• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Too soon? Probably just me since I'm not active during when everyone is active (which is around 4-5) there's still lots of usual question that hasn't been said but I'm just waiting for everyone thoughts.

amageish

Smash Master
Every character gets 24 hours no matter what and it's been about 20, so I don't think it's time to move on yet.

So, who should get Mii Costumes? Do we expand into other CyGames properties? If so, which ones?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Every character gets 24 hours no matter what and it's been about 20, so I don't think it's time to move on yet.

So, who should get Mii Costumes? Do we expand into other CyGames properties? If so, which ones?
Soriz Mii Brawler, Narmaya Swordfighter, Eustace Gunner seem like givens. As mentioned before, the Vyrn suit seems like a fun option as well. I dunno enough about Rage of Bahamut to know which costumes get which, but Mii Costumes of some Dragalia Lost summons seem fairly likely since DL is a 1st-party IP.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

I already asked that question and previously I suggest the Vyrn suit to be one of them
Another question what is the perfect candidate for a Mii Costume? De all know we can't have Granblue without the Vyrn.. Suit.
Another one is probably going to be Katalina or other prominent character in the game.
I dunno enough about Rage of Bahamut to know which costumes get which, but Mii Costumes of some Dragalia Lost summons seem fairly likely since DL is a 1st-party IP.
Speaking of Rage of Bahamut, would be cool if we also get content from Cygames other games like Shadowverse and Princess Connect! Re:Dive, the first one being a card game. I never really actually play both of those but if I could guess for a Mii costume Erika (Shadowverse) and Eustiana/Pecorine (Princess Connect) is a good candidate, Erika being referenced in Djeeta's color palette and while her other friend, Kokoro is the one ended up as Djeeta's color palette Pecorine (Eustiana's usual nickname) is the main character.

Say who would be a good assist trophy? I can't refrain everyone to look only at Versus but since it is universally known than the mobile game itself I'll let it pass (even if we're limiting to only those character but I can't blame 'em since it's a gacha game with thousands of character.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention, if you guys is interested you can actually play the game on you PC/Laptop directly by downloading them from the official website. https://granbluefantasy.jp/sp/en/, it also gives a brief rundown of some character that is featured and some important information about the world of GBF by clicking 'MENU' and click 'WORLD' or 'THEATER'.

Forgot my noms so.. Noms Axel Stone, I believe it is 10x? or I have more than that?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Say who would be a good assist trophy? I can't refrain everyone to look only at Versus but since it is universally known than the mobile game itself I'll let it pass (even if we're limiting to only those character but I can't blame 'em since it's a gacha game with thousands of character.
As far as Assists go, I'd see Narmaya being the prime candidate. She was basically a character who has had breakout popularity from what I've read, gaining multiple costumes and even a licensed body pillow of all things.

As for how she'd work, I'd imagine her being summoned in either Dawnfly or Freeflutter stance, which would allow her attacks one of two different effects.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
As far as Assists go, I'd see Narmaya being the prime candidate. She was basically a character who has had breakout popularity from what I've read, gaining multiple costumes and even a licensed body pillow of all things.

As for how she'd work, I'd imagine her being summoned in either Dawnfly or Freeflutter stance, which would allow her attacks one of two different effects.
That's pretty good, although these characters is not really popular they would probably make a good gimmick.

The first one being Mirin (Light) where she can use her Binding Flash skill to cut enemies multiple times, basically like Lyn but doesn't need a long animation.

The other one being Joel where he could use his Charge Attack, All-Out Butterfly which makes a big wave and swam through the enemy. And for giggles heals the summoner a little bit since he's a Heal type as an SR.

These 2 is basically my current favorite character that I have and always use.

Other than that what would be a good series icon?​

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, I'm the biggest Granblue stan on this website no doubt, been playing for 5+ years.

If any y'all got any questions in need of answering, feel free, lol
Any questions, eh?

I asked this earlier but it kinda got drowned out, so what's the overall setting of this game? I can at least gather that there's multiple races and a sky-based setting, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Shroob

Sup?
Any questions, eh?

I asked this earlier but it kinda got drowned out, so what's the overall setting of this game? I can at least gather that there's multiple races and a sky-based setting, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Setting?

Pseudo-fantasy. Bunch of floating islands in the sky, broken up into various kingdoms. Is there anything in specific you'd want to know?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Setting?

