• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Gannondorf's Ledge attack is a backhand too.
If you were to give him speed in exchange for power, he would be like your average heavyweight fighter. He wouldn't be unique.
He'd be Bowser without the super armor.

I didn't like how slow Ganondorf was (because of my really bad rushdown playstyle.) so I made his custom have all speed. I think I made him broken lol.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was unaware that unique meant "hardly viable at all."
Learn to play as him. He's far more viable in this game than people give him credit for.

If we were talking about Brawl, I'd agree, but as soon as I started playing as Ganondorf in Smash 3DS, I've noticed he's far more viable than before.

I play as Ganondorf regularly (hell, he's my most played character) and I've seen videos of impressive feats done with him.

And I'm not even a competitive player, nor do I care about tourneys and whatnot.

Isn't him being a clone of Falcon already not unique in the first place? Come on.
His gameplay style is undeniably unique, regardless of his semi-clone status.

Or how about at the start of most games where he has no sword at all.
If you even paid attention to the CONTEXT of this very conversation, you wouldn't be spouting such absurd nonsense and I'd take you more seriously.

Link always uses a sword to fight. We're talking about Smash Bros., you know, a fighting game.

Ganondorf doesn't always uses a sword to fight. He has fought unarmed before, both as Ganondorf and Ganon.

The main point isn't even about Ganondorf having a sword, but actually feeling like Ganondorf.
Subjective, as I think Ganondorf already feels like Ganondorf. Though I do think that more work can still be put on him to make him stand out more.

Mind that I played all Zelda games except two.

What if we took away all of Link's tools, no bombs, no arrow, but he still uses a sword right? Ganondorf uses nothing from the games besides vaguely similar punches and kicks that are just that, vaguely similar. A projectile would be something at least.
And I did say I advocate for Ganondorf having a projectile. It's the one move that is really iconic to him and he doesn't have in Smash.

Plus, it would benefit his gameplay a lot, as he could hit foes from a distance, something that would improve his viability a lot.

Last edited:

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Just give Ganondorf Dead Mans Volley, (although maybe without the volley part), and I would be satisfied with his moveset.

I wouldn't say no a few extra tweaks though.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd change his neutral b too. Double tapping it makes him throw out a projectile that can be reflected by any attack with knockback, and holding it all the way makes him draw his sword. That way, you can play as OG smash ganon and his more game accurate attacks.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If you even paid attention to the CONTEXT of this very conversation, you wouldn't be spouting such absurd nonsense and I'd take you more seriously.
Condescending much?
Link always uses a sword to fight. We're talking about Smash Bros., you know, a fighting game.

Ganondorf doesn't always uses a sword to fight. He has fought unarmed before, both as Ganondorf and Ganon.
You're quick to point out that Ganondorf has only ever been in so many sword duels, but give me a single instance where he's gotten into a fist fight, and I don't mean a single punch thrown out in some cutscene.

Link always uses a sword to fight, and Ganondorf never runs around like he's in Street Fighter. You talk about me missing the context but you're moving to extremes, I never said Ganondorf always uses a sword like Link, I merely pointed out that Link not doing anything from his games wouldn't be right, just like it is with Ganondorf currently. It's not all about the sword.
Subjective, as I think Ganondorf already feels like Ganondorf.

Mind that I played all Zelda games except two.
Everything is subjective, but you can't really argue that any of his current moves are from Zelda games, it's not true.
And I did say I advocate for Ganondorf having a projectile. It's the one move that is really iconic to him and he doesn't have in Smash.

Plus, it would benefit his gameplay a lot, as he could hit foes from a distance, something that would improve his viability a lot.
I agree with you here, at least. This is my one major gripe other than his lack of mobility.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Everything is subjective, but you can't really argue that any of his current moves are from Zelda games, it's not true.
F-air, f-tilt, Flame Choke and arguably Warlock Blade are directly inspired by moves he uses in canon. The rest are either reskins of Cap's or are improvised to seem Ganonesque.

I agree with you here, at least. This is my one major gripe other than his lack of mobility.
I've always imagined Dead Man's Volley as a replacement for Warlock Punch: it has the same basic effect, but instead of acting as a close-range strike, it releases a ball of magic that can be knocked back and forth.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've always imagined Dead Man's Volley as a replacement for Warlock Punch: it has the same basic effect, but instead of acting as a close-range strike, it releases a ball of magic that can be knocked back and forth.
Ah, so that's what that is. My friend simply called it "Power Ball Tennis", so I had no clue what you guys were talking about.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You're quick to point out that Ganondorf has only ever been in so many sword duels, but give me a single instance where he's gotten into a fist fight, and I don't mean a single punch thrown out in some cutscene.
Thing is, Ganondorf never has a consistent fighting style.

In Ocarina of Time, he uses magic. Wind Waker has him fight with two katanas. Twilight Princess has him use the sword he stole from the sages.

Then there's Ganon who uses magic and, sometimes, a trident in most games, but in Twilight Princess, he is a quadrupedal beast who rams everything in its path and teleports around, something that is faithfully recreated in his Final Smash.

Contrast with Link who always uses a sword to fight as well as the other items.

That's my point.

Yes, he doesn't fist fight, but that can't really contradict the source material, because he doesn't have a trademark fighting style to begin with, though all of them do employ magic and sheer physical strength, which is true for Smash as well.

As @ Wintropy Wintropy stated: forward tilt, forward aerial and Flame Choke are, in fact, taken from source material.

The mere fact a good chunk of his moves, cloned or not, have darkness or electrical proprieties is something taken from source material. The moves themselves may not be taken from the games, but the concept of him using those magical elements in a fight is undeniably in-character and shows that he has magical abilities.

Same goes for the Final Smash, which is faithful to the Ganon boss battle from Twilight Princess. He rams the opponents and warps back to where he first executed the move, employing his two capabilities from that game.

His battle entrance is him entering the battle through a dark portal, reminiscent of how Phantom Ganon pops out from the paintings in his boss battle in Ocarina of Time. Koume and Kotake also open a similar portal when kidnapping Nabooru in Ocarina of Time. In Wind Waker, you find out he used a dark portal to find his way into the surface world.

One of his win poses and taunts is him doing his trademark evil laugh, another very iconic aspect of Ganondorf.

It's not much and he could have more moves directly taken from the series (especially a projectile, which pretty much everyone can agree on), but it's actually more than what Captain Falcon has from his source material, ironically enough.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Thing is, Ganondorf never has a consistent fighting style.

In Ocarina of Time, he uses magic. Wind Waker has him fight with two katanas. Twilight Princess has him use the sword he stole from the sages.

Then there's Ganon who uses magic and, sometimes, a trident in most games, but in Twilight Princess, he is a quadrupedal beast who rams everything in its path and teleports around, something that is faithfully recreated in his Final Smash.

Contrast with Link who always uses a sword to fight as well as the other items.

That's my point.
And here's my point, wouldn't a Ganondorf who uses Magic (OoT), Swords (WW/TP), or anything else from the games be better than a Ganondorf who does nothing from the games? Link and Zelda are already amalgamations of most of their incarnations, so don't you think that'd be great for Ganondorf? One or two moves with a sword, Dead Man's Volley, a load of actual magic and a lot of the punches and kicks he already has for good measure. As overused as it is, even a Teleport would make a better recovery for him, or why not make him disappear on a dodge like Palutena? Sure he's got a fancy purple effect, but it doesn't do anything.

Yes, he doesn't fist fight, but that can't really contradict the source material, because he doesn't have a trademark fighting style to begin with, though all of them do employ magic and sheer physical strength, which is true for Smash as well.
Here's where I'm more worried about how he moves rather than how he attacks. No, none of his attacks contradict anything in Zelda per say, though the lack of a projectile is a bit jarring, but we agree on that already. But though he has no single fighting style, there is something that each Ganondorf (mind, I'm not including Ganon, just the human form) does have in common. Power? Check, but they also aren't a sitting duck of a target. Here, please take a look. *Iwata pose*

Ignoring the obvious Volley, Ganondorf hovers around here. That'd obviously be broken in Smash, but it could make for a limited recovery move that lets him fly around a bit like R.O.B. (obviously with a shorter duration for balance issues).

Now, we're not focusing on the sword here (as cool as it is), but just look at how high he jumps. His jumps in Smash are pathetic compared to this, with all of that obvious leg power he has, he shouldn't be struggling to get off of the ground. Dedede can jump around multiple times, has long reach, and a projectile that can be knocked back at him, so it obviously isn't broken.

Here we once again have Ganondorf flying through the air like a majestic bird of prey (deadly man eating black flamingo). He certainly isn't a slouch, but this brings me back to my main focus. Would I love to see Ganondorf with a sword? Absolutely, but I'm fine with how he attacks (other than the lack of a projectile), it's his lack of mobility that makes him feel un-Ganondorf to me.

Troykv

Smash Master
And here's my point, wouldn't a Ganondorf who uses Magic (OoT), Swords (WW/TP), or anything else from the games be better than a Ganondorf who does nothing from the games? Link and Zelda are already amalgamations of most of their incarnations, so don't you think that'd be great for Ganondorf? One or two moves with a sword, Dead Man's Volley, a load of actual magic and a lot of the punches and kicks he already has for good measure. As overused as it is, even a Teleport would make a better recovery for him, or why not make him disappear on a dodge like Palutena? Sure he's got a fancy purple effect, but it doesn't do anything.

Here's where I'm more worried about how he moves rather than how he attacks. No, none of his attacks contradict anything in Zelda per say, though the lack of a projectile is a bit jarring, but we agree on that already. But though he has no single fighting style, there is something that each Ganondorf (mind, I'm not including Ganon, just the human form) does have in common. Power? Check, but they also aren't a sitting duck of a target. Here, please take a look. *Iwata pose*

Ignoring the obvious Volley, Ganondorf hovers around here. That'd obviously be broken in Smash, but it could make for a limited recovery move that lets him fly around a bit like R.O.B. (obviously with a shorter duration for balance issues).

Now, we're not focusing on the sword here (as cool as it is), but just look at how high he jumps. His jumps in Smash are pathetic compared to this, with all of that obvious leg power he has, he shouldn't be struggling to get off of the ground. Dedede can jump around multiple times, has long reach, and a projectile that can be knocked back at him, so it obviously isn't broken.

Here we once again have Ganondorf flying through the air like a majestic bird of prey (deadly man eating black flamingo). He certainly isn't a slouch, but this brings me back to my main focus. Would I love to see Ganondorf with a sword? Absolutely, but I'm fine with how he attacks (other than the lack of a projectile), it's his lack of mobility that makes him feel un-Ganondorf to me.
Canon Ganondorf in Smash without Nerfs is freakin OP XD

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay, so, question, can Bayonetta be in smash? There are no mature rated characters so is it still a possibility? I support her but yeah, her game's rating just occurred to me.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Way to completely miss a point for the sake of a sarcastic quip. :facepalm:

Link ALWAYS uses the sword. Link not using a sword at all would be absurd and completely out-of-character.

Ganondorf doesn't always use a sword, so him fighting without one isn't out-of-character at all.
I understand the difference, I was poking fun at the horrible argument that "Ganondorf punches in one piece of OoT artwork therefore it's okay for everything else in his history to get ignored," which is the peak of straw-grasping.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, I see your point and I can agree with that.

He could have more moves from his games and I'd love to see it happen. Don't get me wrong. I always like it when characters are revamped, especially if more moves from their games are added to the moveset. As long as their play style isn't deviated too much, revamps are good.

Bowser's revamp, Pit using Uprising weapons, Link having his jump attack... Yeah, those changes are positive and make the characters feel more authentic.

Ganondorf does have too much punching and kicking in his moveset, even though I don't mind that at all. Like I said, he already feels like Ganondorf to me and I can't really complain about it.

His only instances of using teleportation is the Final Smash and the intro. It definitely could be used for dodges and maybe a new special move for recovery. It makes sense.

I do feel that he already uses magic in Smash, even though it's just a means of augmenting his physical blows. Sure, it's just darkness or thunder effects tacked on, but still shows that he does use magic. A projectile would be great and we're in agreement with that. I think it's pretty much the only change he needs.

The floating is already sort of represented in his up special. He does an upwards animation somewhat reminiscent of when he starts floating in Ocarina of Time. He also shows the ability to float in one of his taunts. It is something that could be more incorporated in his moveset. Something like Peach could work, I guess.

As for the sword, it would be cool, even though I don't feel it's really necessary. Actually, I once thought on the idea of having a new special move that would toggle between using the sword or not.

On the slowness, I understand your point, but I really think that is due to game balance since he's a heavyweight. You can say the same thing about Ike. Ike isn't slow as he is in Smash in the Fire Emblem games, both in his battle animations and in his actual speed stat. However, he was made slow in Smash due to being designed as a heavyweight. It's one of those things that I think it can't really be helped.

All in all, my view is: I like Ganondorf as he currently is and feel he's accurate enough to source material. However, I won't deny that he can be improved on and that a bigger overhaul and the addition of new moves would be welcome. The day it happens, it will be hype worthy.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm glad we've come to some sort of agreement @ Frostwraith Frostwraith .

Though I still think he could do with more speed, he's already near the bottom so he definitely wouldn't end up broken if he could get around the stage easier. One of the first things I noticed about Ike in Smash 4 is that he's actually a lot faster than in Brawl, and I think some of that would do wonders for Ganondorf. Even just a few small buffs here and there would help.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Okay, so, question, can Bayonetta be in smash? There are no mature rated characters so is it still a possibility? I support her but yeah, her game's rating just occurred to me.
I think the bigger issue is that Bayonetta is nowhere near as iconic or important to video games as Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake, Mega Man and (soon to be) Ryu. As good as her games are, the character herself is practically a nobody.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just realized something. Wario was replaced by Dr Mario in Melee for deserving better. Why didn't Sakurai consider that for Ganondorf?
That probably wasn't true.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

Wario was planned for Melee. Sakurai has mentioned that he was concerned with overrepresentation of certain series, so some characters that were planned got dropped. Wario was the 3rd most popular character on the Smash 2 ballots (After Bowser and Peach). On a Melee site, Sakurai stated that if he had the time to add one more character, he would have added Wario
There is no reliable source for Wario actually being seriously, “considered for a Mario clone but he deserved better”. In addition, I haven’t been able to find hard sources on Japanese character discussion. Sakurai did say, “If I cut all the clone characters, I wouldn’t have been able to even add one new character. However, I could have made Wario using the same body shape and attacks as Mario” (Japanese). He also states that if he cut Roy and Marth or Mewtwo, he might have been able to add Wario, but the Mario representation was too much (Japanese). There’s nothing there that says Wario was cut for deserving better.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That really looks cool and well made. A stance Ganondorf is an idea I once had.

Though I'm not too fond of taunts affecting game play on such a caliber...

He even keeps some Falcon cloned moves. lol

I'm glad we've come to some sort of agreement @ Frostwraith Frostwraith .

Though I still think he could do with more speed, he's already near the bottom so he definitely wouldn't end up broken if he could get around the stage easier. One of the first things I noticed about Ike in Smash 4 is that he's actually a lot faster than in Brawl, and I think some of that would do wonders for Ganondorf. Even just a few small buffs here and there would help.
Yeah, a small speed increase would help things.

In fact, he has gotten a few speed buffs in patches. The landing lag for all aerials was decreased a bit in 1.0.4, for example, so I think a few more speed increases here and there would help him become more viable without risking on making him overpowered.

Anyway, he is already far more viable than in Brawl. He is faster than he was back in Brawl.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ya"ll gush about Hyrule Warriors Ganon but he's nowhere near as satisfying as Smash Ganon.

Character history be damned. My favourite fictional character is Wario and I wouldn't trade his current moveset for a 1:1 moveset from his games. Original moves with subtle nods and neat touches (Wario's double jump animation, Ganon's several backhands, Wario's stop motion like moves, Ganon's shockwave effects, etc) is way more inspired, creative, fun and ballsy than a "faithful reptesentation". Smash Wario and Ganon have a new identity in their Smash incarnation all while actually being in character, which fits with Wario's various personality traits and Ganon's inconsistentency in fighting style.

Ness and Lucas are more criminal. But no one complains about them. (I personally don't mind them though)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If we wanna talk about how to further "Luigify" :4ganondorf: as a clone without heavily affecting his PLAYSTYLE and bringing in more of his canon moves, I have some ideas as a Ganon main.

In general, him getting a small overall speed buff is certainly not something that would make him too powerful. Something that's around the current speed of :4dk: certainly doesn't sound unreasonable.

Up-Tilt is now an overhead swing of the Sage's Sword from Twilight Princess.
Down-Smash is modified into a hard punch onto the ground, creating a small dark shockwave on either side (akin to :4megaman: Flame Storm or PM :4wario2:)

Up and Side Specials are completely unchanged.

Wizard's Foot is unchanged besides bringing back the Melee double jump refresh.

Warlock Punch is slightly sped up in animation, with significantly reduced damage on the punch but it releases a dark orb that's equivilent to a fully charged Aura Sphere or Shadow Ball (taken from one of his Hyrule Warriors combo finishers).

Edit: Since someone said that D-Throw was another sore spot, have it akin to Bowser Jr.'s in which the target is tossed to the ground and then impaled with the Sage's Sword

This seem like a fair "evolution" for his moveset?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ya"ll gush about Hyrule Warriors Ganon but he's nowhere near as satisfying as Smash Ganon.

Character history be damned. My favourite fictional character is Wario and I wouldn't trade his current moveset for a 1:1 moveset from his games. Original moves with subtle nods and neat touches (Wario's double jump animation, Ganon's several backhands, Wario's stop motion like moves, Ganon's shockwave effects, etc) is way more inspired, creative, fun and ballsy than a "faithful reptesentation". Smash Wario and Ganon have a new identity in their Smash incarnation all while actually being in character, which fits with Wario's various personality traits and Ganon's inconsistentency in fighting style.

Ness and Lucas are more criminal. But no one complains about them. (I personally don't mind them though)
Ness and Lucas have their signature attacks in their A moves (Yo-yo, Bat, PK Love) in their A moves, do they not? Their specials borrow moves from their party members as means to make them represent Earthbound and Mother 3 as a whole.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Pm Wario is the only Wario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ness and Lucas have their signature attacks in their A moves (Yo-yo, Bat, PK love) in their A moves, do they not? Their specials borrow moves from their party members as means to make them represent Earthbound and Mother 3 as a whole.
Ness and Lucas are the healers and support of the team. PK Rockin and Love are their only offensive PSI Move. (Granted Lucas has the latter) Ness' A moves are really generic with the exception of his smashes where he uses his main weapons. Lucas is a bit more creative with the hexagon effects. PK Flash is a move Ness uses (its a move that causes status though, it doesn't deal damage) but the rest are borrowed from Paula. All of Lucas' specials are Kumatora's, and even the Rope Snake isn't his.

Basically aside from Bat/Yoyo/Stick, Pk Flash and PK Love everything is either borrowed or just generic. But I don't think it's a big deal honestly, or if it even matters at all, just that they're worse than Ganon if you want unfaithful.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just realized something. Wario was replaced by Dr Mario in Melee for deserving better. Why didn't Sakurai consider that for Ganondorf?
At the time human Ganondorf only made one appearance. It was mainly the original Ganon that made the most appearances in the Zelda franchise. So Sakurai probably assumed at the time that the Zelda team probably wouldn't do as much with human Ganondorf before they made him a bigger deal during the Gamecube days.

Which makes me wonder if Ganondorf really ended up being a one time deal and didn't make it into Melee. Would we have gotten the original Ganon for Brawl instead? Although if he wasn't in Melee he would have most likely gotten a more unique moveset in Brawl.....

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I feel that, as long as a character doesn't blatantly contradict source material, it's fine to take whatever liberties with the characters.

As long as I feel there isn't something that makes me think "this character would never do that", I'm fine with whatever portrayal is came up with.

I'll reiterate: adding moves straight from source material adds authenticity to the characters, but I also agree they shouldn't feel restricted by only what characters do in their own games. (Otherwise, characters like Fox or Falcon would never be in the game.)

Examples:
- Ganondorf using a punch augmented by darkness is accurate to source material. Him shooting rainbows isn't.
- Mario using fire-based moves is accurate. Him suddenly pulling out a knife would feel wrong on so many levels.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I agree with the notion in that Ganondorf should be changed more, but they should actually keep the playstyle he currently has.

The interesting about him is that he's balanced pretty well against the other Triforce bearers, as all of their playstyles basically represent each piece of it. Link, the bearer of "Courage" is the fair swordsman with the physical tools. Zelda, the bearer of "Wisdom" is the mage with the ranged, magical based attacks. And 'Dorf, the bearer of "Power", is the monstrously powerful fist fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom