• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I dislike SMG personally but that's me
I wasn't a huge fan of it myself, but on the Wii, it was one of the best titles.They put a lot of effort into it, especially the soundtrack.

I feel like any gamer, even if they don't Street Fighter, should know who Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, and Akuma are. So now you do.
Also, speaking of Ryu and Ken, I really hope that Ken is an alt for Ryu if he's in. It just feels weird having Ryu as the sole SF rep in any crossover.
I hope Ken is an alt as well. While custom moves appear to be shaky for DLC characters, I'd love to see a set for Ken's versions of the moves. I prefer Ken over Ryu, more personality.

Akuma is too bad*** for Smash I guess lol. :p

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I was playing Melee with a friend, and just noticed this.

Zelda hasn't had a new rep since Melee. What the hell, Sakurai?

It's the third biggest Nintendo Franchise and it never got a new rep in last 14 years

I know what you're thinking "but what about :4tlink:? Let's be real he's pretty much a reskinned :younglinkmelee:. I can't count a character who's pretty much the same thing but in a new style

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

It's the third biggest Nintendo Franchise and it never got a new rep in last 14 years

I know what you're thinking "but what about :4tlink:? Let's be real he's pretty much a reskinned :younglinkmelee:. I can't count a character who's pretty much the same thing but in a new style
I honestly don;t see much subset that would be worth the addition currently. It's not the fact that it's a zelda rep btw, you don't want just the character, but you want his subset reflected by a certain character. I just think that the zelda series being kinda straight....it's hard to find something that could worth the addition.

Vaati could....but it's quite deep. Impa, I have yet to know however.....

Tingle I would say the same for vaati, he could, but I think it's getting a bit too deep.

EDIT: please, end your spoiler tag properly....

Last edited:

mostly because zelda has very few if any recurring characters.

Impa is a reocurring name but certainly not a repeating themed character like the others
tingle is . . .tingle
ganon is a final smash

EDIT close your darn spoilers!

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

The problem with Zelda is that there's basically only three really important reoccuring characters, them being Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf).

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
mostly because zelda has very few if any recurring characters.

Impa is a reocurring name but certainly not a repeating themed character like the others
tingle is . . .tingle
ganon is a final smash
EDIT close your darn spoilers!
To be fair, Tingle is popular enough in Japan to get THREE of his own games and Ganon has various different forms with different weaponry and abilities that have been present over the years. The fact that the final smash itself is specifically called "Beast Ganon" already is a differentiation in and of itself :p

Impa's popularity lingers namely due to Hyrule Warriors giving her a samurai overhaul.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Zelda may not have gotten a new character this time, but it got a lot of other content.

3 new Assist Trophies, 5 new items, 3 new stages (1 on Wii U, 2 on 3DS), and has a whole bunch of enemies in Smash Run.

Honestly, I think the series has gotten a good amount of love this time around, even if no new character was added.

Zelda does have a lot of potential characters, most of which are Assist Trophies already, but I think the combination of some of them being one-offs AND more secondary doesn't help their chances.

For example, you have one-offs like Robin, Shulk or Lucas, but they happen to be protagonists in their own games, which helps. It also may be a factor that their series have shifting character casts and settings for each installment.

Secondary characters like Rosalina or Bowser Jr. have recurring roles in their series to help their inclusion. Tingle fits this, but I'd guess Sakurai may be against his inclusion given how divisive the character is outside of Japan. I merely speculate, but considering he's skipped over characters due to being unknown in the West (such as Takamaru), it wouldn't be unreasonable.

The only characters that are secondary and are one-offs in Smash happen to be none other than Lucina and Dark Pit, who only got in because of their sheer similarities to Marth and Pit and were originally meant to be alt choices. I think this should say a lot on how characters are picked. Another other exception would be Sheik... But Sheik is Zelda and had the transformation thing going for her before they were removed in Smash 4.

All in all, the grand majority of characters in Smash are protagonists and/or have recurring roles in their series (including sidekicks, villains or damsels-in-distress). The sole exceptions are, as mentioned, Sheik, Lucina and Dark Pit, who had special circumstances in their inclusion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only Legend of Zelda characters we could get are:
Ganon (I don't care what you say he is possible)
Hyrule Warriors Impa
(Insert Giant Cucco your favorite Hyrule Warriors character here.)
Tingle (He could join but it would be odd to say the least.)
Young Link (If can have Marth, Roy and Lucina in the same game I don't see any reason for us not to get Young Link)

(Note: I have nothing against Marth, Roy, or Lucina, but they are clones of each other. I belive if we have three characters that more or less differ because of hitbox placement, than we can have three charcters that are as different as Marth, Roy, and Lucina are.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Zelda may not have gotten a new character this time, but it got a lot of other content.

3 new Assist Trophies, 5 new items, 3 new stages (1 on Wii U, 2 on 3DS), and has a whole bunch of enemies in Smash Run.

Honestly, I think the series has gotten a good amount of love this time around, even if no new character was added.

Zelda does have a lot of potential characters, most of which are Assist Trophies already, but I think the combination of some of them being one-offs AND more secondary doesn't help their chances.

For example, you have one-offs like Robin, Shulk or Lucas, but they happen to be protagonists in their own games, which helps. It also may be a factor that their series have shifting character casts and settings for each installment.

Secondary characters like Rosalina or Bowser Jr. have recurring roles in their series to help their inclusion. Tingle fits this, but I'd guess Sakurai may be against his inclusion given how divisive the character is outside of Japan. I merely speculate, but considering he's skipped over characters due to being unknown in the West (such as Takamaru), it wouldn't be unreasonable.

The only characters that are secondary and are one-offs in Smash happen to be none other than Lucina and Dark Pit, who only got in because of their sheer similarities to Marth and Pit and were originally meant to be alt choices. I think this should say a lot on how characters are picked. Another other exception would be Sheik... But Sheik is Zelda and had the transformation thing going for her before they were removed in Smash 4.

All in all, the grand majority of characters in Smash are protagonists and/or have recurring roles in their series (including sidekicks, villains or damsels-in-distress). The sole exceptions are, as mentioned, Sheik, Lucina and Dark Pit, who had special circumstances in their inclusion.
Thank you for explaining what I've tried to a number of times. Basically, there are 3 to 5 characters on that level of "importance" and "perseverance," For Zelda as a series.

1) Impa - Surged in popularity recently due to her Ninja usage in Skyward Sword and Samurai version within Hyrule Warriors. However, considering that she has many if not more appearances as the old nurse or nanny for Zelda than the Sheikah fighter and uncertain future usage could have hampered on her chances.

2) Tingle - Slightly disturbing and absolutely HAMAZING~! The man cursed into the green leotard embued with the spirit of greed (which is CANON BACKSTORY for Tingle in his own games) has a bit less direct importance than Impa but ironically more lasting popularity in Japan despite being a fairly hated character for his quirkiness in other regions. The fact that he GOT spin-off games alone should say something.

3) Ganon - The WizPig. Just as the blue orc-like final boss with the trident of power, he's present in Zelda 1, LttP, Link's Awakening (as a form of Nightmare), the Oracles Games (if linked), Four Swords Adventures, and Link Between Worlds. The crux villain.

4) Tetra - A major key for Wind Waker demoted to Damsel in Distress for Phantom Hourglass. Pirate. Y'argh. Likely was going to be the other half of "Toon Zelda" from the Forbidden 7.

5) Vaati - Final Boss of Minish Cap, the "sub-game" of Four Swords, and then finally in Four Swords Adventures before the true final boss fight is stolen by Ganon. See @ScatmansWorld25 for more information.

Edit: Also, I'm thinking about making a moveset for Waluigi just to test creativity, anyone up to see what could be done off the grounds for Smash 5?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Something something Zelda characters something something Happy Mask Salesman.

No one cares about him.
Still a better idea than bringing Young Link (AKA Link 3.0) back in the game. :troll:

Happy Mask Saleman is Love, Happy Mask Salesman is Life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

By this logic, Dr. Mario doesn't count as a newcomer in Melee. Also, who else aside from Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf that can come close to the importance that these three characters have to the franchise? Zelda is fine with characters plus as Frostwraith said, it got a lot of new content this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Oh please. There's plenty of Zelda characters to choose from. I'd argue Shiek isn't that important but it doesn't matter does it? Tink isn't either, but that's largely due to him being a clone.

There's main game/ reccuring ones:

Impa - yea she has different looks all the time and sometimes young other times old, but it's not like Zelda or Falcondorf ever had different looks in Smash than the TP one . Very significant and important character that I can't believe

Masked Link - Yes, another Link. At least this would be vastly more unique. Have his specials be completely new aside from maybe the bow and spin attack, but change those as well slightly so for example, make his arrows slower and have fire like Young Link.(Masked is pretty much Young link but with a MUCH better name).

For standard attacks.....probably best to have new ones too. Similar to Young Link in Hyrule Warriors, he would use his sword with two hands. The PERFECT evolution of Tink/Yink. (I'd like Tink to stay, just to rep the cel-shaded Zelda's.

Ganondorf - Would kinda count if they made a moveset worthy of the dark lord. **** those Falcon moves and give him actual Ganondorf/Ganon moves!!!!!! Or at the very list.......change his specials and make him a semi-clone.

Then there's the Secondary/Supporting characters.....
  • Ghirahim
  • Midna
  • Twili Midna
  • Fi...
  • HEY! LISTEN!
  • Vaati
  • Hilda (better than Tetra!)
  • Great Fairy - pretty iconic and just imagine the Powers.
  • Cia
  • Lana
Granted, most will never join but shows the selection.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh please. There's plenty of Zelda characters to choose from. I'd argue Shiek isn't that important but it doesn't matter does it? Tink isn't either, but that's largely due to him being a clone.

There's main game/ reccuring ones:

Impa - yea she has different looks all the time and sometimes young other times old, but it's not like Zelda or Falcondorf ever had different looks in Smash than the TP one . Very significant and important character that I can't believe

Masked Link - Yes, another Link. At least this would be vastly more unique. Have his specials be completely new aside from maybe the bow and spin attack, but change those as well slightly so for example, make his arrows slower and have fire like Young Link.(Masked is pretty much Young link but with a MUCH better name).

For standard attacks.....probably best to have new ones too. Similar to Young Link in Hyrule Warriors, he would use his sword with two hands. The PERFECT evolution of Tink/Yink. (I'd like Tink to stay, just to rep the cel-shaded Zelda's.

Ganondorf - Would kinda count if they made a moveset worthy of the dark lord. **** those Falcon moves and give him actual Ganondorf/Ganon moves!!!!!! Or at the very list.......change his specials and make him a semi-clone.

Then there's the Secondary/Supporting characters.....
  • Ghirahim
  • Midna
  • Twili Midna
  • Fi...
  • HEY! LISTEN!
  • Vaati
  • Hilda (better than Tetra!)
  • Great Fairy - pretty iconic and just imagine the Powers.
  • Cia
  • Lana
Granted, most will never join but shows the selection.
All of whom are one-offs from a single game, or appear in obscure games (Vaati). Lana is probably the WORST suggestion, being that she's not even from an actual Zelda game. No idea what the licensing is, but regardless, even if she is 100% owned by Nintendo (which we don't know; look at Geno as an example), she'll never be playable in Smash Bros.

The Great Fairies also never look alike from game to game and would never realistically be considered.

The only way we're getting a new Zelda character is if they add Ganon, or Nintendo starts making major Zelda characters appear in more games. And until they make Ganondorf use actual attacks he uses in the games I doubt we'll get Ganon, either.

Missed the first section. Look, we won't get Young Link with masks. Its simply not going to happen. Impa, I'll give, but she doesn't really have a defined style in the Zelda games, and there's no way she'll be based on Hyrule Warriors. They made up movesets for her in Hyrule Warriors for good reason.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd say it's more about treating the other companies with a degree of respect. It slightly feels as if the other comanies have been insulted, as if they aren't being treated with the same honor.

I don't see where the other companies have been insulted. The simple fact is their characters aren't on the same level and shouldn't get in just because they are the next most iconic thing from their company.

By that, I mean it sort of degrades the other third parties by questioning, "Why can't this third party have X?" For example, why should Namco have items, when the other third parties don't have any? Both Mega Man and Sonic have delveloped a large arsonal of power ups and items, so why should Namco be the only one who does? We even have a functioning Mega Tank in Smash Tour, so what's the excuse?

I have not played Mega Man so can't really argue this; though I thought the powerups were implemented into his moveset. As for Sonic, there isn't anything from those games I can remember having that much potential that isn't already used by another item in the game. The Speed Shoes, Shield and Invincibility are the main ones and Speed Shoes/Invincibility have the Bunny Hood and Star as pre-existing items with those functions already.

Admittedly, the whole thing feels like a very "back-room deal" kind of situation, where someone gave the other side a big money pile to benefit themselves. So again I ask, "Why should Capcom get two charaters, when the other third parties have close to equaly iconic charaters that can offer similar amounts of interesting movesets?"