Pseudo-fantasy. Bunch of floating islands in the sky, broken up into various kingdoms. Is there anything in specific you'd want to know?
Basically the important details. Like, what's all the races in the setting, the major kingdoms, stuff like that. At least the basics of those; It seems like there's a lot to unpack with Granblue.

Shroob

Sup?
Basically the important details. Like, what's all the races in the setting, the major kingdoms, stuff like that. At least the basics of those; It seems like there's a lot to unpack with Granblue.
There's 5 main races.

Human, Erune, Draph, Harvin, Primal.

Human is what it says on the tin.

Erune are the beast people, usually humans with cat ears, though there's various ones like dogs, monkeys, etc.

Draphs are the mega-sexually dimorphic race. Males are huge, horned, muscular dudes, while women are short, horned and... booba. The fan nickname for them is "Cows" for a reason, they're basically Bull/Cow people.

Harvins are basically hobbits/gnomes. Small people, usually big ears, usually the most magically inclined and the longest lived race by far, there's several Harvin who have been alive for hundreds of years, when the majority of the other races have roughly human lifespans.

Primal is the most varied and can appear however. They used to be weapons created by the original race, the Astrals, but over time, the Primals became more akin to local deities or whatnot for the various islands.

As mentioned above, Astrals are the original race. They created all the prior races to effectively be slave labor, but one thing led to another, and a huge war broke out, with their creations winning, either outright killing all the Astrals, or causing them to flee.

There's also lots of small races, like Vampires, Crysalia(Ice Elves), etc, but they're all very small and don't have a whole lot of members.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I'm gonna be busy for the morning. Tagging ahemtoday ahemtoday , but I won't be able to respond for a while. Technically it doesn't fully shift until I do it, but I'll let you start discussing Amaterasu now since I'll be preoccupied.

amageish

Smash Master
Let's just do one more summon before the topic shifts, shall we?

Oh look, we summoned a noms list! How exciting.

50+ noms
Monika - x135
Jill Stingray - x105
Sir Arthur - x90
Elma - x88
Scorpion - x83
Hat Kid - x75
Bill & Lance - x75

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Warframe rep - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Astral Chain rep - x60

26-50 noms
Saber - x50
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Heavy - x45
2B - x40
Ryza - x35
Bubsy - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Wilfre* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Axel Stone - x30
Octoling - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Ichiban - x15

5-10 noms
Madeleine - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x5
Ezio - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

I just happened to be doing this while SharkLord posted lol.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
In retrospect, it's really hard to come up with references to make when this thread is halfway dedicated to lesser-known characters. I don't know how amageish amageish does it.

SharkLord x15 (20 Total)
Gengar84 x5 (10 Total)
Technomage x5 (10 Total)
GolisoPower x25 (30 Total)
Flyboy x5 (10 Total)
Eldrake x5 (10 Total)
amageish x10 (15 Total)
Commander_Alph x25 (30 Total)
Shroob x5 (10 Total)

It's Amaterasu time, baby!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okami is an interesting video game that first debuted on the PlayStation 2. It's an action-adventure game where the main mechanic is using Japanese ink wash painting to progress through the level, rejuvenating trees, completing constellations, and fighting bosses being only a portion of the things you can do with the Celestial Brush mechanic. You play as a wolf, the goddess Amaterasu, who is guided by Issun, an inch-tall artist who serves as the guide of the game, on a quest to stop the eight-headed monster Orochi.

As for how a moveset would go...much like Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu has appeared in Marvel VS. Capcom 3 as a playable character, giving her a lot of points for inspiration when creating it.

Noms:
Warframe rep x10
Astral Chain rep x10
Saber x5

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Since obviously Amaterasu wouldn't freeze or slow time to ink over the place with her celestial brush, I think it'd make sense to just have her instaink with special and (maybe) smash moves. Otherwise I am not entirely certain of the direction I'd take with her moveset.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Okami is an interesting video game that first debuted on the PlayStation 2. It's an action-adventure game where the main mechanic is using Japanese ink wash painting to progress through the level, rejuvenating trees, completing constellations, and fighting bosses being only a portion of the things you can do with the Celestial Brush mechanic. You play as a wolf, the goddess Amaterasu, who is guided by Issun, an inch-tall artist who serves as the guide of the game, on a quest to stop the eight-headed monster Orochi.

As for how a moveset would go...much like Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu has appeared in Marvel VS. Capcom 3 as a playable character, giving her a lot of points for inspiration when creating it.

Noms:
Warframe rep x10
Astral Chain rep x10
Saber x5
See, it's funny you mention MvC. I'm not overly familiar, but I do know it interprets her as a stance character where you switch between the Reflector, the Rosary, and the Glaive.

I... don't know if I agree with this decision in the context of MvC, and I would especially disagree with doing the same thing for Smash. We had a discussion on the Amaterasu thread about this recently. Yes, there are multiple types of weapon in Okami, but I don't understand looking at the game and deciding that's the cool thing that needs to be the major focus of the moveset as opposed to... I don't know, the Celestial Brush?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Since obviously Amaterasu wouldn't freeze or slow time to ink over the place with her celestial brush, I think it'd make sense to just have her instaink with special and (maybe) smash moves. Otherwise I am not entirely certain of the direction I'd take with her moveset.
I'd take MvC's approach, she wouldn't need to actually use the brush in real time but rather have the move come out anyway, like Power Slash becoming a small charm that appears in front of Ammy, though in MvC, Ammy had weapon switching as her main gimmick iirc

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, Bayonetta can give us some precedent of how to implement time-related tomfoolery, since Witch Time doesn't exactly work the way it does in Smash as opposed to her games. Perhaps there could be a "Celestial Scroll" command grab where if anyone is caught inside, you could use certain Celestial Brush techniques to your advantage? That's what I'm thinking.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Personally, I think you kind of have to go all-in on the Celestial Brush. The cool thing about the Brush is that it takes something like items in Zelda, where you would have to dig through a pause screen to get them, and turns them all into something you can do in two seconds. Going "power slash side-B, cherry bomb neutral-B, vine up-B" with it is therefore... interminably lame,

Here, try this on for size:

Amaterasu is an aggressive, combo-oriented fighter. She's noticeably more agile on the ground than in the air, though not at all to Little Mac levels.

Her moves see her using the three types of Divine Instrument: a Reflector (a shield that flies like a close-range boomerang), a Rosary (a chain of beads she uses as a whip), and a Glaive (a glaive). The specific weapons of each type will actually change with each alt costume. After you perform a move with a certain weapon, that weapon will remain on her back until she uses another one, similar to how Pit works.

-- NEUTRAL SPECIAL: CELESTIAL BRUSH --

Upon hitting the B button, you'll lose control of Amaterasu, and instead control a brush with cursor-like movement. By holding A, you can draw on the screen. If you draw one of many specific patterns, you'll cause something to happen that depends on the pattern (called a Celestial Brush Technique). We'll go over all the CBTs... er, maybe we shouldn't call them that. We'll go over all the CB techniques later, but there's some details of this move I want to go over.

Above Ammy's damage meter are three ink pots. These serve as a cooldown for her Celestial Brush techniques. Each technique will expend one to three pots, which Ammy will gradually recover over time.

Earlier, I stated that you'll lose control of Amaterasu, but what exactly does that entail? Well, in Ōkami, time stopped completely while using the Brush, but that'd be crazy in a fighting game. Here, Amaterasu goes into slow-motion and sepia tone while using the Brush. If you use it in the middle of an attack, she'll still complete the move while you're drawing.

I went into this with the philosophy that if the Brush can do it in Ōkami, it'll do something in this game. I don't want Ōkami fans to have to remember which techniques are included. They should just do them the same way they've been doing 'em, even if they don't work the same way. The full list of techniques are:

• SUNRISE: Draw a circle in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The sun will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's defense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • REJUVENATION: Fill in a missing or destroyed part of the stage. Costs 1 pot of ink. The missing element will come back. Works on basically any stage where things go away.
  • POWER SLASH: Draw a horizontal line across at least one damageable object. Costs 1 pot of ink. This creates a slashing attack with high knockback. It's one of your go-to moves, and is good for ending canvas combos.
  • BLOOM: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle around a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. For about twelve seconds, that character's speed will be increased.
  • TREE SEED: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw dots on the ground. Costs 1 pot of ink. They'll sprout into trees that knock enemies upward, and stick around as brief (but easily-destroyed) walls.
  • WILDFLOWER: Sub-technique of Bloom, a sub-technique of Greensprout. Scribble on the ground. Costs 0 pots of ink. Wildflowers will sprout. Doesn't actually do anything.
  • WATER LILY: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a circle on the water. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a temporary platform on top of the water.
  • VINE: Sub-technique of Greensprout. Draw a line from a ledge to a character. Costs 2 pots of ink. That character will be pulled toward the ledge by a vine.
  • CHERRY BOMB: Draw a circle with a line coming out of the top. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a bomb that rolls around. Attacking it will cause it to fly around like a crate. It will eventually explode. Unlike in Ōkami, it'll hurt Ammy.
  • WATERSPOUT: Draw a line from water or water-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting water counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The water will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • DELUGE: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw two vertical lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates rain that causes a minor downward windbox, harming recovery attempts. Also starts the rain on Distant Planet.
  • FOUNTAIN: Sub-technique of Waterspout. Draw a swirl around a Mermaid Spring. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CRESCENT: Draw a curved arc in the sky. Costs 2 pots of ink. The moon will remain in the sky for about twelve seconds. While it's there, all character's offense is increased. This will also change the time of day on Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Gaur Plain, Minecraft World, Smashville, and Town and City.
  • GALESTORM: Draw a swirling loop or spiral. Costs 1 pot of ink. Creates a gust of wind in the direction and location of the brushstroke (spirals count as up). This makes a windbox that can aid or harm recoveries.
  • WHIRLWIND: Sub-technique of Galestorm. Draw three horizontal lines. Costs 2 pots of ink. Creates a small tornado around Amaterasu, which sends opponents up and does significant damage. Drawing the lines longer will make the attack more powerful but shorter.
  • INFERNO: Draw a line from fire or fire-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting fire counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The fire will move along the path you drew, and will drag enemies along it if it hits them (though it'll always do the same amount of damage and end by knocking them at the same angle). Similar to Waterspout, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard.
  • FIREBURST: Sub-technique of Inferno. Draw a lemniscate (∞). Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons a big ball of fire that does significant damage.
  • VEIL OF MIST: Draw two horizontal lines. Costs all 3 pots of ink. Slows down time for two seconds. Because of its cost, you can't use the Celestial Brush during this time.
  • MIST WARP: Sub-technique of Veil of Mist. Draw an X on an Ultimate Origin Mirror. It's too bad there aren't any of those in the game...
  • CATWALK: Scribble on a wall. Costs 1 pot of ink. For about 12 seconds, Amaterasu becomes able to cling to that wall like Sheik (among others) can. Probably not that useful.
  • THUNDERSTORM: Draw a line from electricity or electricity-based hitboxes. Only gameplay-effecting electricity counts. Costs 1 pot of ink. The electricity will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • THUNDERBOLT: Sub-technique of Thunderstorm. Draw a vertical zigzag. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons significantly-damaging lighting.
  • BLIZZARD: Draw a line from ice or ice-based hitboxes. Only damaging ice or frozen opponents count. Costs 1 pot of ink. The ice will move along the path you drew, dealing damage to foes it hits. Powerful, but tricky to make work. Similar to Waterspout, Inferno, and Blizzard.
  • ICESTORM: Sub-technique of Blizzard. Draw an X with a line through it. Costs 2 pots of ink. Summons damaging, freezing shards of ice.

Wow, that's a lot!

Anyway, if there's only one Ammy in a match, the ink is black and the effect on Ammy is sepia-toned, like in Ōkami. If there's multiple, however, these effects will instead match the player color. P1 gets red ink, P2 gets blue, P3 gets yellow, P4 gets green, et cetera. This is just a visibility thing.

Oh, yeah! Since this is all a neutral special, Kirby can do all this stuff too! His ink is a pale rainbow color, and his copy hat gives him the coloration and markings of a Celestial Brush God.

-- SIDE SPECIAL: TSUMUGARI --

Compared to her monstrously complicated neutral special, her other specials are quite simple. She uses her Glaive (Tsumugari in her default costume) for a chargeable dash attack. In the air, she actually rides Tsumugari downward at an angle! The charge will continue while using the Celestial Brush, so you can use Icestorm (for example) to keep your opponent busy while you charge it.

-- UP SPECIAL: DEVOUT BEADS --

This move is an eight-directional recovery move that uses Amaterasu's Rosary (the Devout Beads in her default costume). It's a tether recovery, but it's actually not very effective - it's more useful as an attack than anything. Ammy's better off using Vine if she can spare the ink.

-- DOWN SPECIAL: DIVINE RETRIBUTION --

For this move, Ammy spins her Reflector (Divine Retribution in her default costume) in front of her. If an attack or projectile hits it, there'll be a great deal of freeze frames before Ammy retaliates or reflects it respectively. Yes, this is a counter move, don't kill me.

However, this move serves a greater purpose than just being "the thing the Reflector does". Waterspout, Inferno, Thunderstorm, and Blizzard require you to use specific elemental hitboxes. And yes, they're all basically identical to effectively give the same attack more things to activate it with, but even so, how are you supposed to catch Roy's sword or a Water Shuriken with your brush? That's where this move comes in. You can use the large amount of freeze frames on this attack to activate the Celestial Brush and draw a line from whatever it is that hit you.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I mean, Bayonetta can give us some precedent of how to implement time-related tomfoolery, since Witch Time doesn't exactly work the way it does in Smash as opposed to her games. Perhaps there could be a "Celestial Scroll" command grab where if anyone is caught inside, you could use certain Celestial Brush techniques to your advantage? That's what I'm thinking.
Maybe that could work. I feel like that celestial brush would have to be Amaterasu's gimmick, even if she can't always use it, so the Celestial Scroll command grab idea would allow for a brief excuse to slow time down so Amaterasu can quickly use a brush technique.

Technomage

Smash Champion
10 noms on Scorpion.

Anyways, onto Ammy talk: Is it possible to combine her MvC3 moveset with the Celestial Paintbrush gimmick in a way that works?

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been fascinated with the idea of quadrupedal playable characters in games, particularly fighting games, for a while. I think the only ones Smash has are Ivysaur and Duck Hunt?

Also, I'm familiar with (and really like) "The Sun Rises"/"Rising Sun" (not sure which is the official title, but are there any other good Okami songs?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
On the note of Assists: what could be a fun Okami assist if Ammy was playable? The series looks like it's got a pretty fun cast so I'm interested.

Noms: Axel Stone x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
On the note of Assists: what could be a fun Okami assist if Ammy was playable? The series looks like it's got a pretty fun cast so I'm interested.

Noms: Axel Stone x5
Susano seems like the best option to me as he'd showcase one of the more memorable characters, maybe have his strikes do little damage but do insane hitstun like how Ammy had to Power Slash to help him

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
So, we haven't talked stages for Ammy yet. I have an idea...

Moon Cave

Screenshot 2021-07-04 150943.png

Specifically, this stage is based on the room in the Moon Cave where you fight Orochi. Well, actually, maybe it's more accurate to say the stage is based on the fight against Orochi.

Okay, okay, it's even more accurate to say that the stage is Orochi.

Orochi_ConceptArt.png

See that platform on Orochi's back? The one with the bell? That's the stage you'll be fighting on. It floats above the floor of the Moon Cave, which isn't onscreen and can't be landed on. Orochi's heads are wrapped around it. The majority of the time, his heads are extended off the bottom of the screen, presumably drinking sake or something.

(Note that, to look good on a 2D plane, Orochi's heads aren't arranged in the 8-spoked way they are in his boss fight in Ōkami, but rather with four heads on each side, like in the art for True Orochi.)

TrueOrochi.png

Occasionally, one or more of Orochi's heads will rise up and cause a stage hazard. If you attack the head enough, it'll get knocked out and slump off the bottom of the screen again. In this manner, Orochi's less like a stage boss and more like various hazards that you can turn off mid-fight by punching them.

Each of Orochi's heads is associated with a different element and causes a different hazard that covers a different area of the stage. From left to right:
  • Orochi's fire head is its main head. It shoots fireballs directly at the stage. When they hit the ground, they create a vertical plume of fire that lingers for a little bit.
  • Orochi's earth head makes the questionable decision of slamming its head onto the stage. This buries anyone hit by its head and causes anyone standing on the stage to trip. If you dodge this attack and your opponent doesn't, you're in a pretty good position.
  • Orochi's water head is unusual, as it breathes out enough water to flood the area below the stage. You can swim in the water, so it makes KOs off the bottom much more difficult while it's active. On the other hand, once it's flooded the room, the water head lays down on the water, creating a platform on the left side of the stage, from which it's easier to KO opponents off of the left side. KOing this head drains the water.
  • Orochi's poison head alternates between breathing poison on the left and right halves of the stage. The poison doesn't do knockback, but fighters will gradually take damage if they remain within it.
  • Orochi's perpetually-confused lightning head creates vertical thunderbolts, but can't ever hit the stage. Still, it makes it quite dangerous to go offstage; they're still roughly correct, after all.
  • Orochi's wind head alternates between blowing fighters toward the left of the screen or sucking them toward the right. Depending on which side you're on and what the head is doing, this can help or hinder KOs and recoveries.
  • Orochi's darkness head spits out three purple Konohana Blossoms, which arrange themselves similarly to Battlefield and act as semisolid platforms. Standing on one of these for too long will cause it to close on you and spit you out, inflicting you with the same curse status Eiha does. The cursed Konohana Blossoms disappear when the darkness head is KOed.
  • Orochi's light head shoots beams of light horizontally either high or low. It has to charge up, and waits a while between each beam, but it can still be a bit of a menace.
At the start of a match, only one head will show up at a time. As the match goes on, you'll start seeing two at once, maybe even three. If you're playing an extremely long match, even more heads will start showing up simultaneously. Finally, forty seconds from the end of the match, all eight heads will come up and start wreaking havoc.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Alright I've got an odd angle to discuss. First of all, heck yeah Ammy should be in Smash. She'd have a dope moveset and as others have pointed out, a quadrupedal fighter would be very unique. Her stage would be beautiful, the music would be sick, and after the HD remake I think she's pretty well-known in gaming.

Another small note is that the stage HAS to be Kamiki Village. I don't usually think about Smash when I play other video games, but I remember when I first walked into Kamiki Village and saw all the platforms in the trees with the wonderful sunny backdrop I thought "This would make a dope Smash stage." The wooden platforms just seem made for Smash's gameplay and the fact that it's the first location in the game makes it pretty iconic.

onto my main thing... Years ago I was once a proponent of Nintendog in Smash. Nintendogs was a game I played religiously on my DS back in the mid-00s, and it sold incredibly well so I figured it was deserving of a spot. However when I suggested the idea to people, time and time again they totally disagreed because Nintendog is just a realistic dog. It would be strange to beat up on a normal dog in a fighting game like that. I kinda agree, so now I've changed my mind to be happy with one of my fav DS games getting a stage and an Assist Trophy (wish it had more music instead of the same song three times tho)
My point here is Amaterasu is also a normal dog. She's a bit more stylized because of the black outline and the fiery particle effects, but really think about her design for a sec. She doesn't have expressive anime eyes, her mouth is filled with normal wolf teeth that don't really smile or anything, and she has paws without a semblance of a thumb. She's not like some furry or otherwise anthropomorphized. She's a very cool-looking wolf, but still a wolf. Do you guys think that would at all get in the way of her chances in Smash? Would Nintendo find that just a wee too risky? Honestly I don't really think so, especially since they allowed the Duck Hunt dog to have realistic whines when they get hit. But since I went through it with Nintendog in the past I wanted to hear your opinions on it.

(Oh and also put my 5 noms to Black Mage pls)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright I've got an odd angle to discuss. First of all, heck yeah Ammy should be in Smash. She'd have a dope moveset and as others have pointed out, a quadrupedal fighter would be very unique. Her stage would be beautiful, the music would be sick, and after the HD remake I think she's pretty well-known in gaming.

Another small note is that the stage HAS to be Kamiki Village. I don't usually think about Smash when I play other video games, but I remember when I first walked into Kamiki Village and saw all the platforms in the trees with the wonderful sunny backdrop I thought "This would make a dope Smash stage." The wooden platforms just seem made for Smash's gameplay and the fact that it's the first location in the game makes it pretty iconic.

onto my main thing... Years ago I was once a proponent of Nintendog in Smash. Nintendogs was a game I played religiously on my DS back in the mid-00s, and it sold incredibly well so I figured it was deserving of a spot. However when I suggested the idea to people, time and time again they totally disagreed because Nintendog is just a realistic dog. It would be strange to beat up on a normal dog in a fighting game like that. I kinda agree, so now I've changed my mind to be happy with one of my fav DS games getting a stage and an Assist Trophy (wish it had more music instead of the same song three times tho)
My point here is Amaterasu is also a normal dog. She's a bit more stylized because of the black outline and the fiery particle effects, but really think about her design for a sec. She doesn't have expressive anime eyes, her mouth is filled with normal wolf teeth that don't really smile or anything, and she has paws without a semblance of a thumb. She's not like some furry or otherwise anthropomorphized. She's a very cool-looking wolf, but still a wolf. Do you guys think that would at all get in the way of her chances in Smash? Would Nintendo find that just a wee too risky? Honestly I don't really think so, especially since they allowed the Duck Hunt dog to have realistic whines when they get hit. But since I went through it with Nintendog in the past I wanted to hear your opinions on it.

I mean, we have a realistic military man and an unnervingly-photorealistic Xenomorph-esque dragon. A somewhat stylized wolf shouldn't be much of an issue.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I mean, we have a realistic military man and an unnervingly-photorealistic Xenomorph-esque dragon. A somewhat stylized wolf shouldn't be much of an issue.
No those are fine cuz it's okay to beat the snot out of humans in video games, realistic or not. I'm askin if it's different to beat up a dog.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No those are fine cuz it's okay to beat the snot out of humans in video games, realistic or not. I'm askin if it's different to beat up a dog.
Technically speaking, she's a wolf. And either way, I feel like Nintendo isn't all that concerned about violence. We've gotten guns and alarmingly brutal animations in Ultimate, and that kinda stuff would've been considered unthinkable back in the Brawl days. If a character and their game is decently popular, I feel like Nintendo wouldn't have any reservations.

And either way, this thread is more about what it'd be like if a character got in, not about how likely that scenario is, so :drshrug:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Technically speaking, she's a wolf. And either way, I feel like Nintendo isn't all that concerned about violence. We've gotten guns and alarmingly brutal animations in Ultimate, and that kinda stuff would've been considered unthinkable back in the Brawl days. If a character and their game is decently popular, I feel like Nintendo wouldn't have any reservations.

And either way, this thread is more about what it'd be like if a character got in, not about how likely that scenario is, so :drshrug:
🤔 yeah fair enough, I guess if it was an issue it would have stopped Joker's gun from getting in. idk guess I just wanted to see if the Nintendog thing would repeat.

That said I do have one more point of discussion I forgot. Ōkami obviously has a very famous and distinct art style. How much of that do you think would be kept in Smash? Like would they still have the black outline on Ammy/the stage? Or the lack of shading entirely? I wonder what a middle ground between Ōkami and Smash's artstyle would be.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
🤔 yeah fair enough, I guess if it was an issue it would have stopped Joker's gun from getting in. idk guess I just wanted to see if the Nintendog thing would repeat.

That said I do have one more point of discussion I forgot. Ōkami obviously has a very famous and distinct art style. How much of that do you think would be kept in Smash? Like would they still have the black outline on Ammy/the stage? Or the lack of shading entirely? I wonder what a middle ground between Ōkami and Smash's artstyle would be.
Eep, I don't know if I want to imagine Ammy without an outline. I think the outline really holds the design together by balancing out all the white.

Considering the black gradient on her tail, you might be able to get away with interpreting the outline as some, like, aura of ink or something.

I think the stage would also need an outline, but maybe you could just give it to everyone when you go there. I mean, Boxing Ring has shading changes on it in the same way.

amageish

Smash Master
I think the stage would also need an outline, but maybe you could just give it to everyone when you go there. I mean, Boxing Ring has shading changes on it in the same way.
Oooh, everyone having an outline on an Okami stage would be swell to see. Throwback to the Smash 3DS days lol.

Do you think we'd get other Okami Mii Costumes? Also, how much content from Okamiden do people think we'd get?

Jill x 10, Monika x 5

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oooh, everyone having an outline on an Okami stage would be swell to see. Throwback to the Smash 3DS days lol.

Do you think we'd get other Okami Mii Costumes? Also, how much content from Okamiden do people think we'd get?
Aside from what I've described already and what I've read already, the only other thing I distinctly remember about Okami was the old lady that did BASICALLY the Shun Goku Satsu. How hilarious would that be if she were a Mii Brawler costume?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hrm, Okami is one of those games I've played and beaten but have done so many years ago and unfortunately don't remember much about.

One thing I do remember is the final boss battle. IIRC the final boss does transform itself into a giant hand, so having Master hand be Amataratsu's last boss in her classic mode would make perfect sense.

And of course they should have this playing as you fight Master Hand:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

She's far too stylized for this to be a concern, especially with the tufts of fur that look like flames all over her limbs and tail

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've only played about an hour of Okami but I think Amaterasu would make for a really cool Smash character. We don't have many quadrapedal fighters yet and both Duck Hunt and Ivysaur are pretty cartoony. Amaterasu would be a pretty unique case with much more realistic proportions and is very stylish.

What kinds of music would you like to see if Amaterasu makes it in?

x10 Bill & Lance

Top Bottom