• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
For the halibut, and because @ Burruni Burruni 's post was both insightful and entertaining, this is my "who's viable?" list per series:

:4mario: Captain Toad (i.e. Toad by proxy) is the only "big name" character left, I think. Waluigi and Daisy are potential candidates, but I can't see either happening unless they appear in a mainline title.
:4yoshi: Kamek at a stretch, I guess?
:4wario2: Captain Syrup is the only named recurring character aside from The Wa himself, but that's very unlikely.
:4wario: Ashley seems to be the most popular choice, though her status as an AT scuppers her chances. After that, it's a toss-up between Mona, Jimmy T and possibly 9-Volt.
:4dk: Dixie and K. Rool. No reason we can't get both!
:4pikachu: So much to choose from, yet very few particularly stand out. Aside from a reworked Pokémon Trainer and possibly Squirtle and / or Ivysaur, this is pretty much a case of picking your favourite and sticking with it.
:4kirby: Bandana Dee, as he's become the fourth hero in recent games. Magolor ought to make another mainline appearance before he's properly considered.
:4samus: Ridley is the top dog here, but that ship has long since sailed, and Dark Samus is the best runner-up. Out of those remaining, I reckon Rundas or Sylux have the best chance, but that's not saying much. Adam or Anthony would be up there, if only by default, but they're not exactly fan favourites.
:4pit: Toss-up between Viridi, Medusa and Hades - pick your favourite. Unless a supporting character like Phosphora or Arlon makes a huge impact in a future title, a main antagonist seems like the best choice. Magnus, in addition to being an AT, doesn't really do much in the first place. Decloned Pittoo seems the most likely right now.
:4fox: Wolf and Krystal. Anything beyond that is superfluous.
:4falcon: An antagonist, maybe? I don't think anybody stands out as much as Cap.
:4marth: Roy's a popular veteran and almost confirmed at this stage. Tiki and Anna are recurring and popular characters, thereby putting them above 90% of the cast by default. Not sure if appearing in a sequel counts as recurring, but let's consider the Black Knight and Micaiah as very low-key contenders. If the new game does well, Kamui may have a good chance.
:4littlemac: Doc Louis? This is pretty much the extent of the series.
:4ness: Porky is the most important recurring character in the series, seems as good a choice as any. The Masked Man has some decent fan support and Ninten would make an interesting alt. That said, the chances of any of them getting in are very slim.
:4wiifit: Again, this is the extent of the series.
:4olimar: Ibid.
:4villagerf: Tom Nook or Isabelle, as they're both important to the "story"; Nook is a recurring character and Isabelle is very popular in spite of her thus far single appearance.
:4shulk: Metal Face More than likely another hero, pick your favourite.
:4gaw: (retro) Ice Climbers if they can be fixed. Takamaru has a very good chance if he gets another game, and beyond that, there are a few to choose from, e.g. Mach Rider and Lip. I don't think any of them are too likely, though.
:4sonic: (third-party) Snake is in a good position by virtue of being a veteran. Ryu is pretty much confirmed. As for another third-party character entirely, I think Rayman has the best chance, owing to his foot already being in the door and huge fan support.
I quite need to add this, but I think both captain toad and Paper Mario are both big names.

I just want to tell because I saw a tendancy of people seeming to underrate Paper Mario's chances....there's actually reasons he migh be more likely than captain toad, but even if he wasn't, I think they would be quite close. At least enough to consider them both likely.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I quite need to add this, but I think both captain toad and Paper Mario are both big names.

I just want to tell because I saw a tendancy of people seeming to underrate Paper Mario's chances....there's actually reasons he migh be more likely than captain toad, but even if he wasn't, I think they would be quite close. At least enough to consider them both likely.
That is a fair point. Yeah, I think Papes has a better chance than most consider.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ashley Potion Ideas, because of her magic being dubbed "40% accurate"
1) Red: Pepper Powder - Fighter speed is increased to 1.25, but periodically flinches with minimal damage which disrupts combos and could DEVASTATE certain recoveries.
2) Green: Sap of Life - Fighter heals a minimal amount every second, but are slowed down by ~33%.
3) Blue: Bubbly Brew - Fighter is made lighter, increases jumping and reduces combo-weakness but easier to launch and can't fall back to the stage easily.
4) Yellow: Conduction Concoction - Fighter has a slight magnetic effect to projectiles, but automatically picks up possible items.
5) Black: Noxius Nightmare - Doesn't actually cause a status ailment, but the vial explodes in a dark cloud.

For the halibut, and because @ Burruni Burruni 's post was both insightful and entertaining, this is my "who's viable?" list per series:
YAY I'M POPULAR, also you forgot to include the Zelda series.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Personally, I think if Punch-out had another rep, it would be Bald Bull. Slower, stronger, doesn't have Mac's weakness of bad air game and bad recovery, but instead has a different weakness via crippling end lag on whiff for all his moves.
Bald Bull has the most appearances out of all of the Punch-Out opponents. He was even in the Nintendo made Arm Wrestling for the arcade.

Much better choice than King Hippo in my opinion.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If Wario's getting a sidekick on the roster, it would be Waluigi. But of the Warioware cast, it's clear that Ashley is seen for the most potential while being one of the most popular overall.
Typical broom riding with Up+B, down+B I see being something that summons Red to be a short term and weak partner that pursues enemies like an Assist Trophy. While side B bein an anti-projectile projectile, I could see the neutral B being an inverse of Shulks: She would switch around various nefarious potions that force opponents to have status ailments with some benefits but mostly being an issue and after it is chosen, the next usage would toss one with some internal cooldown for conjuring another, for balance .
I'd rather have Captain Syrup.

Cos why not. (But i don't think Wario should get another rep until AT LEAST next game, and Yoshi never)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
But Ashley sucks (and most of her fanbase aren't particularly...part of the Warioware fanbase.)

As a self proclaimed no.1 fan of the Warioware series I would like Mona or Jimmy T instead.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But Ashley sucks (and most of her fanbase aren't particularly...part of the Warioware fanbase.)
Whatever do you mean by that? :roll:

For a self proclaimed WarioWARE fan, why do you have an avatar from Wario LAND? /jk

In any case, I assure you, we're the most authentic Ashley fans you can find anywhere. :estatic:

:231:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The more I play of Pirate's Curse, the more I realise Shantae's moveset practically writes itself.
Pirate's Curse? That only wrote Risky's moveset... now, if it was Risky's Revenge or even the original game, then I can see Shantae's moveset.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Whatever do you mean by that? :roll:

For a self proclaimed WarioWARE fan, why do you have an avatar from Wario LAND? /jk

In any case, I assure you, we're the most authentic Ashley fans you can find anywhere. :estatic:

:231:
Post was tongue in cheek but I did come across...questionable fans.

Soiled the character for me completely. lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, if, if, Punch-Out!! got another character, I'd actually like it to be Doc Louis. Being his coach, Doc essentially to Little Mac as Palutena is to Pit.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Coming from a major Punch Out fan and who was a insane supporter for Little Mac, there's only 3 reps they can go with

Doc Lewis (which wouldn't be bad but should fit as Mac's support)

Mike Tyson(who would be fine with it and have been the reason Punch Out was memorable)
image.jpg

And there's one more rep and it would b insane and it isn't any of the boxers Mac face

A rule 63 version of Little Mac ala :4marth:&:4lucina:
image.jpg

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
PK Starstorm was the move only Kumatora and Poo could use, Ike's Ftilt is based of a different character's attack animation iirc, your point is?
:rolleyes:

You yourself said you don't see Risky pogo-swording enemies. I pointed out that those pirate gear originally belonged to Risky according to the story. If Risky owns those pirate gear and she's a pirate, then yes, she can use those pirate gear and it wouldn't be out of character for her to pogo-sword enemies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

:4mario: Captain Toad (i.e. Toad by proxy) is the only "big name" character left in the main series, I think. Waluigi and Daisy are potential candidates, but I can't see either happening unless they appear in a mainline title. Paper Mario could be a potentially viable left-fielder.
:4yoshi: Kamek at a stretch, I guess?
:4wario2: Captain Syrup is the only named recurring character aside from The Wa himself, but that's very unlikely.
:4wario: Ashley seems to be the most popular choice, though her status as an AT scuppers her chances. After that, it's a toss-up between Mona, Jimmy T and possibly 9-Volt.
:4dk: Dixie and K. Rool. No reason we can't get both!
:4link: Impa seems to be the most likely recurring character. Ganon is a possibility, and I think Tingle would be a good candidate if not for his status as an AT. Other popular choices, like Ghirahim and Midna, in addition to being ATs, will be in a good position if they appear in future games.
:4pikachu: So much to choose from, yet very few particularly stand out. Aside from a reworked Pokémon Trainer and possibly Squirtle and / or Ivysaur, this is pretty much a case of picking your favourite and sticking with it.
:4kirby: Bandana Dee, as he's become the fourth hero in recent games. Magolor ought to make another mainline appearance before he's properly considered.
:4samus: Ridley is the top dog here, but that ship has long since sailed, and Dark Samus is the best runner-up. Out of those remaining, I reckon Rundas or Sylux have the best chance, but that's not saying much. Adam or Anthony would be up there, if only by default, but they're not exactly fan favourites.
:4pit: Toss-up between Viridi, Medusa and Hades - pick your favourite. Unless a supporting character like Phosphora or Arlon makes a huge impact in a future title, a main antagonist seems like the best choice. Magnus, in addition to being an AT, doesn't really do much in the first place. Decloned Pittoo seems the most likely right now.
:4fox: Wolf and Krystal. Anything beyond that is superfluous.
:4falcon: An antagonist, maybe? I don't think anybody stands out as much as Cap.
:4marth: Roy's a popular veteran and almost confirmed at this stage. Tiki and Anna are recurring and popular characters, thereby putting them above 90% of the cast by default. Not sure if appearing in a sequel counts as recurring, but let's consider the Black Knight and Micaiah as very low-key contenders. If the new game does well, Kamui may have a good chance.
:4littlemac: Doc Louis? This is pretty much the extent of the series.
:4ness: Porky is the most important recurring character in the series, seems as good a choice as any. The Masked Man has some decent fan support and Ninten would make an interesting alt. That said, the chances of any of them getting in are very slim.
:4wiifit: Again, this is the extent of the series.
:4olimar: Ibid.
:4villagerf: Tom Nook or Isabelle, as they're both important to the "story"; Nook is a recurring character and Isabelle is very popular in spite of her thus far single appearance.
:4shulk: Metal Face More than likely another hero, pick your favourite.
:4gaw: (retro) Ice Climbers if they can be fixed. Takamaru has a very good chance if he gets another game, and beyond that, there are a few to choose from, e.g. Mach Rider and Lip. I don't think any of them are too likely, though.
:4sonic: (third-party) Snake is in a good position by virtue of being a veteran. Ryu is pretty much confirmed. As for another third-party character entirely, I think Rayman has the best chance, owing to his foot already being in the door and huge fan support.
I'll give this a go:

Mario Franchise - I would go with Captain Toad as the next candidate for Smash. We've already seen the likes of Rosalina & Luma as well as Bowser Jr as the newcomer characters from the franchise, although Waluigi would be my other candidate.

DK Franchise - I would say its between Dixie Kong and King K Rool.

Legend of Zelda Franchise - I would say possibly Impa even though I did have Ghirahim and Midna in mind before they wer ATs.

Metroid Franchise - I would say Ridley.

Yoshi Franchise - Not sure.

Kirby Franchise - Not sure either. Maybe Bandana Dee?

Starfox Franchise - Its pretty much between Wolf and Krystal.

Pokemon Franchise - There are so many Pokemon to choose from, however I would like to see a Pokemon to which no one expected to be playable.

F-Zero - Black Shadow would be the main candidate (even though Samurai Goroh is an AT.)

Earthbound - Not sure.

Fire Emblem - Well with Roy looking very certain to return, if there were any other candidates I would consider, maybe Micaiah or someone unexpected.

Punch Out - Not sure about this one. It really depends who I think people will like. Maybe Mr. Sandman?

Kid Icarus - I would say Viridi is the main candidate for me, although I would love to have Magnus as well even though he is an AT.

Xenoblade - Other than Shulk, I would say Fiora as the main candidate.

Animal Crossing - I'd say Isabelle, due to her popularity, although I would also say Tom Nook as well.

Retro - We've seen Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt come into the Smash arena, if there were any other classics, I would like to see Mach Rider.

Other - I would say Isaac from Golden Sun seemed mostly the likely candidate. Others may include Wonder Red.

Third Party - Since it is very likely that Ryu of the Street Fighter series will be in the game, if there were a 2nd rep from Namco and SEGA, I would like to see Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia and either Beat of Jet Set Radio or Vyse from Skies of Arcadia.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
:rolleyes:

You yourself said you don't see Risky pogo-swording enemies. I pointed out that those pirate gear originally belonged to Risky according to the story. If Risky owns those pirate gear and she's a pirate, then yes, she can use those pirate gear and it wouldn't be out of character for her to pogo-sword enemies.
By that I meant if you never see a character doing something and someone else does that with their things, the owner didn't come up with it

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly think any of the major PO bosses are good candidates (those mainly being King Hippo, Bald Bull and Sandman.)

It's too bad the moveset Mac has now is actually the perfet one for Sandman, considering it's pretty much a Mike Tyson homage like he is.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pirate's Curse? That only wrote Risky's moveset... now, if it was Risky's Revenge or even the original game, then I can see Shantae's moveset.
I find the transformations to be hit 'n' miss, honestly.

It doesn't make a lick of difference to me who the weapons originally belonged to, but how they're used. Point is, Shantae uses them in canon, and I think it'd work well in Smash.

View attachment 48852
This is really adorable, I'd love to see this in a future Punch-Out!! game.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's not exactly what I meant. A better example I guess would be...Character A uses character B's special move but uses it differently and therefore makes it a completely different move
Shantae confirmed to be Risky semi-clone. :troll:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I honestly think any of the major PO bosses are good candidates (those mainly being King Hippo, Bald Bull and Sandman.)

It's too bad the moveset Mac has now is actually the perfet one for Sandman, considering it's pretty much a Mike Tyson homage like he is.
Personally Ryu & Lil Mac & Villagers gloves & possibly K Rool's too is enough boxing-type thing!
But if a second rep would join I would probably like them. Would like the fat trainer or the King Hippo. (despite his ugly hideous face).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Personally Ryu & Lil Mac & Villagers gloves & possibly K Rool's too is enough boxing-type thing!
But if a second rep would join I would probably like them. Would like the fat trainer or the King Hippo. (despite his ugly hideous face).
Boxing is such a diverse and varied fighting style that you can easily differentiate boxer characters. It's just that Mike Tyson's orthodox stance (and peekaboo) is so recognized and famous that it's everywhere in media. Street Fighter x Tekken had three boxers and they were all vastly different. (Despite Steve and Dudley being practically tributes to Hajime no Ippo, but the main character of that series pretty much uses Tyson's style as well) Granted at the same time it's kinda hard capturing the complexity of boxing in a video game.

Also Ryu isn't a boxer at all.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If King Hippo joins I would like him to be this fat. And count as a Bowser/DK ect big & heavy character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Coming from a major Punch Out fan and who was a insane supporter for Little Mac, there's only 3 reps they can go with

Doc Lewis (which wouldn't be bad but should fit as Mac's support)

Mike Tyson(who would be fine with it and have been the reason Punch Out was memorable)
View attachment 48850

And there's one more rep and it would b insane and it isn't any of the boxers Mac face

View attachment 48852
Only saw Little Lady just now. Don't call her small, especially on her monthlies

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Little Mackenzie.
And then prepare for all the tumblr feminists ranting and raving about the game promoting domestic abuse :^D
Tumblr is such a weird and awesome place at the same time.

There's lots of awesome Paper Mario art, but there's porn too.

Then, vivian just gets so much praise because of having a non consistent gender....

It's weird!

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Little Mackenzie.
And then prepare for all the tumblr feminists ranting and raving about the game promoting domestic abuse :^D
I actually want a Female boxers in the new Punch Out game with Little Makoto but people will call me out as an SJW for wanting one. I just want funny as hell characters again and Next Levels creativity showing. Plus the possibility of :4peach:rumor coming true and making her a fighter would be fun. Plus making other Nintendo girls fighters like:4zss::4zelda::4wiifit:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I actually want a Female boxers in the new Punch Out game with Little Makoto but people will call me out as an SJW for wanting one. I just want funny as hell characters again and Next Levels creativity showing. Plus the possibility of :4peach:rumor coming true and making her a fighter would be fun. Plus making other Nintendo girls fighters like:4zss::4zelda::4wiifit:
I wouldn't mind a new Punch-Out game starring a female protagonist making her way through the WVBA women's ranks.... but it shouldn't just be a gender swapped Little Mac. She should actually be her own character. Make her Doc Louis' daughter or something if you really want to make a connection with the older games in the series.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind a new Punch-Out game starring a female protagonist making her way through the WVBA women's ranks.... but it shouldn't just be a gender swapped Little Mac. She should actually be her own character. Make her Doc Louis' daughter or something if you really want to make a connection with the older games in the series.
Little Mac's daughter for the protagonist. And the final champion of the belt is Doc Louis's incredibly feisty niece.
Please Nintendo
This is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom