• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I figured I might as well join in at some point. And not for the factor of noms either. >.>

Scorpion is one of my favorite fighting game characters. Albeit, Shao Kahn has more recently become my favorite MK character, but still.

Something I like about the series is the dial-in combos. Having somewhat easier to do combo attacks, similar to how Dancing Blade is now, would be an interesting way to change up the combo game. It still could work with things like tilts, etc. It's easy to see some specials, like the Spear(if it wouldn't be a throw, or maybe it's both?), Fire Breath, and Teleport Punch(in this case, it could be a Down B counter attack, while having the Cyber Ninja version as an Up B, but it'd be closer to a Shoryuken style move compared to a counter attack). Sure, it's not exactly his move, but it's pretty much based upon the same idea, just done a bit differently. There's other moves he could use from the various Ninja palette swaps if they would fit well and make him flow better. Too bad there isn't a Cyber Scorpion version, since you could just have both Punches as a Down B. There's no questioning his Spear would work well as a Tether Move(throw) either, since it is used within the media itself. Also, due to MK's design, having forceful impact attacks, similar to Ridley's "stronger" ones, is a good idea, even if it's just for final attacks in a combo and Smash attacks. That'd be a lot to program animation-wise, so limiting it to a certain set isn't a bad thing.

There's also his two swords, which can be used for a variety of moves. The various combos, a part of the Final Smash(a brutality as something akin to Great Aether makes for a great one), and so on. You can also still have him bring in his old Battle Axe as part of the combos, referencing classic and old. Depending how the moveset is done, you could even have two versions of the same weapon attacks, both being identical bar the weapon(Axe or Sword). While I do find it hard to perfectly fill out his special moves, the rest aren't so difficult. Forward Air is a typical forward punch not unlike what Ryu uses, and Neutral Air is the classic MK Sex Kick. The Roundhouse Kick and Uppercut already account for at least two of his Smash attacks(probably Neutral Smash and Up Smash respectively), with his Down Smash being the Leg Sweep(that or it could also work for his Down Tilt, as it is often used for tripping moves). You could however do a powerful attack with his current weapon type for a Down Smash instead. And that's a few examples.

Costumes honestly vary. Do you want to reference the other Ninjas? Or do you want to reference his usual alternate colors(Orange) while having Classic and Modern costumes. That's already 4 alone, only need 2 more of each. Smoke could also work as an alternate costume set, being he started as a Scorpion clone as is(and still partially is). Noob Saibot and Ermac also started off this way, mostly due to various gameplay bugs. Unlike Mileena and Reptile, who were more proper characters. There's also having his skull exposed instead, but that could also be a part of the moveset(including his Final Smash) and such. Being Sub-Zero is a highly popular alternate choice, a blue recolor is probably something people don't want nearly as much as other potential choices. To clarify, I mean colors resembling other Ninjas, not actual true alts(like the Koopalings).

Music is a given at least. There's tons of excellent options alone, without even dipping into the other media soundtracks. But we definitely need the main theme from Techno Syndrome either way. It pretty much is too iconic to ignore. We have music from the non-games as is anyway(even if it's just Advent Children only now?), but it's an important piece of music that people know and love. The general music is very good and fitting for fighting anyway, even if slightly less memorable at times. They might be kind of generic location-like music to a small degree, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The stage is the harder part. The Pit III is a very popular one due to having an iconic status as one of the most memorable stages in history. Hell itself is hardly bad either, though it would only work well as a walk-off for accuracy, but it can still have the Lava hazards not unlike Brinstar/etc. It's not like they'd avoid the stage due to the name. It's very different from saying "a hell of a guy" as well. One is a location, and we still have the Devil Assist Trophy. The other is a description, which has a different meaning in terms of how they're taken. Not saying it's some guarantee, since there's tons of memorable stages as is.

Spirits are where it gets more difficult. Do you do just basically the core 7 plus core bosses? Scorpion and his Modern Costume, along with the 6 other original Kombatants(Sonya Blade, Liu Kang, Elder Sub-Zero(depending which story they base it upon), Johnny Cage, Raiden, Kano), maybe some of those having evolving Spirits if possible(they could evolve into their Modern designs, and Elder Sub-Zero can become Cyber Sub-Zero). The bosses being Goro, Shang Tsung, Motaro, and Shao Kahn. If you want more, you still have Kintaro, Shinnok, and Onaga. And there are more along the way like the latest game, but it kind of depends how much are willing to be used. Sheeva could be added for good measures, so all the Shokan are there. Considering how big the series is, you can easily have 50+ Spirits before evolving, but even 30ish is easy.

Noms: Brian x 5

(BTW, could the first post have a small list of all characters discussed in order. Not a link to when it starts or anything like that, but so I know who has already been discussed. I don't know if we're supposed to be allowed to do re-noms either. Obviously I didn't talk about anyone till now, which is fine, but the OP isn't clear on every rule. Don't want to disrupt discussion and all. :) )

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mortal Kombat is the missing fighting game series from Smash, being one of the 'big three (SF, Tekken, MK),' and the second highest in sales.
It is one of the top 50 selling video game franchises of all time.
It is as much kamp as it is gore.
The blood isn't a necessity, but it could also just be an effect on Scorpion, himself.
It is one of few media series with kharacters known by the non-gaming public.
It is sold in Japan, which also has access to the blockbuster movies.
Ed Boon is on board.
It is not a big company, given that they can only work on one game (including DLC) at a time,
so it shouldn't be hard for them to be reached.

Blah blah blah, Scorpion should be in, hands down.

Some other things:

SPIRITS
I think they would likely group people together. If Tekken got So few, I don't think MK would get more.
  • Sonya, Johnny, and Jax together, maybe with Zero Suit and Snake via Military connection
  • Reptile, Rain, Noob, Ermac, Tremor- Lots of the different studly dudes- Snake, Captain Falcon, Ryu, Lil Mac, Ganondorf
  • Sektor, Cyrax, Smoke, all together- I think this would probably be three ROBs, with the smoke ball, Black hole, and Rage gun as constant items.
  • Kitana, Mileena, Jade, and Skarlet- The sexy ladies. Zero Suit, Bayonnetta, Wii Fit Trainer...and another
  • Goro, Motaro, Kintaro- Uh..... two character plus Incineroar, all with emphasis on punches or kicks, which are powered up
  • Sub Zero- Scorpion but with Ice Floor and lots of the Freezy item. Invincible Ice Climbers assist him.
  • Tsang Tsung- Captain Falcon, with a lot of ATs and/or Ditto coming in and turning in to other fighters
  • Shao Khan- Nonflinch Dedede

STAGE
The Pit, which would also be the only stage to allow an alternate Final Smash for any character playing on it, sending the kharacter flying to the pit on the ground. In this stage, when anyone uses this attack, it goes into a freeze frame cinematic, wherein only the character using the attack, and the recipient, are moving. It ends in 'fatality.'

FINAL SMASH
I think Scorpion would also have 2-3 Final Smashes of his own.
1- Close up, Hell Fire
2- Friendship, possibly the newest, where he gets a giant Teddy Bear over here
3- Brutality, wherein he goes into an insane combo of punches and kicks, but the player doesn't explode- they either go flying into the blast zone, or go into a KO as if out of HP (may only be available in HP battle)
4- Babality- I think it would be a pretty solid choice if, for the Mario characters, using the close up FS would instead initiate Babality, turning all the Mario characters into their Baby forms. (I cannot imagine it being done for the whole roster, particularly due to needing to license new designs, but I can see them doing it for the Mario's... granted the 7 additional Koopalings make it more of a task).

TAUNTS
Would have to include him saying 'get over here,' (fun fact, the random show I'm watching just used that phrase as I typed it, same exact moment)
'Toasty' would also be a taunt.

MUSIC
I don't think they would have difficulty licensing, "Techno Syndrome," the 'MK Theme.'

SPECIAL MOVES
-Scorpion would obviously use his spear. No question. I am not of the camp that thinks it is an option for recovery, but if he uses it in the air, it would deal damage rather than pull opponents back in. I also think that his spear would able to be angled both straight up, and also across- to make the leap into platform fighting a bit more smooth.
-His teleport punch has been a staple since the first game.

Other options:
I think he would likely have two more fire based attacks. One could be hellfire, summoning flames on both sides. He could spit hellfire directly, a subdued version of his classic final smash, occasionally used as a move. This could also just be a flatout fireball. I do think that one of his four specials would just be a special kombat move, nothing visually fancy.

ECHO
I still believe a Sub Zero echo wouldn't be that difficult. It could even be possible. Change the effects of his special moves and it is almost fully a go. I also would just love to see his freezing move in this game- the opponent wouldn't turn blue, they would utilize the freezing mechanic in Smash already, and turn into a giant Iceburg. These are the translations that make the guest characters so beloved.
As for echo moves...instead of spear, he would use his iceball- which could be angle both down and up. Instead of Hellfire on either side, he would create two frozen puddles that are slippery. Instead of a counter teleport, he would teleport with an ice clone, which would freeze opponents in air. Most of these are just effect changes.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I guess any references to Fatalities could just be relegated to offscreen final smashes.

Noms: All my 15 noms to Gordon Freeman.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally loved the classic SNES Mortal Kombat games as well as the first movie. Those are where a lot of my knowledge comes from since I haven’t really kept up with the series personally since then (although my friend still buys all the games and I watch him play through the story mode).

I’m personally a bigger fan of Sub-Zero than Scorpion but both are really cool. I would love if they based their movesets off the classic games so they could throw Sub-Zero in as a semiclone since the two shared all the same normals in those games. The classic games were also less over the top gory than the modern entries and had lots more appearances in more family friendly media like the older movies and cartoon series.

For my first question, what would you choose for Scorpion’s default outfit? He has a different outfit in every game so there are tons of great options to choose from. Personally, I’d go with his classic Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 design. Partially because I would want the classic moveset but it also looks really cool and works well for palate swaps for the other ninjas.

1626029742744.png

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I could have sworn Darkest Dungeon Content and Gunvolt were also on that list…
Whoops; I didn't copy-paste the full list. Sorry, the bottom few got cut off. Fixed now!

And Scorpion Day! So, obviously his Final Smash has to be starting a series of lawsuits that directly and indirectly lead to the creation of the ESRB, who choose to remove any captured opponents from the game, right? /s

In all seriousness, my tolerance for violence is significantly beneath the levels depicted in modern Mortal Kombat, so my familiarity with this IP begins and ends with the earlier games and the... existent game that is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

That said, I'll ask my default question: How would people want to see this IP's diversity represented? It has classic games, modern games, and the in-between games which... Well, I thought Motor Kombat was kind of cute, but I see why most didn't. How are we going to balance these eras? All modern? All retro? Exclusively represent the in-between nobody likes?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I can't imagine the MK Uppercut being anything other than a down smash, it's more or less the same input as in MK and a Smash attack is the best way to keep it as a really strong but easily punishable move. Down tilt can be the regular crouching kick and a down forward tilt can be the leg sweep that causes a knockdown.

Spear wouldn't be used for the grab button, it's not the case in MK so I don't see why it'd be the case here. It's always been a way to get a character closer to Scorpion and get a free combo on hit with more advanced uses to extend combos though recent titles have made it so that you have to spend a bar of meter to get the combos.

His Final Smash would absolutely be Toasty, in which he takes off his mask to reveal a skull and he proceeds to breathe fire on his opponent. A foe over a certain damage threshold would just explode in a similar manner to certain other final smashes otherwise the victim would crumple to the floor.

That said, I'll ask my default question: How would people want to see this IP's diversity represented? It has classic games, modern games, and the in-between games which... Well, I thought Motor Kombat was kind of cute, but I see why most didn't. How are we going to balance these eras? All modern? All retro? Exclusively represent the in-between nobody likes?
A mix is best, there's plenty of fan favourites from each era. Obviously you'd have Raiden, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Sonya, Johnny, Goro and Shao Kahn but I think good shouts can be made for Kenshi, Quan-Chi, Cassie and Jacqui. You could probably do enhanced spirits for Sektor and Cyrax with their human incarnations from MK9 into their Cyber selves and combine Noob and Smoke into a duo ala the 3d era too. Other good shouts would be the female ninjas like Kitana, Jade and Mileena who are extremely popular and some of the franchise jobbers like Reptile and Baraka.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We could at least have some music from all the eras. They're all sweet in their own right. Sadly there's no Trophies, and a Spirit Board is limited, so I don't see much of how Motor Kombat(besides music... if it has any unique to it) could work well.

Though if he was base game, I would love to see a spirit or two from each mini-game where possible. Puzzle Kombat is another great one. Chess Kombat, though, doesn't really have a way to be transferred over very well.

I get what you mean. While my tolerance for violent games is way higher, even the X-Ray moves make me wince a bit. It's enough that the developers get PSTD from all the violence, since it's just that overboard. Who knows when this started, as it wasn't till the 3D games(Mortal Kombat 4) where the violence was actually over the top instead of semi-cheesy at worst. Sure, the blood and bones from the 2D games are still pretty violent all things considered, but they weren't nearly as bad(not even for my 10 year old self). Smash wouldn't be even going that far, as blood won't appear, so thankfully it'll be more around your level of tolerance. :)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Whoops; I didn't copy-paste the full list. Sorry, the bottom few got cut off. Fixed now!

And Scorpion Day! So, obviously his Final Smash has to be starting a series of lawsuits that directly and indirectly lead to the creation of the ESRB, who choose to remove any captured opponents from the game, right? /s

In all seriousness, my tolerance for violence is significantly beneath the levels depicted in modern Mortal Kombat, so my familiarity with this IP begins and ends with the earlier games and the... existent game that is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

I’d personally focus more on the earlier games for the reasons stated above but I still think there should be a few references to the modern titles such as an alt outfit for Scorpion and Sub-Zero as well as a few moves.

Speaking of classic Mortal Kombat, I agree Techno Syndrome is a must. It’s just too iconic a song to leave out. There is one other song from the movie that I’d love to see as well and that’s the first battle with Goro. There is just something really epic and memorable about this theme as well:

This is Techno Syndrome in case for some reason anyone has never heard it:

The funny thing is that almost all of the Mortal Kombat songs I remember actually came from the movie. What are some songs from the games specifically you would like to see?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I wanna ask an interesting question:

Every Mortal Kombat game beyond the trilogy has had a different design for Scorpion, each with its own uniqueness to it. Even as a guest character in Injustice, he had a unique design. Do you guys think Sakurai would design his own Scorpion just for Smash Bros? Or would he just stick with the existing designs?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Every Mortal Kombat game beyond the trilogy has had a different design for Scorpion, each with its own uniqueness to it. Even as a guest character in Injustice, he had a unique design. Do you guys think Sakurai would design his own Scorpion just for Smash Bros? Or would he just stick with the existing designs?
That is a good question. If it were me, I would go with Scorpion’s UMK3 outfit as a default (pictured above) with his Mortal Kombat 11 outfit as an alt.

If both Scorpion and Sub-Zero make it in, here’s how I’d split up their palate references:

Scorpion:
Scorpion - UMK3
Smoke - UMK3
Ermac - UMK3
Tremor - Based on UMK3 costumes
Scorpion - MK11
Scorpion - MK11 Gray
Scorpion - MK11 Red
Scorpion - MK11 Brown

Sub-Zero:
Sub-Zero - UMK3
Noob Saibot - UMK3
Reptile - UMK3
Rain - UMK3
Sub-Zero - MK11
Sub-Zero - MK11 Black
Sub-Zero - MK11 Green
Sub-Zero - MK11 Purple

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
I would love for Scorpion to make it in. It's ironic, with all the characters who got shot down via spirits or Mii costumes, he's now one the last ones standing for the last character.

amageish

Smash Master
A mix is best, there's plenty of fan favourites from each era. Obviously you'd have Raiden, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Sonya, Johnny, Goro and Shao Kahn but I think good shouts can be made for Kenshi, Quan-Chi, Cassie and Jacqui. You could probably do enhanced spirits for Sektor and Cyrax with their human incarnations from MK9 into their Cyber selves and combine Noob and Smoke into a duo ala the 3d era too. Other good shouts would be the female ninjas like Kitana, Jade and Mileena who are extremely popular and some of the franchise jobbers like Reptile and Baraka.
Ohhhhhh, those upgrade spirit ideas is really cool. It'd be nice to have some classic characters upgrading into newer versions... I like that idea a lot!

We could at least have some music from all the eras. They're all sweet in their own right. Sadly there's no Trophies, and a Spirit Board is limited, so I don't see much of how Motor Kombat(besides music... if it has any unique to it) could work well.

Though if he was base game, I would love to see a spirit or two from each mini-game where possible. Puzzle Kombat is another great one. Chess Kombat, though, doesn't really have a way to be transferred over very well.

I get what you mean. While my tolerance for violent games is way higher, even the X-Ray moves make me wince a bit. It's enough that the developers get PSTD from all the violence, since it's just that overboard. Who knows when this started, as it wasn't till the 3D games(Mortal Kombat 4) where the violence was actually over the top instead of semi-cheesy at worst. Sure, the blood and bones from the 2D games are still pretty violent all things considered, but they weren't nearly as bad(not even for my 10 year old self). Smash wouldn't be even going that far, as blood won't appear, so thankfully it'll be more around your level of tolerance. :)
A good variety of music could be good and very fun. I do love Puzzle Kombat a lot as well; it's a very fun minigame series and the art was kind of cute... But, yeah, Chess Kombat seems hard to include by mini-game standards.

Yeah, I didn't want to bring it up, but I'm a little bit surprised that the struggles of modern MK developers didn't get more attention, especially as some very similar allegations of worker abuse dominated gaming discourse last year... But, yes, in Smash, I assume it'll all be leaning into the cartoony side of things and not the hyper-realistic 3D models. You know, more "Someone blows up and somehow had 3 ribcages in their body," less "Some poor animator had to spend a day researching how a knee shatters" - if there even was any reference to the bones/blood side of thing at all... or maybe the weird sweat thing from the SNES games/

I would be a bit surprised if they did, but this is a super cool idea. I do kind of like the idea of known characters getting unique Smash looks...

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat in Smash is such a polarizing topic. On one hand, it’s the best selling fighting game franchise of all time (excluding Smash), has a vast legacy, and is an overall cultural phenomenon in the West. On the other hand, it’s practically non-existent in Japan, is outright banned in certain regions, and has a reputation for being excessively violent to the extent of eventually causing the ESRB to be created in North America. For every point that MK has in its favor, it seems like there’s always something else working just as strongly against it...

One argument against MK that I have seen on occasion is that it isn’t a very Nintendo-centric series, and would be better suited for something like PS All-Stars. Now, seeing that it is an M-rated, Western franchise, it’s understandable why one would think this. However, if you’re suggesting that MK is just more of a Sony thing than a Nintendo thing, then you might be surprised by the history Mortal Kombat has on Nintendo consoles...Warning: Long history lesson incoming...

Like many other fighting games, Mortal Kombat got its start in the arcades in 1992. And less than a year later, it received ports on both the SNES and Gameboy (as well as the Genesis and Gamegear). Both MKII and MK3 would follow suit by also receiving arcade releases, along with SNES and Gameboy releases shortly after. UMK3, an upgraded version of MK3, also received a SNES release.

Next, things get a little interesting. Mortal Kombat Trilogy, the definitive version of MK3, was released on a wide variety of home consoles. The N64 wasn’t as powerful as the PS1 and sadly couldn’t handle MKT’s giant roster, but to compensate for that, it did receive it’s very own 3v3 mode and an exclusive character named Khameleon. A grey female ninja who shared the abilities of all the other female ninjas in the game. No other version of the game had this character.
Later, both MK Mythologies and MK4 were released for a variety of home consoles, including the N64. So to recap, every single MK game up to this point had been released on a Nintendo console. The first game to really break this trend was MK Gold, an enhanced version of MK4 for the Dreamcast. Followed shortly by MK Special Forces, a spin-off game exclusive to the PS1. But luckily, Nintendo wasn’t completely left out to dry, as the GBA was also given an exclusive release! Yet another MK3 port titled Mortal Kombat Advance, which uh...
MK Advance Critic.png
Yeah, admittedly this one is honestly a contender for the worst MK game of all time. GameSpot named it the worst Game Boy Advance game of 2002, dubbing it "violently broken".

Now back to the mainline games, the next in the series was MK Deadly Alliance (MK5), which was released on GC, PS2, and Xbox. But wouldn’t you know it, somehow following the tremendous failure of MK Advance, Midway still couldn’t bring themselves to ignore the GBA and decided to port two different GBA versions of MKDA, known as Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition. These ports split up Deadly Alliance's roster and story into two separate games and they both differed greatly from the initial release in terms of gameplay to where it honestly blows my mind that they even exist. MKTE is especially interesting as it features three characters that didn’t appear in the original release. One of which, Sareena, made her playable debut on this obscure GBA port.
Mk TE.png
The special Nintendo treatment continues on to MK Deception (MK6). This game was initially released on PS2 and Xbox, with the GC version releasing just five months later. To amend for the delayed release, the Nintendo version (once again) received two exclusive characters. Those being Goro and Shao Kahn! Yeah, the two most notorious bosses in the entire series were only playable on the GameCube version. They were completely fleshed out, with their own unique fighting styles, fatalities, and character bios (which explains their unique presence and sets up their important roles in the next game). A full two years later, another port of Deception would be released for the PSP, which actually did include both Goro and Shao Kahn, as well as four more exclusive characters. But still, for two years these characters were only playable on the GameCube version.
Goro.png
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (MK7) was only released on the PS2 and Xbox...initially. Once again, less than a year later, a Wii version was released. This one had completely altered button inputs to allow for motion controls and, as per the doctrine, received its own exclusive character. That character being Khameleon, whom you might remember from earlier. This would be Khameleon’s second and final playable appearance after being playable in the N64 version of MKT, meaning that for whatever reason this character has never had a playable appearance on anything other than Nintendo consoles. And if you’re not familiar with MKA, this game was known for bringing back every single character in the franchise’s history (over 60 characters), but since Khameleon was only playable on the Wii port that meant that the Nintendo version was the only one to truly feature every character in the series. Once again, Nintendo (not Sony, not Microsoft) gets the long end of the stick when it comes to Mortal Kombat.
Kha.png
Sadly, things finally started to change with MKvDC (MK8) which didn’t receive a Nintendo release of any kind. Throughout the Wii/Wii U era, Mortal Kombat started to find it’s home on the more powerful consoles and chose not to release anything on Nintendo for a while (save for another port of UMK3 for the DS). This was also the same time that Warner Bros. took over the franchise and the “modern era” of MK began. This is likely where the idea that MK isn't connected to Nintendo comes from. MK9 and MKX were two huge releases that sadly never made their way over to Nintendo consoles. The best that Nintendo got during this time was a Wii U port of NeatherRealm’s other fighting game franchise - Injustice.

Luckily, things are finally turning around with the Nintendo Switch. Despite being far less powerful than the Xbox One and PS4, NeatherRealm was determined to release MK11 on the Switch. Not only has it received the same amount of DLC and updates as the other ports, it has also received tremendous support from Nintendo themselves. MK11 has consistently been featured on the front page of the eShop and has numerous videos on Nintendo’s official YouTube page. Which frankly, if you’re trying to argue that Nintendo wouldn’t want to be associated with a series like Mortal Kombat, then they probably wouldn’t be posting their incredibly gruesome and violent trailers on their own YouTube account.
trailers.png
Do what you will with all of this information. I’ve just always found Mortal Kombat’s history with Nintendo fascinating. While MK is generally a multi-platform series, the amount of enhanced ports and exclusive characters show a surprising amount of preferential treatment towards Nintendo. Even when they have objectively weaker consoles like the GBA, N64, or Switch, the MK Team will still go out of their way to not only port their games to those consoles, but often add an exclusive character/feature on top of that. A lot of people want to compare MK to other M-rated Westen franchises like GTA or CoD, but when it comes to its connection with Nintendo, Mortal Kombat has far more history with the company than people realize. Funny enough, when you look at it critically, MK is probably even more tied to Nintendo than Street Fighter, Tekken, or KoF. I mean, MK11 is on the Switch, yet still no sign of SFV, Tekken 7, or KoF XV...

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Golden Icarus Golden Icarus Khameleon does cameo in MK9, but yeah, she's only been a Nintendo playable exclusive.

If Armageddon Wii had online play, it'd be the best version by far of the three releases.
That's right! I meant to say 'playable appearance.' I'll correct that.

I think that they should just go with an existing design. He has had so many different outfits that it definitely wouldn't be necessary to create something new. I think agree with many others that his UMK3 look would probably be the best. Although I do really love his MK11 look, so having that as an alt would be cool.
The funny thing is that almost all of the Mortal Kombat songs I remember actually came from the movie. What are some songs from the games specifically you would like to see?
Yeah, the series definitely doesn't have the most memorable soundtrack. I would honestly be perfectly happy if they just loaded the music selection with The Immortals album that was created for the movie. Specifically for this and this.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Just wanna say that I'm pretty okay with Mortal Kombat's iconic gore not being represented in Smash should Scorpion make the cut. Back in the 90s, the gore was campy and slapstick, with the splats of bright red flying off of everyone on any punch. But these days the gore just seems pretty gratuitous and gross with the extended cutscenes for everything. Not to mention that gets in the way of the game itself. So yeah Scorpion can totally work without it.

But instead of dwelling on that too much I'm gonna ask the obvious question (or at least what the obvious question is to me). Why should Mortal Kombat's representation in Smash be Scorpion instead of Sub-Zero? I guess Liu Kang is also an option, especially with the devs throwing us a curveball by choosing Kazuya over Heihachi, but eh let's keep this to the ninjas. Scorpion is on the cover of the most recent MK game, which is on Switch, so that helps. His line "GET OVER HERE" is known even by people who've never touched an MK game. On the other hand, Sub-Zero's blue character design is just as iconic as Scorpion's and he actually has his own spinoff game. Not a great spinoff game but yknow... So which of the two is really more deserving? I'd probably pick Scorpion because of the shenanigans that can happen with his chain and the chain itself being more iconic than just ice powers.

Oh and my ten noms to Black Mage.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On the other hand, Sub-Zero's blue character design is just as iconic as Scorpion's
You could also say the spine rip is just as iconic as GET OVER HERE, but that ain't being represented in Smash.

Speaking of GET OVER HERE, what do you think about it being a tether recovery?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You could also say the spine rip is just as iconic as GET OVER HERE, but that ain't being represented in Smash.

Speaking of GET OVER HERE, what do you think about it being a tether recovery?
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. It would probably be a bit different than typical tether recoveries because it would shoot straight forward instead of upwards but it would also travel farther than a lot of them.

As far as Sub-Zero is concerned, I would personally prefer him over Scorpion but I feel like Scorpion is a bit more pushed these days. That’s the main reason I want them to be based on their classic movesets so the other could get in as an easy semiclone.

Another thing about Sub-Zero is deciding how his ice would work. Freezing in Smash is nothing like Sub-Zero’s freezing so we’d need to implement a whole new mechanic. I’m also not sure if people would find Sub-Zero’s freezing annoying to play against in Smash if it worked exactly like MK but I’d be fine with it.

I might as well share the Sub-Zero moveset I made over 10 years ago. I don't know how relevant it is these days but I think it could be fun. Warning, there are a lot of gifs and a couple of them involve his X-ray attacks but I put those in an additional spoiler in case anyone doesn't want to see those:

Sub Zero.gif
Sub-Zero
Weak Attacks:
A Combo
Sub-Zero does his jab combo from the Mortal Kombat games, which is basically alternating between left and right punches.

A-Combo.gif

Forward Tilt
Sub-Zero delivers a quick puch followed by a downward slash with his ice sword.

Forward-Tilt.gif

Up Tilt
This could be a high back kick like he does in his games.

Up-Tilt.gif

Down Tilt
Sub-Zero trips his opponent with a leg sweep. This could cause them to trip like the banana peel.

Down-Tilt.gif

Running A
Something similar to Mario's running A attack could work well here

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash
This could be a two hit attack like Link’s forward smash, using his ice sword. The first hit could strike upwards and the second could stab downwards.

Up Smash
Sub-Zero uppercuts his opponent. As he is charging the move, he can crouch.

Up-Smash.gif

Down Smash
Sub-Zero freezes the ground in front of him and a giant ice spike comes out of it, launching his opponent upwards.

Specials:
Neutral B – Freeze
Sub-Zero fires a wave of frozen energy at his opponent and freezes them. It can start aiming either forward or up like pit’s arrow but can’t be controlled mid flight. If you aim it up, it should come down wherever the enemy is at that time. It would be best if it froze the opponent in a similar way to the MK games, but if that’s impossible, PK Freeze style works too.

Neutral-B-2.gif

Neutral-B-3.gif

Forward B – Ground Freeze
Sub-Zero shoots ice at the ground which causes the opponent to do his ledge balancing animation and slide forward whenever they touch it. If that doesn't work, you can just have it trip them like Diddy’s banana peel. This could last about as long as Diddy’s banana peel, and using it again would cause the previous puddle to disappear.

Forward-B.gif

Up B – Ice Clone
Sub-Zero jumps up and creates an ice clone below him. This clone will freeze the opponent in the same way as his Neutral B. It would also be cool to be able to use this to cancel out of moves, creating a clone of the last pose he was in at the time (that might be too hard to do though).

Up-B.gif

Up-B-2.gif

Down B – Ice Slide
Sub-Zero slides along the ground and kicks his opponent. This could be very similar to Falcon Kick, just with ice effects instead of fire. It could also go diagonally downwards if used in the air.

Down-B.gif

Grabs:
Pummel
This could be a headbutt.
Pummel.gif

Forward Throw
Sub-Zero grabs his opponent’s stomach and freezes it with a bust of energy, causing him/her to launch forwards.
Forward-Throw.gif
Back Throw
Sub-Zero tosses his opponent backwards like his throw in his early Mortal Kombat games. Donkey Kong’s back throw might work well for this.

Back-Throw.gif

Up Throw
Something similar to Ike's up throw would work well.

Down Throw
Sub-Zero smashes his enemy into the ground and freezes them.

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Sub-Zero’s classic Aerial drop kick from his games. This could be close to Samus’ Aerial Neutral A.

Aerial-Neutral-A.gif

Forward A
Snake’s Aerial forward A could work pretty well here.

Aerial-Forward-A.gif

Back A
Something along the lines of Fox’s Aerial Back A would look awesome here.

Up A
Something like Captain Falcon’s Aerial Up A works fine here.

Down A
Again, Captain Falcon’s Aerial Down A is probably fine here too.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This makes me think about what MK-exclusive stuff can come with Sub-Zero.

SF came with unique command inputs and different attacks based on button input. Fatal Fury brought along Desperation Moves and Charge Inputs. Tekken brought diagonal tilts, and crouch-dashing. So this begs the question: what could MK bring? The first thing that comes to mind was staggers, which is when an opponent stumbles backwards from a fairly powerful hit, as well as Krushing Blows, once-per-match buffs to attacks that occur if certain conditions are met. Anyone else have anything MK could potentially have?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

SF came with unique command inputs and different attacks based on button input. Fatal Fury brought along Desperation Moves and Charge Inputs. Tekken brought diagonal tilts, and crouch-dashing. So this begs the question: what could MK bring? The first thing that comes to mind was staggers, which is when an opponent stumbles backwards from a fairly powerful hit, as well as Krushing Blows, once-per-match buffs to attacks that occur if certain conditions are met. Anyone else have anything MK could potentially have?
Dial-a-Kombo, which could be similar to Marth and co.'s side-B functionally but involves moves Scorpion/Sub use in their Kombos.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

In terms of fighting games, I hear MK is mostly distinguished by its dial-a-combos. Maybe you represent that with a bunch of normals that rekka like Link's forward smash does.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I guess any references to Fatalities could just be relegated to offscreen final smashes.

Noms: All my 15 noms to Gordon Freeman.
No way man, this isn't a Greek Tragedy. A lot of the more prominent Fatalities do not actually have a ton of gore- or at least, the gore aspect isn't a requirement.

So...the return of tripping? But, controlled.

In terms of fighting games, I hear MK is mostly distinguished by its dial-a-combos. Maybe you represent that with a bunch of normals that rekka like Link's forward smash does.
What does this mean?

NOMINATIONS:

All of them to Frogger

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
What does this mean?
Smash Wiki calls them natural combos, but, like... come on. I'm pretty lenient about Smash's inconsistency with other fighting game terms, but "natural combos" is on the level of "guessies".

Basically, a rekka is when you hit a button, and during that attack you hit a button and it causes an attack you can't get otherwise. Dancing Blade is a rekka. Cross Slash is a rekka. Actually, every character's jab combo is a rekka, too.

After a bit of Googling I managed to find enough info to present a practical example. Let's say Scorpion's forward tilt is the "Hack and Slash" string. You hit forward and A to do a kick, and then if you hit A again you'll do a chain swing thing. And you just adapt other strings in the same way for a lot of Scorpion's normals.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
, a rekka is when you hit a button, and during that attack you hit a button and it causes an attack you can't get otherwise. Dancing Blade is a rekka. Cross Slash is a rekka. Actually, every character's jab combo is a rekka, too
Specifically it comes from the Street Fighter character Fei Ling, whose QCF+P special, Rekka-Ken, must have its input repeated twice in order to complete the move.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
View attachment 322425Sub-Zero
Weak Attacks:
A Combo
Sub-Zero does his jab combo from the Mortal Kombat games, which is basically alternating between left and right punches.

View attachment 322406

Forward Tilt
Sub-Zero delivers a quick puch followed by a downward slash with his ice sword.

View attachment 322407

Up Tilt
This could be a high back kick like he does in his games.

View attachment 322409

Down Tilt
Sub-Zero trips his opponent with a leg sweep. This could cause them to trip like the banana peel.

View attachment 322410

Running A
Something similar to Mario's running A attack could work well here

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash
This could be a two hit attack like Link’s forward smash, using his ice sword. The first hit could strike upwards and the second could stab downwards.

Up Smash
Sub-Zero uppercuts his opponent. As he is charging the move, he can crouch.

View attachment 322411

Down Smash
Sub-Zero freezes the ground in front of him and a giant ice spike comes out of it, launching his opponent upwards.

Specials:
Neutral B – Freeze
Sub-Zero fires a wave of frozen energy at his opponent and freezes them. It can start aiming either forward or up like pit’s arrow but can’t be controlled mid flight. If you aim it up, it should come down wherever the enemy is at that time. It would be best if it froze the opponent in a similar way to the MK games, but if that’s impossible, PK Freeze style works too.

View attachment 322412
View attachment 322413

Forward B – Ground Freeze
Sub-Zero shoots ice at the ground which causes the opponent to do his ledge balancing animation and slide forward whenever they touch it. If that doesn't work, you can just have it trip them like Diddy’s banana peel. This could last about as long as Diddy’s banana peel, and using it again would cause the previous puddle to disappear.

View attachment 322415

Up B – Ice Clone
Sub-Zero jumps up and creates an ice clone below him. This clone will freeze the opponent in the same way as his Neutral B. It would also be cool to be able to use this to cancel out of moves, creating a clone of the last pose he was in at the time (that might be too hard to do though).

View attachment 322416
View attachment 322417

Down B – Ice Slide
Sub-Zero slides along the ground and kicks his opponent. This could be very similar to Falcon Kick, just with ice effects instead of fire. It could also go diagonally downwards if used in the air.

View attachment 322418

Grabs:
Pummel
This could be a headbutt.

Forward Throw
Sub-Zero grabs his opponent’s stomach and freezes it with a bust of energy, causing him/her to launch forwards.
Back Throw
Sub-Zero tosses his opponent backwards like his throw in his early Mortal Kombat games. Donkey Kong’s back throw might work well for this.

View attachment 322421

Up Throw
Something similar to Ike's up throw would work well.

Down Throw
Sub-Zero smashes his enemy into the ground and freezes them.

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Sub-Zero’s classic Aerial drop kick from his games. This could be close to Samus’ Aerial Neutral A.

View attachment 322422

Forward A
Snake’s Aerial forward A could work pretty well here.

View attachment 322423

Back A
Something along the lines of Fox’s Aerial Back A would look awesome here.

Up A
Something like Captain Falcon’s Aerial Up A works fine here.

Down A
Again, Captain Falcon’s Aerial Down A is probably fine here too.
Do you feel that Sub-Zero should have unique button inputs and auto turn around like the other FG characters, or do you feel that wouldn't be necessary? I definitely feel that the 'Back, Forward + A' motion should be present somewhere in his moveset, as it's an input very unique to Mortal Kombat. With the moveset you provided, I would probably map it as:
Freeze: Down, Forward + A
Ground Freeze: Down, Back + A
Slide: Back, Forward + A
Why should Mortal Kombat's representation in Smash be Scorpion instead of Sub-Zero? I guess Liu Kang is also an option, especially with the devs throwing us a curveball by choosing Kazuya over Heihachi, but eh let's keep this to the ninjas. Scorpion is on the cover of the most recent MK game, which is on Switch, so that helps. His line "GET OVER HERE" is known even by people who've never touched an MK game. On the other hand, Sub-Zero's blue character design is just as iconic as Scorpion's and he actually has his own spinoff game. Not a great spinoff game but yknow... So which of the two is really more deserving? I'd probably pick Scorpion because of the shenanigans that can happen with his chain and the chain itself being more iconic than just ice powers.
You know, I'm not really sure what they would go with. I've always felt that Scorpion or Sub-Zero were the obvious choices, with Scorpion having a slight edge mainly due to being Ed Boon's personal favorite. However, there is a strong case to be made for Subby as he's honestly just as popular and has actually appeared in a few more games, including his very own (incredibly janky) spinoff title. Plus, given that Sakurai chose Kazuya over Heihachi purely for gameplay reasons, I could see him doing the same with Sub-Zero. Like "hey we already have enough sword wielding, fire based characters. Maybe we should add that insanely rad ice ninja instead?"

There's honestly a decent case for Liu Kang though. He's one of the more tame characters, in that he isn't often portrayed as a brutal murderer. He's also incredibly important to the game's story as he's featured as the main protagonist more often than any other character. And much like Sub-Zero, he has his own spinoff game (alongside Kung Lao) that is actually really freaking good. Like honestly, anyone who is reading this, whether you are an MK fan or not, I highly recommend playing Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. That game has no right being as awesome as it is. Anyway, I still feel like Liu would be the wrong choice for Smash. He isn't even close to as popular as the ninjas, and in terms of aesthetics, gameplay, personality, etc. he really doesn't stand out all that much. I can honestly hear people shouting "oMg tHEy aDdeD aNoThEr ShoTo?" if Liu Kang made it into Smash. I also feel that adding a revenge fueled psychopath would capture the essence of MK much better than a goody two shoes shaolin monk.

Yeah, I still feel like it should be Scorpion. The kicker for me is his catchphrase. If an MK character were added to Smash and we don't get to hear Kirby shout "Get over here!" then that would be an absolute travesty. I also think that Scorpion's 'Toasty!' is one of the few Fatalities that could actually work as a Final Smash, since it isn't gory and is just cartoony enough to get by. I picture something where he teleports the opponent to the NetherRealm, as it cuts to the opponent's point of view so that the camera focuses on Scorpion, as opposed to...you know, the character that is currently engulfed in flames.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you feel that Sub-Zero should have unique button inputs and auto turn around like the other FG characters, or do you feel that wouldn't be necessary? I definitely feel that the 'Back, Forward + A' motion should be present somewhere in his moveset, as it's an input very unique to Mortal Kombat. With the moveset you provided, I would probably map it as:

You know, I'm not really sure what they would go with. I've always felt that Scorpion or Sub-Zero were the obvious choices, with Scorpion having a slight edge mainly due to being Ed Boon's personal favorite. However, there is a strong case to be made for Subby as he's honestly just as popular and has actually appeared in a few more games, including his very own (incredibly janky) spinoff title. Plus, given that Sakurai chose Kazuya over Heihachi purely for gameplay reasons, I could see him doing the same with Sub-Zero. Like "hey we already have enough sword wielding, fire based characters. Maybe we should add that insanely rad ice ninja instead?"

There's honestly a decent case for Liu Kang though. He's one of the more tame characters, in that he isn't often portrayed as a brutal murderer. He's also incredibly important to the game's story as he's featured as the main protagonist more often than any other character. And much like Sub-Zero, he has his own spinoff game (alongside Kung Lao) that is actually really freaking good. Like honestly, anyone who is reading this, whether you are an MK fan or not, I highly recommend playing Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. That game has no right being as awesome as it is. Anyway, I still feel like Liu would be the wrong choice for Smash. He isn't even close to as popular as the ninjas, and in terms of aesthetics, gameplay, personality, etc. he really doesn't stand out all that much. I can honestly hear people shouting "oMg tHEy aDdeD aNoThEr ShoTo?" if Liu Kang made it into Smash. I also feel that adding a revenge fueled psychopath would capture the essence of MK much better than a goody two shoes shaolin monk.

Yeah, I still feel like it should be Scorpion. The kicker for me is his catchphrase. If an MK character were added to Smash and we don't get to hear Kirby shout "Get over here!" then that would be an absolute travesty. I also think that Scorpion's 'Toasty!' is one of the few Fatalities that could actually work as a Final Smash, since it isn't gory and is just cartoony enough to get by. I picture something where he teleports the opponent to the NetherRealm, as it cuts to the opponent's point of view so that the camera focuses on Scorpion, as opposed to...you know, the character that is currently engulfed in flames.
Yeah, I made that move set when Brawl was still the newest Smash game. At this point, it would feel off not to make him play like the other fighting game characters. I like the optional button inputs and auto facing your opponent which helps make the fighting game characters feel more authentic to their source material.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

It would be Scorpion because he is the face of the franchise. Simple.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I get what you mean, but as someone who plays charge characters in fighting games, it's kinda funny to hear it described as a Mortal Kombat exclusive.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
It would be Scorpion because he is the face of the franchise. Simple.
I agree that it definitely should be Scorpion. But then again, Heihachi is definitely the face of Tekken, yet we got Kazuya instead. And much like Kazuya, Sub-Zero shares the spotlight with Scorpion all the time and definitely has a case to be made for his inclusion in Smash.
I get what you mean, but as someone who plays charge characters in fighting games, it's kinda funny to hear it described as a Mortal Kombat exclusive.
Yeah I guess charge specials are pretty similar, but still do work differently from the MK inputs.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've thought of an idea for the stage gimmick:

In The Pit, this is normally a walk-off stage with side blast-lines, but the main platform is different: if an opponent is over 100% and is spiked, then that opponent treats the ground as a KoF Stadium wall-type gimmick. Spike someone with enough force, and you'll perform a variant of the "stage fatalities" that the series is known for. Sounds nice, right?

amageish

Smash Master
Please press down the block button and hit up and down several times in quick secession to unleash... the NOMS LIST.

50+ noms
Astral Chain rep - x110
Hat Kid - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Zoe* - x65
Laharl - x65
Black Mage - x60
Axel Stone - x60
Heavy - x60

Saber - x55
Chibi-Robo - x55

26-50 noms
Aether/Lumine/The-Traveler (Genshin Impact MC) - x50
Bubsy - x50
Ryza - x45
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ichiban - x45
Illidan Stormrage - x40
Madeleine - x40
Sakura Shinguji - x40
Gordon Freeman - x40
2B - x40
Octoling - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20

5-10 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x10
Frogger - x5
Brian - x5
Rivals of Aether rep - x5
Jonesy - x5
Geolyte (Meteos) - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

I'm hoping this is all of them; there were some longer posts that I didn't see any nominations in, but I recognize there's a chance they were in the middle there somewhere...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Please press down the block button and hit up and down several times in quick secession to unleash... the NOMS LIST.

50+ noms
Astral Chain rep - x110
Hat Kid - x80
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Zoe* - x65
Laharl - x65
Black Mage - x60
Axel Stone - x60
Heavy - x60

Saber - x55
Chibi-Robo - x55

26-50 noms
Aether/Lumine/The-Traveler (Genshin Impact MC) - x50
Bubsy - x50
Ryza - x45
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ichiban - x45
Madeleine - x40
Sakura Shinguji - x40
Gordon Freeman - x40
2B - x40
Octoling - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Illidan Stormrage - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20

5-10 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x10
Frogger - x5
Brian - x5
Rivals of Aether rep - x5
Jonesy - x5
Geolyte (Meteos) - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

I'm hoping this is all of them; there were some longer posts that I didn't see any nominations in, but I recognize there's a chance they were in the middle there somewhere...
I think you missed my latest Illidan nomination. By my count, he should be at 40.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we’re starting with Elma now, I’ve got a question for everyone. How would you like to see her Skell incorporated into Elma’s moveset? The Skells were one of the most interesting things about that game so it would be cool to see it in more than just a cinematic final smash (even though I think that may be the most likely outcome).

I personally love the Xenoblade series and Elma is my favorite of all the lead protagonists. Unfortunately I never got around to beating X because I found the resource management to be a little overwhelming but I’d love to give it another shot some day.

Noms:
x20 Illidan Stormrage

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms: Rivals of Aether x5

From my understanding, Xenoblade X has more of a strict sci-fi feel than 1 and 2 involving some fantasy/magic elements. Is this true?

Also, how would Elma play? I'm under the impression she'd be more of a gunner.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
AW YEAH BABY

THE QUEEN’S TIME HAS COME

If we’re starting with Elma now, I’ve got a question for everyone. How would you like to see her Skell incorporated into Elma’s moveset? The Skells were one of the most interesting things about that game so it would be cool to see it in more than just a cinematic final smash (even though I think that may be the most likely outcome).

I personally love the Xenoblade series and Elma is my favorite of all the lead protagonists. Unfortunately I never got around to beating X because I found the resource management to be a little overwhelming but I’d love to give it another shot some day.

Noms:
x20 Illidan Stormrage
Maybe as part of her intro animation too, like she leaps out of a flying Skell similarly to the Star Fox peeps and Zero Suit?
Noms: Rivals of Aether x5

From my understanding, Xenoblade X has more of a strict sci-fi feel than 1 and 2 involving some fantasy/magic elements. Is this true?

Also, how would Elma play? I'm under the impression she'd be more of a gunner.
yeah, X is more sci-fi, and that’s kinda why I enjoy it so much. It pretty much scratched my itch for a hardcore sci fi JRPG after Xenosaga

Elma has twin swords AND twin guns and X has a weapon switching mechanic. In hindsight, maybe Elma could be an “install” character where her moves change depending on whether she’s using the dual swords or dual guns

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Elma is a character who's from what many consider a "black sheep" for the franchise, but it's still an entry worthy of bearing the name Xenoblade.

She seems like a really powerful character who swaps different attacks on the fly and is all about dealing as much damage as possible in your party. She also has something called "Overdrive", which bolsters her abilities to ridiculous levels. To my understanding, and my memory of using it from Xenoblade 2's DLC, Overdrive can be extended by chaining arts together in quick succession, which I believe helps in Xenoblade X since Arts can be charged twice, and even thrice with Overdrive active.

In Smash, I could imagine this being a sort of "snowball" mechanic where you need to keep it going to fully exploit its benefits: like, you can activate it at anytime but you have to keep attacking and chaining Specials together to keep it active for longer.

Top Bottom