• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Lucario mains seem to be focusing on his nerfs while everyone else is focusing on what aura can do at its best. Disregarding both, I think he's comparable to how he was in Brawl compared to the rest of the cast. The focus moved slightly more into keeping him alive at high %s, and he lost some reach while gaining speed on his moves.
I pretty much agree except the bolded is untrue. Pretty much all of his moves have the same start-up as they did in brawl, and some of them might even be a frame or so slower. I'm not as sure about his end lag, but it feels pretty much unchanged except for aura sphere, which feels like it has more end lag than before. His smashes might be in the same boat, I'm not sure.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The fact that Diddy's recovery isn't great like most of his attributes doesn't make his recovery a weakness. It makes it average. Same with his aerial speed. It's important to distinguish weaknesses from imperfection, as the gap between the meanings of those two terms is quite large.

E: As an example I could say that Falcon lacking projectiles is a weakness, but it isn't because he has the tools (speed, jab, fast empty hops because of 5 frame jump and being a fastfaller) to deal with it. While Diddy is gimpable he has two recoveries, one of which is also a command grab, to mix it up and have increased options to recover high and challenge his opponents with his great aerials and cg.
No... His recovery is a weakness. Falcon lacking projectiles is a weakness. When you can exploit something, it's a weakness. When you have Diddy the air and can weave in and out to bait an aerial/side-B while he can't, that's exploiting a weakness. An imperfection is like how Diddy's jab isn't great or the popgun is not a great projectile. They are average/serviceable but not great or exploitable. Diddy's recovery is bad/exploitable and Captain's lack of projectile hurts him against characters that can slow him down since he is absolutely forced to approach anyone with a projectile.

Falcon can go high or low with 2 options of side-B and up-B, but you still call his recovery exploitable.

It's been brought up before, but Pit is more of a character with few weaknesses but non-overwhelming strengths.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
After being around the game pretty heavily for about a month now, I'll post an educated guess on what I think the tier list might eventually look like, also as something to look back at later to see how accurate/inaccurate it was:
S: :4diddy: :4sheik:

A: :4yoshi: :4sonic: :rosalina: :4zss: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4fox: :4villager: :4lucario: :4falcon: :4wario: :4darkpit: :4pit: :4mario: :4megaman: :4luigi:

B: :4rob: :4greninja: :4peach: :4pacman: :4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4duckhunt: :4shulk: :4robinm: :4dedede: :4metaknight: :4olimar: :4myfriends: :4dk: :4tlink: :4bowserjr: :4marth: :4falco: :4palutena: :4link:

C: :4littlemac: :4ganondorf: :4charizard: :4gaw: :4wiifit: :4zelda: :4kirby: :4lucina: :4drmario: :4samus:

Diddy and Sheik deserve their own tier because they both have massive strengths with no real weaknesses. Sheik's KO power isn't that bad considering how deep offstage she can go and how safe up b seems to be in many situations.

Yoshi similarly has no exploitable weaknesses but his strengths aren't as overpowering as the former two, while Sonic has a terrible aerial acceleration and, while annoying, fairly punishable approach options. Rosalina on the other hand is pretty much helpless without Luma when its capitalized. ZSS, Ness, Pikachu and Fox all have solid setups and projectiles that won't go away no matter how much the metagame develops, making them solid picks for characters as well, with some quirks to balance them out such as Ness' bad recovery or exceptionally light weight for the other three. This is where I'd draw the line if A tier was divided into A+ and A-, because this is where characters start to have more apparent weaknesses.

Villager is definitely A tier, and the only reason he's not considered better more widely is because of a lack of representation at tournaments (Salem or somebody pls change this). He has limited close combat options but in my opinion the most dynamic projectiles in the game and a strong offstage game with his great aerials and recovery. Lucario mains seem to be focusing on his nerfs while everyone else is focusing on what aura can do at its best. Disregarding both, I think he's comparable to how he was in Brawl compared to the rest of the cast. The focus moved slightly more into keeping him alive at high %s, and he lost some reach while gaining speed on his moves. Falcon has a bit of under-representation as well despite good players occasionally picking him, but once someone really focuses on him and puts his mobility and 50:50 traps as well as true combo Knee setups to good use people will see just why he really is so solid. He has an exploitable recovery, but he also has something where other high speed characters are lacking which is strong kill power.

I'm just assuming Dark Pit and Pit will eventually have similar effective capabilities despite their attributes being tuned somewhat differently. Mario is an all-around good character with solid throw setups, while Luigi has awkward movement and aerial speed, but is a killing machine once he gets in with his throw setups, smashes and even up b. I feel like he's a Mario with more extreme pros and cons and no cape. Mega Man is probably the second best zoner in the game with better close-combat options than Villager thanks to his fair, bair and especially a solid grab. Wario is someone I haven't seen as much as I'd like, but he doesn't seem to have any considerable weaknesses and his overall aerial mobility is arguably the best in the game, as is his height/weight ratio. Rage also helps him more than anyone else in this tier, Falcon being 2nd in that and Ness/Mario/Luigi 3rd.

B tier I'm the most uncertain of compared to the other tiers. I basically drew the line where the seriously good grab games and setups end or where more considerable weaknesses begin. Aside from Diddy and Sheik, I think these characters can still easily compete with A tier, but just aren't quite as solid overall. I'm the most uncertain of Greninja, Peach, Pac-Man and Bowser Jr. in this category, but I have the perception that the first three are at least good, DHD is decent and Bowser Jr. isn't terrible. Meta Knight, Olimar, TL, Marth and Falco got nerfed quite hard and partially because of that are being slightly slept on. They aren't that bad. Rage helps Bowser, Dedede, DK and Ike a ton, but big frames and/or slow speed are very fundamental weaknesses, although Bowser moves really fast (and as a side note has great OoS option in up b), hence having the highest viability out of those. I feel like they gave Robin slightly too much weaknesses to balance out his/her strengths. A slow running speed, limited close-combat options and a short (although quick) grab aren't a good combination. I'm kinda still feeling out Shulk, but the control the player is given with him shows potential. He has slow attacks but a lot of range and some good autocancels to complement it.

C tier is where huge weaknesses or overall mediocrity begins, but they can still have plenty of good match-ups vs all of the higher tiers. Mac still seems decent for now, but this is one case I feel will change once people start to truly capitalize on his non-existent recovery and aerial options. He still has pretty much the best ground game of course, but that won't help him half the time. Ganondorf strikes the hardest hits in the game, but it doesn't matter in the match-ups where he simply can't get in. These two are above the rest because they have these niches, and the rest are basically the "mediocre" part.
why is d3 above charizard/ganon?

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
which characters are worse than zard then? wanna betcha we could make similar cases for them?

people always say "nah x character isn't low tier", the only exception to this rule is Swordfighter, it always makes me wonder which characters those people actually think are the ****y ones

could smogfrog and klefki please list all the characters they think are worse than zard?
I would be happy to do this. I am well aware that many of my opinions are going to spark some debate and backlash throughout this post, and I will respond to them in kind. Let's just try to keep it classy. Also be aware this is not a list of Charizards favorable MUs, as characters low on a tier list can end up being counters to high tiered characters.
Without further ado, let's get started.

Characters I think Charizard is better than:

Diddy Kong: ... Just kidding.
Mr. Game and Watch: This has been said before. Game and Watch lost his niche as a glass cannon and now is just plain glass. Clocking in as the game's 2nd lightest character, it doesn't take much to send this guy flying. This does not necessarily make a character bad. Let's take a look at the lightest character in the game bar Shulk smash monado, Jigglypuff. Though Jigglypuff is easy to KO, she hits like a truck. She's also got pretty good recovery, mobility, and the great wall of Jigglypuff seems to be making a comeback, obviously meaning she's got some good off stage options. Game and Watch, however... Sorry buddy.

Olimar: A coward who literally sacrifices his underlings for victory. Obviously no match for the ****ing beastial inferno dragon, Charizard. But on a serious note Olimar got a sizable amount of nerfs this go round. From decreased range, mobility, power, a worse recovery move, and in general his pikmin are kinda screwy now (3ds version only, apparently). His grab game has received heavy nerfs, having little follow up potential and weak knockback. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm no Olimar main.

Zelda: Winning an award for one of smash's most disappointing characters, I feel like Zelda is leagues behind Zard. She has below average KO power, clunky techniques and mobility, and really just lacks many useful options outside of upb (which is admittedly good). On top of all that she's easy to KO. Zelda seemingly has no saving grace amidst a plethora of weaknesses.

Samus: She's a close contender, but in the end I feel like Charizard gets the edge. A lot of what made Samus at least viable in Brawl were nerfed out of her. Her off stage and ledge play game got nerfed into the ground... Missile cancel, gone. Zair and her spike were nerfed. And that's just to name a few. Though she did get a few notable buffs, I feel like she's definitely gotten weaker. However I have a very superficial understanding of the character, so once again correct me if I'm wrong.

Wii Fit Trainer: WFT has been a weak character since her inception. From average mobility, pitiful attack range, overly precise hitboxes, disgusting grab range, to not very useful aerial/special attacks.. It seems obvious to me that Charizard is a stronger character. She needs buffs, honestly. Like real bad. I would be very surprised if she ends up anything more than bottom tier.

Little Mac: Charizard and Little Mac have a lot of similarities if you think about it. Good dash speed, great KO power, a lot of super armor. Little Mac beats out Charizard in a number of categories, namely attack speed, speed in general, a smaller hurtbox, and in extension to attack speed, his kill moves come out quicker. However I'm convinced that Charizard beats out Little Mac in many many more categories. Charizard has more kill moves, he can recover pretty well, he actually HAS an aerial game, a good one at that. Charizard is almost ungimpable if played correctly, his special moves are more useful than mac's (His side b and up b are simply better versions of Mac's...) and last but not least, Charizard can live for a very very long time.

Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt seems pretty strong at first. Good mobility, and very reliable projectiles. But that's as far as he goes. Duck Hunt can do very little other than spam projectiles. He has some of the worst KO options in the game. Couple that with an extremely gimpable recover and you got yourself a shaky counterpick character, if even that.

Lucina: Lucina will fall out to the bottom solely based on the fact that she's a worse version of Marth. Only time will tell though.

Pit, Toon Link, Dr Mario: same as above. Debate as to which version is better than the other is for another day.

Characters I think Charizard could be better than, or on the same level as, but requires more research and development:
DK
Bowser
Falco
D3
Ganondorf
Wario
Kirby
Pacman
Meta Knight
Palutena
Mario
Greninja (just cause he's fast doesn't mean he's good.)
Bowser Jr
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Peach

Obviously, NONE of this stuff is set in stone and is mere speculation. But I honestly think Charizard has the tools to be a threat in the current metagame. I've also had quite a bit of success with Charizard. I've been to a few tourneys already with my Charizard, only losing to Diddy Kongs, Sheiks, Zamus, and Rosalinas. I know that really doesn't mean much, but I feel like we should give the world's most loved pokemon a shot. He deserves a fair chance.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
So you have a character with a small hurtbox, not too shabby KO power, amazing mobility, a serviceable projectile, a good recovery, good offstage/gimp game, good grab followups, and quick punishes. Against him, he has a startup mediocre grab, KO power isn't amazing (but still not bad), medium-ish weight, OoS issues and some trouble with approaches (though can poke well). I think the former outweighs the latter here overall. I don't think Greninja is top 3 in the game but people are discrediting him way too much after 1.0.4.
Agreed, after patch 1.04 came out I thought greninja was done for. However, after getting used to the changes he's only slightly worse, and I believe that he is still at least top 15 in the game.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
It seems that most people agree that Wario is high tier but no one will say why. After playing (and Winning) a lot with Wario i have a theory to work with:

Wario is a jack of all trades who, instead of being average, is overall stronger then the rest of the cast.

While his mix-ups aren't as strong as Diddy it is still ridiculously strong. With the Bike, Wario has amazing recovery and this allows to edgeguard similarly to Shiek but he Koes in Percentages Shiek wishes she could get. Also Wario is ridiculously heavy combined with his Bike his survivability borders that of Yoshi. I haven't even talked about Wario Waft and how that makes his edgeguards so strong. Let's not forget about his great aerials and horizontal speed and how Chomp means he is almost unrivaled in the air.
Seriously though the biggest thing about Wario is that there is no Grab Release BS to artificially weaken him. Brawl Wario was already strong despite the Grab Release ruining his day.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
why is d3 above charizard/ganon?
My guess is that it's because he probably has more matchups in his favor than those two, and said matchups tend to be easier than Charizard/Ganon's. I do think D3 is a bit less viable as a main than those two because he has harder counters, especially in a customs legal environment, but he still wins against a decent percentage of the cast.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Characters I think Charizard could be better than, or on the same level as, but requires more research and development:
DK
Bowser
Falco
D3
Ganondorf
Wario
Kirby
Pacman
Meta Knight
Palutena
Mario
Bowser Jr
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Peach

Obviously, NONE of this stuff is set in stone and is mere speculation. But I honestly think Charizard has the tools to be a threat in the current metagame. I've also had quite a bit of success with Charizard. I've been to a few tourneys already with my Charizard, only losing to Diddy Kongs, Sheiks, Zamus, and Rosalinas. I know that really doesn't mean much, but I feel like we should give the world's most loved pokemon a shot. He deserves a fair chance.
Charizards worse than bowser, wario, packman,meta knight, mario, greninja, jigglypuff, luigi, and peach. All of those characters are drastically better than charizard.
Edit: and I know opinion on 3ds was that Olimar was horrible, but with improved ai on his pikmin, he is way better than he was on the 3ds, and in my opinion, is better than charizard.

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Charizards worse than bowser, wario, packman,meta knight, mario, greninja, jigglypuff, luigi, and peach. All of those characters are drastically better than charizard.
Edit: and I know opinion on 3ds was that Olimar was horrible, but with improved ai on his pikmin, he is way better than he was on the 3ds, and in my opinion, is better than charizard.
care to explain? Unless you would like me to go first, in which case you'll have to wait cause I'm about to eat dinner.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I pretty much agree except the bolded is untrue. Pretty much all of his moves have the same start-up as they did in brawl, and some of them might even be a frame or so slower. I'm not as sure about his end lag, but it feels pretty much unchanged except for aura sphere, which feels like it has more end lag than before. His smashes might be in the same boat, I'm not sure.
At least his bair, uair and dair have considerably less ending lag. I checked from the frame data I have.

No... His recovery is a weakness. Falcon lacking projectiles is a weakness. When you can exploit something, it's a weakness. When you have Diddy the air and can weave in and out to bait an aerial/side-B while he can't, that's exploiting a weakness. An imperfection is like how Diddy's jab isn't great or the popgun is not a great projectile. They are average/serviceable but not great or exploitable. Diddy's recovery is bad/exploitable and Captain's lack of projectile hurts him against characters that can slow him down since he is absolutely forced to approach anyone with a projectile.
Then we disagree on the viability of Diddy's recovery and the meaning of the word weakness. Being able to bait Diddy to make mistakes during his recovery doesn't matter because that's interaction between players. Diddy as a character has the tools to cover his recovery and make choices many others can't, and the range of his recovery tools combined isn't bad. It's the norm to have a recovery that can be gimped, not an exception, hence Diddy has an average one.

If you have a weakness that you can negate with other tools then it's not a weakness. Give me one example where Falcon's lack of projectiles can be exploited to the point it defines the matchup, hence being a weakness.

Falcon can go high or low with 2 options of side-B and up-B, but you still call his recovery exploitable.
This is an irrelevant comparison because his side b has short range and sends him into a freefall. Diddy's doesn't.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It seems that most people agree that Wario is high tier but no one will say why. After playing (and Winning) a lot with Wario i have a theory to work with:

Wario is a jack of all trades who, instead of being average, is overall stronger then the rest of the cast.

While his mix-ups aren't as strong as Diddy it is still ridiculously strong. With the Bike, Wario has amazing recovery and this allows to edgeguard similarly to Shiek but he Koes in Percentages Shiek wishes she could get. Also Wario is ridiculously heavy combined with his Bike his survivability borders that of Yoshi. I haven't even talked about Wario Waft and how that makes his edgeguards so strong. Let's not forget about his great aerials and horizontal speed and how Chomp means he is almost unrivaled in the air.
Seriously though the biggest thing about Wario is that there is no Grab Release BS to artificially weaken him. Brawl Wario was already strong despite the Grab Release ruining his day.
I'm willing to agree with this. Even with the nerfed air mobility compared to Brawl, he's still incredibly maneuverable in the air, and in this game that's an incredible thing to have. (And now I understand why he doesn't have his Brawl air mobility anymore) He can sweep in and out as much as he wants to, especially with how fast his FAir is, and he particularly shines off stage.

Chomp is an incredible and versatile move through and through, and a cornerstone of his offense. It can eat through so many moves, allow Wario to mix up his aerial approach and just generally shuts down a lot of options character have. I've faced another Wario, and as much as the Bikd gets, Chomp is really the one move I'd be scared of. He's got an incredible set of specials, Corkscrew aside. (which does its job I guess)

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman

Wario is average at best. He beats some top tiers and loses to some. He has slower air speed than yoshi and still no range or probecile( tho u can use his bike as one or use it to close the gap on the opponent). Also wario waft is scary but that's all it is if you don't use it properly or miss this is where wario reall struggles. He can't kill for crap. They nerf to his upair really hurt and his new smash is so terrible and has so much end lag it's to risky to do. ftilt has some killing power but not enough. His approach options are quite limited to sh Fair or bike like up. He's he's just average in a game where there is some killer good characters. I'd say he might be 20th or so in he game. I can't see him ever moving to top 10 or 15. Any other takers?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
If you have a weakness that you can negate with other tools then it's not a weakness. Give me one example where Falcon's lack of projectiles can be exploited to the point it defines the matchup, hence being a weakness.
I'll point out the logic flaw in this first sentence and then put aside the "weakness" discussion.
Greninja v Falcon is a perfect example. Both great in terms of speed and can do serious damage when they get in, but one of them is forced to approach while the other doesn't have to. Falcon has to play up close to do any sort of damage which makes him more predictable. If Greninja rolls away, Falcon has to chase or he will have to wade through the projectiles. If Falcon rolls away, Greninja can sit tight and use his projectile to create openings from a safe distance.

Falcon vs Ganondorf is another example where a lack of projectiles hurt him. You have to face Ganondorf at close quarters where he excels. Meanwhile, characters like Greninja can build up % from a safe distance.

If Falcon doesn't have the lead, a character with projectiles does not need to approach. This is why Little Mac can suffer at a high level, because on stages like Battlefield, you can sit on the top platform with a lead and Little Mac has to find a way to do some damage to you. Otherwise, he times out and loses.

Then we disagree on the viability of Diddy's recovery and the meaning of the word weakness. Being able to bait Diddy to make mistakes during his recovery doesn't matter because that's interaction between players. Diddy as a character has the tools to cover his recovery and make choices many others can't, and the range of his recovery tools combined isn't bad. It's the norm to have a recovery that can be gimped, not an exception, hence Diddy has an average one.
Weaving in and out isn't so much for during recovery, it's for on stage aerial combat. In air-air combat, Diddy loses to most characters because of this. It's an interaction between players, but Diddy as a character has less/worse options in air-air combat than most because of his poor airspeed. He doesn't have the option to bait characters by weaving, he has to commit.

It's not the norm to have a recovery where if you use it and get hit, you fall to the bottom with very slim chance of getting back. His up-B is incredibly vulnerable. Getting gimped by Sonic's spring or Sheik's needles shouldn't happen to most characters. In M2K's set vs Will, Diddy dies at like... 25% because he gets hit out of his up-B by a DK Nair. Or he gets gimped by a Z-dropped metal blade in ADHD's set vs Zucco's Mega Man. Diddy's poor recovery was exploited.

Also, unless Diddy jumps out of his side-B (negating the increased horizontal speed), he can't use his up-B. Therefore, his recovery options are not as strong as they might seem.

Re: Wario - Air mobility hasn't really been measured. We only have fall speeds and max-horizontal speed. Deceleration/acceleration is a big part of air mobility, and Wario is very good at this. Also, being slower to Yoshi in terms of air speed isn't bad. It's like being slower than Usain Bolt.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Not sure if oatmeal.
When your at Falcon speeds of approach you flipping outrun most projectiles and hell can interrupt some projectile casts before they even come out as a result.
It's not a real weakness because his mobility statistics on ground and his fast fall speed make it improbable for anyone but the most dedicated of spammers to do anything resembling real zoning.

its the same with Sonic. You have a projectile so what? I don't mind approaching anyways and whether you did or didn't I'd probably take the offensive because my engage is better then yours.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I'll point out the logic flaw in this first sentence and then put aside the "weakness" discussion.
Greninja v Falcon is a perfect example. Both great in terms of speed and can do serious damage when they get in, but one of them is forced to approach while the other doesn't have to. Falcon has to play up close to do any sort of damage which makes him more predictable. If Greninja rolls away, Falcon has to chase or he will have to wade through the projectiles. If Falcon rolls away, Greninja can sit tight and use his projectile to create openings from a safe distance.

Falcon vs Ganondorf is another example where a lack of projectiles hurt him. You have to face Ganondorf at close quarters where he excels. Meanwhile, characters like Greninja can build up % from a safe distance.

If Falcon doesn't have the lead, a character with projectiles does not need to approach. This is why Little Mac can suffer at a high level, because on stages like Battlefield, you can sit on the top platform with a lead and Little Mac has to find a way to do some damage to you. Otherwise, he times out and loses.

Weaving in and out isn't so much for during recovery, it's for on stage aerial combat. In air-air combat, Diddy loses to most characters because of this. It's an interaction between players, but Diddy as a character has less/worse options in air-air combat than most because of his poor airspeed. He doesn't have the option to bait characters by weaving, he has to commit.

It's not the norm to have a recovery where if you use it and get hit, you fall to the bottom with very slim chance of getting back. His up-B is incredibly vulnerable. Getting gimped by Sonic's spring or Sheik's needles shouldn't happen to most characters. In M2K's set vs Will, Diddy dies at like... 25% because he gets hit out of his up-B by a DK Nair. Or he gets gimped by a Z-dropped metal blade in ADHD's set vs Zucco's Mega Man. Diddy's poor recovery was exploited.

Also, unless Diddy jumps out of his side-B (negating the increased horizontal speed), he can't use his up-B. Therefore, his recovery options are not as strong as they might seem.

Re: Wario - Air mobility hasn't really been measured. We only have fall speeds and max-horizontal speed. Deceleration/acceleration is a big part of air mobility, and Wario is very good at this. Also, being slower to Yoshi in terms of air speed isn't bad. It's like being slower than Usain Bolt.
But why would I play a character who "owns" the air like wario is supposed to when I can play yoshi who our classes wario with his air moves, has a air projectile and can kill better than wario. See my point. Also yoshi has less bad MUs. wario is trash.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
On Tier Lists and the "Smash Tier List vs. Fighting Game Tier List" Effect:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! There's a few characters I may want to switch around a few spots in my next list as a result (no real drastic changes, just 2-3 spots), but I'm pretty happy with how it was received. With the exception of Pac-Man and (slightly) Robin, I think there won't be many changes. I'll be updating my list soon.

On the subject of tier lists, I want to point out a line of thinking that has plagued this thread for some time now, and it's the "Smash Tier List vs. Fighting Game Tier List" Effect.

I think the Smash community in general (with this thread being a microcosm of it) has kind of fallen into a trap where the community thinks that characters are so well balanced, a small number of sections in a tier list makes sense. Here's the issue, though: people are quick to say that X character is as good as Y character because this is the first Smash Brothers game where there is no outright collection of really bad characters. The Smash community has been used to Melee and Brawl tiers where there have been outright noticeable differences between characters where low tier characters absolutely cannot win tournaments or have extreme difficulty matches. Low tiers essentially equated to being non-competitive.

However, this is not how most fighting game tier lists are made and interpreted. For example, in Street Fighter 4, there were plenty of low tier characters (as in the C and D range) that absolutely had the tools to win tournaments. For example, Dee Jay has generally always been a low tier character throughout all iterations of SF4, but there are good Dee Jay players who win with Dee Jay in tournament play, even winning the tournament itself. While you don't see this at stuff like EVO, you do see it in basic tournament play. Yet, Dee Jay has been consistently in the D-tier area. If Dee Jay can win tournaments and there's historical data to back that up, why is he in the lowest tier? It's because tier lists are relative to a metagame. Truth is, Dee Jay just doesn't have the advantages higher tiered characters have and lacks a lot of things in regards to character-specific match-ups. Dee Jay may be able to space out players well, and he may be able to apply block pressure as well as anyone in the cast, but because of how other characters perform, he's relegated to the lower tiers.

This is how Sm4sh tier lists should be interpreted. I'm not arguing that custom tier lists need to account for /every/ match-up, since it's so early in Sm4sh's life span, but when reading a tier list, you should be looking at why X character is in a position relative to the metagame and the rest of the cast. Characters like Charizard, who I put second to last, have good qualities that can be utilized. However, as a character, Charizard suffers from "giving a unique set of tools to the wrong character". A big character who is fairly mobile on the ground with decent gimping options and spacing options is definitely something that other big characters lack, but the inherent nature of big characters makes it hard for Charizard to pull off a role like that. It's entirely possible, but relative to the cast, it just doesn't work out that well. I could go on about every character in this way, but you get the picture.

tl;dr: The Smash community is too used to a tier system which intends to separate the usable from the unusable that it has become hard to understand what a traditional fighting game tier list actually accomplishes.

On Categories:

I wanted to explain the different categories of my personal tier list as an example of how I view characters. I find that, especially considering Sm4sh as a game and how early it is, character positioning is far less important order-wise than where they end up categorically.

A+: These characters are either lacking notable flaws or whose flaws are mitigated almost entirely by vastly superior options relative to the metagame. These characters tend to have almost no risk in use, yet have great reward.
A: These characters either have few notable flaws or whose flaws are mostly mitigated by superior options. These characters tend to have little risk in use and have good rewards.
A-: These characters tend to have more flaws compared to the ranks above them, but either their reward is as high as the tiers above them or their redeeming qualities greatly outweigh their noticeable flaws. They can compete with the highest tiers despite their flaws.
B+: These characters generally stand out due to having superior qualities relative to the rest of the cast, but either have flaws that prevent them from competing with higher tier characters or whose match-ups are skewed in certain situations. They are good enough to be mained and can compete, but they lack the qualities of a high tier character or do not have as much reward as other characters.
B: These characters can compete within the metagame and are a mix of strengths and weaknesses. Their risks/rewards tend to be balanced or they perform well within their playstyle. They simply do not have as much reward as high tier characters, but can hold their own in a fight. You may consider this the middle ground of the tier list.
B-: These characters are similar to B-tier characters, but usually are held back by more flaws or match-up issues. They have enough upside to separate themselves from lower tiers, but effective play is hard to accomplish compared to the rest of the cast.
C: These characters tend to have flaws that hold back their strengths and struggle when facing characters in higher tiers. While their playstyles are viable, they may be out-classed by other characters or simply struggle in match-up situations. These characters are decent picks for secondaries to compliment other characters, but may not be the best choice as a starter.
D: These characters have noticeable flaws that outweigh their strengths. While this doesn't mean that they are ineffective characters, it does mean that these characters struggle to combat experience players using the majority of the cast. Niche usage and secondary/tertiary usage is recommended.
On Dark Pit:

Quick sentence on this. While the characters play similarly and Dark Pit doesn't have the same flaws when compared to the Lucina-Marth issue, Dark Pit lacks a good gimping weapon for offstage usage and must rely on the edges for consistent KO's. He essentially is missing a tool that Pit has and must play more risky to secure KO's, thus differentiating himself pretty noticeably from Pit. Hence the (slightly) more than average positional difference. The characters above him have slightly less risk or slightly higher reward to justify that.

On Yoshi:

To be quite honest...I don't really think putting Yoshi in the Top 20% of the metagame is a disservice to the character. I think Yoshi is an excellent character whose active frames are incredible, and has fairly balanced/powerful normals along with a good spacing projectile. However, Yoshi isn't nearly as safe as people make him out to be: his aerials are plenty punishable and/or readable, and he's vulnerable to shielding as his command grab is hard to approach with and his grab is slow. I tend to look at Yoshi and Captain Falcon as "10A and 10B", but Yoshi's placement in A- is absolutely a good thing IMO.

Last edited:

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Trainer: WFT has been a weak character since her inception. From average mobility, pitiful attack range, overly precise hitboxes, disgusting grab range, to not very useful aerial/special attacks.. It seems obvious to me that Charizard is a stronger character. She needs buffs, honestly. Like real bad. I would be very surprised if she ends up anything more than bottom tier.
Wii Fit Trainer's only low-tier because of her trouble against short characters. It's very easy for her to beat larger characters. She can hit Lizardon very easily with most of her boxes, and will completely dominate him in the air. He's easily grounded by her jab string due to his weight. The only real threat to WFT I can think of would be Rock Smash.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
At least his bair, uair and dair have considerably less ending lag. I checked from the frame data I have.
Huh, for some reason I didn't even think about that, but now that you mention it, that does seem right. It's hard for me to say based on feeling in the case of dair though, for obvious reasons.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
But why would I play a character who "owns" the air like wario is supposed to when I can play yoshi who our classes wario with his air moves, has a air projectile and can kill better than wario. See my point. Also yoshi has less bad MUs. wario is trash.
Um Wario is way better offstage in both offense and defense. Unlike Yoshi, Wario doesn't have to eat a mix-up every time he recovers (granted Yoshi's probably going to make it back anyways but really good players will force a mix-up on him). Also Wario's B-air can kill around 110% with some rage so that's actually pretty good since most characters struggle to kill around 120% ish oh and we can't Wario Waft as a multi purpose tool.
Furthermore "Wario is worse than [insert perceived top tier character here]" =/= "Wario is trash" Frankly against most top tier I believe that Wario is more than capable of exploiting what ever weakness they may have.
He can gimp Diddy and out-live Shiek in a very barebones scenario.
Also Wario has a far more useful Command Grab than Yoshi. Chomp deals reasonable damage comes fast and charges the Wario Waft.
The really good Wario players will have deadly Wario Waft accuracy.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Re: projectile - Yeah, Falcon and Sonic can do those things. I'm not discounting their speed, but for characters like Ganondorf or Ike, I'd much rather stay safe with a projectile than even give them a chance. Just in terms of risk/reward at neutral, sometimes low-risk low-reward is better and that's what having any type of projectile is all about. Your mid-range/long-range game is all about closing the gap, while characters like Diddy, Greninja, or Sheik don't have to. It's an option that's just not there. Everything you do puts you in danger of being put in a close range combo/grab/punish because the entire cast has varying degrees of cqc kits. It's a weakness that's partially covered by a strength, but it doesn't make it any less weak.

Says... the Wario main? This is something I do not like, is "why play this character when another character does it better?" This should only apply to characters who are identical, because no character is the same. Why play Greninja when you can play Sheik? Maybe because they're different.

Maybe you play Wario because he has less commitment on his air moves, stronger ground attacks (stronger in terms of damaging and knockback), a more serviceable grab, a better command grab, and a trump card in Waft.

On that note, just because Dark Pit is "worse" than Pit, doesn't mean he's trash. If Pit was never a character and we only had Dark Pit, the discussion would be about Dark Pit's moveset, rather than how he is worse than Pit. Because of this discussion about him being worse, people think he's not good. They're literally the same minus 3 moves and electroshock vs upperdash is pretty much preference (outright kill vs offstage play).

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Re: projectile - Yeah, Falcon and Sonic can do those things. I'm not discounting their speed, but for characters like Ganondorf or Ike, I'd much rather stay safe with a projectile than even give them a chance. Just in terms of risk/reward at neutral, sometimes low-risk low-reward is better and that's what having any type of projectile is all about. Your mid-range/long-range game is all about closing the gap, while characters like Diddy, Greninja, or Sheik don't have to. It's an option that's just not there. Everything you do puts you in danger of being put in a close range combo/grab/punish because the entire cast has varying degrees of cqc kits. It's a weakness that's partially covered by a strength, but it doesn't make it any less weak.

Says... the Wario main? This is something I do not like, is "why play this character when another character does it better?" This should only apply to characters who are identical, because no character is the same. Why play Greninja when you can play Sheik? Maybe because they're different.

Maybe you play Wario because he has less commitment on his air moves, stronger ground attacks (stronger in terms of damaging and knockback), a more serviceable grab, a better command grab, and a trump card in Waft.

On that note, just because Dark Pit is "worse" than Pit, doesn't mean he's trash. If Pit was never a character and we only had Dark Pit, the discussion would be about Dark Pit's moveset, rather than how he is worse than Pit. Because of this discussion about him being worse, people think he's not good. They're literally the same minus 3 moves and electroshock vs upperdash is pretty much preference (outright kill vs offstage play).
I mained wario in brawl and I have a fantastic wario in this game (Sonic yoshi and ness are who I use competitively). Wario will struggle competively he has weak OOS options. If bair or dair had less landing lag id be all about wario. But how does he get a character like sheik off of him? His dash is horrible as well. So ur telling me wario can compete with the character perceived as top tier? He also struggles agaisnt sword characters who can space well he can get in and bite is useless in a mu like that. U guys are over rating a mediocre character.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
No its exactly what you are doing.
So, not having a projectile isn't a weakness? That's really all I'm arguing here.

I mained wario in brawl and I have a fantastic wario in this game (Sonic yoshi and ness are who I use competitively). Wario will struggle competively he has weak OOS options. If bair or dair had less landing lag id be all about wario. But how does he get a character like sheik off of him? His dash is horrible as well. So ur telling me wario can compete with the character perceived as top tier? He also struggles agaisnt sword characters who can space well he can get in and bite is useless in a mu like that. U guys are over rating a mediocre character.
... I'm saying he's not trash and that there's a reason to play him over Yoshi. That's really all I said.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't say he's not trash. (note that this doesn't mean he is or isn't)

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
tl;dr: The Smash community is too used to a tier system which intends to separate the usable from the unusable that it has become hard to understand what a traditional fighting game tier list actually accomplishes.
I think this is what many earlier post were trying to hint at. It's kind of amazing when you think about it, For the first time ever we can play as the characters we always wanted to without having to worry about them being unplayable.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I think this is what many earlier post were trying to hint at. It's kind of amazing when you think about it, For the first time ever we can play as the characters we always wanted to without having to worry about them being unplayable.
This is a game where being a character specialist unless u play diddy or Shiek will do much. U almost have to have a secondary to cover bad MUs.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
This is a game where being a character specialist unless u play diddy or Shiek will do much. U almost have to have a secondary to cover bad MUs.
How bad are the worst MU's though? This has brought up multiple times in this thread and we can't seem to come up with an 8-2 matchup yet (also known as a +/-3?)

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
7-3 6-4s right now. We are only a month in to the wiiu version. So MUs can flip either way at this point. But let's say ur a bowser main. Ur gonna use bowser in every mu? He gets destroyed by speed characters. It's funny how people thought bowser was force when the game first dropped. He's better than brawl but he has plenty of bad MUs that require a secondary unless you are a competitive player and you just play for fun.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
So, not having a projectile isn't a weakness? That's really all I'm arguing here.
Nope.
Just "having" a projectile doesn't say anything, kits don't exist in a vacuum.
Not having a projectile when you move at the speed of a snail is a weakness because they pressure your approach due to an inability to circumvent them on any meaningful level. Having a projectile can mean very little when the oppositions projectile game is stronger.

Projectiles basically increase your sphere of influence, with the benefit that they're disjointed. This runs into trouble against speed, absorb, and reflectors.
Speed - Breaks zoning, the greater the mobility, the greater requirements you need of your zoning game to be effective.
absorbs and reflectors - Rather obvious projectile defense.

When two characters without projectiles fight, lacking a projectile is irrelevant, your opponent is in the same position.
When Two characters with projectiles fight, having a projectile can also end up meaning little, as one may have a better projectile game.
When A character with a projectile and a character without a projectile fight. Their may be a lack of follow-up options out of a projectile to actually punish an approach in the first place. The Projectile may just be cancelled out safely. The character with a projectile may be so fast in fact that if they Dash-shield or aerial approach, they quickly enter range where projectiles are no longer safe options and can do so *consistently* enough that they are not projectile weak. What character is like that?
Falcon.
Sonic
You've got characters like LW Paletuna & Speed shulk who have significant range, and then speed on top of that, their effective range being so large they don't have a projectile weakness. "pocket" projectile games meaning next to nothing.
A character like Fox who is fast, has a reflector and a projectile, even though Fox doesn't have one of the best projectile games, he has 1) Speed statistic to zone break 2) Reflector to shutdown some zoning games anyways 3) A blaster, so even against stronger projectile games he can reduce their strength to make his more or just as relevant.
Not forgetting characters who clang out projectiles *safely* at X/Y/Z range and getting anything out of the projectile becomes Iffy. Hell Pit for instance has a reflector, His Side -B Reflects, plus super armor, He's got tremendous air mobility against projectiles, and disjoints which clang well, with lasting hitboxes or great range. Pit doesn't have a projectile weakness even if your projectile game is better then arrows.

Tl;dr. It's not a weakness. There are far too many factors that discredit projectiles on a natural level that a lack of a projectile being a strength or weakness is kit dependent. We're not going to start going saying Kirby has the approach advantage because he has Final cutter as a projectile are we? I'll have an aneurysm if we start seeing Kirbys throwing out final cutters because "X character doesnt have a projectile"

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hmm...

who do I actually think is a lower mid/low tier character (i.e. bottom half-ish)
:4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4miisword::4palutena::4samus::4wiifit::4zelda::4pacman::4miigun:

some of the things I'd assume people would question:
1. Link: I just haven't seen him being a tournament threat at all. I'd love to see otherwise, but while buffs were gained, he either suffers terrible unpopularity (no one good representing him) or isn't a great character (still). I wouldn't say bottom tier like in Brawl, but I really don't think it's a safe bet to assume he's good because of it (Bowser/Zelda syndrome)

2. The falchions: contrary to popular belief, I'm pretty sure Marth's true pivot is the same as Lucina's and it's on the higher end. They may use this spacing tool better than most characters. The high lag on aerials and arguably some of his moves is just way too much in a sped up mobility game with less shield safety than any other game thus far. Wouldn't take much to make them high tier+ again though, so it's not that bad.

3. The mario bros: They're actually very good. Luigi has a grab game rivaling diddies with fantastic kill power, priority and projectile. Mario has top caste mobility specs, very low auto cancels (not remotely as "why" as Sheik or Diddy but still very good), the removal of vectoring skewed his capabilities massively, the up tilt damage nerf actually allows it to combo longer (much like Sheik's fair being a buff). Up Smash OoS and other power shield punishes are pretty hectic. Kinda has an option for everything. Both characters seem to really only suffer against super disjointed characters still.

4. Gunner: 1111.

5. Olimar: not terrible in the slightest. Could still be low tier but my experiences with Rich Brown (proudly still repping his brawl main) are making me feel otherwise. Has pretty free 0-50% combos, fsmash range is nice, the improved non-pikmin moves is quite noticeable in his ability to fight on par with other characters rather than being a polarising shut down master like in Brawl. Benefit of the doubt right now.

6. Pacman: I'm not sure what niche he has now after the nerfs because his meta and various counter play I doubt was very developed at the time that he was nerfed. Toned down hydrant and other things reduced a lot of his scary presence. At this stage, he seems like a very solid doubles character but perhaps too much of a gimmick now in singles.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one thing that might be affecting this discussion of whether or not lacking projectiles is a weakness is the fact that @ Locke 06 Locke 06 is primarily a Mega Man player. In that respect, I can see where he's coming from, because Mega Man's projectile game is great for stuffing approaches, including those of Falcon and Sonic. It was discussed some pages ago, but Mega Man has the luxury to not consider the Sonic matchup to be frustrating. Mega Man shows how good projectiles can be for thwaring opponents without projectiles, even if they're among the fastest characters in the game.

The issue might be that, while Mega Man is practically the embodiment of a projectile game, he is not the average projectile user. There's a difference between Mega Man throwing stuff at his opponent versus Mario, Luigi, or even someone like Zelda doing the same. As @ ChronoPenguin ChronoPenguin mentions, Kirby's Final Cutter technically counts as a projectile, but it's not the type of projectile that @ Locke 06 Locke 06 is probably thinking of when he argues that not having a projectile is a disadvantage.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So what's the reasoning for Palutena being considered on the lower end of the cast again?

I haven't been keeping up much with Smash 4 recently due to lack of WiFi to get 1.0.4 on the 3DS and no Wii-U version. But I'll be getting the Wii-U version tonight most likely, that or tomorrow morning. And am surprised some of the placings/impressions I have been seeing.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So what's the reasoning for Palutena being considered on the lower end of the cast again?

I haven't been keeping up much with Smash 4 recently due to lack of WiFi to get 1.0.4 on the 3DS and no Wii-U version. But I'll be getting the Wii-U version tonight most likely, that or tomorrow morning. And am surprised some of the placings/impressions I have been seeing.
She's top 10 imo with customs.
While she otherwise still has an amazing down throw, dash attack and aerials [more moves in rotation than diddy uses], great mobility specs (reading them confuses me because she doesn't "feel" like that). I just think she has almost 4 useless specials and her normals aren't all amazing to compensate.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Nope.
Just "having" a projectile doesn't say anything, kits don't exist in a vacuum.
Not having a projectile when you move at the speed of a snail is a weakness because they pressure your approach due to an inability to circumvent them on any meaningful level. Having a projectile can mean very little when the oppositions projectile game is stronger.

Projectiles basically increase your sphere of influence, with the benefit that they're disjointed. This runs into trouble against speed, absorb, and reflectors.
Speed - Breaks zoning, the greater the mobility, the greater requirements you need of your zoning game to be effective.
absorbs and reflectors - Rather obvious projectile defense.

When two characters without projectiles fight, lacking a projectile is irrelevant, your opponent is in the same position.
When Two characters with projectiles fight, having a projectile can also end up meaning little, as one may have a better projectile game.
When A character with a projectile and a character without a projectile fight. Their may be a lack of follow-up options out of a projectile to actually punish an approach in the first place. The Projectile may just be cancelled out safely. The character with a projectile may be so fast in fact that if they Dash-shield or aerial approach, they quickly enter range where projectiles are no longer safe options and can do so *consistently* enough that they are not projectile weak. What character is like that?
Falcon.
Sonic
You've got characters like LW Paletuna & Speed shulk who have significant range, and then speed on top of that, their effective range being so large they don't have a projectile weakness. "pocket" projectile games meaning next to nothing.
A character like Fox who is fast, has a reflector and a projectile, even though Fox doesn't have one of the best projectile games, he has 1) Speed statistic to zone break 2) Reflector to shutdown some zoning games anyways 3) A blaster, so even against stronger projectile games he can reduce their strength to make his more or just as relevant.
Not forgetting characters who clang out projectiles *safely* at X/Y/Z range and getting anything out of the projectile becomes Iffy. Hell Pit for instance has a reflector, His Side -B Reflects, plus super armor, He's got tremendous air mobility against projectiles, and disjoints which clang well, with lasting hitboxes or great range. Pit doesn't have a projectile weakness even if your projectile game is better then arrows.

Tl;dr. It's not a weakness. There are far too many factors that discredit projectiles on a natural level that a lack of a projectile being a strength or weakness is kit dependent. We're not going to start going saying Kirby has the approach advantage because he has Final cutter as a projectile are we? I'll have an aneurysm if we start seeing Kirbys throwing out final cutters because "X character doesnt have a projectile"
If Kirbys throw out final cutters, I'll join you in the hospital room. You're definitely right, in that just "having" a projectile doesn't mean anything. Charizard & Bowser "have projectiles" but I sure hope they're not spamming flamethrower/fire breath like Mario fireballs. I guess what I was trying to get at was something resembling a projectile game.

Kits don't exist in a vacuum, true. Effective range is important as well. However, when I think about a character's weaknesses, I think about any part of their game that can be exploited/hurts them in a matchup. The Ganondorf matchup is one that I'll stick with, lacking a projectile isn't irrelevant because you can't take advantage of a weakness in your opponent. You have to put yourself in harm's way to do damage to him, which is the difference between effective range and a projectile game. TBH, this is one of the only matchups I can actually think of where this "trait" of Sonic and Falcon affects them significantly because of their speed strengths.

I look at the cast and see 25 or more characters who have a serviceable projectile which can help expose a character weakness. Not having one, to me, feels like a weakness, whereas having something like Doc's pills is average even though it isn't great. We're likely just splitting hairs here, but this leads nicely into a different discussion about Pit. He doesn't really have anything exploitable in his character and has all the tools to take advantage of another character's weakness. Killing is possibly a problem, but I don't think it's that extremely exploitable.

Yeah, my Mega Man main is showing. But I also know the feels of not playing a projectile based character in DK.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
She's top 10 imo with customs.
While she otherwise still has an amazing down throw, dash attack and aerials [more moves in rotation than diddy uses], great mobility specs (reading them confuses me because she doesn't "feel" like that). I just think she has almost 4 useless specials and her normals aren't all amazing to compensate.
Looking over patch notes I don't see any changes to her Specials. So isn't Wrap still a great recovery and good get out of jail move? Doesn't Reflect still halt the opponent's momentum acting as a nuisance to them? Auto Reticle may not be all that great but it still has it's purpose against opponents that don't like to approach doesn't it?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
The Ganondorf matchup is one that I'll stick with, lacking a projectile isn't irrelevant because you can't take advantage of a weakness in your opponent. You have to put yourself in harm's way to do damage to him, which is the difference between effective range and a projectile game.
Even so, you're both on an even ground regarding (the lack of) projectiles and you have the speed advantage. Even though Ganondorf is more dangerous within close range, you are essentially a projectile, being able to move back and forth at speeds he has a hard time punishing while you can punish him more easily. I still wouldn't consider the lack of a projectile a weakness, since speed is a tool that covers similar options and it transfers over against slow/big heavy hitters as well.

Meanwhile speed itself is a positive trait and usually balanced by different weaknesses, commonly lightness or a lack of kill power, although neither for Sonic and Falcon which makes them special aside from being effectively the top 2 in overall speed. Extreme camping capabilities such as Villager's or Mega Man's can be answered with neither common projectiles nor speed, because it's their biggest strength and you have to capitalize on their weaknesses to win the match-ups. It's normal to be unable to answer back directly to their camping, whether you're a projectile user or a running projectile.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Remember the whole "Sonic is a projectile" joke guys. If you have the mobility for opening people up, lack of projectile is by no means a big negative. Do notice that the only two characters without projectiles in the perceived high/top tier are also one of the most mobile in the game* (Sonic and C. Falcon)

*assuming we're not including Wario as a High Tier character, but even then he has his Bike and Aerial mobility.

Spirst

The range on dtilt is pathetic as is the range on utilt. The su on fair is 16 frames. The problem with listing a counter as a kill move is it's a counter. Greninja isn't a solid character Marth is a perfect example of a solid character. If you compare his tools to other characters you'd understand how underwhelming his tools. Despite his run and air speed his moves are too slow and while you won't admit it hr doesn't stack up well vs the rest of the cast.
How is a fast dtilt that, despite lacking much range, can combo into a KO move on a character with high mobility bad?
The problem with listing a counter as a kill move is that it's a counter, what? Yes, I know it's a counter. That doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the best vertical KO moves and with rage in effect, a good read (or on a projectile within range) can KO even earlier than the range I gave before. You're writing it off on just the basis that it's a counter as if that argument has any sort of merit. A move is a move.

Also, you keep bringing up Marth for some weird reason despite the fact that a number of people, even the Marth mains, seem to agree he's rather underwhelming in this iteration. Do you have some knowledge you'd like to share that makes Marth as solid a character as you claim?

Also, you're saying that his moves are too slow despite everything I just told you. I'm not even sure you're reading my posts anymore.

Once again, frame 3 jab, frame 9 utilt, frame 5 dtilt, frame 5 bair, frame 7 uair, and frame 9 dash grab. The problem is that you're judging Greninja by the standards of stuff like Marth's range/pokes and Sheik's frame advantages when he's not that kind of character.

A fully charged shuriken, in addition to transcendent priority, also has high regular priority and will cancel out majority of the other projectiles in the game as well as having KO potential itself near the edge. Being able to escape/punish multihit moves with shadow sneak cancels means it's not easy to land hits on Greninja whereas he can get damage from his combo strings (being able to deal out 27% relatively easily) and chip damage from shuriken harassments/weaving in and out. Greninja is not a character you can just pick up and win with but you're doing a major disservice by neglecting all the pros he has. I know the character isn't even top 5 but I can't see him falling out from top 10-15 with the tools he has (which are definitely there).

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Underwhelming to me is relative. Also Greninja's d-tilt is not a poke. It's a hit confirm tool.

He has terrible pokes in general. He's not that type of character.

Spirst

Yeah, and he doesn't have to be that type of character. I'm aware of his weaknesses but this whole "Greninja is really bad" mentality makes no sense given the design of the character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would be happy to do this. I am well aware that many of my opinions are going to spark some debate and backlash throughout this post, and I will respond to them in kind. Let's just try to keep it classy. Also be aware this is not a list of Charizards favorable MUs, as characters low on a tier list can end up being counters to high tiered characters.
Without further ado, let's get started.

Characters I think Charizard is better than:

Diddy Kong: ... Just kidding.
Mr. Game and Watch: This has been said before. Game and Watch lost his niche as a glass cannon and now is just plain glass. Clocking in as the game's 2nd lightest character, it doesn't take much to send this guy flying. This does not necessarily make a character bad. Let's take a look at the lightest character in the game bar Shulk smash monado, Jigglypuff. Though Jigglypuff is easy to KO, she hits like a truck. She's also got pretty good recovery, mobility, and the great wall of Jigglypuff seems to be making a comeback, obviously meaning she's got some good off stage options. Game and Watch, however... Sorry buddy.

Olimar: A coward who literally sacrifices his underlings for victory. Obviously no match for the ****ing beastial inferno dragon, Charizard. But on a serious note Olimar got a sizable amount of nerfs this go round. From decreased range, mobility, power, a worse recovery move, and in general his pikmin are kinda screwy now (3ds version only, apparently). His grab game has received heavy nerfs, having little follow up potential and weak knockback. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm no Olimar main.

Zelda: Winning an award for one of smash's most disappointing characters, I feel like Zelda is leagues behind Zard. She has below average KO power, clunky techniques and mobility, and really just lacks many useful options outside of upb (which is admittedly good). On top of all that she's easy to KO. Zelda seemingly has no saving grace amidst a plethora of weaknesses.

Samus: She's a close contender, but in the end I feel like Charizard gets the edge. A lot of what made Samus at least viable in Brawl were nerfed out of her. Her off stage and ledge play game got nerfed into the ground... Missile cancel, gone. Zair and her spike were nerfed. And that's just to name a few. Though she did get a few notable buffs, I feel like she's definitely gotten weaker. However I have a very superficial understanding of the character, so once again correct me if I'm wrong.

Little Mac: Charizard and Little Mac have a lot of similarities if you think about it. Good dash speed, great KO power, a lot of super armor. Little Mac beats out Charizard in a number of categories, namely attack speed, speed in general, a smaller hurtbox, and in extension to attack speed, his kill moves come out quicker. However I'm convinced that Charizard beats out Little Mac in many many more categories. Charizard has more kill moves, he can recover pretty well, he actually HAS an aerial game, a good one at that. Charizard is almost ungimpable if played correctly, his special moves are more useful than mac's (His side b and up b are simply better versions of Mac's...) and last but not least, Charizard can live for a very very long time.

Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt seems pretty strong at first. Good mobility, and very reliable projectiles. But that's as far as he goes. Duck Hunt can do very little other than spam projectiles. He has some of the worst KO options in the game. Couple that with an extremely gimpable recover and you got yourself a shaky counterpick character, if even that.

Lucina: Lucina will fall out to the bottom solely based on the fact that she's a worse version of Marth. Only time will tell though.

Pit, Toon Link, Dr Mario: same as above. Debate as to which version is better than the other is for another day.

DK
Bowser
Falco
D3
Ganondorf
Wario
Kirby
Pacman
Meta Knight
Palutena
Mario
Bowser Jr
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Peach

Zelda: I'd have to disagree with Zelda having below average
KO power, unless your argument is based on the fact said KO moves
are hard to land. Even then, she has an easier time landing
them against Zard due to his large frame (lightning kicks, Fsmash not failing).
Oh, and Phantom can stop Flare Blitzes, which could be disastrous
for his recovery.

Duck Hunt: Like it has been discussed earlier in this
thread, you're doing Duck Hunt an immense disservice
by assuming all he can do is spam projectiles. Though
it doesn't hurt Duck Hunt that Flare Blitz is largely ineffective
at bypassing them, with it bouncing off both his can and wild gunmen.
Even if you get around them, though, DH still has disjointed aerials
to fight with and is good at creating grab opportunities. Fsmash is his only
really unreliable smash when it comes to connecting, at least up close.
Though his recovery definitely is a big weakness for Zard to exploit.

A word about Greninja:

I feel like the reason he is so unpopular without the
quirks he had pre patch is that none of his statistics or
traits are particularly extraordinary, except for his high jump.
This coupled with his awkward-at-first movements
makes a lot of people feel he isn't worth the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom