• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think we'd need something combo-focused, but balance sounds very hard for it... Maybe have his neutrals work like 10-Hit-Combo, with the option to cancel out of the combo into a powered-up special attack, representing the strong attacks?

If we're assuming it's as a DLC character, then probably not realistically. I do like the idea of introducing "Crossover Songs" that can be played on multiple franchises stages though... I also find it kind of weird HW had no content in Smash on launch and it is still only AoC with spirits. Heck, Sophia means P5S has more spirits then the original HW lol.
Yeah that’s pretty much the idea I had for his move set as well. I feel like we should try to incorporate his horse, Red Hare, as well as his archery skills somewhere in his move set. I was thinking he could charge across the stage on Red Hare as his forward special, kind of like Wario’s motorcycle. What do you guys think the best ways to fit these in would be?

amageish

Smash Master
You have unlocked a new weapon: The Noms List.

50+ noms
Monika - x135
Jill Stingray - x100
Elma - x88
Sir Arthur - x85
Scorpion - x83
Hat Kid - x75
Bill & Lance - x75

Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Laharl - x65
Warframe rep - x60

26-50 noms
Saber - x50
Estelle Bright - x45
Endo Mamoru - x45
Heavy - x45
Astral Chain rep - x45
2B - x40
Ryza - x35
Bubsy - x35
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x35
Shovel Knight - x35
Wilfre* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Axel Stone - x30
Octoling - x30

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Klonoa - x25
Gordon Freeman - x25
Trauma Center Content - x22
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Sly Cooper - x18

5-10 noms
Madeleine - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Ori - x5
Ezio - x5
Ichiban - x5
Chibi-Robo - x5
9-volt - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Darkest Dungeon Content - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

15x Officer Howard
Does this overlap with "Astral Chain rep" in your mind, or should I count this separately from that?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Man, I'm late again (darn you, timezones difference!) I have a lot to say about Lu Bu and Dynasty Warriors since I openly support them but it seems all the question has been answered 😔

I need a favor that if the next day comes someone needs to @ me since I'm the one who keep pushing the noms and I don't want to miss it

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How does Lu Bu typically fight? I know he's supposed to be an absolute monster on the battlefield but what's his fighting style? I ask because I think a Musou character would primarily focus on crowd control, being able to throw out far reaching moves that cover a lot of area, think like Byleth's side b instead of their side smash, would this be fitting?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How does Lu Bu typically fight? I know he's supposed to be an absolute monster on the battlefield but what's his fighting style? I ask because I think a Musou character would primarily focus on crowd control, being able to throw out far reaching moves that cover a lot of area, think like Byleth's side b instead of their side smash, would this be fitting?
This video covers his moveset pretty well:

This one shows off a bit of gameplay from each of his appearances:

Basically, Warriors games have two attack buttons, a strong and a weak attack. The gameplay primarily consists of chaining together weak attacks and using the strong attack to finish the combo. Depending on where in the chain you use the strong attack, the character will perform a different combo finisher. Lu Bu’s moves mostly consist of powerful area attacks but one of his combo finishers is pretty much Ganondorf’s Flame Choke. On top of his basic moveset, Lu Bu is famous for his legendary horse, Red Hare, as well as his archery skills.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I tried to type something clever here, but either it was a blunt reference to the only thing I know about the series, or it was Romance of the Three Kingnoms, and both of those were terrible.

Technomage x5 (10 Total)
Flyboy x5 (10 Total)
GolisoPower x5 (10 Total)
Gengar84 x10 (15 Total)
Commander_Alph x5 (10 Total)
Cutie Gwen x5 (10 Total)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you think it would be a good idea to use inspiration from the fighting game in Gran’s moveset or would you prefer to stick with the mobile JRPG for the source material?

x15 for Astral Chain rep

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, lemme ask everyone familiar with GranBlue Fantasy: what's preventing Gran and Djeeta from being unique characters individually, since both versions are effectively different characters with different movesets in GranBlue Fantasy VS? I know they're effectively the same character, but ArkSys seems to have gone out of their way to be more unique from each other. What's to potentially make Sakurai make Djeeta or Gran an alt costume? I mean, Technomage probably answered this already, but I was just curious about this.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
So, lemme ask everyone familiar with GranBlue Fantasy: what's preventing Gran and Djeeta from being unique characters individually, since both versions are effectively different characters with different movesets in GranBlue Fantasy VS? I know they're effectively the same character, but ArkSys seems to have gone out of their way to be more unique from each other. What's to potentially make Sakurai make Djeeta or Gran an alt costume? I mean, Technomage probably answered this already, but I was just curious about this.
I don't know anything about Granblue, but I know enough about how the ArcSys thing works.

I think it mostly has to do with how ArcSys doesn't do costumes because they are, allegedly, as much work as making another character. I presume that's why they gave Djeeta the Ken treatment.

Technomage

Smash Champion
What's to potentially make Sakurai make Djeeta or Gran an alt costume? I mean, Technomage probably answered this already, but I was just curious about this.
You know, I don't actually recall answering that question; then again, I most likely just forgot about it. :drshrug:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I only learned a few things about Granblue Fantasy when I was taking a look at the Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo event that ran a few months ago, and I can already assume that the Grancypher would be a good stage.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do you think it would be a good idea to use inspiration from the fighting game in Gran’s moveset or would you prefer to stick with the mobile JRPG for the source material?

x15 for Astral Chain rep
I don't really know much about either, but I at least GBFV just gave him game-breaking boots and I think it'd be funny to see all the Timbs memes cross over to Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think one thing that would be great from GranBlue Fantasy is the music. I also would love to see spirits of Ladiva, Lowain, Katarina, etc. I have friends who are super into GranBlue and tell me the lore is amazing. The music, of course, is Nobuo Uematsu, and that is a winner.

Moveset-wise I do like how they work in the fighting game...I'd love to see people be even more creative in adapting a mobile game moveset to Smash though.

(I think I'm doing this right)

Ichiban x5 (or 10? I'm not sure how many I get - maximum though, I wanna talk about Ichiban some day dammit!)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think one thing that would be great from GranBlue Fantasy is the music. I also would love to see spirits of Ladiva, Lowain, Katarina, etc. I have friends who are super into GranBlue and tell me the lore is amazing. The music, of course, is Nobuo Uematsu, and that is a winner.
Going on the topic of music, THIS HAS TO BE IN HERE.

amageish

Smash Master
My Granblue knowledge kind of begins and ends with the fighting game. I am interested in learning more, but I just... have finite hours in the day...

So, let's go with our standard gacha question: That's a lot of characters! Who are we narrowing down to for the spirit set?

Ichiban x5 (or 10? I'm not sure how many I get - maximum though, I wanna talk about Ichiban some day dammit!)
You currently have ten, as ahemtoday indicated. Bonus noms are gained by asking questions and making notable suggestions about how a character would work.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thinking about who gets into Smash as Spirits coming with Gran/Djeeta, I think we could probably stick with characters you gain in the story. If there is a story mode. Otherwise, we could just stick with the more popular characters (Soriz, Narmaya, Vaseraga, Lowain, etc.) for a Spirit Board.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Sorry for the late reply but essentially they are basically no different to each other in the regular game other than a genderswap basically everything that Gran do Djeeta could do the same, basically they are Robin and Corrin. If you look at their ability even in the fighting game they are all the same with different animation so safe to say that alt costume is the better choice. Also, Arcsys barely had anything to do with Cygames other than making the spin-off so I don't recommend Arcsys as the voice of reason here.

My Granblue knowledge kind of begins and ends with the fighting game. I am interested in learning more, but I just... have finite hours in the day...

So, let's go with our standard gacha question: That's a lot of characters! Who are we narrowing down to for the spirit set?
Thinking about who gets into Smash as Spirits coming with Gran/Djeeta, I think we could probably stick with characters you gain in the story. If there is a story mode. Otherwise, we could just stick with the more popular characters (Soriz, Narmaya, Vaseraga, Lowain, etc.) for a Spirit Board.
Uh huh, I think I could safely say that everyone knowledge of the series ends with the fighting game so let me do a brief rundown.

In terms of importance to the plot in the original game basically half of them from GBVS is irrelevant, somebody like Katalina and Charlotta is important because they have connections to the Empire, for example.

To make it easy I actually made a spirit board right here:

I'm going to explain the ones that you probably don't know, others like Cagliostro, Belial, and Eternal Defenders (with the inclusion of Uno and Seox) you could explain in yourself.

