• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It seems like the thread still has a bit of activity, so I'll let BWD's day go on a bit longer. We'll transition to the nomming period sometime tomorrow; That way, I can set a consistent schedule of Wake Up -> Nomming Period -> Next Day.

Pillow

Smash Lord
While we're on the topping of nominations, this short interim period between discussions feels kind of awkward to me. Imo we should change it so people should just throw noms in for their first post whenever a new day starts. I feel like it's pretty easy to miss the nomination window otherwise.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While we're on the topping of nominations, this short interim period between discussions feels kind of awkward to me. Imo we should change it so people should just throw noms in for their first post whenever a new day starts. I feel like it's pretty easy to miss the nomination window otherwise.
Hmm... Good idea. Let's test that out tomorrow.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a big fan of the Kirby series and I’d be happy with Bandana Dee’s inclusion even though he isn’t even though he isn’t my most wanted character from the series. My dream character from Kirby has always been Bugzzy. Something about a purple wrestling stag beetle just screams awesome to me. Unfortunately, I doubt he is ever going to happen so Dee is cool too.

My question (that may have already been asked) is, if we do get Bandana Dee, who would you like to see if we somehow got any new assist trophies along with him?

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
This thread seems interesting, I hope we can get some more discussion on more obscure characters for once, unlike the general apathy of RTC.

So I'm not fully sure how this works, but I guess I'll try.
Question for Bandana Dee supporters. Why Bandana Dee over someone like Dark Matter or Magolor?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
This thread seems interesting, I hope we can get some more discussion on more obscure characters for once, unlike the general apathy of RTC.

Question for Bandana Dee supporters. Why Bandana Dee over someone like Dark Matter or Magolor?
Several reasons.

Bandana Dee is considered the fourth "main character" after Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, so a lot of fans want him to "complete the group."

Bandana Dee is more recurring than pretty much any other prominent Kirby character aside from the other protagonists (Magolor does come close, though).

Bandana Dee wielding a spear speaks to people who want more variety in weapons among Smash fighters (thus far, the only spear wielder we have is Byleth, who only uses Ahredbar for a few moves; Bandana Dee's moveset would focus mainly on the spear).

Bandana Dee is pretty cute, and if you look in the right places (Battle Royale or the Apple Juice Song), he has an endearing personality.

While this last point is not exclusive to Bandana Dee, adding a character from the modern Kirby games (BD originated in Super Star, but only came to prominence with Return to Dream Land) would be a great opportunity to add music, stages, and spirits from the post-Sakurai era, which many feel is underrepresented.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Mostly because everyone agrees that hes a good choice i mean Dark matter is the only other as important choice but hes pretty obscure, magolor has less importance than dee and marx yeah i dont even need to explain!

For his stage, I was thinking of Castle Dedede from Star Allies.
I thought of the Electrical fence ring from kirby SSU

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Alright I'll give it a shot.

Dark Matter appears in two games as a final (secret) antagonist and a penultimate (final non-secret) antagonist (Dream Land 2 and 3). For Dream Land 2, yes, most people who have played that game not only beat it, but got all the way to Dark Matter. Dream Land 3 didn't phone the challenge in as much so a lot less people even saw him there. And as iconic Kirby villains go, he just doesn't rank as high as he used to before the GBA/3DS era of games. Heck, even when he was contemporary, Marx kind of outclassed him by Super Star being a lot more of a success than Dream Land 3 (which admittedly came out late in SNES time). He has 9 cameo appearances besides this, and is not even playable in Star Allies.

Magalor has less overall game appearances (nine vs. eleven), but more playable ones (Star Allies and Kirby Fighters 2, where I main his cheezy awesomeness), is the primary antagonist in one game, and a specifically successful Kirby game at that. And then 7 cameo/lesser appearances. Because of bias from using him in Kirby Fighters 2, I'd have zero issue having Magalor. And he does have 'new hotness' in his favor being a more recent character.

