• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Woah mate calm down. No reason to sink to their level.
Heh, I guess I was a bit too passionate there.

When you deal with generic haters on a daily basis saying the same crap over and over again, it really gets to your head a bit.

No am actually serious. I supported Lucas getting into Brawl after playing Mother 3, so it's logical that I'll be playing him a lot. Wolf, I just missed terribly in this game and think he'd be a serious treat with his old moveset in this game. Roy is basically my only chance to play a good version of Marth, so yeah... All these characters indeed excite me more than most newcomers.
I like both Marth and Roy's movesets though Roy's up close and personal moveset has always been my preference. Marth is still a better character to use in Melee though (competitively speaking at least).

Yeah that was a little harsh. But hey, at least he is dedicated to his favorite character. Wish more people were like that about Pichu.
I am as you can see lol. I don't have any tolerance for haters one bit. Same goes for people hating on Wolf.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Pichu back in. They can keep his old moveset and maybe buff some attacks. Also, it would be absolutely hilarious to see how salty people would get over Pichu's inclusion lol.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I am as you can see lol. I don't have any tolerance for haters one bit. Same goes for people hating on Wolf.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Pichu back in. They can keep his old moveset and maybe buff some attacks. Also, it would be absolutely hilarious to see how salty people would get over Pichu's inclusion lol.
What if Pichu got in.... and he became god tier.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So, is this the official, official character thread? or the Official, Official, non official character thread?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hate hearing that.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll see Wolf return soon enough.
I'd say he's all but guaranteed, yeah. I mean, I agree. I hate hearing that. I used to say that but I got over it during the speculation period. The only character I will say for it right now is Wolf. Other characters like K. Rool are looking really good and I'm excited, but Wolf is in the absolute perfect position with everything we know.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That basically describes 95% of the games Nintendo puts out.
Not really especially when they come from a game that has gotten a critical praise as the "best JRPG" of all time.

There are games with characters like Geno (Praised as one of the best Mario RPGs of all time) and Masked Man (considered to be one of the best Mother game of all time) in those games, as they come out as one of the most remembered characters in the game whether it be reasons for being the most broken character (Melia and Geno) or being an essential part to the story (Fiora and Masked Man), being a very memorable character with diverse personality (Most Zelda villains fit this), and how they can provide a large amount of moveset potential just by looking at their games.

Those are some of the reasons why some people want to see them badly in Smash and why they are requested more loudly than other characters. They stand out a bit more than most Nintendo characters suggested for Smash, but yeah now I realize the odds are pretty loooow, especially with how the situation has changed with the ballot. ._.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm not listing him for the following reasons:
1) He had 3 titles released internationally with 1 being a remake of the 1st game. None of these sold incredibly well or "revolutionized" any real part of gaming unlike our current 3rd Parties, Snake as a veteran, and the leaked newcomer Ryu.
2) His other 4 games were failures to the point that they were not internationally released.
3) His last appearance was in late 2002 in japan only as a protagonist. His last appearance AT ALL was Namco x Capcom in late 2005. When a character and series is not touched by their own makers for a decade, they really shouldn't be discussed as 3rd Party Newcomers. And before the "last touched" point is argued for :4megaman:, while there was a LONG gap between 8 and 9, the various incarnations of him with all the sub series never made Megaman Irrelevant.

And yet ANOTHER reminder that I need to pick up Dual Destinies....
How many times has irrelevancy and all that other stuff been considered by Sakurai? We are talking about SAKURAI of all people one of the most erratic, enigmatic, mind humping and lying people in the world c'mon now. When it comes to Sakurai nothing is impossible we might hear about him adding a outlandish and obscure character tomorrow that is just the type of man at the helm of this game. Any logic is out the window I wouldn't be surprised if Klonoa is considered.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Assuming he is indeed a sure-thing, I'm rather indifferent. I'm happy for those who wanted him in, but I personally couldn't care less.
This is why I think we will only get a couple of characters from the ballot after Roy and Ryu. People in general probably don't care that much. I mean some people may fork over 5 dollars or whatever for a character they use once and never touch again, but if I don't see myself using the character much I'm not going to continually buy them (but I will take that back if I can't play against them randomly online). Really it is probably in Nintendo's best interest to just make a couple top picks that lots of people will buy, and focus efforts on stuff that will appeal to everyone like new skins/colors, stages and items.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
How many times has irrelevancy and all that other stuff been considered by Sakurai? We are talking about SAKURAI of all people one of the most erratic, enigmatic, mind humping and lying people in the world c'mon now. When it comes to Sakurai nothing is impossible we might hear about him adding a outlandish and obscure character tomorrow that is just the type of man at the helm of this game. Any logic is out the window I wouldn't be surprised if Klonoa is considered.
FIRST PARTY choices have stunned people due to some of the series that Sakurai has pulled out in terms of series being effectively dead when Sakurai pulls them out or something like that.
But when Sakurai has firmly stated his grounds for third parties this time around being chosen due to the legacy behind them, :4pacman: Gaming's Forefather, :4sonic: 2Fast4Nintendo, and :4megaman:JUMP 'N' SHOOT MAN certainly have this. Ryu as the face of the fighting game genre certainly fits this. :snake: at least is one of the most famous series that is still the one that people cite most for a relation to any game or section that relates to Stealth. Klonoa isn't near this calibur nor, in my opinion, of the Tales of and Tekken series that are the forerunners for a big second namco-bandai series.

TL;DR: Sakurai's made some shocking and rarely questionable choices on who gets in to be a representative for Smash. But the most controversy over a THIRD PARTY character has been not of the merit of the character but of the lack of Nintendo history. Klonoa's last original title was almost a decade ago without the lasting popularity of two significantly larger N-B series.. :snake: was a personal favor coated in the excuses of the series having roots on the NES and Twin Snakes being released on the Gamecube in recent memory during development of Brawl which had a different set of rules.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, not at all. I really don't know who Chun Li is.

I feel like any gamer, even if they don't Street Fighter, should know who Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, and Akuma are. So now you do.
Also, speaking of Ryu and Ken, I really hope that Ken is an alt for Ryu if he's in. It just feels weird having Ryu as the sole SF rep in any crossover.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

I feel like any gamer, even if they don't Street Fighter, should know who Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, and Akuma are. So now you do.
Also, speaking of Ryu and Ken, I really hope that Ken is an alt for Ryu if he's in. It just feels weird having Ryu as the sole SF rep in any crossover.
I have no knowledge or expertise in Street Fighter, Kenith, it's not my fault.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I don't completely know who Ken is, but looks wise isn't he kinda what Ninten is to Ness. If so, I don't think we will be getting a Ken alt. But I will be disappointed if Akuma doesn't become a Ryu alt.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have no knowledge or expertise in Street Fighter, Kenith, it's not my fault.
Lol, I'm not attacking you. It was a joke. I do those, sometimes.

I don't completely know who Ken is, but looks wise isn't he kinda what Ninten is to Ness. If so, I don't think we will be getting a Ken alt. But I will be disappointed if Akuma doesn't become a Ryu alt.
No. He is to Ryu what Luigi is to Mario. Except Ken's been around as long as Ryu has.
Even if Ryu and Ken don't share a slot in Smash Bros., they better have Ken's theme in there somewhere.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lol, I'm not attacking you. It was a joke. I do those, sometimes.

No. He is to Ryu what Luigi is to Mario. Except Ken's been around as long as Ryu has.
Even if Ryu and Ken don't share a slot in Smash Bros., they better have Ken's theme in there somewhere.
After looking it up, (I probably should have done this in the first place) I now agree that He-Man Ken would be a good choice for an alt.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

I think this could be somewhat age dependent. Like I could see people under 20 not necessarily knowing all that much about SF2 characters...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't mean to be a total jerk here, but if Sakurai really is about to add Ryu, I think he's totally lost his senses.
Right, he's just going to add one of the most widely recognized characters in all of gaming. :rolleyes:

Street Fighter is to fighting games what Mario is to platforming. Ryu is on par with Sonic and Pac-Man in regards to legacy in gaming history.

Smash Bros. and a lot of other fighting game franchises owe a lot of their existence to Street Fighter II.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Right, he's just going to add one of the most widely recognized characters in all of gaming. :rolleyes:

Street Fighter is to fighting games what Mario is to platforming. Ryu is on par with Sonic and Pac-Man in regards to legacy in gaming history.

Smash Bros. and a lot of other fighting game franchises owe a lot of their existence to Street Fighter II.
Then explain why Street Fighter is not owned by Nintendo.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I don't mean to be a total jerk here, but if Sakurai really is about to add Ryu, I think he's totally lost his senses.
Well no because, Ryu is fighting games, I would say this if like say Boogerman or Earthworm Jim was in the game.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm serious. Street fighter is not a Nintendo franchise, it's Capcom. There's is simply no reason to add in a second Capcom character.
Actually, there is. It's this reason right here:
I've said it a million times. Capcom has more franchises worthy for Smash Bros. than Sega and Namco combined.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm serious. Street fighter is not a Nintendo franchise, it's Capcom. There's is simply no reason to add in a second Capcom character.
So what if he's a Capcom character? He's a widely known video game character. He's iconic.

There has never been a rule about having two characters from the same third party company. This is another fan-made "rule".

Also, the files found in the game don't lie. There is Street Fighter music in the game that was distributed online for every copy of the game, which means that, unless Nintendo wants to be sued for copyright infringement, they cannot simply put them there without authorization from Capcom.

But really, arguing with you is a waste of time, so I'll leave this here:

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So what if he's a Capcom character? He's a widely known video game character. He's iconic.

There has never been a rule about having two characters from the same third party company. This is another fan-made "rule".

Also, the files found in the game don't lie. There is Street Fighter music in the game that was distributed online for every copy of the game, which means that, unless Nintendo wants to be sued for copyright infringement, they cannot simply put them there without authorization from Capcom.

But really, arguing with you is a waste of time, so I'll leave this here:

I'm not saying the rule was made by Sakurai at all, I just agree with it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I would never mind 2 characters from a 3rd party company........as long as they are from DIFFERENT series.
e.g, no thanks to more pacman, sonic and especially megaman characters. (megaman is not iconic to me).

I think Ryu would be amazing for the progress of Smash Bros. It's a little saddening it's not one of the 3rd parties I support, but still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom