• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Shark X said:
Bull. It doesn't take a fan boy to know that Sonic, of all 3rd party characters has the best chance. I HATED Sonic games every since Sonic Adventure 2, which is where the series took a turn for the worse, but even I know Sonic has a great chance. You attacking me just because I was stating a fact, and claiming it was a pathetic post because of a fact, you have no reason to argue here, and less of a reason to attack me.
I KNOW HE HAS THE BEST CHANCE!! I'M JUST ATTACKING PEOPLE WHO SAY OHH HE'S IN HE'S IN WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN EVEN CONFIRMED YET!!!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE ONE OF THEM!! MY BAD!!!

That being said, can we just stop this? I mean, were arguing about a game that hasn't been realesed yet and characters we have no power over. Let's just kick back and wait till the next announcement. Hopefully we'll get our dreamed characters in, let them work on their game, and enjoy it when it's realesed.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm haveing a really good night O.o This is the third fight that someone else started that actually ended on the same night withone anyone being insulted or attacked. I'm haveing the first good night in years...I can't waste this good night, I must think of something I can do to use this once in a life time good night...maybe I can think of a cure for world hunger...or better yet, MAYBE I CAN FINALLY BEAT BOWSER ON WORLD 8-4 OF SUPER MARIO BROS. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! Oh this is going to be a goooood night finally XD

And my dream character Meta-Knight is already in. Come to think of it...that was a good night to...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Actually, if you look at how it stands now, somebody from Konami or Hudson has the best chance. They're already working with Nintendo on Brawl (Hudson now being a part of Konami), so there's less of an effort or loss of profit than if they went after Sega for Sonic. Irregardless, Naka left Sonic Team, and Sega is focusing Sonic Team on other projects outside of Nintendo. For fear of being flamed, I will leave my comments at just that. You discern what they mean for you.

A few other comments:

--It was Rockman and Forte in Japan. There is no Megaman 9, that was only the name given to the ROM by some numbskull who didn't know his Megaman games :p

--The fighting games you are thinking of are Megaman: The Power Battles and Megaman II: The Power Fighters, both Arcade games and unlockable in Megaman Anniversary Collection. Pretty tight games, if you ask me; I love Power Fighters a lot :)

--A character's appearance or lack thereof on this polls means nothing other than Sakurai did/did not accept the letter requesting that character, if there was one sent to him. This list is not a list of characters appearing, it is just a list of ideas or comments Sakurai felt fine with sharing publicly. It is evident that by including James Bond and Lupus amongst the character suggestions, he's not really serious about whether such and such character will be appearing in the game. It's just a cool idea if he posts it. It increases the likelihood of possible characters if he sees they are more popular (i.e. Geno, Dedede, Takamaru, who have all appeared many times), but it's obvious that someone like Sora or James Bond, who are far out of reach, will never appear in this game, at least at this stage.

--This is a discussion of characters on the poll, not an argument about Sonic.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
You never beated Super Mario Bros.?

Anyways arguments annoy me. The only time they're fun is when I'm not part of it. Especially those PS3 ones, they are so hilarious!

Shark X

Smash Lord
Then why did Sakurai...or shiggy...or whoever said it, say they are in discussion with OTHER companies? Hudson huh? Bomberman in the house! XD

From what I read, Megaman and Bass (thought the japanese name was Rockman 9), pretty much is Megaman 9, and the final Megaman game (not counting X or EXE). God I miss those Megaman games and days...

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Don't forget "The Studio"! We don't have much information about it! The only clue we have about them is that when they were assinged with Sakurai, they just finished a multi-selling game. We are sure to see a character from that company.

I bet $100 on Square-Enix, because they just realesed a great selling game, Kingdom Hearts II.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Uh...didja look at the timing? He was introduced to "The Studio" back in October or so, of last year. They also played a LOT of Smash Bros. Melee. If you look at the developers closest to Nintendo, which it was implied they were one, the only reasonable response, in my mind, is Ganbarion. Ganbarion had just finished Jump Superstars, which plays JUST like SSB for DS, with all those wonderful manga heroes. Why wouldn't they have played a lot of Melee, if it inspired their own Nintendo published fighter.

Other forums have debated Camelot as the studio as well, and a few others Flagship, from Capcom. Camelot had just finished a big title (I forget what it was; Mario Power Tennis Advance can't be it, can it?), and Flagship had The Minish Cap earlier in the year.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Uh...didja look at the timing? He was introduced to "The Studio" back in October or so, of last year. They also played a LOT of Smash Bros. Melee. If you look at the developers closest to Nintendo, which it was implied they were one, the only reasonable response, in my mind, is Ganbarion. Ganbarion had just finished Jump Superstars, which plays JUST like SSB for DS, with all those wonderful manga heroes. Why wouldn't they have played a lot of Melee, if it inspired their own Nintendo published fighter.

Other forums have debated Camelot as the studio as well, and a few others Flagship, from Capcom. Camelot had just finished a big title (I forget what it was; Mario Power Tennis Advance can't be it, can it?), and Flagship had The Minish Cap earlier in the year.
Hmm.. true true. Maybe Camelot is it? Oh i dunno, I guess I'll just wait it out.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
If I could have my wish, then "The Studio" would be Treasure.

Hey, a man can dream, and you know that would kick all sorts of arse.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kal aMari said:
If I could have my wish, then "The Studio" would be Treasure.

Hey, a man can dream, and you know that would kick all sorts of arse.
THAT was the other one. I KNEW there was a fourth being tossed around :laugh: :laugh:

The only problem was that Treasure had no HUGE games, unless you count Gunstar Heroes Advance or whatever it was called (which IS huge that Gunstar Heroes was coming back, but it wasn't exactly a "hot commodity")

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
This is important; could someone point me to where exactly on the poll "Lolo and Lala" show up?

Also, just to clear something up, "Banker" refers to the robot whichs handles your save & load functions in Mario Paint. (ala, "Memory bank")

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
¿What about the Guardian?
She appears in Guardian Legend.
She could match Samus, since she also wears an armor >(

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Cheer Squad (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!)

Kalas (Batten Kaitos)

Megaman (Megaman)

Claus (MOTHER 3)

Lucas (MOTHER 3)

King K. Rool (DK Country)

King Dedede (Kirby)

Geno (Super Mario Bros. RPG)

Professor Kawashima (Brain Age)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem)

Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!!!)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!!!)

G-Red (Gotchaforce)

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros.)

Oguma (Fire Emblem)

Captain Olimar (Pikmin)

Lip (Panel de Pon)

Ike (Fire Emblem)

Black Knight (Fire Emblem)

Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Lolo and Lala (Kirby)

Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo)

Princess Katia (Lost Kingdom)

Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)

Colonel Volgin (Metal Gear Solid 3)

Lupus (Jet Force Gemini)

Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)

Link (Wind Waker)

Ninten (MOTHER)

Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Ridley (Metroid)

Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)

Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!)
Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!)

Diddy & Dixie Kong (DK Country) [Ice Climber-type is sugested]

Jeff (Earthbound)

Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima)

Power Pro (Jikkyo Power Pro Baseball)

Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)

Tetra (Wind Waker)

Harry (Teleroboxer)
Harry (Teleroboxer)

James Bond (Goldeneye)

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)

Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)

Mia (Fire Emblem)

Krystal (Star Fox)

Peppy (Star Fox)

Slippy (Star Fox)

Wolf (Star Fox)

Petey Piranha (Mario Sunshine)

Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past)

Dr. Wright (Sim City)

Thomas (Kung-Fu)

Infantry (Famicom Wars)

Blue Virus (Dr. Mario)

Isaac (Golden Sun)

Urban Champion guys

Nabaru (Fire Emblem)

Magnus (Ogre Battle)
Magnus (Ogre Battle)

Furil (Panel de Pon 2)

Palutenia (Kid Icarus)
Palutenia (Kid Icarus)

Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)

Felix (Golden Sun)

Chain Chomp (Mario)

Koopa Troopa (Mario)

Muddy (Mole Mania)

Famicom Detective Club characters

Banker (Mario Paint)
??????????????????

Marx (Kirby Superstar)

Vivian (Paper Mario)

Hero/Heroine (Magical Vacation)

Gardevoir (Pokemon)

Soren (Fire Emblem)

Jill (Drill Dozer)
Jill (Drill Dozer)

Demille (Tomato Adventure)

Human (Animal Crossing)

Mallow (Super Mario RPG)

Master Hand (Super Smash Bros.)

List Reformatted to decrease sloppiness you stoopid forum newbs :p Also, I added another pic of Magnus ^^
It's the in-game sprite and I think it conveys his character a little better.

[remember though, to copy it, you'll have to click the quote button.]

[EDIT 2: List revised with the REAL Mia]

Thine_Eyes_Deception

Smash Rookie
Prof. Kawashima, Cheer Squad, James Bond, and Dr. Wright are perhaps the most random character suggestions for a game I have ever seen...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Shark X said:
Then why did Sakurai...or shiggy...or whoever said it, say they are in discussion with OTHER companies? Hudson huh? Bomberman in the house! XD

From what I read, Megaman and Bass (thought the japanese name was Rockman 9), pretty much is Megaman 9, and the final Megaman game (not counting X or EXE). God I miss those Megaman games and days...
When he said OTHER companies, he meant "NOT NINTENDO!!" :rolleyes:

And for all intensive purposes, yes, Rockman and Forte is Megaman 9, but it's not called that, because Capcom considers it a spinoff title.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
We don't know for certain that they meant JUST non nintendo. Maybe they wanted to utilize the vague quality of the English word "other" to drop a hint. But still, it's a maybe.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
From what I read, Megaman and Bass (thought the japanese name was Rockman 9), pretty much is Megaman 9
No, Megaman & Bass is Megaman 8.5. Notice how none of the numerical Megaman titles reuse robot masters yet this one brings back both Tenguman AND Astroman? If Capcom were truly going to make Megaman & Bass as Megaman 9, we'd have 8 new guys instead of 6 new ones and two from MM8.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that Wily isn't the final boss; King is. It's more like Rockman Gaiden than anything.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
first page updated with working links, with thanks to bruk and resting fox.

last few character images still needed.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of MegaMan&Bass....

The Japanese name was RockMan and Forte. Not RockMan 9. The only title Capcom considers a spinoff of the MegaMan series is the Battle Network/EXE series, but if you meant having no real relation to the storyline, it does. It served to show MegaMan's flexibility before MegaMan 8... as it was made before 8, when Capcom was trying to show Sony that it was worth putting on the Playstation. If that doesn't prove it's not number 9, nothing does. =P

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
It DOES prove however that it came after Megaman 8 chronologically as Bass still has his evil energy and Tenguman and Astroman are in it looking for revenge. But alas, it's not truly Megaman 9.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Ah, nice update! Now people can see who folks like Takamaru are ;)

EDIT: The last few pics shouldn't be hard to find at all, just need a server to toss them on.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
The Guardian must be recommended ¡¡DO SOMETHING!!

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
dyna, the poll is now closed.

pics updated.

also, is there anyway to get this stickied now that it's done? it's part of the only information available to us for quite some time.

just a thought.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Kilroy for the props and Resting_Fox for finishing my work. :-P

Also on another note:

This is the Tomato Robot. I don't think that's a character contribution, a Special attack for Demiru is my best guess. You decide.

I couldn't find anything else for Banker from Mario Paint. I havo no clue, so I'll have to play the game to find out. Oh, yes. Are you sure that the Mia picture is really corrected? Since I didn't play the game I have no idea.

Thank you everyone for everything again, FlipTroopa included.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yeah, that's definitely Mia. As she looks in Path of Radiance.

And I hereby sign the petition to sticky this. It's one of the only topics not pure speculation.

Now somebody just needs to count how many times each character was mentioned. Whenever I Google translate, it never does the whole page, so if someone could inform me of a better translation tool, I'd probably take up the workload. Otherwise Fliptroopa? Panda? would you mind helping us out. I know Geno, Ridley, Dedede, and Diddy Kong were listed several times. And Demiru and a few others twice.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Geno was mentioned like 4 or 6 times! That's great to know!

I'd also sign the petition to sticky this!! We all worked so hard on this, I think we deserve it. And it's quite official, as it appears in the official smash bros. web site. STICKY NOW!

Can somebody (Fliptroopa, heh) check how was the Tomato Robot mentioned? As a playable character? or as something Demiru could have? If it's the second one then we shouldn't put it as a character (with picture), but could put that picture above with Demiru's/Demille's-

Banker [Mario Paint]
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/BruK_Smash/Banker2.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/BruK_Smash/Banker.jpg
Tomato Robot [Tomato Adventure] (I wouldn't put this as a character petition but as a nice add for Demiru, so if you agree put this in Demille's/Demiru's)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/BruK_Smash/ss04.jpg

parrothead

Smash Lord
ßruK said:
Thank you Kilroy for the props and Resting_Fox for finishing my work. :-P

Also on another note:

This is the Tomato Robot. I don't think that's a character contribution, a Special attack for Demiru is my best guess. You decide.

I couldn't find anything else for Banker from Mario Paint. I havo no clue, so I'll have to play the game to find out. Oh, yes. Are you sure that the Mia picture is really corrected? Since I didn't play the game I have no idea.

Thank you everyone for everything again, FlipTroopa included.
That is an Extreme Attack, but I guess that fan was trying to say that it is his Entrance and/or Extreme Attack.

Here are videos of all of the Extreme Attacks in Tomato Adventure:

Mecha-Mecha Panic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6hg5LNCUk

Tomato Robot MK. II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XP69FUnCw

Sunny Sometimes??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw--jHd7bgE

Gulp Choco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVbFi4wW2s

Mole Rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUZ6GqJQ58

AND

Pasaran's Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv73Dtm-ztg

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
Yeah, that's definitely Mia. As she looks in Path of Radiance.

And I hereby sign the petition to sticky this. It's one of the only topics not pure speculation.

Now somebody just needs to count how many times each character was mentioned. Whenever I Google translate, it never does the whole page, so if someone could inform me of a better translation tool, I'd probably take up the workload. Otherwise Fliptroopa? Panda? would you mind helping us out. I know Geno, Ridley, Dedede, and Diddy Kong were listed several times. And Demiru and a few others twice.
What I've been doing, honestly, is using Google, and just translating the passages that DON'T appear when I do the full page individually in the text translator. That's all. I also know a few "buzz" words, like kiyara meaning character, and I know the names of most Nintendo characters front-and-back (English or Japanese), as well as their games. I'm not really using anything fancy, unless you count a little craftiness and knowledge here and there :lick: But do go for it, if you think you can. I'd appreciate it! :) As far as I can tell, Dedede is the most requested character, appearing about 5 times. Diddy, Geno, Ridley, Ike, and possibly Takamaru have appeared 4 times :) The others I'm not as keen on, though I know for a fact that Demiru has appeared twice, and the old characters from Melee get mentioned a LOT. So more power to ya man! Thanks for taking on the endeavor :chuckle:

AND... I am going back, and rechecking that Tomato Robot bit. Hang on...

Here is the translation from Google; I'll quote it:

Sakurai_Character_Poll said:
"When the instant which looked at the sight, making the new game start for the first time, it seems the way, it seems that goes to the celebration, it became such a feeling. When you taught to the friend, break of the 其 became that story having drill. You think that “the celebration which does not come rarely”, just it is sort of the 其,…! Participation continuance of old [kiyara] requests [zeruda]. The princess who fights. There is the remembering which with lightning kick designates the partner as [kotenpan]. We love also seeking. Story changes, but the “tomato adventure”, we request the participation of protagonist [demiru] to participation [kiyara]. It is unreasonable story with it is to think, but the kana which does not appear with the sibling, with you think. CM around with topic call be, but game as for so have [ru] person…. You think the cuteness of the character and the package that contrarily, very it is the game which is good being funny. The lath boss and stage, the enemy and the various puzzle solving which confront! There [dokadoka] the form of [demiru] which is ventured! Once more, we would like to look at that brave figure, is. The gimmick well enough there is a number it is to think that and, it is all right, but…! [sumaburamaku] (?)Taking, [tomatorobo] participating necessary with shooting skill, companion [kiyara] coming out with the guest, working the gimmick you just imagine the form which fights to be enormous the framework framework it does. This way degree of acknowledgment making low, as for finishing you think that there is no 勿 body enormously. With [sumabura] and sunrise…. Figure participation (this time it probably is certain or) how we ask at least may. While being busy, the long sentence impoliteness it does. Paying attention to game production and the body, please persevere. Very it increases in the pleasure! "
The pain is getting through the meaning of this horrible engrish, but I can manage. He's talking about enjoying the game, obviously, and that Zelda needs to return with her Lightning Kick. Got that. He then says, pretty clearly, that he loves Tomato Adventure, and wants to see the hero, Demiru, appear. Hmm. He talks about the game, and at the very end of his letter says that if he can't be playable, at least give him a trophy. But the confusing part in question I highlighted with red text...

You know, he refers to Tomato Robot as a character that needs to participate, but he says it as "Demiru's companion," with "shooting skills," and the guest (Demiru) working the gimmick. Okay, so I guess it was just an attack idea the guy had for a Super Smash. Sorry bout the confusion, but good thing we got that cleared up :chuckle:

icymatt

Smash Lord
My count of the suggestions looks like this:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)