By being introduced in Kirby Super Star, being the fourth playable character in Return to Dream Land, being Kirby's main sidekick in Triple Deluxe, being one of the few non-kirby playable characters in Kirby Fighters (though Magalor also fits this), similarly has been playable in star allies, return to dreamland, and kirby fighters 2 (topping the list for most playable appearances by someone who isn't kirby, meta knight, or dedede) and his moveset (like most kirby characters) feels VERY much like a smash moveset. Waddle Dees/Doos got removed from Dedede's moveset, so he seems like a lacking part of Smash Bros right now anyway. The spear is nice. And the familiarity is very present.

Now if you would have asked me to rival Bandana Dee vs. Gooey.... that one's hard. Pretty much same number of playable appearances, I think Gooey might even have more appearances. And traditionally "P2" characters get good smash treatment, and Gooey was the original P2 for Kirby.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m a big fan of the Kirby series and I’d be happy with Bandana Dee’s inclusion even though he isn’t even though he isn’t my most wanted character from the series. My dream character from Kirby has always been Bugzzy. Something about a purple wrestling stag beetle just screams awesome to me. Unfortunately, I doubt he is ever going to happen so Dee is cool too.

My question (that may have already been asked) is, if we do get Bandana Dee, who would you like to see if we somehow got any new assist trophies along with him?
I think Kracko would translate well to an AT, being a big cloud who flies around and tries to electrocute you. There's also Magolor, with some fricking portals and magic balls to mess things up. I'd prefer him as a fighter, but if we're talking SSBU, I doubt we'd get two new Kirby fighters in a single cycle.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Old Video I made nearly 2 years ago, back during the first Fighters Pass, about how I feel Waddle Dee is a very underrated character when it comes to making it onto the Ultimate roster. I think he's far more likely than people give credit, especially after Min Min, Sephiroth, and ESPECIALLY After Pyra and Mythra. I feel like he could get in and bring a unique array of content into Smash. Both old and new Kirby. He could even summon Enemies to help him throughout Battle like Kirby could do in Star Allies. Giving the Dream Wand to a Kirby Enemy makes perfect sense. I'm not talking just the elements, though that's a mechanic I would give him, but I'm talking his own personal Assist Trophies, with a cooldown of course. They're weak, but very useful. Not like a Waddle Dee needs this, but it would help him feel more like DLC.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Adol day wasn't as active as the other two, but there was still good discussion. I think niche characters will be fine here. I think the Masked Man day will be another test of that, since almost nobody talks about him.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Adol day wasn't as active as the other two, but there was still good discussion. I think niche characters will be fine here. I think the Masked Man day will be another test of that, since almost nobody talks about him.
Oh I’ve definitely got some suggestions for very obscure characters that are my personal favorites. The main issue is actually getting enough nominations to ever get discussed.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Frankly, obscure characters are kind of what this thread is made for more than anything. A character with no shot and one supporter that would be met with a flood of abstains in RTC can kick up several good discussions in here. At least, that's always been my ideal scenario, ever since this got brought up in the general newcomer thread. That's why I was pushing the "no abstains" thing so hard, even though I respect the decision to keep abstains in the end.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Question: What misc. content could Bandana Dee come with? I know the importance of Bandana Dee in Kirby, but I just don't see what else could come with Bandana Dee.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually, 2 suggestions, can we make it a rule that a character can't be renominated for like, a month or two after they've had their day? Otherwise we may have a bit too many repeats.

As for the second, I know Ayumi's supposed to happen in the current schedule, but can we postpone her until idk, a month after the remakes are out? Like that, people will have had the opportunity to actually play the games and be more informed beyond "Sakurai considered her" and "It inspired other VNs" from people who never played her game, by letting these people play and experience the games, I feel it'd make discussion significantly less stagnant

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, 2 suggestions, can we make it a rule that a character can't be renominated for like, a month or two after they've had their day? Otherwise we may have a bit too many repeats.

As for the second, I know Ayumi's supposed to happen in the current schedule, but can we postpone her until idk, a month after the remakes are out? Like that, people will have had the opportunity to actually play the games and be more informed beyond "Sakurai considered her" and "It inspired other VNs" from people who never played her game, by letting these people play and experience the games, I feel it'd make discussion significantly less stagnant
Yeah, good idea. Didn't think of rerates. Guess I just subconsciously assumed it was fine for now since we're just starting out at the moment.

And yeah, I'm kinda debating how to handle Ayumi. I don't want to go through more poll frickery, but I also want to let people have enough time to get acquainted with her first. Both FDC games seem to be pretty short - Only around 7-10 hours, from what I can gather - But everyone plays at different speeds and either way there'd be a bit of lockout depending on where people start (The second game is a prequel, so you could start either game and be fine). Still, I feel like a month might be a bit far, seeing as she was already voted in.

Y'know what? Frick it, poll time. If she gets pushed back, we're bumping up whoever the highest submission was at the time. If we have a tie for highest noms, I'll bust out the randomizer.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah, good idea. Didn't think of rerates. Guess I just subconsciously assumed it was fine for now since we're just starting out at the moment.

And yeah, I'm kinda debating how to handle Ayumi. I don't want to go through more poll frickery, but I also want to let people have enough time to get acquainted with her first. Both FDC games seem to be pretty short - Only around 7-10 hours, from what I can gather - But everyone plays at different speeds and either way there'd be a bit of lockout depending on where people start (The second game is a prequel, so you could start either game and be fine). Still, I feel like a month might be a bit far, seeing as she was already voted in.

Y'know what? Frick it, poll time. If she gets pushed back, we're bumping up whoever the highest submission was at the time. If we have a tie for highest noms, I'll bust out the randomizer.
Didn't we have a vote between Tom Nook and Phoenix? Couldn't we just push him up into Ayumi's slot?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Bandana Dee is an interesting case. He's absolutely the most important Kirby character left, but the Kirby franchise tends to have very simple playable characters by design.

His playstyle is incredibly easy to lift from his games (the majority of Kirby moves are direction + button), and I'm sure he'd feel right at home with the Kirby cast in Smash. He'd probably have multiple jumps and poor air speed, as the other Kirby characters do. A spear is a different primary weapon than what we're used to seeing, though it is admittedly quite similar to a sword in practice, serving as a disjoint with a sweetspot at the tip.

That said, the only other lightweight characters with disjoints are Meta Knight and maybe Mr. Game & Watch, meaning that he would fill an underrepresented niche in that respect. Further, his playstyle would likely involve a heavy dose of both spacing and projectiles, as he's known to throw his spear. We don't really have a lightweight character that plays a keepaway game like that yet, so the playstyle would be something new. (It actually surprised me a lot to learn that we haven't seen this done already, since it makes sense on paper for a lightweight to specialize in keeping opponents at a distance. After all, lightweights have extra incentive to avoid getting hit.)

As for visuals, the character fits the cutesy mold of the Kirby series. A welcome reprieve from humanoids, he'd likely appeal to a different demographic than recent DLC characters, which is a plus. His spear isn't particularly flashy, but things like his expressions and mannerisms would help to counterbalance that. It's also worth noting that Waddle Dees are popular broadly, so his appeal is somewhat tested.

The character would likely have a mixed reception among fans. On one hand, we've gotten used to seeing massive third parties gaming icons as of late, which means any first party character will receive some blowback. On the other hand, there are few first party characters as broadly requested as Bandana Dee. There's Waluigi, Dixie Kong, and maybe Toad or Impa, but Bandana Dee has a dedicated fanbase.

Overall, while he's lacking any obvious gimmicks (as recent characters tend to have,) it just so happens that a character with his attributes would fill a notable gap in Smash, and without taking too many resources to develop either. He would probably be a beginner-friendly character that appeals to younger fans, women, and dedicated Nintendo fans alike. Overall, Bandana Dee would be a welcome addition to the cast.

(I don't know if I nominate now or later, but if I'm supposed to do it in this post, then I nominate Daitoryo/President/Napoleon from Nintendo's daitoryo line of hanafuda cards.)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I doubled BWD's day because they still had discussion going. You have about 30-60 minutes to get your final thoughts in while I calculate the noms, and then we're moving on to Reimu's day.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, the noms are in. I've been a bit more generous today, most notably allowing multiple gameplay concepts (Movesets, stages, etc.) being grouped in a single post to count for multiple extra noms. That, and the fact that it went on longer than usual allowed more room for questions to be asked. Oh yeah, and I've also listed how much noms you have in total as well, to avoid mixing people up. Hope that helps.
Congratulations on @Autumn Breeze for being the first person to hit the cap on the extra noms!

Bandana Dee's day was quite active, being the first to truly need an extra day, and that's a success in my book. All good things can't last, unfortunately, and so we'll have to move on.
1620920041759.png

Now, we're discussing Reimu Hakurei, from the Touhou Project! This one's had an interesting status on SmashBoards, as the weird situation of being absolutely massive in Japan but niche everywhere else, as well as being heavily fan-driven, means we can't come to an agreement on where her likelihood sits. But ah well, let's throw that to the wayside and vibe to the never-ending stream of Touhou fan remixes!

Oh, extra note: As suggested by Pillow Pillow , we're trying out a new nomming style where we just place our nominations at the bottom of our post instead of waiting through the nomming period. Like so:
(League of Legends rep x15)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, I’ll go first. I know Touhou is huge in Japan and it’s music is dominant in the remixing community. For this reason, I definitely agree that Reims has more than earned her place in the conversation for Smash. My question is how would you translate the mechanics of a bullet hell style game like Touhou into a playable fighter and remain true to the game’s mechanics?

I was going to nominate Battletoads again but it looks like someone just made a Zegram Ghart support topic. What a strange coincidence because I was just thinking about how he’d be an awesome Smash character. I’ll have to thank the TC when I get the chance. 😋

x10 Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When I played TF2 religiously back in the day I encountered Touhou, I got really into it for a while and I learned of it's amazing soundtrack and how old it really was. Reimu would be fantastic to get in smash and I think she could be real unique

I have a Reimu Challenger Pack Concept ready.

Gimmick: Reimu will have a point counter next to her hud and as she does more damage more points will be added up to 100, every 10 points a new property is added to her danmaku attacks. 10-Longer Range, 20-Faster, 30-A small yin yang orb follows Reimu and shoots a Homing shot, 40-Larger, 50-More Knockback, 60-Increased Priority, 70-Largest projectile, 80- A second Yin Yang orb spawns that adds a second homing shot, 90-Max Damage, 100-Lifesteal.

She also has Peach And Daisy's Float mechanic. If Reimu has a near miss from an attack she gains points as well

Stats

Dash: Same as Dark Samus

Weight: Same as peach

Fall speed: Slightly Lighter than Mewtwo

Basic Attacks

Jab: Danmaku, She shoots a rapid fire projectile forward while the button is held

Side tilt: Danmaku

Up tilt: Danmaku

Down tilt: A slide Kick

Dash Attack: Reimu spins around on one foot

Side Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei in front of her

Up Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei upwards

Down Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei on the ground (Palutena D-tilt)

Neutral air: Danmaku

Forward Air: Reimu Smashes her gohei Downwards

Back Air: She shoots a spread of 3 shots behind her

Up Air: Reimu kicks above her head (Mid-air Ascension kick from TH 13.5)

Down Air: A Dive Kick

Specials

Neutral: Bomb Token, Reimu throws a Bomb token and it explodes on contact it destroys all projectiles, You have a limited number of Bombs per stock

Side: Frontal Defense Talisman, Reimu spawns a barrier that moves forwards until it hits a wall or blast zone that reflects projectiles and deals small damage and Knockback, the initial summon shoots 3 projectiles

Down: Yin Yang Orb, Spawns a Yin Yang orb that will fire Danmaku and the Danmaku it fires will copy Reimu's current point total, only 1 can be spawned

Up: Point Jump, Reimu rockets in the direction that the stick is pointed in

Final Smash: Spirit Sign:"Fantasy Seal", Reimu sends a ton of large projectiles in every direction dealing high damage and knockback

Grabs:

Basic grab: Reimu uses her arm to grab the opponent

Pummel: Reimu hits the person with her Gohei

F-throw: Reimu throws the Opponent forwards and shoots 3 shots at the Opponent

B-throw: Reimu Kicks the Opponent backwards

U-throw: Reimu Goes to the top of the Blast Zone (Like Kirby and K Rool) and slams the opponent down on the ground

D-throw: Reimu Sends the opponent downwards with her Gohei

Animations

Entrance: Reimu teleports in

Up taunt: A Fairy appears above Reimu and she interacts with it

Side Taunt: Reimu poses with her Gohei like the art from TH 15

Down Taunt: Reimu holds either a Yin Yang Orb, Bomb Token, Power Token or Point Token

Victory 1: The camera is focused on a spinning Yin Yang Orb, and it zooms out to show that Reimu is holding it

Victory 2: Reimu fires some projectiles and then throws a Bomb token

Victory 3: Reimu sits behind her donation box

Alts

1: Her most common design with a Red Dress and bow

2: A blue Dress and Bow Reimu and Reimu has Gray hair to represent Sakuya

3: A green Dress and bow and White hair to represent Youmu

4: A yellow Dress and Bow and Green hair the skirt design is the same as Koishi's to represent Koishi

5: A light blue Dress and Bow Reimu is Slightly Tanner, Reimu's hair is also slightly blue to represent Cirno

6: A white dress but the Skirt part is the design seen on Aya's dress and Reimu's bow is red

7: A black dress and white skirt and bow and Reimu's hair is purple to represent Reisen

8: Either a Full on Marisa costume or A Black and White Dress and bow and Reimu's hair becomes blonde

Stage
Hakurei Shrine: The main platform is a large pillar slightly larger than Kalos pokemon league and on the platform is the Shrine building where the
dozens of cameos will be, you can stand on the roof of the shrine and there are 2 other trees that you can stand on. Fairies will fly in the background and sometimes on stage to deliver food.
With hazards on occasionally one of the Characters will activate a spell card and many projectiles will be fire down onto the stage depending
on the Spell card.

The Cameos are, Youmu, Alice, The Prismriver Sisters, Reisen, Cirno, Sanae, Aya, Koishi, Patchouli, Nitori, Remilia
Eirin, Saki, Momiji, Suwako, Tenshi, Suika, Yuyuko, Wriggle Nightbug, Wakasagihime, Hong Meiling, Fujiwara no Mokou, Clownpiece, Sumireko, Seiga, Byakuren

The characters that could activate a spell card are: Yukari, Flandre, Sakuya, Junko, Marisa and Utsuho (They still stand in the background with the rest but sometimes they do the spellcard thing)

The Spell card effects are this:
Shikigami "Ran Yakumo": Yukari appears above the Shrine and Ran Yakumo jumps from platform to platform sending projectiles downwards, You can KO Ran to end it early but if you touch her while she is jumping you will take damage.

Taboo "Lävatein": Flandre appears in the middle of the Stage and a Large beam emits from Flandre and circles around the stage, You can KO Flandre to end it early

Illusion World "The World": Sakuya Stands on the Shrine platform and Time slows as Projectiles slowly spawn and fire at the fighters You can KO Sakuya

"Simple Danmaku for Cornering a Trapped Rat": Junko Hovers above the Shrine and sends rows of Homing Projectiles onto the fighters You can KO Junko

Love Sign "Master Spark": Marisa flies above the Stage and Shoots a large beam into the middle of the stage and Star shaped projectiles also fire randomly around the stage You can KO Marisa

Atomic Fire "Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction": Utsuho stands on the Middle Platform a Siren plays and 4 Massive Projectiles are fired from Utusho and smaller homing projectiles are also fired You can KO Utsuho

Music

Victory music: Maiden's Capriccio (Original)
(Yes all of these are entirely biased)
Remixes:
Maiden's Capriccio
Love Colored Master Sparks
Necrofantasia
BAD Apple!!
U.N. Owen Was Her?

Regular music:
Flowering Night
Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes
Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path
Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple
Stirring an Autumn Moon ~ Mooned Insect
Witching Dream
Beloved Tomboyish Girl
The Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
Phantom Ensemble
Pierrot of the Star Spangled Banner
Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart
Pandemonic Planet
Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
Gensokyo Millennium ~ History Of The Moon
Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon
Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea

Classic Mode

Name: Shrine Maiden's Journey (Battles against characters with many projectiles)

The First: Link

The Second: Robin

The Third: Samus and Dark Samus

The Fourth: Simon and Richter

The Fifth: Mii gunner army

The Sixth: Mega Man

The Boss: Marx

Spirits

Misc

Series Logo: Yin Yang Orb, Point Token or The Kanji for Touhou Project

Kirby: Kirby would don Reimu's Bow and then Bomb token instead of relying on points would be on a timer.

Upon being KO'd many Point tokens will fly from the Blast Zone

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Isaac (TBoI) x10
Also, I think we shouldn’t be earning extra noms from asking questions because sometimes, it feels like nom-hoarding to be honest.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay then let's start things off with a stage concept shall we? I'll leave question opened so that everyone could reap a point out of it

Touhou Project
Stage
Gensokyo

(Note; this is not the official map of Gensokyo, it is just used to visualized the place in full scope)

Gensokyo is the main location where most of the event of Touhou takes place in, the place is inhabited by powerful yo-kai as well as humans and which eventually sealed off from the Outside World with the creation of the Great Hakurei Barrier and existed in a parallel timeline where some location, with some example like the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the Great Mausoleum were started appearing after its existence were forgotten. So far there are some character that can access or even from the outside world, these includes humans like Sanae Kochiya and Sumireko Usami with yo-kai such as Yukari Yakumo and Mamizou Futatsuiwa can easily walk in and out with Yukari using her gap power to do the job.

As a Stage
MAIN ROUTE
Hakurei Shrine -- Scarlet Devil Mansion -- Human Village -- Bamboo Forest of the Lost -- Yo-kai Mountain -- Netherworld

Gensokyo is a traveling stage like Yggdrasil Altar where it let player travel around several iconic location associated with each entry in the bullet hell series, this captured the true feeling of Touhou and its gameplay where it mostly takes place in the sky so it's pretty necessary for it to be a traveling stage, several cameo from other character will appear similar to the Tasofro fighting game but mostly tied to a specific location that we're on at the moment, a few example include Sakuya, Remilia and Flandre appearing in the Scarlet Devil Mansion section and Rinnosuke and Marisa appearing in the Human Village with Marisa being a frequent customer of Kourindou.​

Hakurei Shrine
The main home of Reimu Hakurei and the starting point for every game in the series which fits perfectly as the first location, the layout itself is a flat stage similar to the KoF Stadium only with no invisible walls and has walk-off, overall it's a simple stage.

Scarlet Devil Mansion
The second location of the stage and serve as the main location of the event of the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, the first Touhou game for Windows and probably the most popular inside and outside of the fanbase. The stage is presented as if you are approaching towards it, through the gate and inside the mansion where we can see the library and existed from the clocktower.

Human Village
The third location is the human village served as half of the setting of the event of Imperishable Night, like the name implied it is a location inhabit by mostly humans under the protection shrine maiden and exorcist like Reimu which keep them away from being killed by yo-kai.

Bamboo Forest of the Lost
Continuing from the Human Village we go straight into the forest served as the fourth location, it mostly a filler up until we got to Eintei and just like last time go in and invade the privacy of the resident.

Yo-kai Mountain
The second to last location were visiting and this one specifically is the main setting for Mountain of Faith, here we scour through from the feet to the top of the mountain where we can see the titular rival shrine, Moriya Shrine and the lake flowing down the mountain down below before plummeting down under.

Netherworld
The final destination of the stage before repeat once, this location, while not a specific location but rather a whole area has been a reoccurring place ever since Perfect Cherry Blossom.

How would Reimu’s trailer be like? What would her tag line be?
for the tagline it got to be

Reimu Hakurei, Responded to Your Prayers!

for trailer I actually wanted it to be a 2D animation like Palutena's, a short scenario for this trailer probably involved several Fighters fighting on Battlefield or Final Destination and not noticing that they're in the world of Touhou after penetrating the barrier for reasons that I can explain, maybe Yukari did this but who knows which is where Reimu step in and intervene.

Nomination goes to Agumon, all of it goes to Agumon

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've posted this before but I didn't get any real feedback
I've been thinking about Reimu for a while and watching Dark Phoenix in MvC3 gave me an idea. For those who don't know, one of the big buffs Dark Phoenix gets is that her normals fire off projectiles making her moves stronger and safer, what if Reimu used a similar idea so that whenever she used her normals, she'd shoot a small, weak and short to mid distance projectile. It'd have no hit stun and deal chip damage at most but Reimu'd be able to fill the screen with projectiles like this, if this is a passive ability she'd always have then her normals can be balanced around that by making them weak too and if it's an install or something, then that ability will have cooldown to balance it out. The issue people have with zoners is an inability to get in, so I'm curious of the inherent dynamic of "You can get in, but you'll take a chunk of damage" at play here
Does this fit well enough with how Touhou plays while still sounding pretty fun?

sessian

Smash Rookie
A couple of the Touhou fighting games use a midair battle system to mimic the main series' ubiquitous flight. I wonder if this could translate into a unique mechanic for a Touhou stage. Maybe some kind of invisible platform gimmick where the fighters are counted as being in the air while they're on it?

How would Reimu’s trailer be like? What would her tag line be?

Nominating Trauma Center Content x5
Since we know from Sephiroth that we're allowed to reuse the WoL setting in non-canon ways, I think it'd be fitting to have Reimu shown weaving effortlessly through Galeem's light beam attack, catching telltale glimpses of her through gaps in the laser spam, before the full reveal and splash screen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A couple of the Touhou fighting games use a midair battle system to mimic the main series' ubiquitous flight. I wonder if this could translate into a unique mechanic for a Touhou stage. Maybe some kind of invisible platform gimmick where the fighters are counted as being in the air while they're on it?

Since we know from Sephiroth that we're allowed to reuse the WoL setting in non-canon ways, I think it'd be fitting to have Reimu shown weaving effortlessly through Galeem's light beam attack, catching telltale glimpses of her through gaps in the laser spam, before the full reveal and splash screen.
You know how Hero’s also used the Dark Realm as a setting?

what if Reimu fought both Galeem AND Dharkon?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Does this fit well enough with how Touhou plays while still sounding pretty fun?
It sounds fun to me but I’ve never played Touhou so I can’t really comment to how faithful it is. It reminds me a lot of how Bayonetta’s guns work in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I’ll go first. I know Touhou is huge in Japan and it’s music is dominant in the remixing community. For this reason, I definitely agree that Reims has more than earned her place in the conversation for Smash. My question is how would you translate the mechanics of a bullet hell style game like Touhou into a playable fighter and remain true to the game’s mechanics?

I was going to nominate Battletoads again but it looks like someone just made a Zegram Ghart support topic. What a strange coincidence because I was just thinking about how he’d be an awesome Smash character. I’ll have to thank the TC when I get the chance. 😋

x10 Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
General agreement is that we'd need some sort of Grazing mechanic. In the shooters, Grazing adds to your score when you just miss a projectile; As you can imagine, given the type of game this is it happens a lot. In the fighters, it instead allows you to pass through projectiles - And in some cases, destroy them outright - While dashing. Personally, I think it could work like Link and Hero's shield, where Reimu is immune to projectiles while standing still.

The other thing is the standards shoot-em-up stuff; Namely, controlled flight and lots of projectile attacks. Flight could either be like an omnidirectional jump or like ROB's up special. For the projectiles, Reimu could have a lot of projectile normals; In her case, her most notable projectiles are the Hakurei Amulets (Homing talismans), Persuasion Needles (Stronger, but lack the homing effect), and in some cases, the Youkai Buster (Amulets that go straight forward but cover a wide radius).

That... Could work really well, actually. Firstly, Reimu is depicted with the gohei a lot, so there's the question of whether or not she should put emphasis on the gohei or her projectiles. Secondly, all the shooters have Options (In Reimu's case, the Yin-Yang Orbs), which float beside you and fire projectiles with you to buff your damage output. By making Reimu's normals focus on the gohei while having the Options fire a projectile with her, that solves the gohei/projectile debate while keeping in-line with Touhou's projectile-heavy nature.

Top Bottom