Namco, being one of the definitive Retro gaming series, has many series that while not quite on the same level as Pac-Man, are still fairly recognizable, such as Dig Dug (and its successor/spinoff, Mr. Driller) which as been active up untill at least 2009, and Digemon, still in mind as a competitor for Pokemon.

Sega also as a collection of well received titles. Even ignoring for a moment the Sonic Franchise, Sega still owns the rights to reasonably big names such as still running Puyo Puyo/Puyo Pop (big enough to have an event televised), or the famous cult hit that was NiGHTS, which even Shigeru Miyamoto admits to saying, "If there's one game I regret never creating, it was "NiGHTS."

Because the other third parties do not have close to equally iconic characters.

SEGA has Sonic at that level, but that's it. If you want to argue for another Sonic character then go ahead, but it's difficult to argue that they'd be more interesting than getting a whole new series represented. Puyo Puyo is a puzzle game and has no serious moveset potential. NiGHTS, as you said, is a cult hit. It is nowhere near the level of Street Fighter, regardless of how good a game it is.

As for Namco, I'd say Galaga is on the level but has no moveset potential (If it did, I'd wager we'd have seen something from Space Invaders by now). Dig Dug is not on the same level. I don't think Digimon was ever a competitor for Pokemon in the same way e.g. Sonic was to Mario, and I don't think it's on the same level as Street Fighter.

It's interesting that you've not looked too much into console releases. Tekken is, for example, much more difficult to argue given that it has actually sold more on consoles than Street Fighter, though does not have the arcade legacy.

I'll skip over Komami, as that's been talked to death, but my point still stands. With no indication that any of these are going to be coming, it feels as if they are going to be as if the other companies are being mistreated.

Konami is the only franchise that, between Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, feels truly appropriate to even have this conversation about though.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
All of whom are one-offs from a single game, or appear in obscure games (Vaati). Lana is probably the WORST suggestion, being that she's not even from an actual Zelda game. No idea what the licensing is, but regardless, even if she is 100% owned by Nintendo (which we don't know; look at Geno as an example), she'll never be playable in Smash Bros.

The Great Fairies also never look alike from game to game and would never realistically be considered.

The only way we're getting a new Zelda character is if they add Ganon, or Nintendo starts making major Zelda characters appear in more games. And until they make Ganondorf use actual attacks he uses in the games I doubt we'll get Ganon, either.

Missed the first section. Look, we won't get Young Link with masks. Its simply not going to happen. Impa, I'll give, but she doesn't really have a defined style in the Zelda games, and there's no way she'll be based on Hyrule Warriors. They made up movesets for her in Hyrule Warriors for good reason.
Impa.
Pretty sure most of Shieks moveset and many characters movesets were made up in smash.
Her appearing differently across games means NOTHING.

NOOOOTHHHHIIIIIIINNNNNGGG. For obvious self-explanatory reasons brought to us by common sense.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In terms of third-parties, the only ones I really want aren't nearly of the same caliber as the ones currently in the roster. They've got a close connection to Nintendo, mind you, which may at least prove to be a favourable advantage.

Honestly, there's no "big-name" third-party that I'm dying to see. I'm more interested in other Ninty characters.

mark welford

Smash Ace
FIRST PARTY choices have stunned people due to some of the series that Sakurai has pulled out in terms of series being effectively dead when Sakurai pulls them out or something like that.
But when Sakurai has firmly stated his grounds for third parties this time around being chosen due to the legacy behind them, :4pacman: Gaming's Forefather, :4sonic: 2Fast4Nintendo, and :4megaman:JUMP 'N' SHOOT MAN certainly have this. Ryu as the face of the fighting game genre certainly fits this. :snake: at least is one of the most famous series that is still the one that people cite most for a relation to any game or section that relates to Stealth. Klonoa isn't near this calibur nor, in my opinion, of the Tales of and Tekken series that are the forerunners for a big second namco-bandai series.

TL;DR: Sakurai's made some shocking and rarely questionable choices on who gets in to be a representative for Smash. But the most controversy over a THIRD PARTY character has been not of the merit of the character but of the lack of Nintendo history. Klonoa's last original title was almost a decade ago without the lasting popularity of two significantly larger N-B series.. :snake: was a personal favor coated in the excuses of the series having roots on the NES and Twin Snakes being released on the Gamecube in recent memory during development of Brawl which had a different set of rules.
I'm sticking to what I said and my opinion and your opinion are like 2 sides of a coin I personally think he would make a great character he has moveset potential no matter his irrelevancy, standards not being like that of Ryu and whoever else. This argument is really pointless because we are both standing firm in our opinions and I know you are stating facts but facts are not everything when it comes down to it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm sticking to what I said and my opinion and your opinion are like 2 sides of a coin I personally think he would make a great character he has moveset potential no matter his irrelevancy, standards not being like that of Ryu and whoever else. This argument is really pointless because we are both standing firm in our opinions and I know you are stating facts but facts are not everything when it comes down to it.
I don't care much about the legacy. I agree whole heartidly with your previous points in the argument being both. I just had to do some divine intervention.

The ONLY 3rd party 'legacy' or 'in that caliber' or whatever people call it which relate to me are: Pac-Man and um.Just him actually.

So I couldn't care less. (okay Rayman too as second place but obviously to near Pacman/Mario level.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
By this logic, Dr. Mario doesn't count as a newcomer in Melee. Also, who else aside from Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf that can come close to the importance that these three characters have to the franchise? Zelda is fine with characters plus as Frostwraith said, it got a lot of new content this game.
Zelda isn't fine on characters until it's main antagonist isn't represented by Black Shadow.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa.
Pretty sure most of Shieks moveset and many characters movesets were made up in smash.
Her appearing differently across games means NOTHING.

NOOOOTHHHHIIIIIIINNNNNGGG. For obvious self-explanatory reasons brought to us by common sense.
Sheik was based on a concept, that being of a ninja. Guess who shares that exact same concept in her two biggest appearances?

Yeah, I can see Impa getting added. But without additional development to her character, the best I can see them giving her is a Sheik clone moveset. They'll still try and stay true to her character as best as they can. In the case of Impa, that'll be a ninja. Which Sheik already uses.

Zelda isn't fine on characters until it's main antagonist isn't represented by Black Shadow.
Which will never happen at this rate. (Though to be fair, Black Shadow's concept is a blank slate. A slightly modified Ganondorf moveset could work for Black Shadow, but Black Shadow is as much of a blank slate as Captain Falcon was.)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Sheik was based on a concept, that being of a ninja. Guess who shares that exact same concept in her two biggest appearances?

Yeah, I can see Impa getting added. But without additional development to her character, the best I can see them giving her is a Sheik clone moveset. They'll still try and stay true to her character as best as they can. In the case of Impa, that'll be a ninja. Which Sheik already uses.

Which will never happen at this rate. (Though to be fair, Black Shadow's concept is a blank slate. A slightly modified Ganondorf moveset could work for Black Shadow, but Black Shadow is as much of a blank slate as Captain Falcon was.)
lol #id

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Am I the only one who:
1. is a Zelda fan (played all games except two)
2. considers Ganondorf one of his favorite villains in fiction

... and doesn't give a **** about Ganondorf's moveset?

Sure, a sword and magic projectiles would be great and all, but frankly, I'm satisfied enough to have the opportunity to play as Ganondorf in the first place.

(And in fact, he does have moves taken from or inspired by the Zelda series, as this video explains.)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Am I the only one who:

Sure, a sword and magic projectiles would be great and all, but frankly, I'm satisfied enough to have the opportunity to play as Ganondorf in the first place.

(And in fact, he does have moves taken from or inspired by the Zelda series, as this video explains.)
I agree with this.

I think he feels suitably Ganonesque.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who:

The Demon King raised up by twin witchy sisters who possesses the relic of divine blessing that encompasses pure power? The Warlock Bruiser that ThunderCougarFalcondorf is ALWAYS felt amazing for me as a fit for him. Sure, Project M did the neutral B change into a hover and cape volley and changed the sword taunt into a warlock punch-like uber move. But honestly... that may fit the CHARACTER a little better based on an aspect of his fight in OoT (taken from Agahnim), and the sword fight TP, but neither change really felt like it fit him as a FIGHTER in my eyes.

Everyone remembers the OoT fight for the Dead Man's Volley but not how Ganondorf slammed himself fist first into the ground to break apart his inner chamber.

Everyone thinks about the Ganondorf fight in Twilight Princess and remembers the Epona horse-back sniping and the climatic duel but not the terror of how Ganondorf came up over the hill with the helm of Midna after she went full Twili octopus rage on him, or how you spent the horseback fight FLEEING from him trying to stun him long enough to chip him away, or the fact that Ganondorf was a GIANT compared to you in the duel. I proudly use my Manondorf and don't want him to change!

Ganondorf is TAKING A KNEE and still looms over you as the king of power that has become a demi-god.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom