• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hm. Guess you're all right. ICs are just that good I guess.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
As I said, they both have had their patterns of rising and falling since the game came out.
Diddy has pretty much only risen since the game came out. Unless you count a variablity between 3-5 as rising/falling, this after he climbed from like 21st to 14th to 7th to 7th to 5th etc over the last year.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Watch, soon ICs are gonna take over the tournament scene, then some character is gonna be discovered to be the PERFECT counter to the IC deathgrab, then everybody will flock to that character so they can beat ICs. And MK and Snake will drop to 3rd and 4th place on the tier list.

/I wish

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol overcentralizing toward ic's? i wish as well

peach is pretty good against them, snake ***** them, and just like with snake/ddd, im sure their speed issue would create random problem matchups against some of the mid and lower tiers.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike soft counters the ICs. Jab screws with their grab attempts to a good degree thanks to it's range speed and hitstun, and he's one of the few characters that can deal with the blizzards.

But I don't think he's suddenly going to rise in tournament results if the ICs take over tournaments. >_> Something about MK being a 36-65 match-up, and D3/Falco/Olimar being 3-7 match-ups.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yeah, see? ic's have trouble grabbing some chars. for them, it just comes down to strategy rather than just an overall dominant character like snake or mk

lets see ike try to get past blizzard/block camping though ahah

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Ike soft counters the ICs. Jab screws with their grab attempts to a good degree thanks to it's range speed and hitstun, and he's one of the few characters that can deal with the blizzards.
Lolwhat? Since when was that matchup anything but even?

A 55-45 matchup isn't a "soft counter"

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Of course not.

But how many actually proficient Ikes are you guys facing? :p
(And I'm far from a proficient Ike)

Full hop [short hop would be mostly safe unless of a power shield...] fair (fair range > blizzard, no?), jab to boost pivot grab to bthrow for epic seperation, free semi-fully charged upsmash or fsmash on nana at most moments of seperation (especially Ike's fast throw seperation strategies).

Not agreeing that he counters, but it isn't a stretch to my imagination that he wins purely by completely outranging IC's with strong seperation moves (imagine if D3's ftilt sent the IC's far away? oh my god totally 80:20 in D3's favour).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Atomsk Chudat Hylian Ksizzle and I think one more.
I was like..the first IC player lol I discovered how to Bthrow without having to pivot grab and had all those videos and got them banned in a state >_>.

But yeah I recently started maining them again since the restrictions were taken off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only thing holding back ICs is human error.
AKA having the highest learning curve in the game. Even if the Ice Climbers eventually emerge as a Metaknight counter, I think this fact alone will keep the number of people who seriously compete with the Ice Climbers to a minimum. Well, that and the fact that they have strong stage and character counters.

Add in: Diddy, on the other hand, has potential. He has a high learning curve but I'm personally say it's comparable to Wario or Bowser's and not like someone like ZSS or Pikachu.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Meh IC's aren't that good, but they do have a lot of potential to get better. There just aren't that many people willing to devote themselves to ICs. Don't they get ***** in a few matchups too?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yeah RichBrown, they're kinda like DDD how they can be a dominant character and beat S-tiers, but they also have VERY problematic matchups because of lack of speed or whatever. Some players, however, think IC's can beat every matchup.

Could be true, *shrug*

Nice post kamikaze

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Meh IC's aren't that good, but they do have a lot of potential to get better. There just aren't that many people willing to devote themselves to ICs. Don't they get ***** in a few matchups too?
It really depends on how the other player plays. ROB and Snake, for example, are extremelly hard match ups if the respective players play as outlandishly gay as possible. The Ice Climbers are pretty hard to learn and it takes A LOT of dedication to get really good with them. They're not like most of the cast where you can not play them for a month and get back into things fairly easily. It's all about learning the timing for both the chain grabs and desyncing and these can be fairly easy to forget if you somehow fall out of practice especially when the timing differs not only for every weight class but also % levels too. Some characters like DK and Ike are pretty easy to infinite but characters like Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, and Metaknight take a lot of practice to get down right.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lolwhat? Since when was that matchup anything but even?

A 55-45 matchup isn't a "soft counter"
6-4, not 55-45. Thats what it is on the Ike boards, and thats the number I saw the last time I checked the ICs boards. /late due to medical tests and all of that jazz for the whole morning.

The reasons why have already been covered. When you have a near perfect Ike (basically Kirk/San/anyone else who ever manages to get to that level), it's 6-4. He has tools to deal with dsynced ICs, can easily separate them and can out range any of their attacks. Once they get off stage, aether can seriously screw Nana over.

Problem is, the vast, vast majority of Ikes aren't that good, so most of the time an encounter of ICs vs Ike won't be like that. It will be Ike screwing up.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
why would an ic's desynch against ike? lol unnecessary. how are u gonna fight blizzard and ice block camping man. BLIZZARD!!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Counter > Blizzard.

Ftilt > Blizzard.

Fsmash > Blizzard (in range. No Ike would actually try that one)

Fair > Blizzard.

Jab > Ice block.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
6-4, not 55-45. Thats what it is on the Ike boards, and thats the number I saw the last time I checked the ICs boards. /late due to medical tests and all of that jazz for the whole morning.
Don't even look at the old matchup thread. ICs are 6/4 against rob?

No, don't listen to the old one.

Counter > Blizzard.

Ftilt > Blizzard.

Fsmash > Blizzard (in range. No Ike would actually try that one)

Fair > Blizzard.

Jab > Ice block.
Predict anything other than Fair/Jab, and the ike gets grabbed. Too much cooldown on the other moves.
IMO, it's even, and the MU needs rediscussion. It's too out of date.

Sidenote: I went even (1/1 we only played 2 games) Against Aurturito Burrito last time we played.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Too much cool down? Bair is lagless, and nair has like, 2 frames more landing lag them normal.

chok was talking about using blizzard without dysncing. If ICs do that, Ike can easily Ftilt and hit at least one IC. You can't CG if Nana is busy flying away, possibly off stage.

A_B's defiantly not a bad Ike though. I saw Brett take on some ICs at FS6. He lost because he suicided at 15% during the first match, and it got to him during the second match. Otherwise, he was beating down the ICs. Blizzards didn't do much at all to him.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Too much cool down? Bair is lagless, and nair has like, 2 frames more landing lag them normal.

chok was talking about using blizzard without dysncing. If ICs do that, Ike can easily Ftilt and hit at least one IC. You can't CG if Nana is busy flying away, possibly off stage.

A_B's defiantly not a bad Ike though. I saw Brett take on some ICs at FS6. He lost because he suicided at 15% during the first match, and it got to him during the second match. Otherwise, he was beating down the ICs. Blizzards didn't do much at all to him.
I ment the moves you mentioned that beat blizzard. I know he isn't as laggy as people think he is. Ftilt on shield is pretty bad, predicted counter is instant death, ECT. Not Ike's entire moveset.

IMO, blizzard mostly does one thing: make Ike use his most long range moves possible. He can outrange it, but it makes him more predictable, and being predictable against ICs is horrible. It seems 50/50 to me because both characters are spending the entire match in a guessing game, with obscene risks for both sides (lol at sopo doing much against ike)

Yeah, it really needs rediscussion, and I havent player aruturito in too long (Since SWAT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom