• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I would say that the MU is around 50-50 but saying that TL doesnt have an edgeguard game against Ganon is false. Boomerang or bomb into forward air is an easy combo and is true if done fast enough (Bombs need to be jump canceled for that). Just spamming bomb and boomerang to ganon offstage is often enough to edgeguard him since his recovery sucks that much. Gimp, backair is also good to kill ganon.
That's cool and all, but I don't think that's really reliable enough to hit any recovery with any consistency except like Little Mac's unless Ganondorf DIed very poorly. More importantly, TL has pretty poor tools for edgeguarding low outside of Bomb drop and hoping for a fairly telegraphed stage spike.

There are some characters that can be scary to recover against as Ganondorf. TL really isn't one of them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I've been seeing a lot of tier list putting fox at Top tier or high tier and I'm confused as to why this is. Apart from his recovery being buffed, he got several nerfs from brawl, such as lasers and most of his ariels having landing lag, his Usmash having less range and most of his attacks dealing less damage in general. If i'm not mistaken, he also doesn't have great matchups vs the current top tier characters.
It's mostly his ability to rack up damage fast, mobility, and kill moves that make him a good character and allows him to keep pace with characters like Sheik, Diddy, and Sonic.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It's mostly his ability to rack up damage fast, mobility, and kill moves that make him a good character and allows him to keep pace with characters like Sheik, Diddy, and Sonic.
sorry my curiosity is killing me. but were u always a moderator?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
You assume, however, that Ganon players will not advance along with the Sheiks, Pikas, and Sonics.

It's just an opinion anyway. We really can't assume either side at this point.
The frame data and speed for the speedsters is so good that player skill has a LOT of room to grow, the ceiling of 'what is possible with this character' is high. As Fox, you can bair ff bait to a grab, or nair bait to a dj uair. (etc etc) They can do so many things in the same timeframe that a heavy can, allowing for more liquid play and emergent decisions to be made in a match.

As a slower character, and especially a heavy, you're locked into your moves more and thus the ceiling for execution is lower. If you're going for an Up Air, then you're going for an Up Air. You can bait an air dodge and surprise them with something else, but the effectiveness of that bait is severely decreased because you're so much slower than them and have to commit more to each action.

As a slower heavy character, you end up playing a game of Chess while your opponent is too busy slapping you in the face repeatedly. The game becomes more like Chess for you, . Meanwhile the speedsters are playing Chess too, but their version includes slapping you in the face over and over.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Just going to say that Smash 4 is gonna be at Evo 2015
Mewtwo confirmed!
now how do we get them to allow customs? :D

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The frame data and speed for the speedsters is so good that player skill has a LOT of room to grow, the ceiling of 'what is possible with this character' is high. As Fox, you can bair ff bait to a grab, or nair bait to a dj uair. (etc etc) They can do so many things in the same timeframe that a heavy can, allowing for more liquid play and emergent decisions to be made in a match.

As a slower character, and especially a heavy, you're locked into your moves more and thus the ceiling for execution is lower. If you're going for an Up Air, then you're going for an Up Air. You can bait an air dodge and surprise them with something else, but the effectiveness of that bait is severely decreased because you're so much slower than them and have to commit more to each action.

As a slower heavy character, you end up playing a game of Chess while your opponent is too busy slapping you in the face repeatedly. The game becomes more like Chess for you, . Meanwhile the speedsters are playing Chess too, but their version includes slapping you in the face over and over.
interestingly enough many great chess tactics require a bit of risky sacrifice.
so when playing with characters like ganon it really just translates to how well u get inside ones head. cuz if u can make the reads why the hell not?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
No idea, but I'd like to see customs at Evo and I think many would.
god damn it can we just donate a smash bros game with all customs unlocked to the EVO crew and perhaps some links 2 @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos data for what sets to create and use ???!!!!!
This NEEDS to happen.
my body is sooooo ready.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There are certain projectiles that can't be reflected in the normal way. Force Palm Flare is probably one of them. Some of them just have a static stage position (PK Flash, Villager's USmash) and some are only reflectable by specific means (Luma Shot). Not sure where the Force Palm Flare fits into that, but Villager being unable to Pocket it doesn't surprise me. He can't typically Pocket projectiles that are more or less connected to the character using them, like Olimar's Pikmin and a Lloid Rocket that another Villager is riding. Although on that second one, the Rocket can be reflected and if it is, Villager had better bail if he doesn't want to be in a world of hurt.
Actually, I know for a fact in Brawl and I'm 80% sure this game that PK Flash can be reflected. I know it can be reflected by another Ness batting it at the moment of detonation in Brawl (or Lucas), and when that happens the result is hilarious. :laugh: :D

But the point is a fair one. :3

Honestly, I'm not seeing much evidence either way, it seems like very few tournaments are running them (and, no offence to you or your friends, but we really need to bring a lot of people together to do a thorough test). I've seen like one streamed tournament that had customs on. Do you know of any weeklies that are using the proposals from the custom movesets project?

We do but I don't think they've been tested enough for us to know for sure how strong they all are. We have some idea, but no doubt there is more tech to be found.

Jiggs isn't alone. Zelda looks like she will drop too (as though she had any further to go), and of course the Miis will drop some because they aren't getting any better (they already have their customs available).

This is why I want to see some estimate of just who benefits and how much before I can be convinced that it is a good idea. Or just some decently-sized tournaments running with customs on.
My region runs customs legal tournaments regularly and I'm going to tell you now that in my opinion customs are preeeeettttyyyy well balanced. Solid's logic is quite sound - generally, better characters will not gain as much from customs as worse characters. All that happens is our "viable" section of the roster becomes even more filled out. Say we have about 20 viable characters right now - customs takes that number to somewhere between 25 and 30 at the very least.

You can argue that they need more testing... So go and ask your regions to have them legal so they can be tested lawl. :3

But yeah, I think they're really good. :)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Do... do you know how competitive Smash works?
Why do you even ask this question? Did you even read my post? You said, basically, that "custom control schemes and counter-picking/banning process are basic fundamentals of competitive Smash and that customization isn't" I didn't dispute this, though the word competitive is entirely subjective but I will go into that more later. However I did say that they haven't always been like that. Custom control schemes first came about in Brawl, they never existed in Melee or 64, and there was no precedent for them. Competitive Melee for the longest time use to have all stages legal and only random was used to select stages. Heck the the west coast for Competitive Melee use to play with items on and the east coast use to play with 3 stocks. But the rules have changed and evolved (or devolved based on your views). The basic point I'm to get at is those things weren't always here but they eventually became the norm and that the same should happen with customization. They take just as much time as setting up custom moves or making a quick mii (and in the case of stage striking/banning sometimes longer). There are also things like hand-warmers and coaching between games that add to the time factor for tourneys.

The only restriction that should be placed on Miis is default height and weight and that's only for the sake of logistics at larger tournaments. I don't buy into the notion that no-customs will become the default. I would be happy for custom size miis to be legal though, but baby steps mim.
I won't be happy until I can play the character I want to main exactly like I want to play him. This means short/skinny 3222 set-up. Average weight/height kills what I want out of the character. It always comes back to the logistics "issue". Firstly, I'm quite confident that is has already been established that time isn't a big problem, and there are already other things that take-up time as well as seen above. Second take into account, overall, the popularity of means (even with full customization allowed) and we have also established, rather well, that different sized Miis change more for the player playing them then it does for the opponent. So what exactly is the big issue?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Why do you even ask this question? Did you even read my post? You said, basically, that "custom control schemes and counter-picking/banning process are basic fundamentals of competitive Smash and that customization isn't" I didn't dispute this, though the word competitive is entirely subjective but I will go into that more later. However I did say that they haven't always been like that. Custom control schemes first came about in Brawl, they never existed in Melee or 64, and there was no precedent for them. Competitive Melee for the longest time use to have all stages legal and only random was used to select stages. Heck the the west coast for Competitive Melee use to play with items on and the east coast use to play with 3 stocks. But the rules have changed and evolved (or devolved based on your views). The basic point I'm to get at is those things weren't always here but they eventually became the norm and that the same should happen with customization. They take just as much time as setting up custom moves or making a quick mii (and in the case of stage striking/banning sometimes longer). There are also things like hand-warmers and coaching between games that add to the time factor for tourneys.

I won't be happy until I can play the character I want to main exactly like I want to play him. This means short/skinny 3222 set-up. Average weight/height kills what I want out of the character. It always comes back to the logistics "issue". Firstly, I'm quite confident that is has already been established that time isn't a big problem, and there are already other things that take-up time as well as seen above. Second take into account, overall, the popularity of means (even with full customization allowed) and we have also established, rather well, that different sized Miis change more for the player playing them then it does for the opponent. So what exactly is the big issue?
i dont think any of us would be content until we can play our characters just the way we want 2.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one

-Spock

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Instead of slapping, we're just flat out punching you.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
god damn it can we just donate a smash bros game with all customs unlocked to the EVO crew and perhaps some links 2 @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos data for what sets to create and use ???!!!!!
This NEEDS to happen.
my body is sooooo ready.
Yes please. Hell, I have them all unlocked myself. It's just that I live nowhere near Evo and I'm not exactly willing to risk shipping my console across the country.

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
So Xanadu was interesting tonight. Pink Fresh playing well as Pit, then getting bodied by Boss's Luigi in grand finals, then a friendly where Boss got decidedly beaten by a guy playing Metaknight. Those Uair -> Uair -> Uair -> Uair (I honestly lost track) -> UpB combos man.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
So Xanadu was interesting tonight. Pink Fresh playing well as Pit, then getting bodied by Boss's Luigi in grand finals, then a friendly where Boss got decidedly beaten by a guy playing Metaknight. Those Uair -> Uair -> Uair -> Uair (I honestly lost track) -> UpB combos man.
damn I went to the lab as soon as Xanadu ended lol

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
Yeah it was crazy tonight I can't wait for a highlight reel of Boss with destroying Pinkfresh with Down B then Spike

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Yeah, I don't think MK is bad in this game at all, really. Not sure how his ground speed stacked up in Brawl but it's pretty fast now and his air speed got a major buff. Between his multiple jumps and above average air and ground speeds, he's one of the more mobile characters. His sword, shortened though it may be, still provides great disjoints. Grab game is good, offstage game is great.

He's just not an easy mode character anymore; you're going to have to work while using him.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
i dont think any of us would be content until we can play our characters just the way we want 2.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one

-Spock
It's not a matter of need for those against it though. It's a matter of people being lazy and wanting to create stupid arbitrary rules so as to continue being lazy because most of the arguments brought up against customization for Miis are poorly constructed.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
4 UP air into UPB
does not work on every character but does work on diddy (starting at 32% for true combo) and luigi for example

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It's not a matter of need for those against it though. It's a matter of people being lazy and wanting to create stupid arbitrary rules so as to continue being lazy because most of the arguments brought up against customization for Miis are poorly constructed.
once these TO's stop being lazy tell them to unlock all the custom moves while ur at it.
*edit*
this is actually a more earnest statment. after re reading it it seemed more like a asshole response so i just wanted to get that across.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master

4 UP air into UPB
does not work on every character but does work on diddy (starting at 32% for true combo) and luigi for example
F-Smash is there for a reason bruh.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Hearing about stuff like that MK combo makes me so happy to play such a light and floaty character. Rosalina's physics aren't always my best friend, but when I'm getting hit and just want the combo to end, they sure are. Given that I mained Jigglypuff in Melee and G&W in Brawl, I seem to have a knack for picking characters that are hard to combo. It was actually always odd to me that being hard to combo and the upward effect that had on survivability was never a big point of focus in character quality discussions in general.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
That combo works on Rosalina too.

Starting from 24%.

EDIT: Actually the full combo string works even earlier than that, but it kills her starting from 24% without rage. Being floaty doesn't save you from Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman

Starting from 24%.

EDIT: Actually the full combo string works even earlier than that, but it kills her starting from 24% without rage. Being floaty doesn't save you from Meta Knight.
actually tried to be more precise now, 5UARS into upb true combo is possible if spaced correctly, if you get caught in a plataform your are pretty much dead, I must say that this combo is quite difficult so it's nothing compared to the hoo haa combo or ZSS Uair into Upb

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
actually tried to be more precise now, 5UARS into upb true combo is possible if spaced correctly, if you get caught in a plataform your are pretty much dead, I must say that this combo is quite difficult so it's nothing compared to the hoo haa combo or ZSS Uair into Upb
iv only seen gameplay once of sombody doing this effortlessly on mutiple situations in combat but that vid was lost in my history.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

Starting from 24%.

Is this tested against a human inputting proper DI and SDI? I have bad experiences with people telling me stuff is a combo and then it turning out not to be since it was done against training mode dummies; I just want to be sure about how this works in specific.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Is this tested against a human inputting proper DI and SDI? I have bad experiences with people telling me stuff is a combo and then it turning out not to be since it was done against training mode dummies; I just want to be sure about how this works in specific.
No, it's against a training dummy.

I'd be interested in the results of human testing with non-floaties as well though, because as a training dummy even Fox seems to launch too high sometimes, so if proper DI can escape it I don't think it's character specific.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Didn't I post a gif of MK doing this combo a week ago? Freaking Xanadu effect.

TriTails

Smash Lord
My issue with Luigi is that, while his frame data and speed to power ratio are the best in the game which is no small thing, his mobility is fairly poor overall especially in terms of air speed and that makes his neutral pretty hard in some match-ups. He has super stubby limbs and even less average range than Mario to go with this. I'm legitimately unsure how Luigi approaches Villager as an especially notable point of concern. Luigi's recovery is also really gimpable even moreso than Mario's even if the distance can be good if you have superhuman mash abilities; that also concerns me. His traction also makes him miss out on some punishes and makes some neutral stuff hard on him (like run up shield is only a viable approach for him if you powershield); it's really not a good thing. He's a good character but he's flawed whereas Mario is weaker in his core competencies but also significantly less flawed. While I'm not inherently wedded to well-rounded-itis, my rough estimation is that Mario comes out ahead in this. The high tiers are also crowded and Luigi is kinda difficult to place; I probably put him on the low end of reasonable but some of that was having optimism for other characters and not just pessimism for Luigi. I do think the balance in this game is pretty goodso a third tier character is still a pretty good character.
Can I ask some things?

Luigi's mobility problems, no questions. Though the Nado is there, it is still quite poor.

Um, I don't get on how Luigi has 'less average range' than Mario. The only moves that Mario has better range than Weegee is F-smash (Obvious), D-air, D-tilt, Fireballs, and SJP. Dash attack to some extent. Other moves, Luigi wins because his limbs are longer than his bro. Please correct me if you see some odd things.

Luigi's recovery is pretty reliable. If you mindgames your opponent well, changing on how to recover each time (Going high or low, with mix of Cyclone and Missile), it's pretty nifty. And apparently, it goes father distance than Mario, and can save him from semi-spikes. Boss is also one of the few who can utilize jumpless Cyclone, so since this is possible, this should be taken to account. Luigi has a lot of ways to mix his recovery up, and Cyclone goes ridiculiously high that, I consider it the 'real' Up-b. I'm serious, Nado goes even higher than SJP, like 1.5x of it?

Though, it's gimpable, I admit. But Boss rarely dies from gimps, he seem to be utilizing Luigi's recovery to its full potential. I have seen him, getting launched back without his double jump, and Green Missile'd to a point where SJP won't save him, and he is pretty low and far from the ledge.

What did he do though? That's right, the 'only for bosses' jumpless Cyclone, and he manages to get back.

His approach is difficult, but I think Fireballs + Cyclone or SHFF spaced aerials can help him out a bit. He isn't exactly good at approaching, but his viable approach option other than run to shield would be SHFF spaced aerials, or... the 'punish to approach' thing like slower characters do. Also works quite well since his punish game is brutal (Low percentage? D-throw. High perentage? FJP in the gut).

He slides? Oh right, well, he HAS the lowest traction. Wouldn't be surprised from that. Though, I find out that rolls cancel out his sliding, so after the shield stun's gone, you can roll to either get back to neutral or counter attack (Depends on the opponent). I think that's better than having to run in one place for a good few seconds uncontrollably.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

And I apologize for my ignorant post back then.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
once these TO's stop being lazy tell them to unlock all the custom moves while ur at it.
*edit*
this is actually a more earnest statment. after re reading it it seemed more like a ******* response so i just wanted to get that across.
I have all customs moves unlocked on my 3DS, I've had it like for while now. I'm not even close to have unlocked all the moves on the Wii-U, but frankly I'm not even trying. But I'm not worried about because I have my 3DS with them all unlocked. That is really all that is needed, a single 3DS and AA's customs project along with a "bring your own character" clause for those who have something not listed in the project.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ TriTails TriTails rolling towards your opponent to cancel the slide is an awful idea. You should be getting hit during the endframes of your roll before you can perfect pivot/dashdance in either direction or even short hop. The best way to improve your position when sliding away would likely be mixing up between empty short hops, short hop b reversed fireballs and short hop turnaround b fireballs. If you can B reverse the grounded tornado that'd be an option.

I stand by my Toon Link > Ganon statement. Yeah, projectile spam takes time to set up, but what are you gonna do, rush me down at the speed of slow? That is a very rough matchup for Ganon, however we all know it's only a few reads. In my opinion, Tlink doesn't need to make any difficult reads at all as it's safe to throw out projectiles and well spaced aerials no matter what, and the only hard reads Tlink has to make is air/spot dodge reads which are very punishable (and very baitable, did I mention 3 projectiles?). I'm also not sure Ganon has an answer to utilt + uair + projectile juggling. This probably applies to all large and slow characters vs Tlink.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I have all customs moves unlocked on my 3DS, I've had it like for while now. I'm not even close to have unlocked all the moves on the Wii-U, but frankly I'm not even trying. But I'm not worried about because I have my 3DS with them all unlocked. That is really all that is needed, a single 3DS and AA's customs project along with a "bring your own character" clause for those who have something not listed in the project.
glad your prepared i dont have all customs on either system but i sure do got it for the characters want.

@ Pazx Pazx
an interesting thing to note that ganons dash attack eats through both boomarang and low charge arrow.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm also not sure Ganon has an answer to utilt + uair + projectile juggling. This probably applies to all large and slow characters vs Tlink.
Aerial Wizkick. I'm not sure on the startup frames and it's risky if it misses, but the move is brutally powerful and hard to interrupt. It'll KO around 90% fresh and is always something to keep in mind when juggling Ganon. You not being aware of this makes me think you haven't fought many good Ganons.

As a side note, losing that trump card seems to be the main reason that you wouldn't want Wizard's Dropkick, although the latter also helps you escape juggles in a different way.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
So let's just start hosting tournaments with customs enabled. IF a problem shows up, THEN we can deal with it. I don't see the point of being against customs.
It's very important to note that I'm not "against' customs, I just think they need to be thoroughly tested before we can unequivocally declare that the customs-on metagame is superior to customs-off.

The hell you on? Miis are being hella gimped right now in most rule-sets out there. They are being restricted by arbitrary rules to being forced to go 1111 and average height/weight because people are stupid and think it is “unfair” for them to have their customization when none of the other characters can despite them not needing the “custom” toggle on.
In this thread, it seems like anyone giving an opinion on the Miis has been assuming they have all of their customizations available.

I've been seeing a lot of tier list putting fox at Top tier or high tier and I'm confused as to why this is. Apart from his recovery being buffed, he got several nerfs from brawl, such as lasers and most of his ariels having landing lag, his Usmash having less range and most of his attacks dealing less damage in general. If i'm not mistaken, he also doesn't have great matchups vs the current top tier characters.
As one of the most combo-oriented fighters, he benefits a lot from the global system changes. Also, a huge recovery buff like that is never something to shake a stick at.

My region runs customs legal tournaments regularly
Any streams available?

You can argue that they need more testing... So go and ask your regions to have them legal so they can be tested
Honestly, my region has almost no scene (we have precisely one weekly for the whole province and it doesn't seem well-attended), so I don't think we can help much in the research department.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom