• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Doc's not bottom five. His match-up spread isn't amazing by any means, but his current metagame shows he can put in some work.

What is it really about the Doc that makes him so bad? Is his mobility that terrible next to Mario's? Like how can Mario be good and his clone be awful, especially when the clone has the superior D-b?
Doc doesn't have the superior Down-B. To be frank, it's just an entirely different function altogether.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Doc doesn't have the superior Down-B. To be frank, it's just an entirely different function altogether.
I agree that it's different, but I've never seen it be effective like I have Docs, just disruptive, although that may just be personal.

Who, might I ask, would you consider for bottom 5?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
It's kind of hard to tell for the bottom 5 because everyone can be played effectively. I guess the best we can do atm is make a list of candidates. Maybe something like this?
:4dedede::4falco::4ganondorf::4samus::4drmario::4lucina::4wiifit::4kirby::4miisword::4zelda:
Idk because none of these guys actually shout bottom 5 to me except maybe Falco, DDD, Zelda, Swordfighter and Kirby (I guess that's bottom 5 right there). I actually feel bad putting Ganondorf, Doc and WFT there knowing what kind of damage they're capable of. And this is without customs. With them, I wouldn't even consider putting Kirby, Doc, Ganondorf and WFT in bottom 5.

Last edited:

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
It's kind of hard to tell for the bottom 5 because everyone can be played effectively. I guess the best we can do atm is make a list of candidates. Maybe something like this?
:4dedede::4falco::4ganondorf::4samus::4drmario::4lucina::4wiifit::4kirby::4miisword::4zelda:
Idk because none of these guys actually shout bottom 5 to me except maybe Falco, DDD, Zelda, Swordfighter and Kirby (I guess that's bottom 5 right there). I actually feel bad putting Ganondorf, Doc and WFT there knowing what kind of damage they're capable of. And this is without customs. With them, I wouldn't even consider putting Kirby, Doc, Ganondorf and WFT in bottom 5.
DDD really seems weak to me, just cause his hits are so slow, I can sadly see him in a bot 5. Falco, Samus, and especially WFT shout potential to me, so I leave them out. MikeKirby has proven some, so he clearly can do work. To me that leaves Bowser as bot 5 along with, and I feel bad saying it,but with such polarizing MUs, I don't know how he can be higher, LM. Poor kid.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Woah woah, slow down there.
DeDeDe is a monster in capable hands. Most certainly not bottom five material. Lucina, Dr.Mario and especially Falco aren't anything to write home about, but I really don't believe they should be bottom five. As you've mentioned, everyone can be played effectively, so the bottom five list will always be pretty controversial.

Edit - I'd probably slip :4gaw: into bottom five.

Last edited:

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
DeDeDe is a monster in capable hands. Most certainly not bottom five material. Lucina, Dr.Mario and especially Falco aren't anything to write home about, but I really don't believe they should be bottom five. As you've mentioned, everyone can be played effectively, so the bottom five list will always be pretty controversial.
It is going to be controversial, but so is any top 15, doesn't mean we shouldn't. DDD I feel everyone know can have his moments, but much like LM, fails too much where it's needed as far as MUs go.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Insert character here is a monster in capable hands.
fixed
Really though as much smack as I give Swordfighter, I genuinely believe that if someone is good enough with a particular character that they can win tourneys.
Bottom 5 borders on meaningless because even those guys are still good in the right hands.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Dedede's MU spread is something I'd be interested in exploring. Because I see it as being pretty bad.

Lucina can't be bottom 5 without Marth being considered there too. Marth is better, but the game plan is the same and having Lucina be that low says something about her game plan not being effective enough.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
fixed
Really though as much smack as I give Swordfighter, I genuinely believe that if someone is good enough with a particular character that they can win tourneys.
Bottom 5 borders on meaningless because even those guys are still good in the right hands.
Win tourneys may be a bit much but yes, I definitely believe any character can win based on skill and knowledge. Bottom 5 I think becomes most unfavorable match ups, but doesn't mean they don't have a lot of good ones too.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I agree that it's different, but I've never seen it be effective like I have Docs, just disruptive, although that may just be personal.

Who, might I ask, would you consider for bottom 5?
FLUDD has always been misunderstood, so it doesn't surprise me. While Tornado is legitimately amazing for what it does, FLUDD is strong in it's own right.

To be frank, I can't list a confident bottom 5, but if I had to, it would be: :4kirby::4samus::4palutena::4miisword::4zelda: (Ordered from Best of the Worst to Worst of the Worst). I'm only confident in saying these characters are on the lower end of the spectrum, and I only have personal experience with Samus.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Lucina can't be bottom 5 without Marth being considered there too. Marth is better, but the game plan is the same and having Lucina be that low says something about her game plan not being effective enough.
Not to say that Lucina is garbage because she isn't (I can't say she's bad, she's just below average I suppose, and Marth is slightly above average) but the main difference is that Marth already has to scrape for rewards and he really relies on frame traps and techs to get control via tippers and abuse the fact that you kill stupidly early. Lucina has to do the same thing except she gets less reward, doesn't kill as early, AND she has worse shieldstun to deal with. Marth gets SIGNIFICANTLY more bang for his buck when he makes a commitment, and albeit his rewards are average when you compare it to someone like Diddy, his rewards for traps and waiting for opportunities is much better when you have tippers.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Not to say that Lucina is garbage because she isn't (she's worse than Marth, but I think everyone can agree on that) but the main difference is that Marth already has to scrape for rewards and he really relies on frame traps and techs to get control via tippers and abuse the fact that you kill stupidly early. Lucina has to do the same thing except she gets less reward, doesn't kill as early, AND she has worse shieldstun to deal with.
Yes, but I can't see those 3 things distancing her that much from Marth in many matchups. For instance, the difference between Lucina and Marth in the Mega Man matchup is significant in that Lucina does not have tippers to kill with on ftilt/bair (fsmash too, but ftilt/bair are more important in that MU in my experience). However, their gameplan is still the same and the gameplan is still effective.

Same with Marth/Lucina vs Kirby. When mobility, disjoints, and frame data win a matchup, Lucina might have to work harder, but she will still win the matchup.

Edit: If Marth didn't exist, how would Lucina do? That is the evaluative question that should be asked when thinking about Lucina as a character. She has no place in the meta if it is to be believed that Marth is superior in every way, which would make her placement on a "who's the worst character for competition" trivial at best. Not saying that Lucina doesn't have something to offer over Marth (too early, I feel, to do that).

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Slightly below average? This game just feels so balanced. It feels wrong to say anyone is "garbage"
There is 51 characters. If you are in the bottom 5 you are below average.
Competitively speaking if the difference in efficacy of a below average and above average character is actually small on a practical level then sure you could run whatever given human consistency.

Mind you I feel there is a significant difference in efficacy between Bowser/DHD and Diddy/Sheik but maybe that is just me.I'm positive you can't actually *run whatever* without some of those choices having a relevant disadvantage in general strength that will become visibly apparent as the game continues to grow.Not that Im saying anyone has to conform to anything since Lizardon OP .

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lucina can't be bottom 5 without Marth being considered there too.
The girls MU against the cast is worse than Marth. If her MU is mostly negative then i see no reason as to why Marth needs to be in the same bracket.

Its like you said "if she's going down he's going down with her". MU that are even for Marth for example C.Falcon will not be even for Lucina.

All the clones are pretty bad but Doc is a clone of a good character which his why his frame data is good, the mobility kills it but his customs gives him a solid tool to force approaches.

Dark Pit is just a weaker Pit but Pit is also a good character. Marth got hit hard in the number nerf and isn't all that great and Lucina is a clone of him but gets less reward overall, can't kill to save her life and even more lag if anything other than Dtilt touches a shield.

---------

Since when was bottom 5 average? May as well call it average 5/meh 5/ don't care 5.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Uh....... Ness matchups?
Not too much new in this department, except for the fact that our :4megaman: MU is very difficult and people are finally realising it (in reality it's probably pretty close to even but it's a pretty big deal considering Megaman isn't considered too wildly amazing normally). :p

If you're interested then more knowledgeable peeps than I can give a more accurate description of what's going on right now (it sucks being out of the meta for an extended period of time haha).

He's right though - average is relevant to the characters in the game. Average would be around the mid tier where any average should be haha, but what people obviously mean in this context by "bad is average" is that they're talking relevant to other smash games such as Brawl where the worst characters were truly dismal in comparison to the upper tiers, whereas this game it's much less so (in other words, Zelda in this game would have the viability equivalent of say, Sheik in Brawl).

DDD is a curious case, I do not believe he is bottom five, he reminds me a lot of Brawl Lucas in that he's kinda gimmicky and relies on the opponent not having certain tools to deal with him and/or not using them in a particular way, and as soon as they do he kinda gets shut down... much like how Lucas' FH Dair ---> dtilt lock combos could be avoided if you got used to SDI-ing everything or just waited out his Nair ---> jab combos. DDD is different though in that the way to overcome him isn't to directly make his gimmicky jank fail so much as it is to stop him from being able to use that gimmicky jank by way of pressure.

In other words, he can be truly fearsome and very strong in the right circumstances, but as you go higher and higher in level and in tiers he'll drop off a lot more. I would put him as a solid low tier, but nothing abysmal, not nearly. His ability to rack up damage off a few hits and convert that to a kill is far too powerful for him to be a bottom 5 character (most of the heavies in this game are decent for that reason - their hit rewards is good enough to keep them relevant for the most part unless they're really getting shut down).

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Customs most likely I'd guess.

But speaking of bottom characters, do you think we can make a consensus bottom 5, like we have (nearly) at the top? Zelda and SF are probably sure bets but then who? Before Shaya posted I would have included G&W due to his weight but now I'm not sure. Is there anyone else that is inarguably "not good"? (Since bad is mostly not true for this smash)
W/O customs, :4zelda::4palutena::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucina: are for sure the bottom five, with some other contenders being:4falco::4miisword::4samus::4wiifit::4gaw:. Out of the entire cast I feel :4zelda:and:4littlemac:are tied for the worst character in the game, but they really aren't that much worse than the rest of the cast.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
FLUDD has always been misunderstood, so it doesn't surprise me. While Tornado is legitimately amazing for what it does, FLUDD is strong in it's own right.

To be frank, I can't list a confident bottom 5, but if I had to, it would be: :4kirby::4samus::4palutena::4miisword::4zelda: (Ordered from Best of the Worst to Worst of the Worst). I'm only confident in saying these characters are on the lower end of the spectrum, and I only have personal experience with Samus.
Gonna sound like every "low-tier" main ever here, but I don't think Palutena is that bad. I mean yeah, she's tall, light, her tilts/smash attacks are slow, she struggles to keep people off her and killing can be challenging, but I feel she has enough going for her to not be bottom 5. Good mobility, incredible jab that you can do a lot of things out of (Jab>Instant Dash Attack, Jab>Grab, even Jab>Smash Attack at really high %s), powerful and unbeatable B-air/Dash Attack, etc...

I feel it's worth mentioning that Ryo actually prefers fighting Diddy with Palutena over Ike and Captain Falcon. He's been doing rather well with her, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_vToRXIZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7tug62o5ZI
http://youtu.be/2WPi9EdchLg?t=15m40s

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, I'm starting to get the impression that when ever people mention characters are drastically improved from the customs, I feel it's merely listening to what the folks at the Smash Reddit section are parroting instead of actual having the experience to prove their point.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
yo can mac get a tier outside the tier list? because he's FAR too polarized to have a tier on the list, especially when he's top 10 on one stage and bottom 5 on another. he's too inconsistent to place properly.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
yo can mac get a tier outside the tier list? because he's FAR too polarized to have a tier on the list, especially when he's top 10 on one stage and bottom 5 on another. he's too inconsistent to place properly.
Then we should do the same for x zoning character when they are at (optimal length away from their opponent here). And how about close range based characters when they're close instead of far away?

It's an issue of strength and weaknesses. All should be considered for placement, even if they are "top 5 in x condition and bottom 5 in y condition."

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hmmm...I wonder,
Does anyone think the number of good players on for glory will slowly increase as the meta grows?
Yeah, there will always be new scrubs, but as the meta grows, people progressively improve.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
The thing about D-air is that it's "kills" aren't static like other kill moves. You will never kill Villager with D-air.
Oh, but I can. If I use it on Stage, the last hit/shockwave does Kill. Come on, man, you used to use Sword Fighter. You should know this.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Then again I wouldn't mind if there was a Teams tier list, though that depends on how much different Teams is from the normal Singles. I know there are niches that are only possible on Teams.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hmmm...I wonder,
Does anyone think the number of good players on for glory will slowly increase as the meta grows?
Yeah, there will always be new scrubs, but as the meta grows, people progressively improve.
ehhhhh yes and no people will get better because the For Glory meta (roll sniping/anti spam) will probably get better but not because of the actual meta.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
W/O customs, :4zelda::4palutena::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucina: are for sure the bottom five, with some other contenders being:4falco::4miisword::4samus::4wiifit::4gaw:. Out of the entire cast I feel :4zelda:and:4littlemac:are tied for the worst character in the game, but they really aren't that much worse than the rest of the cast.
If you honestly think Little Mac is worse than Mii Swordfighter, customless Brawler, Palutena, Kirby, and D3, I don't know what to say. I don't mean MUs, I mean actually how good they are.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Then again I wouldn't mind if there was a Teams tier list, though that depends on how much different Teams is from the normal Singles. I know there are niches that are only possible on Teams.
Doubles is a very different animal from singles. It's best to just keep the two separate. Those good in singles are naturally good in doubles, but there are certain attributes are more emphasized in doubles that make it a different game. For instance, Zelda has a niche in doubles because Farore's Wind keeps both opponents on guard at all times, Din's can actually be useful, and team setups into lightning kicks are deadly. And Zelda doesn't even abuse the team attack on system of doubles.

If you honestly think Little Mac is worse than Mii Swordfighter, customless Brawler, Palutena, Kirby, and D3, I don't know what to say. I don't mean MUs, I mean actually how good they are.
What's the difference?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Oh, but I can. If I use it on Stage, the last hit/shockwave does Kill. Come on, man, you used to use Sword Fighter. You should know this.
My bad when I think "Killing with D-air" I think kickbutt gimp and forget about the shock wave.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well for starters, those other characters you mention don't die in like three seconds as soon as "airgame" is mentioned.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Hmmm...I wonder,
Ah i get it, the good players will demoralize the noobs thus wiping them out of existence only leaving the good players online. I can roll with that.

Yeah i notice that too like after Apex i see more Pac-man,Falcon and Diddy. Its a shame the majority of good players on FG are from the US since 95% of the time it lags thus killing my MK completely. :(

Pyr

Smash Lord
Well for starters, those other characters you mention don't die in like three seconds as soon as "airgame" is mentioned.
Those characters also don't have me saying, "I have to respect their strong points or I'm going to die in 20 seconds."

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
My bad when I think "Killing with D-air" I think BA gimp and forget about the shockwave.
It is cool bro. Swordfighter can be forgettable. There is only so many of us. I still do not know how you guys land the BA gimp consistently. It is easy with Kirby and Bowser Jr. (to an extent). Perhaps, I need to stop FF when using it.

Anyways... let's not cloud this thread with Swordfighter nonsense. Continue as you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom