• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
most hated games
Super Mario Galaxy
yeah no. :p galaxy is beloved as hell.

nothing will ever beat me playing mega man x7 buurn to the ground! and command mission which was a really bad rpg which combined with FF 10 made me hate rpgs that werent pokemon for years. I still dont enjoy mega man either possible because of that ****ty experience

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
yeah no. :p galaxy is beloved as hell.

nothing will ever beat me playing mega man x7 buurn to the ground! and command mission which was a really bad rpg which combined with FF 10 made me hate rpgs that werent pokemon for years. I still dont enjoy mega man either possible because of that ****ty experience
Command Mission is one of my favourite games, honestly. I have a lot of good memories attached to it.

By the way, Pirate's Curse is amazing. I'd pay good money for her if Shantae appeared in Smash.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Always wanted to play that actually, it got flak for not being 2000 year door, but was still good iirc
wait, there's a sequel to TTYD?

ah....ok I got the joke, 2000.....lol.

Honestly, first, idk why would you even expect a sequel to TTYD with there isn't much need to do it, but spm just bring so much stuff to the series....the stories and humor as well as the new cubic design.

Also, most of the games are TTYD or TTYD inspired assets....

Btw, you indeed should play it and I hope they will release that game on VC, can't wait....

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I could start up a fish and chip shop with all the salt Ryu seems to be generating. I don't understand what has led people to believe that characters owned by companies not yet represented are better fits for an all-star game like this than the literal face of fighting games just because the company he is owned by happen to have another iconic character in there already.

I mean, it's almost like suggesting we punish Capcom because they've made a bigger impact on gaming. Utter nonsense.
I'd say it's more about treating the other companies with a degree of respect. It slightly feels as if the other comanies have been insulted, as if they aren't being treated with the same honor.

By that, I mean it sort of degrades the other third parties by questioning, "Why can't this third party have X?" For example, why should Namco have items, when the other third parties don't have any? Both Mega Man and Sonic have delveloped a large arsonal of power ups and items, so why should Namco be the only one who does? We even have a functioning Mega Tank in Smash Tour, so what's the excuse?

Admittedly, the whole thing feels like a very "back-room deal" kind of situation, where someone gave the other side a big money pile to benefit themselves. So again I ask, "Why should Capcom get two charaters, when the other third parties have close to equaly iconic charaters that can offer similar amounts of interesting movesets?"

Namco, being one of the definitive Retro gaming series, has many series that while not quite on the same level as Pac-Man, are still fairly recognizable, such as Dig Dug (and its successor/spinoff, Mr. Driller) which as been active up untill at least 2009, and Digemon, still in mind as a competitor for Pokemon.

Sega also as a collection of well received titles. Even ignoring for a moment the Sonic Franchise, Sega still owns the rights to reasonably big names such as still running Puyo Puyo/Puyo Pop (big enough to have an event televised), or the famous cult hit that was NiGHTS, which even Shigeru Miyamoto admits to saying, "If there's one game I regret never creating, it was "NiGHTS."

I'll skip over Komami, as that's been talked to death, but my point still stands. With no indication that any of these are going to be coming, it feels as if they are going to be as if the other companies are being mistreated.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
wait, there's a sequel to TTYD?

ah....ok I got the joke, 2000.....lol.

Honestly, first, idk why would you even expect a sequel to TTYD with there isn't much need to do it, but spm just bring so much stuff to the series....the stories and humor as well as the new cubic design.

Also, most of the games are TTYD or TTYD inspired assets....

Btw, you indeed should play it and I hope they will release that game on VC, can't wait....
I saw it in ONM and thought it looked cool. Should borrow a friend's copy or watch Chuggaa's LP

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I saw it in ONM and thought it looked cool. Should borrow a friend's copy or watch Chuggaa's LP
Don;t watch lp.....the plot can get a bit emotional and deep, you have to play it by yourself.....

Not to mention not having commentary makes it better.

This game has the reputation to have the darkest plot in the series and a lot claim it is the darkest out of all mario games....which I think it might be the case.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Always wanted to play that actually, it got flak for not being 2000 year door, but was still good iirc
The gameplay change feels jarring coming from TTYD, but it's certainly a good game in its own right.

Partners instead of Pixls would have helped its general reputation though.

:231:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The gameplay change feels jarring coming from TTYD, but it's certainly a good game in its own right.

Partners instead of Pixls would have helped its general reputation though.

:231:
well, spm does have more flaws and they are more noticeable.

But seriously, I don't get when people say that this game isn't living to the standards of the series, it does and it does it well.

I mean c'mon, this music is a
example:

:)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If only Super Paper Mario was more loved.....

:crying:
I loved Super Paper Mario! It was challenging, but not too hard like other games in the series (I'm looking at you Sticker Star). Also, it was really funny. I like funny things.
What I don't like is Paper Mario: Sticker Star. For one thing, my sticker book is filled with stickers I don't want to use on regular enemies, and for another things became too hard for me to find right after world 1. (And I think I world 3 glitched. I cant find the last Wiggler segment.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I loved Super Paper Mario! It was challenging, but not too hard like other games in the series (I'm looking at you Sticker Star). Also, it was really funny. I like funny things.
What I don't like is Paper Mario: Sticker Star. For one thing, my sticker book is filled with stickers I don't want to use on regular enemies, and for another things became too hard for me to find right after world 1. (And I think I world 3 glitched. I cant find the last Wiggler segment.)
SS wasn't hard iirc as bosses could be OHKo-ed with a certain sticker and fights could be avoided

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I actually found spm WAY TOO EASY, the bosses were a joke, this includes the final one, but it's obvious that there's other stuff that overshadowed that.

SS, the main problem is HOW these decisions were made.

Like, if anyone haven't read the Iwata ask, but claim to love spm especially the story....you might be upset after you read this:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Note, you really could be upset.

If you don;t want to read, the only thing I'm going to tell you is IS originally never wanted this to happen and wanted a back to root game. Myamoto for unknown reasons refused and so the project has been delayed which is why the release cycle is so long here. Also, according to a club nintendo survey, people didn't care about the spm story so the game simply didn;t have much efforts. Myamoto also wanted to have not much original characters and mostly use smw one.

The partners were cut because it didn;t mat with the new idea.

In the end, I'm not even sure if it's an rpg.

Basically, this game has been made due to fans communications issues, IS never wanted this to happen.

This is why I honestly and legitimately understand and agree to the SS hate.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If only Super Paper Mario was more loved.....

:crying:
Loved every second of it. But it had too big shoes to fill after TTYD.

The only Paper Mario game I haven't played is the N64 one, and IIRC that's coming to VC soon so I'll get it then.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Loved every second of it. But it had too big shoes to fill after TTYD.

The only Paper Mario game I haven't played is the N64 one, and IIRC that's coming to VC soon so I'll get it then.
pm64 is honestly TTYD, but TTYD simply enhanced pm64 as it's the most polished it could get.

But pm64 still has unique stuff to the series. It is by far the most calm game in the series especially with the music. It's very different from the dynamic atmosphere of TTYD.

I mean, anyone gets nostalgic on this?

It;s just fun to hear this :)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I actually found spm WAY TOO EASY, the bosses were a joke, this includes the final one, but it's obvious that there's other stuff that overshadowed that.

SS, the main problem is HOW these decisions were made.

Like, if anyone haven't read the Iwata ask, but claim to love spm especially the story....you might be upset after you read this:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Note, you really could be upset.

If you don;t want to read, the only thing I'm going to tell you is IS originally never wanted this to happen and wanted a back to root game. Myamoto for unknown reasons refused and so the project has been delayed which is why the release cycle is so long here. Also, according to a club nintendo survey, people didn't care about the spm story so the game simply didn;t have much efforts. Myamoto also wanted to have not much original characters and mostly use smw one.

The partners were cut because it didn;t mat with the new idea.

In the end, I'm not even sure if it's an rpg.

Basically, this game has been made due to fans communications issues, IS never wanted this to happen.

This is why I honestly and legitimately understand and agree to the SS hate.
The final boss to Super Paper Mario was not easy! I had to hide under Peach's parasol the whole fight so I didn't die. (Or is that why you thought it was easy?)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The final boss to Super Paper Mario was not easy! I had to hide under Peach's parasol the whole fight so I didn't die. (Or is that why you thought it was easy?)
no no no.....it was a joke.

I was with Paper Mario and you simply had to climb and do the most jump in a row, carrie helps, but the only thing is you avoid attacks as you loose carrie if you get any damage.

Not to mention that I finished it with a shooting star....

Seriously, I have a save loaded on an emulator and I realised it was indeed way too easy.

I heard that if you use bowser + carrie, it's broken.

every bosses were a joke.....it was just like it.

This is from someone who suck at nsmb and smw....

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
btw, I actually forgot to tell you, but did you know that if you hold the 2 button right when you stomp an enemy, you bounce higher?

This is why that boss was easy btw.....

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The OG: Fantasic, at the time, this was among my favorite games and it was definitely my favorite Mario game. The story, the music, the character designs, the maps, the gameplay. The game is almost flawless, however, I didn't like that there wasn't a post game. So I had to travel all the way back to continue my search for all the badges and whatevs.

TTYD: Look at the above but with improvements towards everything. This is, by FAR, my favorite Mario game. Everything from the gameplay to the dialogue was nearly perfect IMO.

Super Paper Mario: Not going to lie, I was very disappointed with the gameplay change. Yes, I love the game and it's an excellent RPG-Platformer, but I loved Paper Mario the way it was. I would've rather had an expansion to the core gameplay. Still it's a solid game, and even had a fantastic story as well as dialogue.

Sticker Star: By far the worst, but I'm not going to say that I hated it. I enjoyed playing the game, but due to it being a Paper Mario game, I was constantly reminded how much they removed. I think as a game on it's own, it's decent, but if you compare it to it's prequels, it's shallow...

... Paper Mario for Smash!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
btw, I actually forgot to tell you, but did you know that if you hold the 2 button right when you stomp an enemy, you bounce higher?

This is why that boss was easy btw.....
Whatever. I had an intense fight with Peach and her invulnerability, and found it rewarding when I won. Also, I had fun, which is all that counts.

Am I the only one who can't figure anything out in Sticker Star?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Whatever. I had an intense fight with Peach and her invulnerability, and found it rewarding when I won. Also, I had fun, which is all that counts.

Am I the only one who can't figure anything out in Sticker Star?
I even heard reviewers had to call another one because some were stuck.

I honestly came to the conclusion that SS was likely rushed.....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I noticed the Nightmare support thread is locked. Why is that? After Ryu, I think Nightmare would be a great choice for second Namco rep. Final Destination has a Soul Calibur'ish look to it anyways so it could be his home-stage.
PM me the link. I'll open it for you.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I personally hate RPGs. They're really not for me. I made an exception for The Thousand Year Door though, and it's still in my top ten video games of all time. That's how good that game is.

(okay I also made an exception for Pokemon, but their lovable designs hooked me in. Abra so cute.)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I personally hate RPGs. They're really not for me. I made an exception for The Thousand Year Door though, and it's still in my top ten video games of all time. That's how good that game is.

(okay I also made an exception for Pokemon, but their lovable designs hooked me in. Abra so cute.)
I typically don't like RPGs (as broad a term as it is), but Mother 3 is in my personal top 5 games of all times.

A masterpiece and makes me glad Lucas is back. No crying till the end.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

The thing with TTYD is it;s the game that I could never ever be mad while playing it. It just impossible and it's even more the case than super mario sunshine which is the first game I expereinced that feels, TTYD is the only game that beat the feel for me.

And you have to get one thing, RPG has to have a repetitive battle process for the exp. TTYD is actually the only game that I ENJOYED this because I didn't even care it was repeptitive, I WANTED it because it makes me so joyful.

Also, I could say the same about spm, I suck at 2d mario platformer, except spm....loved it.
Paper Mario>Super Mario RPG all day everyday
Altough I agree, you kinda have to give a bit of credits for smrpg, because if that game didn't exist, so is Paper Mario.

QWhich is why I think it's sad that smrpg doesn;t get at least trophy in smash, but I don't think it is about to change.

The OG: Fantasic, at the time, this was among my favorite games and it was definitely my favorite Mario game. The story, the music, the character designs, the maps, the gameplay. The game is almost flawless, however, I didn't like that there wasn't a post game. So I had to travel all the way back to continue my search for all the badges and whatevs.

TTYD: Look at the above but with improvements towards everything. This is, by FAR, my favorite Mario game. Everything from the gameplay to the dialogue was nearly perfect IMO.

Super Paper Mario: Not going to lie, I was very disappointed with the gameplay change. Yes, I love the game and it's an excellent RPG-Platformer, but I loved Paper Mario the way it was. I would've rather had an expansion to the core gameplay. Still it's a solid game, and even had a fantastic story as well as dialogue.

Sticker Star: By far the worst, but I'm not going to say that I hated it. I enjoyed playing the game, but due to it being a Paper Mario game, I was constantly reminded how much they removed. I think as a game on it's own, it's decent, but if you compare it to it's prequels, it's shallow...

... Paper Mario for Smash!
I honestly wasn't disappointed by spm much because I thought the gameplay idea was genius, but TTYD seriously, it';s hard to find flaws.

Here's the one I managed to find:

The punies can be a bit annoying at times and you can even glitch them....

The general white hunt for most people jsut sucks.

The battles are a bit easy, I would even say the final boss is easy. You can yourself put challenges, but I had the idea of IS putting a post game hard mode...that could be cool.

The game crashes if you try to trigger the doopliss 2 cs without vivian. Btw, it's very hard to crash this game without really messing hard.

The ultra hammer chest is EVIL!!! I hate it and you should too (this is a very long story I had with glitch hunting, I hate this damm chest).

Now, the problem is that these are just so minimal that i honestly think most people didn;t care for these. Except the first 2 and again.....it's so minimal.

What I'm trying to tell is TTYD isn't perfect, but is very close to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom