• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sliq

Smash Master
you see this makes me seem like I'm not good in brawl since my main is snake "The Character that wins all the tournies
Well, if you are losing with Snake you probably aren't good, since you lost to someone using one of the best characters in the game.

Also, I think it is ****ing mind boggling that people don't get why characters are low on the list. This list is based off of TOURNAMENT RESULTS, therefore, people aren't placing well in TOURNAMENTS with said characters. The end.

And if you think a certain character is better and should be higher, that just means you are wrong, or no one has implemented that character in tournament play.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
This list looks pretty much right, although Olimar being so low seriously surprises me, I never use him and only know a couple of good moves and no real tactics yet I can still win with him ._.

Nice to see Kirby 14th :)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
And if you think a certain character is better and should be higher, that just means you are wrong, or no one has implemented that character in tournament play.
QFT.

Tier lists can go to hell, results are all that matter.

goodkid

Smash Lord
There is still a lot of time for characters to change positions. There are plenty of characters on this list that have lots of potential, but not many people play them in tournaments and win. Also this list only has tournaments with character results, so its hard to get the complete picture because not every tournament post its results. This is still accurate though, especially S & A rank.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Posting results along with a link to the thread would be best, Darkmusician.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Posting results along with a link to the thread would be best, Darkmusician.
Hawaii Final Smash (3/16/08)
Attendees: 25 (narrowed down to top 16)
Director: Da-Planet
Host: Da-Planet

1: DarkMusician(1 Nintendo Wii and 1 copy of SSBB)-Zelda
2: Spencer Lum-Wolf
3: Terence-Meta Knight
4: Andrew Miyasato-Fox

Hawaii Video Game League (5/10/08)
Attendees: 15
Director: HVGL
Host: Netwerx

Results:
1: DarkMusician($50.00)-Zelda
2: Firefly($25.00)-Marth/Ike
3: Sho(t-shirt)-ROB/Pit
4: Rick(consolation prize)-Lucario
5: Charles(consolation prize)-King Dedede

SBHM 1 (4/26/08)
Attendees: 35
Director: DarkMusician
Host: Firefly

1: AnubisGX ($74) -Lucas
2: Terence ($40) -Meta Knight
3: Firefly ($13 + $7 = $20)-Marth
4: DarkMusician-Zelda
5: Sho-Sheik/ROB
5: Convael-Falco
7: S.Ninja-Kirby
7: Mike-Pikachu

SBHM 2 (5/25/08)
Attendees: 50
Director: DarkMusician
Host: Da-Planet

Results

1st-Merc ($158.00)-Pit/Fox/Donkey Kong
2nd-AnubisGX($45.00)-ROB/Lucas/Game and Watch
3rd-Convael($22.50)-Falco
4th-DarkMusician-Zelda
5th-Superman Ninja-Kirby
5th-Sho-ROB/Marth/Game and Watch
7th-Terence-Meta Knight
7th-SJI-Various

And every month I'll report more results. Videos of SBHM 2 can be seen here.
http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A13216FF62C3D6A2

And the results thread is here.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4587487#post4587487

Kay shootz den.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ironically, you might not now that tier lists ARE based on tournament results...
Ironically, you may or may not know that people in the tier list threads are posting lists with complete ignorance of tourney results.

There are other examples of tier lists not being based on actual gameplay, but I don't care to get into it right now.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Ironically, you may or may not know that people in the tier list threads are posting lists with complete ignorance of tourney results.

There are other examples of tier lists not being based on actual gameplay, but I don't care to get into it right now.
It's because half the people posting their opinions in those threads are scrubs who know jack about this game. Tier lists are accurate for the most part, and can be based on a bit of opinion backed by evidence on top of tournament results, but it's still so early in the game that most discussion of tier lists would only yield half accurate results.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
It's because half the people posting their opinions in those threads are scrubs who know jack about this game. Tier lists are accurate for the most part, and can be based on a bit of opinion backed by evidence on top of tournament results, but it's still so early in the game that most discussion of tier lists would only yield half accurate results.
Stfu, you don't know jack.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

Who cares? Thats them and you said that tier lists can go to hell.
If you are meaning those made by other people then why mention it at all?

jesiahTEG said:
Stfu, you don't know jack.
For a smash debater you do really poorly at trying to disprove him.

Excellence

Smash Champion
This is list is garbage. Obviously, more popular characters are used more often, and as a result, people WILL become very fluent with the character(s). At which point, they'll go to tournaments and compete. What odds sound more likely, 1 really good Yoshi or 100 good Snakes? I think the winner is pretty obvious.

I'm going to stand by my opinion, Snake is garbage. Yes, I said it, go ahead and flame me if you believe you need to, but in my eyes he's garbage. (Yes, I'm a Snake fan, no I'm not biased.) I haven't played a single Snake I couldn't beat, and if you thought hard about his play style, he's not hard to beat. All of his attacks are situational, which means a Snake player will most likely play in a way that counteracts the current play styles of most characters ( the one's you guys are worth training to beat), which turns out to be his fault. If you play in an unorthidox method, you'll most likely win, because they won't know how to handle you.

Firebert

Smash Ace
This thread is a real eye-opener. Wow. I can't believe that Falco is above Fox though, even if only by 12 points. I was sure Falco got nerfed worse than Fox did.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
This is list is garbage. Obviously, more popular characters are used more often, and as a result, people WILL become very fluent with the character(s). At which point, they'll go to tournaments and compete. What odds sound more likely, 1 really good Yoshi or 100 good Snakes? I think the winner is pretty obvious.

I'm going to stand by my opinion, Snake is garbage. Yes, I said it, go ahead and flame me if you believe you need to, but in my eyes he's garbage. (Yes, I'm a Snake fan, no I'm not biased.) I haven't played a single Snake I couldn't beat, and if you thought hard about his play style, he's not hard to beat. All of his attacks are situational, which means a Snake player will most likely play in a way that counteracts the current play styles of most characters ( the one's you guys are worth training to beat), which turns out to be his fault. If you play in an unorthidox method, you'll most likely win, because they won't know how to handle you.
Why don't you come to Esticle and win it so you can prove your point? There'll be lots of Snakes there ready to kick your ***. And if you win? More power to you.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dunno if this was asked yet or whatever but..

I'm curious Ankoku how do you decide on how many characters there are in each rank.

There are only two characters in S rank and 5 for A 4 for B etc etc.

EDIT: I wish sheik would do better :(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do you know how many times I've seen your argument of extremes? Do you know how many times I've addressed it in this thread already? Do you know how ******** it makes your argument look this late into the thread?

You're fully entitled to your opinions, but in case you didn't notice, my list isn't based on opinions. If you really think you're so good, why don't you prove yourself in a tournament and beat the 5 or so Snake players from New England who place at the top all the time?

Excellence

Smash Champion
Why don't you come to Esticle and win it so you can prove your point? There'll be lots of Snakes there ready to kick your ***. And if you win? More power to you.
Are you not understanding what I wrote, or did I just make it unclear? Wioth there being so many more Snake players, it's more likely that one of the Snakes is going to win. Things aren't based on a really equal scale where the best few of each character competes against the other best of each character.

Do you know how many times I've seen your argument of extremes? Do you know how many times I've addressed it in this thread already? Do you know how ******** it makes your argument look this late into the thread?

You're fully entitled to your opinions, but in case you didn't notice, my list isn't based on opinions. If you really think you're so good, why don't you prove yourself in a tournament and beat the 5 or so Snake players from New England who place at the top all the time?
No, no, and absolutely, it does not, it only solidifies the argument being proposed. You are probably misunderstanding what I said too, the odds are more heavily stack against the other characteres, because their numbers are fewer. I didn't say I'd beat all competeing Snakes with Yoshi (fyi, I play Olimar, Pit, and Dedede).

Think about if more people liked Mario and R.O.B., wouldn't they play to master them like they have with Snake? Now imagin these same people came to the tournaments in the same numbers as Snake, wouild he still win? I doubt it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, no, and absolutely, it does not, it only solidifies the argument being proposed. You are probably misunderstanding what I said too, the odds are more heavily stack against the other characteres, because their numbers are fewer. I didn't say I'd beat all competeing Snakes with Yoshi (fyi, I play Olimar, Pit, and Dedede).
The numbers seem quite large for Marth, putting his representation up there. Yet, how many Wario players do you know? And he's up there in A Rank. Yeah, if for some odd reason everyone played Snake (lol New England), then there'd be little room for representation among any other characters, but that rarely is the case. Or are you saying there's a lot of Snakes, making Snake more likely to win? Because that's terrible logic. And, if you're saying Snake is only up there because of popularity and there are characters that can be really good that nobody is using... are you taking everyone else for morons? Tell me, would you pick Bowser or Kirby in Melee because you think they're really amazing characters in competitive play? People naturally gravitate toward what appears to be the strongest character to them, which happens to be one of the 10 or so in the S, A, and B ranks typically. If you're claiming some character isn't able to let his potential shine, well, that's the fault of all the people who use that character and don't represent in tournaments, isn't it?

Think about if more people liked Mario and R.O.B., wouldn't they play to master them like they have with Snake? Now imagin these same people came to the tournaments in the same numbers as Snake, wouild he still win? I doubt it.
That remains to be proven. Using hypothetical situations to argue against objective gathering of data is kind of moronic.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Are you not understanding what I wrote, or did I just make it unclear? Wioth there being so many more Snake players, it's more likely that one of the Snakes is going to win. Things aren't based on a really equal scale where the best few of each character competes against the other best of each character.

It's just like how it was in Melee. In Melee, top Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth players won or placed high in most tournaments largely because those were good characters. In return, people noticed this, and started playing those characters because they felt that playing these characters increased their chance of winning. That further increased their popularity. Every now and then, you'd see someone who played a different character win or place well in a tournament.

So yes, it's somewhat biased based on the fact that these characters are more popular. But a lot of the reason why they're more popular is because they seem to be better at this point in the game. (I say that because who knows how the metagame will develop in a few years) These tournaments in New England are huge, do you think that we haven't seen the occasional Yoshi or Jigglypuff? All the people at the top generally know that if they're going to beat all these Snake players, they have the best chance of doing so with either Snake or a character that does well on him. If someone wins a New England tournament going Jigglypuff straight through, that'd be awesome.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Looks like people are getting better using Falco which is good (I saw him on C last time).

And Wario is on the rise too. My friend is gonna die happy now. :laugh:

I don't like the look of King Dedede's position. But I won't doubt it after seeing a Dedede Ditto at my local tournament. Chain grab after chain grab for almost the entire match...... urg *shivers*

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
hmm... this list doesn't take into accaout that some characters are just played more often than others. I think you should account for this discrepency somehow.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
There are some that might be a little higher if more people played them, or if less people played Snake and Meta.... But people do play better characters more often anyway (looks at every fighting game ever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom