• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo! Birdo!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
kilroy said:
are we going to get a second count, or should i just go ahead and add this tally to the first page?
Add it for now. Someone else can tally later.

Takamaru was only three times? Aww...

Still better than *snicker* Sora and all those other craptacular third party suggestions :laugh: :laugh:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Here are my opinions for these characters:

King Dedede: He has the highest chance at entering, because Sakurai created him and many people want him, but he'll probably be a semi-clone or clone of Kirby.

Diddy Kong: Because Donkey Kong is the only Donkey Kong character in there, and Diddy Kong has a special attack of his own: His electric guitar.

Geno: SquareSoft might not let Nintendo use him, but I hear many people want him in.

Ike: He'll either replace Roy, or be added next to him.

Ridley: I doubt he would enter, because he is about as large as Giga Bowser and he flies almost forever, which makes him good for cheaters.

Captain Olimar & Pikmin:
I'm not sure if they would enter, because I don't see other good moves that Captain Olimar has besides Pikmin.

Krystal: While Sakurai is removing most clones, I believe he'll replace Falco Lombardi with Krystal, because she is more unique.

Takamaru: Another unique swordsman, but Sakurai might include him, because Sakurai said that he will not add too many Japan-Only characters.

Young Link (Cel-shaded version): As the OOT Adult Link was changed into the TP Adult Link, Sakurai would modify the OOT Young Link into the Cel-Shaded Young Link, because the cel-shaded version is still being used today.

Animal Crossing Male/Female: I doubt he/she/both would enter, would they be fighting with a fishing rod, a bug-catching net, or what?

Claus: He isn't as major as Lucas.

Demiru/Demille: Very unique, but he might either be a trophy or a playable character. Also, Sakurai will not add too many Japan-Only characters.

Isaac: Pretty unique, but will CAMELOT let Nintendo use him?

Jeff: Either Sakurai would add Ninten, Ness, and Lucas, add the MOTHER 2/SNES EarthBound Chosen Four, MOTHER 3/GBA EarthBound characters, or add them as trophies.

Kawasima: He might be the owner of the Hands, but as a playable character, I doubt it.

King K.Rool: Donkey Kong might need a villain, but I hope Sakurai won't add too many characters from one popular title. I'm not saying three is too much, I really mean like 3 characters times the number of popular franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, MOTHER/EarthBound, Pokemon, Star Fox, etc.) wouldn't let them have enough room to add some obscure characters.

Lip: Very unique, but will they let SSBB stay in Japan, switch her with someone else, or just release it outside of Japan? Also, Sakurai doesn't want too many Japan-Only characters.

Lucas: He might be included with Ninten and Ness.

Mega Man: Didn't Sakurai said that he and Nintendo are looking forward to adding him and other 3RD-Party characters?

Oguma: Pretty good, but like what I said about King K. Rool. Again, Sakurai doesn't want to add too many Japan-Only characters.

Ouendan: They are probably not suitable enough to fight (eventhough I submitted and Josh added them), and/or they are owned by iNiS (the people responsible for Gitaroo Man).

AND

Sukapon: Very unique and has appeared in an obscure (and Japan-Only) 2D fighting title. Again, Sakurai doesn't want to add too many Japan-Only characters.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
Add it for now. Someone else can tally later.

Takamaru was only three times? Aww...

Still better than *snicker* Sora and all those other craptacular third party suggestions :laugh: :laugh:
I hope you didn't include Simon Belmont or Megaman in the craptacular category... But yeah, pretty much all of the other 3rd party suggestions sucked major.

And 3 suggestions for Takamaru was very good. The most received for a single character, Dedede I think (I really hope he dosen't make the cut, though), was 5, and all others were lucky to get 2, so he did very well.

Shark X

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Mega Man: Didn't Sakurai said that he and Nintendo are looking forward to adding him and other 3RD-Party characters?
I've never heard that, but I hope it's true. For 12 years, I always pictured Mario, Sonic, and Megeman at the top three video game characters of all time. I would love to see Sonic and Megaman in it, and set the computer for a 1 on 1 on 1 match, on max difficulty with Mario, Sonic and Megaman.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, I didn't include Bomberman, Simon, or Mega in that :p Sora is one of the worst ideas EVER, and I still think Sonic is lamer than a 3-legged dog these past few years.

Okay, firstly, let's correct this whole Japan-only thing:
Sakurai said that since SSB is now a world-renowned franchise, he has new expectations to live up to. But he may not axe Japan-Only characters entirely, because it worked incredibly well for Marth and Roy. So he never said anywhere he would not add Japan-Only characters; I found this correction myself in the Mike Jones for SSBB topic, if you recall. He was just implying that he'll try and keep himself from going overboard.

THAT ASIDE... My own thoughts!

King Dedede: Most voted character, and I can see him in the game. He's Sakurai's own creation, Kirby's villain, and Kirby is one of the major franchises that is lacking rep. And Dedede would work fine as an original character; no need to clone him off Kirby.

Diddy Kong: DKC is popular in Japan, but it would be a bigger slap in the face to ignore it a third time as it's very, very popular in the Western world (esp. Europe). Diddy is the best choice for an addition to the game, and he can certainly be original.

Geno: The character isn't going anywhere in Squeenix's hands, and they already lent him out to Nintendo/Alphadream for Mario and Luigi. Considering how popular he is as a suggestion, and the praise him and MaRPGio are given in the letters asking for him, Sakurai will definitely have to at least think twice about discluding this character. It shouldn't be difficult to get a little gift from Squeenix, considering Oematsu is doing the score as well (he's a freelancer these days, but Square still holds onto him dearly).

Ike: Probably replaces Roy. Marth will definitely stay, but Roy has the chance to get the axe. FE9 is VERY popular in Japan, as it went back to the older-style of the games, leaving the GBA gameplay behind. He's a new character too, and I think new characters get special treatment, since they need to become established characters and SSB offers that "immortality" :p

Ridley: Eh. I used to hate the idea, but now that I think of it, playing as him WOULD be fun :laugh: He's requested a LOT, and Sakurai has this weird idea that including a buttload of Metroid things into the game will be his major contribution to the Western fans (>.<). If Zamus isn't a full character, the series WILL be getting an original second fighter, and this one is a pretty popular, and unique, suggestion.

Captain Olimar & Pikmin: Captain Olimar = newer franchise character, and hella-unique. He might be too difficult to program, considering the Pikmin, BUT if they can manage, I can see him getting in there because of the sheer originality of his gameplay. Of course, it's more likely Pikmin will just be items, or Olimar a hazard...

Krystal: Star Fox is getting more popular by the minute (furries :p), and it has a pretty colorful cast. Krystal is unique, and a female, both things the game could use. I don't know so much about replacing Falco, as he is the original Fox moveset/stats from SSB64, with minor changes; Sakurai really loved Fox in that game, and wouldn't want to ditch "him" in any form.

Takamaru:
My personal favorite idea EVER. Nazo no Murasame not only cameoed in Pikmin 2, but was chosen to be remade for GBA as part of the Famicom Classics Collection (along with Kid Icarus *natch*). If that isn't reason enough, I don't know what is. He's a samurai, he'd be more unique than the rest of the swordfighters, and his game is very fondly remembered and still popular to this day. If Sakurai were to include even just one more Japan-only character, this would be it. I'm 99% confident he will appear.

Wind Waker Link: It's a strong possibility, but to make room for more characters, he may just axe a new Link altogether. The thing is, this version of Young Link is still widely used today, so it has a good chance of appearing too. Hmm... I might have to leave this one up in the air.

Animal Crossing Person: I don't see it. Firstly, there's no real name. Secondly, the moves would be really... lame. If anything were to appear from AC, which I'm sure something will, we'll get a stage and some items. Items are far more likely (Link grabs a Cabana Chair, and smashes Samus over the head with it, while Ness yanks Link from behind with his Golden Fishing Rod XD)

Claus: If they include a Mother 3 character, my money is actually on Kumatora, but that's me. Claus looks cooler than Lucas, but Lucas IS the star. If anything, we either see Lucas and Claus as a duo, Lucas appear with Claus as a hidden costume, or neither appears, and we get Flint, Duster, or Kumatora :p There will DEFINITELY be Mother 3 representation, though. I can guarantee it.

Demiru/Demille: Wildly unique character idea. Again, you can say "lol japan only, can't be in," but Sakurai never actually said he wouldn't do it. If anything, this is a prompt to release Tomato Adventure stateside. Isn't the game getting a DS sequel anyways? Oh, and Demiru is very popular, so... yeah. I can see him appearing. Definitely.

Isaac: If he doesn't fight with his sword as his main attack, but is more like Link, then yes, he will appear. Ragnarok would so pwn as his Super Smash. But casting spells should be more of a focus than combat, because, well, that's more original :p And Camelot is second party to Nintendo right now, so Nintendo owns Golden Sun's SOOOOUUUULLLL

Jeff: Unlikely. Mother 3 will come first for representation after Ness, and beyond that, I doubt the series will see more characters. It's really popular, but they might want to focus on Mother 3 first, or include somebody from Mother 1.

Kawasima: Final boss. Definitely. We all expect it, but we'll still be crapping our pants when we see it :laugh:

King K.Rool: I have NEVER liked King K. Rool. He's so generic it's not funny. He could appear, but after they include more original characters, which will probably bump him down a peg or ten. SSB4...

Lip: Change Lip's Stick to something else, and you've got a fine character idea going for ya.

Lucas: Read Claus ^

Mega Man: Sakurai has never said anywhere, to my knowledge, specifically that he wanted Mega Man to appear. BUT he is a logical, and likely, choice. My theory of third party characters being ones that have been "Nintendo" at some point points to him as a great choice.

Oguma: Pretty obscure. He's the kind of character Sakurai meant to avoid with Japan-only suggestions (unlike Lip or Takamaru, who can just as easily be "world" characters).

Ouendan: Better as a stage hazard or item, as cool as they would be :p

Sukapon: YAY! Very cool idea, and I can see it. Definitely. What a great nod to Nintendo's older straight fighting series from its latest (though I guess Joy Mech Fight would be the fourth, if you count Punch-Out, Pro Wrestling, and Urban Champion XD). He has that Japan-only issue, but I doubt it would matter. The only problem I can foretell is idiots thinking he's a 3D Game and Watch.

GenG

Smash Lord
I think the final roster will be very similar to FliTroopa's, but I'd add Stafy and Ray too. Stafy is very popular and versatile guy in Japan and could be one of the few lucky nippon characters to appear, and Ray is the main robot of a franchise with 4 games (the 5th is going to be released this year on DS and it's planned for the US too) that would add a good tactical projectile strategy to the game. Plus Ray latest design is breathtaking and we need a robo fighter.

And these two fit for the "franchises balance" that Sakurai is trying to achieve with Brawl.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
You're kind of right with the Ray thing, but don't you ever question FlipTroopas Genius Mind. Oh, BTW, what about Little Mac?

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
That's a cast I can live with. I'm really missing Ray 01 and Dark Samus, though. I'm not much of a Mother fan, so I'd rather have one or both than Claus/Lucas.

Also, I disagree with Isaac's moves. I'd be a little upset if Ragnarok makes it in before Oddyssey, and it shouldn't be his super smash. There are much better GS attacks out there, like Armegeddon or some of the more powerful summons (Judgement, Eclipse, Catastrophe, Iris, etc).

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN MEGAMAN

its so cool!!! like Shark-X said MArio. Sonic and Megaman always had been the best characters of all time! sooo!! MEGAMAN MEGAMAN.
And about the count of characters just look the Megaman's Topic LOL!!!

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Wait! when we counted the number of times a character has appeared did we include the letters about "Music" and "Support etc." or jsut those distinctly labeled "Character"? I ask because there were often little interjections and random requests outside of the selected subject.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Claus: If they include a Mother 3 character, my money is actually on Kumatora, but that's me. Claus looks cooler than Lucas, but Lucas IS the star. If anything, we either see Lucas and Claus as a duo, Lucas appear with Claus as a hidden costume, or neither appears, and we get Flint, Duster, or Kumatora There will DEFINITELY be Mother 3 representation, though. I can guarantee it.
I'd rather they wait on Claus until Mother 3 actually MAKES it into America. I've said countless times before people: Claus may look like just a copy of his twin brother Lucas but unless you've completed Mother 3 or at least know the story, then you don't know about how much of a significant role he has or just what abilities make him stand out from Lucas. Unless he's a clone or the two are fighting Ice Climbers' style, giving him his own moves from the game will really and I mean REALLY slap us in the face with spoilers. I certaintly don't doubt Lucas or another Mother 3 character won't make it into Brawl since Melee was originally going to have Lucas playable but Mother 3's 64 version getting cancelled certaintly made that a bust, but I really think Claus should be prevented for the time being.

King K.Rool: I have NEVER liked King K. Rool. He's so generic it's not funny. He could appear, but after they include more original characters, which will probably bump him down a peg or ten. SSB4...
Excuse me? Generic? The guy's walked around as a king, pirate captain, mad scientist, and boxer. He's got a vast majority of moves to pull from in his games. K. Rool has more personality than Bowser does outside of the RPGs!

Isaac: If he doesn't fight with his sword as his main attack, but is more like Link, then yes, he will appear. Ragnarok would so pwn as his Super Smash. But casting spells should be more of a focus than combat, because, well, that's more original And Camelot is second party to Nintendo right now, so Nintendo owns Golden Sun's SOOOOUUUULLLL
You forget that he's also important in the sense that we need an Earth-based element fighter as well! We've seen a lot of guys use fire, ice, darkness, and electricity as attack effects. And earth-based user is needed and there's no better choice for that than Issac or Felix. And I can see Issac being needed first before we consider Felix as a character.

Mega Man: Sakurai has never said anywhere, to my knowledge, specifically that he wanted Mega Man to appear. BUT he is a logical, and likely, choice. My theory of third party characters being ones that have been "Nintendo" at some point points to him as a great choice.
Funny story about that. Megaman might be a hit or miss idea. Sure we want the old-school NES guy but we might get the Battle Network one instead. Just listen for a minute:

We all know about Snake getting in due to Hideo Kojima's influence right? Well Kojima also made the Boktai series. Now his son is a big fan of Rockman.exe (Megaman Battle Network to us Americans) and he's good buddies with Capcom. Now you know why Battle Network games 4-6 have GunDelSol chips and other refferences to Boktai.

If he can get Boktai cameos in every BN game past 4, then THINK of what might happen if he finds out that Capcom agrees to include Megaman as a Brawl character? Remember, Sakurai gave in to his begging for Snake. (of course, it doesn't bother me. I like BN Megaman and I can see a lot more potential in his moves.)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bowser85 said:
Funny story about that. Megaman might be a hit or miss idea. Sure we want the old-school NES guy but we might get the Battle Network one instead. Just listen for a minute:

We all know about Snake getting in due to Hideo Kojima's influence right? Well Kojima also made the Boktai series. Now his son is a big fan of Rockman.exe (Megaman Battle Network to us Americans) and he's good buddies with Capcom. Now you know why Battle Network games 4-6 have GunDelSol chips and other refferences to Boktai.

If he can get Boktai cameos in every BN game past 4, then THINK of what might happen if he finds out that Capcom agrees to include Megaman as a Brawl character? Remember, Sakurai gave in to his begging for Snake. (of course, it doesn't bother me. I like BN Megaman and I can see a lot more potential in his moves.)
UUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK :scared:

Shark X

Smash Lord
If they give us Battle Network Megaman, I'll never forgive Nintendo, Capcom, or Konami...thats like, three groups right there. If they give us X, slightly forgivable, but still bad. It's Megaman all the way dammit...

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I'm bumping this topic because it's the only one that matters.

[well more than the others anyway.]

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Pvt. Falcon said:
What's so bad about Waluigi?
He's just a superfluous Mario chracter designed to accompany Wario. He doesn't really even have any personality or backstory and he might as well be a prop.

And to quote the authorities: He sucks.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Were there more than one Little Mac submission accepted? If so, then me and FlipTroopa forgot to put him on the list.

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Master_Sheik said:
Your opinion has been duly noted, but nonetheless, I doubt it. IE...yoshi and DK were originally from Mario games; however, they both have their own unique symbol.
That's because they have games with their apperances multiple times as the main character. They developed a name for themselves, and now they have their own symbols.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yes, I agree with those who said Megaman X would be better than classic Megaman...those games were so hard.

James Bond was put on that list because Goldeneye for the N64 was a huge success.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Super Smash Master said:
Why is James Bond on the list? He would be the worst character ever...
Nah, he would be just a Snake clone. But James Bond is a movie character and should not be in SSBB.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
Yes, I agree with those who said Megaman X would be better than classic Megaman...those games were so hard.

James Bond was put on that list because Goldeneye for the N64 was a huge success.
If James Bond can enter, then Popeye can, because the Popeye arcade by Nintendo became fairly successful and was being ported to home consoles, including the NES/Famicom. It also became an edutainment game where it taught the Japanese about English. Even Parker Brothers made a board game based on the exact arcade game. I'm not saying I want Popeye in SSBB, I'm just saying that Popeye has a pretty good chance at entering, eventhough he is a cartoon character owned by King Features. Popeye is probably one of Shigeru Miyamoto's favorite cartoon characters.

icymatt

Smash Lord
If the (very, very, very, very unlikely chance) James Bond could be in Smash, which era would he would be?

I would assume most people think Brosnan era, because that's the Bond of that particular game(Goldeneye), but would anyone want someone using an outdated Bond when Daniel Craig is taking the reins in the movies?

This is, of course, if Bond had any chance of being in Smash, which he doesn't. Activision has the game rights right now, I believe.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sorry about the absence, guys. Family moved, and well, you know what goes along with all that :laugh: But I'm back, and trying to catch up :p

James Bond WAS on the list, but I think it was more "heh, that's a funny idea" instead of "OMG! I am Sakurai and I WILL put Bond in this game." The polls... let's be honest: they're not that significant. It gives Sakurai and his team a good idea of what people want, sure. But he's not going to include everything from that list, and he's definitely not using it as his guideline. So I think if we come across entries that say things LIKE James Bond, then it does everything EXCEPT give credit to the poll's worth as our defined "rough draft of ideas." Lupus appears there as well, and it's pretty unlikely that he could participate, Rare having been dissolved into Microsoft.

Also, Sakurai made a comment that he was sick of manga character submissions. Yet he accepted James Bond. Methinks he was getting a torrent of "LOL SAILOR MOON" letters, and just decided to kill it at the source (despite how cool seeing manga characters in the game would be XD). James Bond, on the other hand, was probably a one-in-a-million submission. It's a Western franchise that's probably not too familiar with the typical Japanese individual sending in their letter to Sakurai, and, well, it's a funky idea. It could never work (why would MGM want to give up a license to such an established movie franchise?), but it's cool to share nonetheless. Not an idea he would implement, but something to show off to visitors of his site.

Catch my drift? :lick:

Top Bottom