• Rackam, Io, Eugene, Rosetta
    • 4 of them are all your party member in the original game, they are prominently appear in various artwork and even in the soon to be released Granblue Fantasy ReLink game​
  • Sierokarte
    • Basically your in-game shop keeper, she sometimes involved with the plot while other times she gave you side missions​
  • Black Knight & Orchis
    • Now this is interesting, for Black Knight she (yes, it's a female) is a part of group of 7 powerful knight, throughout the story she basically torment you with various challenges to prove your worth and is the leader of the Erste Empire army that try to capture Lyria. Orchis is a girl that always right besides Black Knight wherever she goes, she essentially has the same power as Lyria but never show it to everyone and both suffer a memory loss, during the story she actually befriended Lyria and to an extent the whole group but forcefully taken away by Black Knight.​
  • The Dragon Knights
    • While you might already know Lancelot and Percival you probably didn't realize that they are part of group of 4 people. One being Vane, the muscular orange guy wielding an axe and is the childhood friend of Lancelot, the other being Siegfried who's is a former knight that got exiled after being framed from the wrong doing of the Feendrache Kingdom. 4 of them are apart of the Royal Knight and has since been the most popular character in there series, appearing together and even sung a song.​
  • Drang (and to an extent Sturm)
    • This duo, although only Drang appeared in the spirit is a reoccurring character in the story, they're supposedly tasked to track down Lyria but sometimes help the group too while they are in trouble every time both of you crosses path.​
  • Vaseraga (Earth)
    • Another interesting character, Granblue has the tendency of having the same version of character but called them "Dark" or "Water" variation (in-game example of this from Versus is Yuel who uses her 'Yuel (Water)' version instead of regular Yuel called 'Yuel' which focuses more on fire. While Vaseraga in versus is his regular version from the mobile game his Earth variation is him at his weakest point where he is unable to save his crew of Skyfarer before joining Society where he met Zeta while also heavily wounded with his signature weapon lost or, worse case scenario shatter into oblivion and replaced with a far more weaker scythe made by the local weaponsmith who is his biggest fan.​

Now my question, you might know that sometimes in the past that Granblue Fantasy is being speculated, but why out of all characters is Katalina? This probably my most hated thing I could see here since it gives off a false information and for the longest time try to convince them otherwise. Now what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gran and Djeeta are both the protag so it makes sense to keep them as alts like with almost every other selfinsert who's gender isn't defined. My understanding is that in side materials in which both exist, Cygames likes characterizing Djeeta as a whale who put so much money in the game that she has access to a lot more stuff
Now my question, you might know that sometimes in the past that Granblue Fantasy is being speculated, but why out of all characters is Katalina? This probably my most hated thing I could see here since it gives off a false information and for the longest time try to convince them otherwise. Now what are your thoughts?
Oh that's simple, a fake leak which seemed credible said Katalina would be in the game and as that was the first name a bunch of people heard in regards to Granblue, they assumed she's the protag

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Gran and Djeeta are both the protag so it makes sense to keep them as alts like with almost every other selfinsert who's gender isn't defined. My understanding is that in side materials in which both exist, Cygames likes characterizing Djeeta as a whale who put so much money in the game that she has access to a lot more stuff
This troupe isn't that far off, it's rare to see an avatar character that isn't exclusively male or female Fate/Grand Order is a few example of having genderbend option with some side material depicting Female Ritsuka (usually refer to as Gudako) to be more comedic that basically represent the people who play the game for the grinding and collecting than Male Ritsuka (refer to as Gudako) who is more serious about his mission.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Oh that's simple, a fake leak which seemed credible said Katalina would be in the game and as that was the first name a bunch of people heard in regards to Granblue, they assumed she's the protag
To add to this, in Granblue Versus, Gran's big move is basically summoning Proto Bahamut with Lyria, which is something the two do all the time for "Big, flashy story moment" in the main plot.

Djeeta does it too, but in her moveset, she's shown to constantly be using the "10 Revenant Weapons", which are weapons tied almost exclusively to the game's PVP mode, and give you access to the 10 strongest, entirely F2P characters in the game(The Eternals). And considering she has all 10 of them, she's a giga-ultra whale/grinder compared to Gran who basically started playing like last week.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Now, I haven't played Granblue Fantasy, but the class change mechanic is intriguing enough to me to be interested in this. Would Gran/Djeeta work with that in mind as their gimmick?
The class change mechanic is pretty interesting, usually there are 4 tier for each classes and an extra class that doesn't fall under neither of those and only has 1 tier, but you have to master those specific class in order to unlock the next one, it doesn't lock you out to just 1 class to upgrade as you could change to the other anytime after you spent your in-game money to unlock them of course not to mention some of them needed you to master 3 classes to unlock.

The default class of Gran/Djeeta is Fighter with their upgraded class being Warrior (Row ll), Weapon Master (Row lll) and Berserker (Row lV). There's like a total of 66 Classes and I haven't even mentioned their outfit which some of them granted new ability and weapon.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Also, I'm the biggest Granblue stan on this website no doubt, been playing for 5+ years.

If any y'all got any questions in need of answering, feel free, lol
Didn't know you play Granblue, I thought I'm the only one that plays it. I'm mostly a casual, usually just leveling up my character as the story progresses and sometimes roll for a new one and play the event, I'm still at Rosetta section of the story and I don't wanna know how far you have been in terms of chapter.

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't know you play Granblue, I thought I'm the only one that plays it. I'm mostly a casual, usually just leveling up my character as the story progresses and sometimes roll for a new one and play the event, I'm still at Rosetta section of the story and I don't wanna know how far you have been in terms of chapter.
I envy you.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I envy you.
Lol, I haven't even join a group yet, haven't done pvp yet other than participate on Raid Boss and it took me ages to realize that my sparks turns into stones if the event ends, I gotta say I'm usually not a fan of gacha but GBF I like the most.

Anyway what is the perfect route for their Classic Mode? They're pretty generic (from the outside).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Lol, I haven't even join a group yet, haven't done pvp yet other than participate on Raid Boss and it took me ages to realize that my sparks turns into stones if the event ends, I gotta say I'm usually not a fan of gacha but GBF I like the most.

Anyway what is the perfect route for their Classic Mode? They're pretty generic (from the outside).
I'd just keep it simple and have the classic mode have stand ins for the main story crew members and the order in which you recruit them, so like:

Lucina(Katalina) > Rackam(Snake) > Io(Isabelle? Idk) > Eugen(idk) > Rosetta(Ivysaur) > with Rathalos as an end boss to stand in for Bahamut.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd just keep it simple and have the classic mode have stand ins for the main story crew members and the order in which you recruit them, so like:

Lucina(Katalina) > Rackam(Snake) > Io(Isabelle? Idk) > Eugen(idk) > Rosetta(Ivysaur) > with Rathalos as an end boss to stand in for Bahamut.
I don't know that much about GBF, but I think a sky themed classic mode would also fit them. So, it would be all flying stages and characters like Pit or Rosalina.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Forgot to actually send this but I actually made a stock Icon for both of them.
Djeeta Gran Ultimate Stock Icon lines_20210606134231.png

The rest of the recolor I actually plan to uploaded on Pinterest since it's a pain in the butt to arrange them and I haven't did all of them, but this is my idea in the form of text, the reference is mostly based on their other classes and outfit:​
  1. Default (Male)​
  2. Default (Female)​
  3. Malevolent Alter Ego (Male)​
  4. Alter Ego Conjurer (Female)​
  5. Conqueror of the Eternals (Male)​
  6. Scrapped ReLink protagonist, Blue (Female)​
  7. Harpist (Male)​
  8. Hermit (Female)​

Another question what is the perfect candidate for a Mii Costume? De all know we can't have Granblue without the Vyrn.. Suit.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know that much about GBF, but I think a sky themed classic mode would also fit them. So, it would be all flying stages and characters like Pit or Rosalina.
The funny thing about the Sky is, for as much as it's emphasized, like, 90% of all story telling and events takes place on a singular island or on the deck of the Grandcypher(The main sky ship), and usually, a character falling is a very, very bad deal.

The sky is basically akin to the ocean, with a huge difference.

Namely, and I'm going to spoiler-tag this since it deals with a lot of late-story stuff, but:

There IS a ground down there, and honestly, there's probably a whole-ass planet, but the planet itself and the sky realm are cut off by a sea of clouds, not unlike Skyward Sword.

What lives down there? The original race of beings that lived in this world before Bahamut came in from Rage of Bahamut, another Cygames game, which is MUCH older than Granblue Fantasy, and basically said, "Yo, this is my world now." Yes, the lore is quite literally Bahamut ****ed off from another game and said "Imma make my own world."

Top Bottom