• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Sonic loses all options to punish shields as soon as he becomes a blue ball. No realistic reason why, from neutral, you can't overuse shield to deny his spindash approaches. Dash->grab is good too for sonic, however. But he cant do it after spindash mixup hijinks. Same with bowser Jr and his clown kart.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
He was terrible, mostly because he literally didn't have a real way to KO you pre-200% if you always picked the safest option. And then he'd lose to you just fishing for trades in positions where he wasn't able to B-air you.

Still a cancerous character that really should have never been made viable in his current design.

Pikachu is also really cancerous imo.
Well now you've piqued my interest. What do you find troubling about Pikachu?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Character is impossible to trap and has an approach that can't be realistically reacted to. And he has KO confirms.

It's just...obnoxiously poor design. He's only not outrageously broken because he suffers the same problem as Brawl Sonic in being mostly unable to KO you at reasonable percents (though F-air -> free move is just...wtf), except Pikachu's aerials have better hitboxes than Sonic's.

Yeah if Pikachu hit as hard at say, Yoshi? Instant SSS tier.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Character is impossible to trap and has an approach that can't be realistically reacted to. And he has KO confirms.

It's just...obnoxiously poor design. He's only not outrageously broken because he suffers the same problem as Brawl Sonic in being mostly unable to KO you at reasonable percents (though F-air -> free move is just...wtf), except Pikachu's aerials have better hitboxes than Sonic's.

Yeah if Pikachu hit as hard at say, Yoshi? Instant best character in the game.
Haha. I guess I needed another player to point out the obvious for me to truly comprehend how it is playing against a good Pikachu. Yes, racking up damage is not too difficult but if it was then he'd be garbage. He needs to be an evasive character due to his very light weight. The difficulty in landing a KO is extremely frustrating sometimes, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Haha. I guess I needed another player to point out the obvious for me to truly comprehend how it is playing against a good Pikachu. Yes, racking up damage is not too difficult but if it was then he'd be garbage. He needs to be an evasive character due to his very light weight. The difficulty in landing a KO is extremely frustrating sometimes, though.
Maybe you can guess why I'm really salty about Mario getting nerfed? =P

To be fair, customs do address some of his big problems. Not that they make him amazing though. But man, it's like, they don't want my favorite character to be good at anything.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Actually, there's a lesson there: Complexity or difficulty doesn't always means the character is strong once mastered. Maxi has never been very high on anyone's lists in any game, except in the latest version where he's as high as mid tier because he has solid basic moves. Maxi actually does better in casual play because people don't how to deal with his stances. Ivy is usually pretty rewarding of mastery, except in the latest version where she's been both simplified and weakened, but is still a solid pick, again, due to having strong basic moves.

Having the basic tools that the game is designed around is very important, and even if you have bandaid fixes to specific situations where you're lacking the usual common solution, you might be lacking in other regards. Not having a real jab, ftilt, or nair definitely has it's share of problems. Yeah, the attacks do more knockback from the arm cannon, but no fast jab means no quick punish or interrupt, no long ftilt means no quick turnaround attack that knocks away, no fast nair means no great aerial interrupt, and no body-hitbox nair and generally slow aerial options means there's a lot of exploitable gaps in his hitbox coverage.

I know we're not here to argue about Soul Calibur, but Ivy was considered by many to be the best character in SCIV behind hilde, who was banned. Ironic that Soul Calibur is brought up right after I switch my avatar.
In the first Soul caliber Maxi and Ivy are indeed both top tier but not for reasons you think. Maxi is top because his frame data on all his buttons is vomit inducing. He was like +3 on ****ing EVERYTHING, it was disgusting. Had nothing to do with how complex he was. Once he touched a blocking opponent you STAYED blocking or you ate a vicious counter hit or launcher and lost a chunk of health. Ivy was up there due to stupid throw mix-ups that could take near half life.

So yes they were both complicated, but they were high in the tiers due to basic attributes and simplistic gameplay that was effective.

Just throwing that out there. Sometimes...it really is all about how good your numbers are.

Lookin at you Brawl Metaknight.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
In the first Soul caliber Maxi and Ivy are indeed both top tier but not for reasons you think. Maxi is top because his frame data on all his buttons is vomit inducing. He was like +3 on ****ing EVERYTHING, it was disgusting. Had nothing to do with how complex he was. Once he touched a blocking opponent you STAYED blocking or you ate a vicious counter hit or launcher and lost a chunk of health. Ivy was up there due to stupid throw mix-ups that could take near half life.

So yes they were both complicated, but they were high in the tiers due to basic attributes and simplistic gameplay that was effective.
Ughhhhhhhh I remember that Maxi bull**** back in the day. It was so hard to keep him out, too.

Just throwing that out there. Sometimes...it really is all about how good your numbers are.

Numbers, innate character attributes...so much stupid stuff cropped up around Brawl MK. He broke that meta in half by existing.

Smooth Criminal

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
SO I don't know what it is about her, but I have a good feeling about Peach in this game.

I personally flub a few things on her, but I just picked her up a few days ago, and I honestly think she is pretty good. I also like the whole toss cancel stuff, and I think she has a fairly decent matchup with, at the very least Greninja because I have played a few Greninjas with her and felt like I actually had an advantage for once xD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
SO I don't know what it is about her, but I have a good feeling about Peach in this game.

I personally flub a few things on her, but I just picked her up a few days ago, and I honestly think she is pretty good. I also like the whole toss cancel stuff, and I think she has a fairly decent matchup with, at the very least Greninja because I have played a few Greninjas with her and felt like I actually had an advantage for once xD
Peach is definitely above average. Floating makes her really stupid to trap, she isn't vulnerable to edgeguards, and her movepool is generally good. And item tossing is still the best attack in the game, even if Peach's turnip pulling got nerfed.

And in other news, watching this set of Mario vs Wii Fit Trainer gives me more reasons to whine that Mario is most definitely bottom 5 on default settings. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24774796

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Peach is definitely above average. Floating makes her really stupid to trap, she isn't vulnerable to edgeguards, and her movepool is generally good. And item tossing is still the best attack in the game, even if Peach's turnip pulling got nerfed.

And in other news, watching this set of Mario vs Wii Fit Trainer gives me more reasons to whine that Mario is most definitely bottom 5 on default settings. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24774796
I am one of the only other people I feel who agrees that Mario is trash xD
Honestly, the single thing that I think kills him the most are his horrendous fireballs that can easily be beaten by jabs and can't be followed up upon well. That and his horrendous reach.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I am one of the only other people I feel who agrees that Mario is trash xD
Honestly, the single thing that I think kills him the most are his horrendous fireballs that can easily be beaten by jabs and can't be followed up upon well. That and his horrendous reach.
Mario's Fireballs were always iffy, but they were fine as is.

The real problem in this game which you can observe in the video I posted is Mario's reward is just AWFUL. He has to work so hard to even just get in, and then he even has to hard read people for peanut damage. And he can't afford to take a lot of hits when he just dies to juggles and edgeguards.

Though speaking of Fireballs, Luigi's Fireball is actually good in this game. I might need more observations, but he may actually be a better character than people are giving him credit for simply because his default Fireball is actually a really safe tool, and it still does 6% which is kinda huge in this game where most other characters deal about 7-8% on tilts.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
So fast. I hate playing against Pikachu too, cause as a Shulk main he gets in quick and deals loads of damage in combos without me being able to react with even my quicker attacks. The fortunate thing is that if he does miss an attack or I get a shieldgrab Pikachu will end up on the disadvantage cause Shulk's edgeguarding is surprisingly strong with his enormous area and range on his nair.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Based on what i've played Lucario is extremely good maybe even one of the best charcters in the game. Anyone else agree with my statement?

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Based on what i've played Lucario is extremely good maybe even one of the best charcters in the game. Anyone else agree with my statement?
I'd argue Lucario's a better top 4 candidate than Greninja. Rage+Aura at even 80% is excellent, and at 120%+ is borderline broken. Aura Sphere is one of the better projectiles in the game like a quicker-charging Samus Neutral B (and with a better roll out of it too), Force Palm is devastating when it hits and Extremespeed hitting enemies at the end of its arc is great to punish a baited smash from an edgeguarding opponent. His jab combo is highly usable and does decent damage early and painful amounts late, his uair is terrifyingly quick and strong and all of his smashes are surprisingly quick and punish well out of shield. Definitely up there in my opinion.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Greninja being top 4 seems to have been something that's been said and we've all kinda accepted it along with his results so far. I'm sure there's merit for it; but i'd like to hear more aspects of his gameplay that really trump the other characters.

I think Greninja will probably be 4th out of the big 4 (R&L, Sheik, Greninja and ZSS), from what i've heard thus far. :)

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm still feeling great about Marth, especially if customs are allowed.

He's suffers from many of the same problems he had in brawl, but all of his attributes get a boost if we can use the dashing custom neutral special.

Plus, I think the ripper kills much earlier now. When I punish people with an F-Smash at 70 percent, if it's perfect tipped there's no chance of them making it back.

He's lacking in safe kill options, but his ground game is buffed, F-Air is still great on rising fullhop, N-Air is still great coming down, D-tilt is still great, DB up is safe, and he's still a monster off-stage.

The biggest thing holding him back is the circle pad and the lack of a C-stick imo. He needs the precision of a control stick and we need to be able to do F-Airs in retreat smoothly.

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Aura is silly in this game. Literally the X-Factor of Smash 4.

Lucario is a dumb character.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Everyone keeps talking about Sonic but I've seen maybe 3 online and the only time I've seen him in tournament play is when he suicides on the streaming 3DS. He definitely seems quite good but can anyone actually direct me to gameplay of him that shows he's the top 5-10 material everyone keeps claiming?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I don't buy the sonic hype.

Unrelated Gust cape and high pressure Fludd are ********. Regular cape & Fludd for what?
Hyper Smash Shulk is similar to a high % Lucario.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't buy the sonic hype.

Unrelated Gust cape and high pressure Fludd are ********. Regular cape & Fludd for what?
Hyper Smash Shulk is similar to a high % Lucario.
High pressure FLUDD imo sucks unless you run Up-B custom 1. It's really not that good for edgeguarding otherwise when you factor how much it pushes you backwards, making it only really practical if you're going offstage with it.

Gust Cape though is strictly better than regular Cape by a landslide, no argument there.

Last edited:

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
RE: Lucario hype

Lucario is pretty good. Definitely high-tier, someone a lot of people seem to succeed with and have trouble against. CERTAINLY a great character matchup for characters without lots of good kill moves.
Then again, so is, like, everyone else.

Lucario's ground game is good, like you guys are saying. Like a Little Mac with less speed and more range. Lucario also has a better air game than little mac, but... so does everyone else. If you can get above Lucario, you can kill him. The floor is lava.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
So, after asking a few questions, I just got confirmation that Gungnir took 2nd place with Ganondorf in a Japanese 106 man tournament. (First place went to Yoshidora's Yoshi)

Video of Finals for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNlCaiAvys

This is...unreal.
That Yoshi player is really good too. The movement from him was amazing, and those command grabs.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Creating two separate tier lists with and without custom moves is incredibly ridiculous. Don't you know how much time it takes to even create one official tier list, especially with this many characters in the game and all the variables?
I never ignored the fact that creating a tier list is a lot of work. Read my other posts.

It's not ridiculous at all either. If the community can continue to update both the Melee and Brawl tier lists, and continue debate on a Project M tier list (that's 3 tier lists the smash community continues to work on), then you really think 2 more tier lists is a big problem? Not as long as there is interest in both, it won't.

Whether it's worth it or not is an entirely different question. There are good arguments from both sides to keep them on (viarety, chars like Mario become much better, etc) and keeping them off (stupidly good moves like DK's whirlwind or Sonic's Hammer Spin). It's a topic worth discussing and exploring further.

EDIT: A better argument kind of for and kind of against custom moves I forgot to include is:

When the Wii U version is released, what about those who don't have the 3DS version with their custom build characters? How long will it take to upload said movesets into the Wii U as well? Then again, those with 3DS's will be able to really get the most out of their games, making it feel like a more worthwhile experience. However, those without their own 3DS's who lack their builds could be at a very significant disadvantage: it would either turn people away from tournaments or force them to buy a 3DS, making Smash 4 the most expensive smash to play competitively.

These are all valid reasons to consider: should we keep the game accessible, or put customs as part of tournaments and give those who have both games an opportunity to get the most out of the game?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
RE: Lucario hype

Lucario is pretty good. Definitely high-tier, someone a lot of people seem to succeed with and have trouble against. CERTAINLY a great character matchup for characters without lots of good kill moves.
Then again, so is, like, everyone else.

Lucario's ground game is good, like you guys are saying. Like a Little Mac with less speed and more range. Lucario also has a better air game than little mac, but... so does everyone else. If you can get above Lucario, you can kill him. The floor is lava.
His range was overall nerfed outsIde of side B and Up B with aura.

His footsie poke and combo game all got hit going into smash 4

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG , I'd have to disagree that Mario is bottom 5 in Smash 4. I've read your opinions here and in your excellent write-up on the Mario character boards, but I disagree that the sum of all his traits equals bottom 5.

Mario definitely struggles with a lot of the same issues he had in previous Smash games (poor range, easy KO options, etc.), but I feel that Smash 4's new mechanics were a real ninja buff to Mario's game. Improved hit stun, nerfed projectiles across the board, revised ledge mechanics providing a buff to his recovery, all these have made Mario's game more effective.

Mario himself also received some buffs. FLUDD is more effective at what it was intended to do, fireballs are bigger and drop quickly and at a useful angle, and many of his normals (F-smash, F-air, D-tilt) have more practical applications. I'd also have to disagree that Mario has poor aerial movement. He's no Jigglypuff, but his ability to bob and weave with short hop fireballs and aerials is middle of the road at least. That isn't to say some of his moves didn't get nerfed (looking at you, cape), but I definitely feel the buffs outweigh the nerfs.

You seem really knowledgeable and I don't disagree that playing Mario effectively is very difficult (maybe top 5, top 10 most difficult characters to play effectively?), but I don't think Mario is getting the credit he deserves in this game. Does anybody else agree or am I alone in my thoughts on the character?

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
I don't think Mario is getting the credit he deserves in this game. Does anybody else agree or am I alone in my thoughts on the character?
Nop I think that you are right, Mario is rather high tier in this game, or in any case way better than in Brawl. I'm sure some people have listed all of his new advantages somewhere else.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG , I'd have to disagree that Mario is bottom 5 in Smash 4. I've read your opinions here and in your excellent write-up on the Mario character boards, but I disagree that the sum of all his traits equals bottom 5.

Mario definitely struggles with a lot of the same issues he had in previous Smash games (poor range, easy KO options, etc.), but I feel that Smash 4's new mechanics were a real ninja buff to Mario's game. Improved hit stun, nerfed projectiles across the board, revised ledge mechanics providing a buff to his recovery, all these have made Mario's game more effective.

Mario himself also received some buffs. FLUDD is more effective at what it was intended to do, fireballs are bigger and drop quickly and at a useful angle, and many of his normals (F-smash, F-air, D-tilt) have more practical applications. I'd also have to disagree that Mario has poor aerial movement. He's no Jigglypuff, but his ability to bob and weave with short hop fireballs and aerials is middle of the road at least. That isn't to say some of his moves didn't get nerfed (looking at you, cape), but I definitely feel the buffs outweigh the nerfs.

You seem really knowledgeable and I don't disagree that playing Mario effectively is very difficult (maybe top 5, top 10 most difficult characters to play effectively?), but I don't think Mario is getting the credit he deserves in this game. Does anybody else agree or am I alone in my thoughts on the character?
If Mario did the same damage he did in Brawl, he would be upper mid tier maybe. If he had that AND Cape stalling AND Jab canceling in addition to that, he would be about high tier, but still not quite as good as characters like Sheik and Yoshi. Yes, physics changes technically benefit Mario's playstyle. That's not the whole picture.

I don't think you really understand just how much Mario actually got nerfed. Improved hitstun is a loaded argument when the reality is Mario's combos are still very unreliable, and his juggles can either be jumped out of or interrupted by most characters not named Ganondorf or Ike. His combos weren't really less reliable in Brawl, but Mario did a LOT more damage in fewer reads, and Jab canceling made up for a lack of aerial KO moves by giving Mario legitimate pressure or KO confirm options on the ground. You can't do that in Smash 4 unless something changed this patch.

When most of Mario's moves lost about 1-2% universally, U-air and D-smash both lost 4%, it's really not promising for Mario. Brawl Mario could do close to around 64% in 2 reads potentially. Smash 4 Mario with three hard reads struggles to put people past 50%. And he's not strong in neutral, and also one of the worst characters in the game at dealing with traps. If you can't gimp people with FLUDD/Cape, and if you can't land F-smash at 90%, you're not killing people easily with Mario especially since your aerials don't kill. And nobody has trouble killing Mario when it needs to happen.

Buffs outweighing nerfs? Really? Well, FLUDD admittedly gives Mario some new outplay potential, but that's really it. And no, Mario isn't difficult to play in this game. He's just extremely unrewarding most of the time. Brawl Mario wasn't amazing, but actually rewarded you significantly for skilled technical plays and reads in many more situations.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Yup, I'd agree that the loss of certain techniques that Mario had in Brawl but doesn't here definitely hurts his game. I'd also agree that Mario isn't high tier in Smash 4, not that I really want to put a number on what I think Mario's eventual tier placement will be.

Physics changes may not be the whole picture, but they're definitely a part of it. Improved hit stun is sometimes used as a loaded argument when describing why character X feels better in Smash 4 compared to Brawl, but in such a case, it's usually given without any context. So let me provide some context.

Let's take down throw. At low to mid percents, it's pretty easy to get an up tilt, up b, or an up air off of a down throw. It's not a brain dead, guaranteed set up, but it also doesn't take too much work. Mario has some of his best tools available to him when the opponent is above him and he's on the ground. It's one reason his grab feels rewarding, in my opinion. The improved hit stun and nerfed aerial options vs. ground options (universal gameplay changes) coupled with some of Mario's pre-existing strengths (generally fast moves) combine to (if only slightly) improve Mario's game.

We could go back and forth about this and lots of other features of the character, but at the end it's just opinions and impressions. Mario seems like he has too unique of a toolkit along with solid, balanced options to be bottom 5, but I could be 100% wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Title of this thread should be changed to "Mario Competitive Impressions... with some other characters thrown in."

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I definitely think Mario is being a bit underrated here. His combos work fine at low percents, and Fludd is actually really solid for gimps now. He also kind of got a stealth buff to cape simply because there's a lot more moves that count as projectiles now.

I also think he may get some extra buffs from Custom Moves. In particular, Fast Fireball seems almost unquestionably better than the normal one.

Most importantly, though, Mario's tournament results aren't terrible. We can speculate that he might be bad, but for now he's getting wins.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
We could go back and forth about this and lots of other features of the character, but at the end it's just opinions and impressions. Mario seems like he has too unique of a toolkit along with solid, balanced options to be bottom 5, but I could be 100% wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Mario's kit isn't unique. Most of his options are similar to that of characters like Pikachu and Sheik, who BLATANTLY outclass him by actually being scary in neutral, having better shield pressure that isn't vulnerable to shieldgrabs, being less terrible and even brokenly good in the negative state, and better at getting KOs and gimps.

Mario's options are not balanced. His only options in midrange are all punishable and unrewarding. Mario's options are only "decent" when he's in close range, but he does not have amazing mobility to stop zoning and position himself into blind spots on demand. And you know who else is amazing when on the ground and when the opponent is above them? Pretty much everyone except ROB and Jigglypuff.

I definitely think Mario is being a bit underrated here. His combos work fine at low percents, and Fludd is actually really solid for gimps now.
When Mario only gets 23% for doing D-air > U-air -> B-air, and when almost everyone in the cast besides Ganondorf and Ike easily escapes Mario's D-throw->U-tilt juggles after the first U-tilt, how are you able to call Mario's combo game good? Like, you're just flat out numerically wrong by stating Mario's combos work fine. Mario neither has the frame data nor damage to facilitate good and reliable combos on most of the cast. He has to hard read you to score consecutive hits and HOPE he doesn't trade.

FLUDD is definitely better but still requires reads. And it isn't exactly solving that Mario is an easily killed character who is bad in neutral that has to read you really hard to get decent, but not amazing reward.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
When Mario only gets 23% for doing D-air > U-air -> B-air, and when almost everyone in the cast besides Ganondorf and Ike easily escapes Mario's D-throw->U-tilt juggles after the first U-tilt, how are you able to call Mario's combo game good?
A 23% combo that goes into a kill move (bair) isn't exactly bad. Most of the cast would be happy to have a throw into kill move combo, period.

Also, if you think he has recovery problems, perhaps the upB that gives more recovery is worth considering. It's not like he uses his UpB for much anyway.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A 23% combo that goes into a kill move (bair) isn't exactly bad. Most of the cast would be happy to have a throw into kill move combo, period.

Also, if you think he has recovery problems, perhaps the upB that gives more recovery is worth considering. It's not like he uses his UpB for much anyway.
B-air doesn't kill. Mario is literally one of the only characters that can't kill you with aerials pre 150% unless you're extremely lightweight, meaning Mario has to land Smashes or get lucky gimps to KO you. The other character who can't kill with aerials usually is probably Pikachu, who as stated outclasses Mario ridiculously.

The combo I listed (last hit D-air -> U-air -> B-air) firstoff is a low percent string that isn't guaranteed. It depends heavily on a lot of things, including VI and reading airdodges. The thing you should be getting from this is Mario has to actually read you pretty hard, and doesn't even get great reward a lot of the time. Ganondorf just lands a Smash when he sees you doing a SH aerial or spotdodge, and does more damage than that.

Up-B Custom 1 is not preferable compared to Explosive Jump Punch, as Mario needs Explosive Jump Punch to guarantee good damage off D-throw at early percents and to make up for his lack of aerial KO moves. Explosive Jump Punch makes Mario significantly better, I won't deny that. But it doesn't make him amazing. Mario needs Gust Cape along with that to make up for his extremely glaring weaknesses in the negative state. Those two moves make Mario not terrible, but he's not the only character benefiting from customs.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So, after asking a few questions, I just got confirmation that Gungnir took 2nd place with Ganondorf in a Japanese 106 man tournament. (First place went to Yoshidora's Yoshi)

Video of Finals for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNlCaiAvys

This is...unreal.
To put things into perspective a bit: Yoshidora got 9th / 180 at Sumabato 0 last weekend.

You mistyped PM Mewtwo.

:059:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Mario's kit isn't unique.
I'd argue that FLUDD is a unique move that characters like Sheik and Pikachu have no analog for. But remember, I'm not arguing that Mario is better then the Sheiks and the Pikachus of the game. He probably isn't, and you're right about that. I just don't feel he's bottom 5. But your opinion is valid nonetheless. Good debate, you've given me a lot to think about!

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Cape is too funny. I watched RoB vs Mario and everytime RoB D-air'd i thought he was nuts, if Mario capes the D-air, Rob meteors himself. Thats cray. Same for Megaman. D-air and U-air. Cape puts in work and then Gust cape comes out and does it nasty.
Double B-airs off-stage are a thing. F-air has to be respected.

People really want to run Explosive Jump punch? If you want to turn yourself into-lil mac levels of recovery, thats your business. Risk doesn't justify the reward. SJP and SJ would be my considerations.

Same as Kirbys Upper Cutter. Ledge-games are only getting more dangerous as people get more confident in their ability to go off-stage and this is going to become clearer come Wii U when fear of 3DS screwing your input isn't a factor. Trashy recoveries are going to flop without heavy on-stage presence (mac) to make up for it.

If anything I think the high-kill Up-B's in general will see little play from customs when they are the worst recovery option.
Even Mii Brawler, I see many going for Piston Punch because it has decent (by his standards) recovery and it kills. Summersault kick kills too, but does it justify being easier to gimp? Probably not.

Mario's U-smash can put in enough work, and Mario absolutely can wrack up damage.

A *lot* of characters have kill-confirm problems off-stage but don't with their off-ledge game, if they allow themself to actually go out there and secure. Shoot look at Villager, you know how much of a pain it is to just make villager drop with his stupid balloons? Just kill him.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario can only wrack up damage easily against characters with very bad options and physics for disengaging from his juggles. That's why you need Explosive Jump Punch. 27% off a throw guaranteed simply can't be ignored, and the fact Mario lacks aerial KO options is especially pressing. Mario doesn't inherently benefit from long range offstage edgeguarding like other characters when most of his aerials are bad for killing, and F-air is unlikely to hit people that actually have competitive reaction time and is too laggy most of the time to cover options well.

Furthermore, the majority of Mario's recovery issues are addressed with Gust Cape, which gives him back Cape Stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom