• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've only played about an hour of Okami but I think Amaterasu would make for a really cool Smash character. We don't have many quadrapedal fighters yet and both Duck Hunt and Ivysaur are pretty cartoony. Amaterasu would be a pretty unique case with much more realistic proportions and is very stylish.

What kinds of music would you like to see if Amaterasu makes it in?

x10 Bill & Lance
Music to me is one of the most important parts of Okami, though I'm biased because it was Okami music that made me finally play the game in the first place. I went to Tommy Tallarico's Video Games Live concert and they played music from Okami and something about existing in that moment with the beautiful visuals and music washing over me moved me to tears.

So beautiful! Nothing like hearing it live, but still a wonderful selection of tracks. They're just as beautiful in-game, too.

Nominations:
Ichiban x10

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think I want to Photoshop together a set of alts for Ammy. I actually did that once before, but I don't really have it with me. And I'd probably want to redo it anyway...

Anyway, as for music:

Rather than Shinshu Field's theme, it seems like Ryoshima Coast has kind of become the "1-1" music of the game.

The battle theme is the most obvious choice ever, though I think it might need a remix to fit the typical Smash mold.

Issun's theme would need a remix, but it plays so often it's one of the themes I most associate with the game.

And then there's Kushi's Ride, which plays as you're heading toward specific plot events.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hey, I have a new paintbrush technique to show y'all...

50+ noms
Monika - x140
Jill Stingray - x115
Sir Arthur - x95
Scorpion - x93
Elma - x88
Bill & Lance - x85
Warframe rep - x80
Hat Kid - x75
Astral Chain rep - x70
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Saber - x55

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Heavy - x45
2B - x40
Ryza - x35
Bubsy - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Axel Stone - x35
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Octoling - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Ichiban - x25
Black Mage - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20

5-10 noms
Madeleine - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x5
Ezio - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

See? It made the noms list appear!

I haven't given my noms yet. All 30 of them goes to Wadanohara, a new candidate.
Okay! Please do consider creating a Support Thread for them. I will count nominations for now, but it is good to have a support thread just so people can brush up (heh, unintentional Okami pun) on the character if they aren't familiar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, it's about time to move over, ahemtoday ahemtoday .

Side note, our new schedule is gonna look something like this
Day 39 - Monika
Day 40 - Jill Stingray
Day 41 - Sir Arthur
Day 42 - Scorpion
Day 43 - Elma
Day 44 - Bill & Lance
Day 45 - Warframe rep
YEEEEEAH BOI I’m so showing up on day 43

amageish

Smash Master
Alright, it's about time to move over, ahemtoday ahemtoday .

Side note, our new schedule is gonna look something like this
Day 39 - Monika
Day 40 - Jill Stingray
Day 41 - Sir Arthur
Day 42 - Scorpion
Day 43 - Elma
Day 44 - Bill & Lance
Day 45 - Warframe rep
In spite of me being the person who keeps track of nominations and noticing people switching over to new nomination topics, I honestly had no clue that we had reached the end of the week lol. Whoops!

Well, I guess we get back-to-back days of characters whose support threads I run that were (initially at least) being nominated by people who are not me...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So I put together those alts I was talking about.

View attachment 321721

I want to see if I've done a good enough job for y'all to guess what these alts are supposed to be based on.
I don’t really know enough about Okami to know if these are really referencing anything specific but I do really like the color choices. I especially like the second palate and the final one.

The second one reminds me of Susanoo from Blazblue but I kind of doubt that’s what the reference was.

1625520222776.jpeg

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I don’t really know enough about Okami to know if these are really referencing anything specific but I do really like the color choices. I especially like the second palate and the final one.

The second one reminds me of Susanoo from Blazblue but I kind of doubt that’s what the reference was.

View attachment 321741
The resemblance occurred to me, but no, it's based on Issun.

The Susano alt is the fourth one.

Anyway, here come the noms!

GolisoPower x15 (20 Total)
Eldrake x10 (15 Total)
ahemtoday x45 (50 Total)
Cutie Gwen x10 (15 Total)
Technomage x10 (15 Total)
Paraster x5 (10 Total)
Perkilator x5 (10 Total)
Speed Weed x5 (10 Total)
Dan Quixote x10 (15 Total)
amageish x5 (10 Total)
ZelDan x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x5 (10 Total)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ah frick I didn't use those 20 noms from last time

Ah well, people have been carrying over noms semi-often already. Can't really say no at this point

Madeleine x20

Anyways, always remember:

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, uh, I'm here with a special guest here today. Please, Ms. Monika, tell us about yourself.

Gladly. So, my name is Monika, and I'm the in-game guide-turned-main antagonist of Doki Doki Literature Club, which is an indie visual novel horror game. It was made by Dan Salvato, who actually had a hand in something called, uh, what was it, Project M? Anyways, the Literature Club exploded in popularity by the time I was born, and it even developed a sizeable fanbase over time!

Ah, thank you, Ms. Monika. Now tell me, why do you think your franchise should be in Smash over other indie games like Cave Story or Touhou Project, or Lethal League? What do you bring to the table that others don't, aside from being a Visual Novel character?

Ohhh, that's a good question! Well, as I've said before, I'm from a game with the closest ties to Smash through Mr. Salvato, which already was a strong point before, but now the newest iteration of the Literature Club, which was called Doki Doki Literature Club Plus, managed to make it into consoles, including the Nintendo Switch! As for what I bring to the table, to quote a certain purple giant, reality can be whatever I want. More specifically, I could manipulate the game's code to my liking, which...may have resulted in a death or two, but don't worry, they got better! In Smash, I could use this to manipulate Smash Bros to fight! Tweaking other fighters, manipulating the stage, maybe even have fun with the game itself! I would never mess with the console though, I have standards.

Oh, you'd certainly be unique in the confines of Smash, that's for sure! Now, the last question before we move on to the rest of the thread: what kind of content would you bring?

Interesting question...well obviously the Literature Club could be the stage. Probably would take place on the text box much like PictoChat. Maybe there would also be words with different effects that players can take advantage of in battle? I'm not sure how to fill an entire Spirit Board considering the scant amount of candidates, though I'm positive the other members would be a given. As for music, the game actually has a decent selection of tracks to pick from. It's energetic, it's fun, and it could totally fit the context of Smash Bros!

I'm sure it would, Monika! Well, thank you for coming over for today, let's turn our attention to the other thread-goers for their thoughts!

(This only episode of The Today Show with GolisoPower was brought to you by Astral Chain, the first-party action game by Nintendo & PlatinumGames who has received all of Goliso's noms for today!)

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
We're now on Monika discussion, eh? Well then, time to submit this idea of mine again:

Monika would make a great candidate for an "Equilibrium" reveal trailer that involves crushing both Galeem and Dharkon (as well as a "finale character" for the last DLC spot). She'd also make a great main antagonist for a World of Light expansion. Those of you who know about Monika's 4th-wall-breaking and game-manipulation powers will understand the logic behind my idea.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
What would be a good choice for a DDLC stage? What would its layout be? (edit: missed this being discussed on Goliso's post)

What would Monika's alternate colors be?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Anyways, always remember:
Weirdly, it was also cut from the original version via patch, but is now back??? Monika's discussion of Smash Bros during Act 3 is still missing though, assumedly because they can't find a way to justify Monika bringing up Smash Bros as a "default topic" in the new metanarrative about DDLC's development, while the "PM" in "PM Died for This" has alternative explanations now that aren't Smash references.

What would Monika's alternate colors be?
Well, I think the first five are pretty self-explanatory: Normal Monika, Sayori-coloured Monika, Yuri-coloured Monika, Natsuki-coloured Monika, and MC-coloured Monika. Then... uh.... Jumpscare Monika, as TechnoMage posted? With two left, you may as well do one outfit change and give her the white dress that is most commonly used as her non-school-uniform casual outfit (though she did get a different one when practicing social dokistancing last year).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I wish to ask every one of you guys here:

How deep would you want Monika's code-tweaking abilities to go in her moveset? The ideas I had were basically extracting assets from other stages or weaponizing different UIs (She could use a miniature pause menu for her grab, for one), maybe even some feck-off insane stuff like summoning blast lines, subtracting time from clocks if it was timed, or maybe even turning one of a fighter's stocks into an A.I.-controlled puppet to fight alongside you. But I dunno how crazy is "too" crazy, except for when it directly affects the console.

What does everyone think, huh?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

How deep would you want Monika's code-tweaking abilities to go in her moveset? The ideas I had were basically extracting assets from other stages or weaponizing different UIs (She could use a miniature pause menu for her grab, for one), maybe even some feck-off insane stuff like summoning blast lines, subtracting time from clocks if it was timed, or maybe even turning one of a fighter's stocks into an A.I.-controlled puppet to fight alongside you. But I dunno how crazy is "too" crazy, except for when it directly affects the console.

If her Final Smash isn't her deleting you from the game, I'll be mildly disappointed.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
15 noms to my boy the Black Mage please and thank ya

This is gonna start off so off topic but bear with me.
I've been a proponent of Ashley for Smash for a while now. Not because I particularly love her as a character though. Yeah she’s cute and she has a unique personality in the Mario franchise for just… not being very nice. She’s cool, I appreciate her well enough. But mostly I think her witch powers would make for an absolutely killer moveset. I think a fighter that can cast various debuffs (spells and curses in Ashley’s case) on the other players in the game could make for a super cerebral playstyle! Imagine a special move that shrinks the opponent down for a bit like they got hit with a Poison Mushroom. Now they’re harder to land a hit on but get launched much faster, and you have to figure out how to take advantage of this debuff. It’s really like you’re playing as a boss ain’t it?

I realized somewhat recently that Monika could also do this. Before I thought the idea of Monika was silly because all she does in her game is sit there and screw with code telepathically or something. (I still kinda see it as a silly idea because DDLC is a pretty minor game in the grand scheme of things but eh different point) But DEBUFFS! That could be a super interesting moveset. Monika screwing with the code of a character to shrink them down to size, or to make them use a random move/taunt uncontrollably, or even crazier things like causing damage to themselves which is hella dark but canon. And then Monika’s normal moves would be pretty weak—small slaps or kicks—because she’s just a normal schoolgirl, so you’d have to be smart to take full advantage of the debuffs.

so yeah with that mindset I don’t think I’d mind Monika in Smash at all. Plus it would be hilarious in the same vein as the Sans Mii costume. The principles I laid out here would work if she was a boss, too, btw. So what do you dudes think of that sort of moveset for Monika?

DDLC would also make a perfect Spirit Board event considering there’s four characters. Imagine Kirby for Natsuki lol.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really love the idea of Monika being able to use assets from the game that absolutely should not be there in a really uncanny way. It reminds me a lot of the Strong Bad Email "virus" which had the amazing gimmick of constantly having other parts of the website encroach on the cartoon as it played. It also makes me think of something like Bioshock Infinite where rifts to other dimensions would open up and deposit things into the time period that should not exist yet. They could even go all out and do things like Eternal Darkness's Sanity Effects, which Nintendo still holds a patent on. I think the most interesting thing they could do with Monika is go super deep and super meta with it, make it seem like she shouldn't even be in the game at all. Heck, make her character slot a pixel too wide on the CSS or something. Little touches.

Nominations: Ichiban xMax

amageish

Smash Master

I mean, I think it's probably been established to long-time thread viewers that I give basically every visual novel adventure game protagonist some sort of gimmick where they weaponize the UI of their game, so it's no surprise I support it happening with Monika. I do love the idea of her having moves that specifically work in the fact she is in Smash as well.

Also, I did up a quick-and-dirty spirit board.

Yes, this spirit board is very silly, but this game has exactly 4 named characters plus the protagonist, so, yeah, I had to stretch logic slightly by giving Sayori/Yuri/Natsuki some associated items as spirits.

Credit for the templates goes to the appropriately named TemplatesForSmash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think I have ever heard of Doki Doki Literature club besides maybe just hearing the name somewhere. The ideas presented here so far seem really interesting and Monika would be very unique.

I feel like I don’t really even know enough about the series to even ask a relevant question that hasn’t already been answered so I’ll default to one of my general interests that hasn’t been addressed yet for now.

What are some good examples of songs you’d like to see make it in along with Monika?

x20 Astral Chain rep

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I don’t think I have ever heard of Doki Doki Literature club besides maybe just hearing the name somewhere. The ideas presented here so far seem really interesting and Monika would be very unique.

I feel like I don’t really even know enough about the series to even ask a relevant question that hasn’t already been answered so I’ll default to one of my general interests that hasn’t been addressed yet for now.

What are some good examples of songs you’d like to see make it in along with Monika?

x20 Astral Chain rep
Oh! Well, we haven't been shy with spoilers thus far, so, uh, sorry about that one. DDLC is a dating sim visual novel and horror game that got an enhanced console port announced at E3 and released last week, with a physical version coming out at the end of summer!

Monika's thing is that she is a non-romanaceable tutorial character in a dating sim enviroment, while also being a self-aware artificial intelligence who really just wants to romance the player - not the main character of the game, but the person playing the game, as the player is the only other intelligent life she has contact with. This goal causes her to mess with the games code, leading to the deaths of all her friends and a very meta horror experience on the part of the player. In the game's climax, you have to delete Monika from the game's files (when playing on PC, this is literally done within the files of the game, while the enhanced version uses an in-game PC interface) and this causes her to realize what she did was wrong and ultimately she (or Sayori, depending on the game's ending) bricks her own game to keep things from going further awry.

It's a very meta game in the current metamodernist trend of games that include commentary about the relationship between games and their players.

I believe GolisoPower already linked some music, but the most obvious song - the song that I imagine would be the one included with a Monika Mii Costume - has to be the game's credits song, "Your Reality". There is also a (lyricless) equivalent song in DDLC+ lore-wise, which is the much lower-key "My Song, Your Note."

I imagine, were DDLC to actually come to Smash, it would require a MineCraft-esque situation of having only a few songs selected, but with almost all of them being remixes. It's a dating sim; the music is generally pretty energetic but not fighting-ready.

Speaking of dating sims, after I kind of wasted a few days of nominations on things already locked in the top 7 for all intents and purposes became overly committed to my nomination regime, I guess I will need to nominate something new... Zoe x 10! I'll make her a thread later today or tomorrow; I hope it isn't seen as too self-serving for me to use my own "You can nominate someone without a thread as long as they have a thread by the time we discuss them" rule....

Okay, everyone~! It's time to share your poems for the day! Here's mine.

50+ noms
Astral Chain rep - x110
Hat Kid - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Saber - x55
Heavy - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Axel Stone - x45
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Black Mage - x40
2B - x40
Ryza - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Ichiban - x30
Madeleine - x30
Wilfre* - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Octoling - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20

5-10 noms
Zoe* - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Sakura Shinguji - x5
Ori - x5
Ezio - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I feel like there are some really screwy things you could do with the stage. I think it'd be fun to somehow have files that players can delete, or something.

Also, normally it bugs me when stages are just the name of the game of it's from, but in this case I think you have to call it specifically "Doki Doki Literature Club".

Anyway, put all my noms on Chibi-Robo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How would a reveal trailer go?

I know TechnoMage brought up Monika showing up as an "Equilibrium" force against Galeem & Dharkon, and that's really fun to think about. My personally, though, I imagine something along the lines of some of the female Smash Bros characters (Standing in for the Literature Club members) and Joker being shown in the average slice-of-life anime school life, only for things to glitch out and reveal a void, in which Monika herself appears before them. Kinda like this:

Cross flair intro

The trailer starts with a ringing school bell before zooming out of a picturesque Japanese school classroom, with Pyra, Female Villager, Daisy, and Joker, all in school uniforms, walking out of class. A new door opens and the four school classmates walk into a new room, where they sit down and relax, waiting for a fifth and final member to join them. After a few interactions between the characters, Pyra freezes up as her eyes flat-out glitch a little bit before she snaps out of it just as quickly, cradling her head. Suddenly, they notice the entire room being eaten away by pink energy until eventually, the four are suddenly plunged inside a large, dark red void. The quartet, unnerved by all this, gets a good look at their surroundings before a small giggle is heard.

"Oh. There you are! Sorry that I'm late, I had a few things to handle."

They whirl in the direction of the voice, where they see a single pair of glowing green lights staring down at them. Pyra manages to muster enough courage to summon her Aegis sword, which prompts Joker to take out his knife and gun. Villager and Daisy, still visibly nervous, manage to prepare for battle nonetheless.

"Hey, now, no need to be so hostile," said the young voice, her playfulness evident. "I'm just the same girl I always was. Although...you four aren't the ones I know."

As the voice monologues, the lights get closer until a young, feminine silhouette begins to form from within the void.

"Still, I can't be too picky. Having to be cooped up in my own game gets a bit boring after a while. I wanna see more. I wanna do more."

The silhouette then reveals itself as the shine in their eyes dies down, revealing...an inconspicuous-looking high-school girl with a white ribbon on her ponytail. Her smile then loses any form of innocence it had before as it now becomes more...impish.

"Now then, let's get this club in session!"

MONIKA Books A Spot!?

We then see gameplay of Monika starting off in the "Literature Club Room" stage, where she showcases a moveset involving tampering with the source code of Smash and changing it to suit her needs. Relocating platforms, changing stage properties, and even adding new blast lines. The trailer abruptly ends as she activates her Final Smash before the viewer is treated to one-on-one time with Monika.

"Well...that was fun, wasn't it? I'm in Smash now. Bet you didn't expect that. Though there will be some of you that will be leaving with sour tastes in your mouths, that's to be expected. giggle...I look forward to be on your Switches pretty soon. Goodbye for now, I'll remember you all when Sakurai hosts my presentation. Tune in~"

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X j̸̢̨͉̹͈͖̼̜̼̙͚̬̺͓̔͋͆̆̒͘̚͝ͅư̸̞͙̣̳̍̌͆̈́̂͊̏͋̌̿͘͜s̸̡͎̠̞̝͓͒̈́̈́̋̉͂̌͘̕͠t̵̨͓̞̲̀̈́̍̆͑ ̴̨̠͉͔̱̘̦̌̔͆̽͂̚͠m̸̛͚̖̘͖̝̬̍́̾͐̈́̀̒̀̐̑̒̈ō̷̡̾ņ̸̣̪̎̑̿͊͛̉̕̚̕͜ȉ̸̡̦͚̱͚̟̬͉̤̝̝͕͝k̷̛͎͎͇̤̥̿͒̌̀̔ą̷͕̞̺͕͓̱̹͇͙͉̞̘͉̩̽̐̽̑̃͊̓̚ Doki Doki Literature Club! Plus

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Team Salvato

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What would Monika’s taunts be like?

inb4 jumpscare taunt
I'd like to imagine one of her taunts being taking out a notebook, writing a poem inside and randomly generate one of the other Literature Club members' stickers, as a reference to the scenes where you can choose to write a poem for a specific member. Maybe on a rare occasion, she'd summon the sticker of herself, too!

amageish

Smash Master
What would Monika’s taunts be like?

inb4 jumpscare taunt
I think one would have to be waving at the player... I like the idea of her writing things and maybe summoning another club member, if they aren't just cameos on the DDLC stage.

How about

Monika’s Boxing Ring title?
"The Literature Club President" is probably the best generic phrase, if they wanted to go that route. Interesting question though; we should discuss Boxing Ring titles more as they can be fun...

Maybe something involving glitched letters?

Glitches seem good to have, though I also feel like those should be all on random chances. Like, maybe have it be a 1/3 change her name displays wrong or a 1/8 chance that her victory theme just doesn't play, or something?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Here come the noms!

Monika x∞ (∞ Total)

GolisoPower x20 (25 Total)
Technomage x15 (20 Total)
Paraster x5 (10 Total)
amageish x20 (25 Total)
chocolatejr9 x5 (10 Total)
Dan Quixote x5 (10 Total)
Flyboy x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x5 (10 Total)