• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchup Help (COME HERE FOR ALL MATCHUP QUESTIONS)

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I've been playing against some guys Ike online for a bit, its a solid connection, not so much lag. And everytime I try to approach his jab's (A,a,a) hit me. And even when I'm spacing Ike will approach me with his Side B and then he instantly uses his jab attack after side b. I cant sidestep it, with a volley of attacks like that. And when I do come at him sometimes he'll shield my attack and immediately counter with his jabs. If it wasnt for those jabs of Ike's he would be easy to beat. And I'm just wondering, which of MK's attacks comes out faster than Ike's jab. The only one I know of is MK's "A" move but I can get punished from it later. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Help. 0_o
Ike's jab combos are easy enough to avoid if you know what you're doing. Just don't get caught in them, he can keep you in it for ages, then all it takes is a lucky uair to send you flying.

If he starts jabbing and you're close in, or if you know he's going to use side-b to approach you, shield, then either roll past him and do whatever to punish or shield grab since everyone has super armor while grabbing in this game. Or, you can not shield and instead Mach Tornado. It pisses Ike players off so much when you MT them out of their side B.

If you're far away and can't find a way to approach, just MT in there. He can't do anything fast enough to stop you, and if he shields successfully, get out of there or you'll be in a world of hurt.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Ike's jab combos are easy enough to avoid if you know what you're doing. Just don't get caught in them, he can keep you in it for ages, then all it takes is a lucky uair to send you flying.

If he starts jabbing and you're close in, or if you know he's going to use side-b to approach you, shield, then either roll past him and do whatever to punish or shield grab since everyone has super armor while grabbing in this game. Or, you can not shield and instead Mach Tornado. It pisses Ike players off so much when you MT them out of their side B.

If you're far away and can't find a way to approach, just MT in there. He can't do anything fast enough to stop you, and if he shields successfully, get out of there or you'll be in a world of hurt.
Rolling past them sounds like a good idea. As long as the Ike player doesnt catch onto it. Then he might side b, do first jab, jab cancel into downsmash. But its may be possible to move out of the way of his downsmash or shield it afterward. I'll see how I'll do the next time I play him.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
So vs game and watch, does he just get free d.smash and f.smash on MK when he down throws him? I'm sitting here mashing L / R AND left and right trying to get something when he throws me but I just get hit and die at ******** percents. That matchup is horrible.

Zephyr

Smash Lord

OK,

1. Use DI. It's your friend. It wants to help you. mashing L/R won't do anything in time, and mashing random directions won't do anything either.

2. Use the Ice Climbers rule that I make myself follow. DON'T GET GRABBED.

3. Why is he in any position to grab you? Be a lot more aggressive and the last thing he'll be thinking about is grabbing you.

If that doesn't do anything, then give up and Mach Tornado the **** out of him. Or just unplug his controller. It's about at the same gayness level.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
At some point or another he WILL block a move and I WILL get grabbed. I don't care about theory fighter. I just want to know what to do when I do get grabbed. This is online play so I can't just be balls to the wall aggressive or I'll get rocked by random smashes.

As far as I could tell, DI didn't matter. I get put on the ground and can't do anything long enough to get hit by f.smash. How would DI help in this case?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Space well and this won't happen.
And if you don't space well, go back to Melee and pick up Marth until you CAN space well. It's essential in any fighter, even one as bad as Brawl.

You don't DI the grab if it does nothing. You DI the attack. Go watch some of Ken's old videos and you'll see what I mean. Or that crazy Jigglypuff player who doublestick DI's to rests. DIing killer attacks is essential to survival. When I'm stupid enough to fall into one of DK's f-smashes, I just DI it and live. ;)

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Ugh, I know how to play the game. I'm just asking if his f.smash is guaranteed after a d.throw or if there is a way to avoid it. Is it that hard to answer straight forward?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
how can i avoid a DK Fsmash when im deep in his Dtilt combo and forced trippin (when tripped done right he can do a nonpowered fsmash on me)

how can i di out of it O_o cause it always hits me...

and also i get suckd into gnw neutral a >_< how do i di out of that too :\?

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
how can i avoid a DK Fsmash when im deep in his Dtilt combo and forced trippin (when tripped done right he can do a nonpowered fsmash on me)

how can i di out of it O_o cause it always hits me...

and also i get suckd into gnw neutral a >_< how do i di out of that too :\?
I would say DI is your best shot in the opposite direction or to upwards but if your DEEP in it the FS is inevitable... so try to avoid these situation

DI in the direction the same way as the momentum you could shake loose before it hits all of it's hits

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I would say DI is your best shot in the opposite direction or to upwards but if your DEEP in it the FS is inevitable... so try to avoid these situation

DI in the direction the same way as the momentum you could shake loose before it hits all of it's hits
ty that actually helped alot...i can never figure out how to DI properly and cause u mentioned the momentum bit i fully understand how it works now TY SO MUCH =D u just improved my game by loads ty i appreciate it ^^

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
ty that actually helped alot...i can never figure out how to DI properly and cause u mentioned the momentum bit i fully understand how it works now TY SO MUCH =D u just improved my game by loads ty i appreciate it ^^
Your welcome... and yeah and for mk's proper DIing is vital

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Jeez. I take a trip to Europe and the thread dies.

There seriously aren't any questions?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
*hugs Skyflyer*

Oi, it's been a while since I've thought about this game. Hmm...MK vs. ZSS? Your approach will vary depending on the type of stage you're fighting on. If you're on a stage with platforms, you should utilize the mach tornado's ability to hit below platforms as much as possible to irritate your opponent. You'll also use dair from above quite a bit. A helping of Dimensional Cape helps quite a bit in that situation too, since it's rare that people run into a MK that uses the move regularly. My best advice for the blaster and whip is to go where they won't be. Try it and you'll understand what I mean by that being my best advice. Come back when you can do that consistently and tell me it's not good advice. XD

When you're on a stage without platforms, you'll be playing more defensively, naturally. However, that doesn't mean that you stop being offensive. It means that you're just going to be cautious about it. You're not going to be flashy like Zelgadis in Melee and get yourself killed in the first heat.

You know, it's kinda funny. You say that you've tried MT, grabs, and fair to approach her and failed, yet that's exactly what I do and it works most everytime. You know what that tells me? Something's wrong with either your playstyle, your timing or your spacing. Give me some more info and I can tell you what's wrong.

pridy

:]
lmfao @ marth 7-3 in his favor on mk it so isnt it should actually be 6 4 mk favor since he can gip marth out prioritizes his aerials enough said change that now

Zephyr

Smash Lord
The thread is for giving people help with matchups, not rating which ones are most dangerous. If you want that, go somewhere else.

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
~ Zephyr

"1. ROB
2. Lasers, Gyro and Campy Rob
3. How do I approach and out-aerial him?"

Duck under his lasers...no, really, duck under them. XD

Shield his gyros, then throw them back at him.

Once you do this, use whatever aerials you feel are necessary. D-throw is especially effective. Make sure to edge-guard VERY aggressively against this guy, he won't go down without a fight. A very, very long fight.
Just to let u know, if you shield ROBs' gyro it dissapears.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey Zephyr, would you mind making the different sections more distinct from one another? It's confusing. Maybe add some colors or something. idk

Anways, I'm having some trouble with TL lately. It's not his arrows or bombs or boomerang that's getting me. Running spotdodges and tornado is working well to get past the spam. It's his upsmash.

TL is pretty quick on the ground, so his running upsmash is very fast. If I don't space perfectly, I'll end up getting hit by it some way or another. It'll beat out my dair often times, and doesn't stop for nairs or ftilts. If I take my time to space with ftilt, he'll just jump back and spam more projectiles, so I've got to approach pretty fast. I have a hard time landing anything except SHfairs. Should I abuse it? Or just try to find other ways to get around it?

-Thanks

[P.S.- I use Olimar as my main, and I'm used to forcing him to approach. I'd like to learn to use Meta against him though.]

Edit: oh and nice thread.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Wow. I didn't know anyone still looked at this thread.

The edit has been done, mainly because I have nothing better to do.

On your TL question, spamming SH fairs is a good solution that works often. I find it better to just avoid it though, it's too risky of an attack to get hit by (SO STRONG). If you feel gutsy, you can stutter step backwards to an fsmash (REALLY COOL if you do it right). You can dsmash him away if he tries it. Dsmash is faster than his upsmash.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Interesting. In my experience with Wario, whenever he becomes too aggressive tornado simply stops his advance. Spamming it isn't a good idea, obviously, but it's a very good tool for throwing Wario off balance. Tornado him, then take advantage of the opening you've created. Come on back if that doesn't work.

TKD

Smash Lord
Do you still think Marth does anything to MK? They seem equal, but Marth has much more trouble actually landing KO's. Putting Marth as a good option vs MK won't let people who read this win tournaments. Marth just doesn't cut it.

Yoshi, the Kongs and Snake seem right now the characters with most chance vs MK to me. Four even matchups (possibly) I guess. On a side note, Yoshi, Donkey and MK are easier to learn the matchup as, since Snake and Diddy Kong seem to require lots of experience.

It'd be useful if you added this. But not if you disagree, of course.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
If you can expand on the points you make in your post and make it more convincing, I'll add it for sure.

I put down my opinion of the marth matchup a while ago when the metagame was very different and playstyles were as well, so it makes sense if that particular opinion is outdated. Right now I think Snake is MK's most difficult matchup due to his Snake's ability to fend off MK's advances and his inability to die.

That's just me, though.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Tell me about it... so far my strategies to get Snakes these days is foot stool and edge hog or shuttle loop these days...

I agree with Zephyr on this...

Top Bottom