• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

amageish

Smash Master
New question: would you expect a Snake Codec/Palutena's Guidance-style gimmick in Jill's stage with the other characters? Which characters would engage in idle VA-11 Hall-A Bar Chatter in the background while fighting?

I'd imagine Dorothy finding Mega Man kind of cute or Jamie being thoroughly impressed with Samus's bounty-hunting skills or maybe Kimberlee almost pissing herself thinking about the idea of interviewing Kazuya.
Oooooooooooh, that's a really good idea! I like it. It could be cute to see Nacho interact with Snake, given how he and Rad Shiba are... very clearly Metal Gear allegories. Gil could continue to be vague about his real name and all the crimes he definitely didn't commit when discussing some of the disguised characters like Sheik. Streaming-Chan reacting to characters like Ridley or King K Rool from a fangirl's PoV could be funny too, if they just want to demolish the fourth wall.

Major VA-11 HALL-A Spoilers And, of course, Jill can just have a full mental breakdown about Aerith's death because, you know, her own Lost Lenore... literally named Lenore.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
New question: would you expect a Snake Codec/Palutena's Guidance-style gimmick in Jill's stage with the other characters? Which characters would engage in idle VA-11 Hall-A Bar Chatter in the background while fighting?

I'd imagine Dorothy finding Mega Man kind of cute or Jamie being thoroughly impressed with Samus's bounty-hunting skills or maybe Kimberlee almost pissing herself thinking about the idea of interviewing Kazuya.
If we're throwing age-appropriateness out the window because of Va-11 Hall-A's huge amount of alcohol, then I'm just gonna go ahead and say half the cast of this game would have codec-style conversations about how they wanna get their rocks off with the entire roster of SSBU. There are some HOT Smash fighters in this game and the cast of VA-11 Hall-A is not shy.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Here come the noms, finally. Let's pretend I made an executive decision to allow the conversation to continue, and was not just late.

GolisoPower x20 (25 Total)
Rie Sonomura x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x10 (15 Total)
Cutie Gwen x10 (15 Total)
amageish x25 (30 Total)
Dan Quixote x10 (15 Total)

amageish

Smash Master
If we're throwing age-appropriateness out the window because of Va-11 Hall-A's huge amount of alcohol, then I'm just gonna go ahead and say half the cast of this game would have codec-style conversations about how they wanna get their rocks off with the entire roster of SSBU. There are some HOT Smash fighters in this game and the cast of VA-11 Hall-A is not shy.
LOL. This does sound very accurate. The most honest implementation of VA-11 HALL-A in Smash is really just the cast getting drunk and debating who is the hottest character. Frankly, this sounds like a very good fanfic idea...

ANYWAY. If people want to chat Jill more, then I do have a thread for that, but, for now, the noms are out and we can move on...

So, Arthur from Ghost N Goblins. How would people like to see this franchise represented? It has had several games, but the retro ones are easily the most famous/beloved. Would people want it to be a throwback? Do you take stuff from the remake?

ZelDan

Smash Master
To be faithful to his games Arthur dies in only 2 hits. His final Smash could be to summon a red devil and infuriate whatever opponents get stuck in it. :4pacman:

But in all seriousness, I could see Arthur having alts based on his underwear-only look, unless they have that be some sort of weak state for him when he takes enough damage or something.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So my only experience with the Ghosts 'n Goblins franchise is the SNES game on the SNES Library, and I tell you hwat, the difficulty is bloody well nuts. Doesn't mean it's not fun, though. I enjoyed what little I've played, actually. I could see Sir Arthur having a variable weight-and-power system based on how much armor he's wearing to reflect how he plays in GnG.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So my only experience with the Ghosts 'n Goblins franchise is the SNES game on the SNES Library, and I tell you hwat, the difficulty is bloody well nuts. Doesn't mean it's not fun, though. I enjoyed what little I've played, actually. I could see Sir Arthur having a variable weight-and-power system based on how much armor he's wearing to reflect how he plays in GnG.
I rented Super Ghost n’ Goblins as a kid but could never get very far in it. I do think we could use more characters from the NES and SNES eras and Arthur is among the best choices.

My question is how much of his moveset from Marvel vs Capcom do you think should carry over to Smash? I haven’t really played enough GnG or MvC to know how well he is represented in that game but I know Rash translated pretty perfectly in Killer Instinct so imagine the same is true for Sir Arthur.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I rented Super Ghost n’ Goblins as a kid but could never get very far in it. I do think we could use more characters from the NES and SNES eras and Arthur is among the best choices.

My question is how much of his moveset from Marvel vs Capcom do you think should carry over to Smash? I haven’t really played enough GnG or MvC to know how well he is represented in that game but I know Rash translated pretty perfectly in Killer Instinct so imagine the same is true for Sir Arthur.
I don't remember much of Arthur specifically but he had the worst mobility in the game, had an Install that gave him the armour upgrades that when time ran out, left him in his underwear with worse defence, but he had a ****ton of projectiles, more than regular normals iirc

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Actually, I don't think I've heard any GnG tracks other than the graveyard and boss themes, so **** it. Lay 'em on me. Show me the bangers Arthur can come with.

Noms: Axel Stone x5

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I like that idea a lot. It seems like a great way to represent the mechanics of Ghosts n’ Goblins.
Yeah, I got the idea from a video for a Gordon Freeman smash moveset concept that came up with the concept of armor that'd go away on 100% damage, basically the opposite of a comeback mechanic. Arthur having a character mechanic like that would make perfect sense really.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How about a stage? I think the obvious choice is the first graveyard level but are there any other options that could work well? Would there be any fun mechanics to the graveyard stage? I love Kazuya’s dojo because it feels like an actual location instead of a floating platform like most Smash stages. Moree stages along those lines would be awesome. Being a classic platformer game, I think it could work well to directly take a part of the existing first level and bring it into Smash mostly as is.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
How about a stage? I think the obvious choice is the first graveyard level but are there any other options that could work well? Would there be any fun mechanics to the graveyard stage? I love Kazuya’s dojo because it feels like an actual location instead of a floating platform like most Smash stages. Moree stages along those lines would be awesome. Being a classic platformer game, I think it could work well to directly take a part of the existing first level and bring it into Smash mostly as is.
Graveyard is probably what Sakurai would have gone with, so I am going to assume that'd be the Ghosts n' Goblins stage.
Stage mechanics would likely include the large number of enemies that'd inevitably swarm the stage, with the possibility of a particularly obnoxious Firebrand mini-boss. I could also see it going for the platform hell angle, with treacherous design and warping platforms that the players must watch out for in addition to their opponents.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sir Arthur.png

Sir Arthur
is Ready to do Battle!

The content I picked is based largely on Source Gaming's interpretation
Intro: Arthur’s MvC3 intro

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from MvC3
Idle 2: Arthur raises a fist in the air
Idle 3: Arthur briefly strokes his beard

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Silver Armor (default)
    • Holy Armor has gold highlights
    • White boxers with strawberry patterns
  2. Warrior Armor (purple/yellow)
    • Holy Armor has brown and yellow highlights
    • Blue boxers with white vertical stripes
  3. Gold Armor (yellow)
    • Holy Armor has red highlights
    • Yellow boxers with black stars
  4. Bronze Armor (green)
    • Holy Armor has orange highlights
    • Green boxers with white polka-dots
  5. Old Arthur (blue/white)
    • Holy Armor has white highlights
    • Blue boxers with white polka-dots
  6. Pink Gold Armor (pink)
    • Holy Armor has red highlights
    • Pink boxers with red and white hearts
  7. Zombie Arthur (blue/grey)
    • Holy Armor is based off the alternate Holy Armor from MvC3
    • Boxers are the same as default, but now he’s a skeleton
  8. Firebrand (red/white)
    • Holy Armor has deep blue highlights
    • Red boxers with black bat patterns
    • Arthur's face is changed to white skin, a purple beard and red eyes, resembling Astaroth
Walk: His run from the GnG games
Dash: His run from the GnG games, but faster
Damage: His damage animation from the GnG games
Jump: His jump from the GnG games
Crouch: His crouch from the GnG games

Normal Attacks
Jab: Arthur slashes twice with his sword (4%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Arthur throws a dagger (2%, small knockback)
Down+A: Arthur throws a dagger while crouching (2%, small knockback)
Up+A: Arthur tosses an axe over his head (5%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Tri-Blade; Arthur summons a magical sword that flies around him (8%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Arthur throws a dagger in the air (6%, small knockback)
Air Back + A: Arthur does a short backwards air dash with his shield (8%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Arthur does an overhead slash with his sword (7%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Arthur swings downward with his sword (7%, small knockback)

Dash Attack: Arthur charges forward with his lance (7%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: Arthur swings his sword down as he climbs back up (6%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Arthur hastily swings his sword around himself (6%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Torch; Arthur throws a torch that inflicts multiple hits (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Discus; Arthur spins a Discus above himself (18%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Nuclear Magic; Arthur fires two blasts of magic on both sides of himself (17% each, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: His Grab from MvC3
Pummel: Arthur headbutts the opponent (1%)
Forwards+Throw: His forward throw from MvC3 (9%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: His air forward throw from MvC3 (12%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: His back throw from MvC3 (8%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Arthur tosses the opponent diagonally upward in the direction he's facing (6%, small knockback)

Special Moves
B : Lance Toss
; Arthur tosses a lance that goes somewhat slow and can be tossed straight forward or upwards (8%, small knockback)
  • With Holy Armor, the lances fly much faster and go slightly further
B + Forwards : Crossbow; Arthur fires two arrows in a 45o arc (6% each, small knockback); each arrow deals 1.5x more damage and knockback to opponents in the air
  • With Holy Armor, Arthur fires three arrows that become orbs of energy; the added third one goes straight in the direction it's facing
B + Up : Shatter Armor; Arthur deliberately sheds his armor to jump sky-high (with opponents taking damage from the broken armor pieces) (12%, OK knockback), halving his magic charge meter. Arthur doesn’t immediately go into freefall when this happens, but he can only manage a measly hop when he tries to use this special again.
  • With Holy Armor, he goes up higher and can possibly Meteor Smash opponents close to him, but the magic charge meter is completely drained
B + Down : Armor / Thunder Magic; Using the magic charge meter from Ghouls ‘n Ghosts (which fills up as he deals and takes damage), Arthur can either upgrade his armor by one stage or cast thunder magic that surrounds him in electricity (30%, far knockback), immediately reducing him to his boxers
  • If Arthur loses his armor through damage, the meter stays as is
Final Smash: Goddess Bracelet; based on one of his Hyper Combos from MvC3, Arthur fires 19 energy shots that paralyze opponents in place (2% each) and then finishes with a huge orb of light that can hit multiple opponents (20%, far knockback)

Gimmick: Armor; Arthur loses his armor when he takes about 55% damage or if a strong enough attack hits him, reducing the knight to his boxers
  • In his armor, Arthur is committed to whatever direction he jumps in
  • Armorless Arthur has greatly increased movement speed and jump height and can jump freely, but takes 1.2x more damage from enemy attacks and is easier to launch
  • Arthur with Holy Armor is harder to launch, has increased movement speed and stats, and his attacks do 1.3x more damage with less endlag, but his jumps are slightly heavier despite also being able to jump freely in this state
    • Losing this armor still reduces Arthur to his boxers, but it only needs 100% damage to break and can withstand any attack
  • He can regain his armor faster by getting K.O.’d
  • When Arthur loses a Stamina Battle, his death animation is the same as his home series
Taunts
1: “Huzzah!” Arthur’s taunt from MvC3
2: “Still going!” Arthur mimics his in-game portrait from from UMvC3
1+2: Arthur mimics his artwork from the original Ghosts ‘n Goblins

Winposes
1: “You have faced a knight and lost!” Arthur’s victory animation from MvC3
  • “Huzzah! Cleared without a miss!” (When Arthur wins without getting K.O.'d)
2: Arthur receives a kiss from the Princess, mimicking the ending from the original Ghosts ‘n Goblins
3: “Wait for me, my princess!” Arthur gets ready to keep going after the Princess, and then runs offscreen to the right

Applause: Arthur’s bones appear on the ground
Icon: The Red Arremer in the series logo
Boxing Ring Title: Knight in Shining Boxers
Star K.O.: “Tis unfaiiiirrr…!”
Victory Music: https://youtu.be/zbmix8ySutw
Kirby Hat: Arthur’s helm and beard
:ultpit:: Aw, I love this kid’s knight costume!
:ultpalutena:: That’s...not a kid, Pit. That’s Sir Arthur, a legendary knight. And he’s 28, by the way.
:ultpit:: Uh, 28? Someone this short? ...Are you sure?
:ultpalutena:: Anyways, don’t get cocky just because of Arthur’s diminutive size, because he has a variety of weapons at his disposal. However, his armor falls off rather easily when he takes enough damage.
:ultpit:: Ah, so it is a costume.
:ultpalutena:: Still no. Sir Arthur has had actual experience slaying demon after demon in pursuit of his Princess, who’s been kidnapped time and time again. He’s often had to embark on a journey twice just to accomplish such a task.
:ultpit:: Wait, seriously?! Th-that’s like if I had to save you from Medusa twice!
:ultpalutena:: Now do you believe me when I say he’s not just some kid in a costume?
:ultpit:: Yep. I’m never judging by appearance again.
Round 1: :ultsimon: on Dracula’s Castle (Ground Theme - Ghosts ‘n Goblins)
  • Simon’s special moves have increased power when he respawns
Round 2: :ultridley: (Color 3) on Battlefield Demon Village (Vs. Ridley (Brawl))
  • Ridley’s color swaps to 2 when he respawns, and he becomes Giant
Round 3: :ultlink: (Color 2) on Battlefield Temple (Great Temple / Temple)
  • Link’s color swaps to 8 when he respawns, and his sword attacks have increased power
Round 4: :ultmegaman: on Wily Castle (Mega Man 2 Medley)
  • Yellow Devil appears when Mega Man respawns
Round 5: :ultlittlemac: (100HP) on Boxing Ring (Minor Circuit (original))
  • Mac’s color swaps to 7 and his attack power is greatly increased when he respawns, but his HP is reduced to 75
Round 6: Arthur x12 (horde battle) on Demon Village (5, 6 Stage Boss)
  • The first half uses Color 7 Arthurs with 5HP, and the second half uses Color 8 Arthurs with 20HP
Final Round: Dracula (7 Stage Boss)

Credits: Theme of Arthur - Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
(Spirit Battles listed here)
  1. Sir Arthur (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Zombie (Ghosts 'n Goblins) (:ultzombie:x12, ★)
  3. Green Monster (:ultpiranha:, ★)
  4. Skeleton Murderer (:ultrobin:x8, ★)
  5. Shielder (:ultkrool:, ★★)
  6. Unicorn Demon (:ultganondorf:, ★★)
  7. Red Arremer (:ultridley:x2, ★★★)
  8. Astaroth (:ultbowser:x2, ★★★)
  9. Princess (Ghosts 'n Goblins) (:ultpeach: and Arthur, ★★★)
  10. Maximo (:ultlink:, ★★)
  11. Firebrand (:ultridley: and others, ★★★★)
  1. Toadsworth (Color 5)
  2. B Dasher (default)
  3. Broque Monsieur (Color 3)
  4. Groose (Color 4)
  5. Metapod (Color 4)
  6. Shedinja (Color 7)
  7. Chandelure (Color 7)
  8. Aegislash (Color 3)
  9. Absolutely Safe Capsule (default)
  10. Zoda (Color 8)
  11. Jagen (Color 5)
  12. Draug (Color 2)
  13. Jakob (Color 5)
  14. Lurchthorn (Color 3)
  15. Gamma (Color 8)
  16. Auto (Color 4)
  17. Dive Man (Color 5)
  18. Gold Bone (Color 3)
  19. Sheriff (Color 3)
  20. Tamagon (Color 8; minion to :ultridley:)
  21. Chibi-Robo (default)
  22. Shovel Knight (Color 2)
  23. Shield Knight (Color 8)
  24. Golem (Color 3)
  25. Jinjos (Colors 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8)
  26. Ingrid (Color 2)
  27. Skeleton (Color 7)
Noms:
Sakura Shinguji x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, I want to bring up something a little different with Arthur, and it's a system dear to my heart - the Commodore 64!

That's right, despite arguably being most-well-known as an NES game, Ghosts N Goblins was big enough that it spread everywhere after the arcade, and that includes the home computer boom in the UK in the 80s. The ZX Spectrum had a port, the Amstrad CPC had a port...but I love the Commodore 64 port because the Commodore 64 had a music chip called the SID chip which, when handled by some amazingly talented videogame composers like Martin Galway, Rob Hubbard, and Tim Folin, produced a super unique and crunchy sound I just love.

Here's a full playthrough of GnG on the Commodore 64. Check out that unique chiptune! I just love it. Arthur would technically be a home computer rep, at least in a small way, and I think that's just neat!

Nominations: Ichiban xMax

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So question: I hear Resurrections allowed for some easier difficulty settings, but are they a major thing or are they still absolutely brutal? I'm curious as to how approachable they are.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So question: I hear Resurrections allowed for some easier difficulty settings, but are they a major thing or are they still absolutely brutal? I'm curious as to how approachable they are.
To my understanding it depends on the difficulty you pick, the easier the difficulty the more hits you can take too iirc, with the easiest making you flatout invincible

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
You got it, boss!

amageish x5 (10 Total)
ZelDan x5 (10 Total)
GolisoPower x10 (15 Total)
Cutie Gwen x10 (15 Total)
Gengar84 x10 (15 Total)
Eldrake x10 (15 Total)
Speed Weed x5 (10 Total)
Perkilator x15 (20 Total)
Flyboy x5 (10 Total)
SharkLord x5 (10 Total)

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry... I did consider posting in this thread yesterday, but I was busy IRL for a lot of it and then was very tired by the end of the day.

Noms (for yesterday): Zoe x 30... I'll post my noms for today later, as I don't know what things I want to nominate...

50+ noms
Astral Chain rep - x110
Hat Kid - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Zoe* - x65
Axel Stone - x60
Heavy - x60

Saber - x55
Chibi-Robo - x55

26-50 noms
Aether/Lumine/The-Traveler (Genshin Impact MC) - x50
Bubsy - x50
Black Mage - x50
Ryza - x45
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ichiban - x45
Sakura Shinguji - x40
2B - x40
Octoling - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Madeleine - x30
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Illidan Stormrage - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20

5-10 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x10
Jonesy - x5
Geolyte (Meteos) - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry... I did consider posting in this thread yesterday, but I was busy IRL for a lot of it and then was very tired by the end of the day.

Noms (for yesterday): Zoe x 30... I'll post my noms for today later, as I don't know what things I want to nominate...

50+ noms
Astral Chain rep - x110
Hat Kid - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Zoe* - x65
Axel Stone - x60
Heavy - x60

Saber - x55
Chibi-Robo - x55

26-50 noms
Aether/Lumine/The-Traveler (Genshin Impact MC) - x50
Bubsy - x50
Black Mage - x50
Ryza - x45
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ichiban - x45
Sakura Shinguji - x40
2B - x40
Octoling - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Madeleine - x30
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Illidan Stormrage - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20

5-10 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x10
Jonesy - x5
Geolyte (Meteos) - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
I could have sworn Darkest Dungeon Content and Gunvolt were also on that list…

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ohhh, now THIS, I like! My brother and I played LOTS of Mortal Kombat X, and we enjoyed it a lot! Though the little gremlin would always pick Mileena to piss me off.

So Scorpion, as an FGC character, is really unique in the context of Smash Bros, as he's generally much different from the Shotos, Terry, and Kazuya for one simple reason: the way Mortal Kombat is played. MK is like this blend of Street Fighter inputs and Tekken Strings, and it even has unique inputs as well! For example, Scorpion's Spear is (<- -> + 2), or Back-Forward-X on Nintendo Switch. Really simple move, right? The interesting question is how to make him feel like Mortal Kombat. Sakurai seems to have gotten the feel of SF and Fatal Fury down in the past, but a recent article here talks about how Sakurai tried to make Kazuya feel like a Smash character while still having that Tekken feel. Mortal Kombat is in that strange spot where he's simple enough for normal attacks like Terry, but he also has potential crazy combos like Kazuya and complex inputs like Ryu and Ken!

Top Bottom