• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
Lemme say this

"I dream of a smash game where the characters are almost perfectly balanced" ~The Twinkie

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Just give Ganon the ability to throw giant balls of energy like in OoT.

And a float. float's are nice. Like in PM and OoT (holy crap im just now realizing Ganon can float in his games)

Who needs Warlock Punch anyways?

Sakurai get on dat **** pls. :]
S: :4diddy: :4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4fox::4yoshi:
A::4zss:
:4robinm::4rob::4pacman::4megaman:
B: :4lucario::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4ness::4greninja:
C: :4villager::4drmario::4mario::4luigi::4pit::4darkpit::4dk::4dedede::4wario::4olimar::4gaw::4link::4metaknight::4falco:
D: :4tlink::4palutena::4charizard::4zelda::4jigglypuff::4shulk::4samus::4kirby::4peach::4myfriends::4wiifit::4ganondorf:
Welcome to Smashboards!

Next time don't just drop a tier list without explanation as people might hound you for answers as to why some things are like they are.

That said, despite some thing like Ike, Puff, Peach, Shulk, Doc, and Junior's placements, this might actually be one of the ones I agree with more.

Ike and Peach are hella good, but unexplored. Puff as well. Shulk is starting to see some use and results, and he def has a lot of potential.

The gap between Doc and Mario is actually a lot more than I initially thought. I just can't imagine Doc getting actual results, while Mario already has some. Also, Junior is largely unexplored, but I remain skeptical on him.

Also you forgot some characters like Pikachu.

EDIT: Also super skeptical about ROB, DHD, Mac, and I think Olimar is a lot worse than indicated here. So actually not that close of a list to mine lol

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Not even a good tier list. (As if those even exist right now)
First 5 is reasonable. Then it's just a "who the **** is this? The Feeling Man? Probably bottom tier"
Also no Pikachu.

Lemme say this

"I dream of a smash game where the characters are almost perfectly balanced" ~The Twinkie
This game is probably as close as you can get.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Also, Falco is bad and overrated.

:059:
I don't know why that Entei is there, but don't you make me rant on you about why Falco isn't bad. Saying he's overrated when he's basically nonexistent everywhere in SSB4 makes no sense. How can something be overrated when there's little to no mention of it?

Look at every released tier list which includes personal ones and you'll notice a trend where Falco is placed low tier or barely mid tier. That's not overrating. Rosalina & Luma or Little Mac (spammers)? That's overrating. Those two have weaknesses; everyone has weaknesses, though, some are noticeable and some aren't. Personal vindications claiming Character X is the best despite evidence that said character has obvious weaknesses and ignoring them to still claim Character X is the best is overrating.

A character who's nonexistent, ignored, written off as trash is underrated. May I remind you of Melee Jigglypuff, Brawl Sonic, SSB4 Palutena (with and without Customs), I believe, Wii Fit Trainer, and soon to be Falco when people stop ignoring the elephants in the room which include other characters with untapped potential?

For the nth time, stop ignoring fighters because they will come back and bite hard. But alas, history will repeat itself. I can't wait for someone to find some mad Kirby hacks and curbstomp a tourny.

The fact that patches exist and can/will dramatically change the metagame is another reason to be cautious.

Edit: Forgot about this: You could at least explain why you think Falco's bad. Seriously, vague comments will probably lead to rants from people, especially passionate people.

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
I don't know who came up with the idea of increasing Hydrant's HP by 1. It's the worst nerf that came with the new patch by a landslide. It makes Hydrant so much worse because bair and melon can no longer OHKO it .... that 1 HP increased the risk of using that move way too much. It's still a solid move but nowhere near as good as it was before.

Also, Falco is bad and overrated.

:059:
This man gets it.

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer obv if you were to put our lists side by side you could tell what we disagree on looool

rest is tl;dr

It's amazing what you can miss when you come home from a 9 to 5 and nap.

See you guys this weekend!
/

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
Over the weekend I went to a brawl tournament. I used jigglypuff and got 2nd out of 48. I realized how they actually fixed a lot of characters problems. Peach can kill now. So can ZSS. I'm pretty sure Sm4sh will do better competitively. It has combos and is both defensive and offensive. Some characters like villager R brawl like while sheik is melee like.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Well, ZSS had more KO power in Brawl.

Not that she doesn't have any in Smash 4, it's just different now.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
I was thinking of Ganon's energy blobs just yesterday, as well as Falcon using his gun. I wonder if the thought ever crossed their minds, I mean they could've at least put them as customs.

Also in Brawl ZSS could play around with her dsmash near the ledges.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I would like to help make Palutena and Kirby climb the list.

Rosalina and Olimar are the most irritating characters I've played against yet. You have to try extra hard to beat them. And Olimar, I honestly think he'll be up there in the S within a few months once people figure out how amazing he is. He can use two Smash attacks in succession compared to others and the range with knockback is too good. It doesn't help the fact that he seems to be one of the most versatile and can be played offensively and defensively.

Ganondorf feels like a character that NEEDs to get combo'd and reach into the high numbers for him to become a threat. It is like a hidden gimmick with that new "rage" mechanic I've been hearing.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yes, Olimar will end up a good character. The only reason people think he's bad is because they played him on the 3DS version where his Pikmin were not Pikmin but actually Lemmings instead.

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
Customs will definitely help some characters climb the tier list. Some characters really need them like Wii Fit Trainer and Palutena while some characters R only helped a little by them like jigglypuff and luigi.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I was thinking of Ganon's energy blobs just yesterday, as well as Falcon using his gun. I wonder if the thought ever crossed their minds, I mean they could've at least put them as customs.

In Smash 4 her down Smash can still be played around ledges very well and is just as safe on shield. May not stun as long but it still stuns long enough to do anything you want. Along with not having to solely rely on Bair to kill.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Ganondorf's slow and people say that a projectile would help his approach game. Captain Falcon with a gun is sort of weird I guess since we're so used to his wacky moves. Also, his speed allows him to get in fast and slightly safe despite lacking any projectiles. If customs weren't just slightly modified moves and more like Palutena's and the Mii Fighters', then I would be in for the Capt. using his pistol-blaster-thing. It'd be hilarious if it turns out his pistol is actually a mini-grenade launcher.

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Really? I had trouble killing with her. Now her Fsmash and Uspecial kill fast.
Yeah really, her aerials killed really well in Brawl. So did Side-B, which I guess you shouldn't get hit by, but people did lol. She was able to kill off of D-Smash earlier for the most part too, mainly because Fair and Bair fresh used to kill "early," for Brawl standards.

In Smash 4 they take a lot longer to kill, usually only near the edges. Side-B will never kill now.

Like I said, she kills differently now, the only move that kills the same is Down-B.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yeah really, her aerials killed really well in Brawl. So did Side-B which I guess you shouldn't get hit by but people did lol. She was able to kill off of D-Smash earlier for the most part too, mainly because Fair and Bair fresh used to kill "early," for Brawl standards.

In Smash 4 they take a lot longer to kill, usually only near the edges. Side-B will never kill now.

Like I said, she kills differently now, the only move that kills the same is Down-B.
Well Bair still has as much if not more kill power as it did in brawl also her down special spike kills a lot earlier now because of no meteor canceling. Up special kills really well also.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ganondorf feels like a character that NEEDs to get combo'd and reach into the high numbers for him to become a threat. It is like a hidden gimmick with that new "rage" mechanic I've been hearing.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Even without rage he can kill with a couple good attack strings, though with rage he obviously kills much faster. Rage does give him a chance even in MUs where he's a punching bag most of the time, but if he gets a good read on you, you're going to die, rage or no rage.

foxyopiumfun

Smash Cadet
What are other people's thoughts on Lucina? I personally love her. I could never play Marth for the fact of sour spots on his sword and I know spacing is key for him but just never seem fond of it. The balancing of the sword to me feels like she's more of a rush counter part to Marth. I know the differences between the two and feel like she should played abit (or more) differently than Marth.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Throwing a thought out there based on what people have mentioned in this thread.

-One of Kirby's greatest strengths is being a legitimate threat up-close, but has serious issues closing in on the opponent.
-Wii Fit Trainer's main weaknesses are lack of range and being unable to hit the opponent.
-Kirby has that super low crouch
-Therefore, on paper Kirby should have an advantageous matchup against WFT.

Of course, theory and practice often turn out to be different.

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
ZSS is good but tbh I think she's overrated. She can't deal with jiggs kirby and wii fit trainer since they can crouch under 90% of her moves. She's high tier but I don't think she's as good as people are saying

xquqx

Smash Apprentice
What are other people's thoughts on Lucina? I personally love her. I could never play Marth for the fact of sour spots on his sword and I know spacing is key for him but just never seem fond of it. The balancing of the sword to me feels like she's more of a rush counter part to Marth. I know the differences between the two and feel like she should played abit (or more) differently than Marth.
You actually can be far more aggressive with Marth than with Lucina. The sweetspot/sourspot mechanic of Marth's sword makes his hits safer on shield than Lucina, and if you're playing ideally with Lucina you want to be hitting at tipper range anyway. It's when they're being super aggressive vs you that Lucina is theoretically better, since that's when you don't get the luxury of spacing for tippers, but in reality the extra 1% reward for poor spacing doesn't make up for the sheer killing power of Marth's tippers in this game.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Yes, Olimar will end up a good character. The only reason people think he's bad is because they played him on the 3DS version where his Pikmin were not Pikmin but actually Lemmings instead.
And how stupidly bad his recovery was. Thank God they buffed it in the pa--oh.

David Viran

Smash Lord
ZSS is good but tbh I think she's overrated. She can't deal with jiggs kirby and wii fit trainer since they can crouch under 90% of her moves. She's high tier but I don't think she's as good as people are saying
Tbh I hear she is overrated everytime She is brought up in a thread so I don't know how she is overrated if most people think that.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I'll admit she doesn't do well against short charachters. But her z air helps her deal with floaty charachters. Jiggs, Kirby, and Peach. She may not Be in the Highest tier, but shes top of tier below it.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
A: :4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4lucario:
B: :4pikachu::4ness::4yoshi::4greninja::4peach::4gaw::4duckhunt::4bowser::4falcon::4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4link::4pacman::4rob::4megaman:
C: :4fox::4wario::4palutena::4villager::4darkpit::4pit::4robinm::4tlink::4bowserjr::4dedede::4ganondorf::4dk::4charizard::4wiifit::4metaknight::4falco::4samus:
D: :4littlemac::4luigi::4mario::4drmario::4kirby::4zelda:

That's how I personally see things for now.
There is just so much wrong i don't know where to start:
Little Mac is bottom tier.
Luigi higher than Mario.
Mario bottom tier.
No signification of customs on or off.
Palutena neither in bottom tier nor top tier. She's one or the other, customs off or on.
Dark Pit above Pit.
G&W better than Palutena, Duck Hunt, ROB, Robin...
Where the hell is mid tier?
Rosalina 3rd -_-
Yoshi is high tier. Since top is top 8, he should be there.
Fox is low tier.
Zelda is the worst.
Sanic is second. Ok wtf
WFT is not getting her own tier at the bottom. She's not bad, simply the worst. She would be Brawl High tier, even the bottom tiers are good. She's just a victim of circumstance.
If she isn't gonna be garbage tier, then Mii Swordfighter is. He is the worst by a large margin, that was one of the few things Japan got right.
Robin is low tier.
Fox and Falco in the same tier.
Pac Man high tier. He would be Brawl top tier, but again victim of circumstance forces him to be low tier.
Duck Hunt Trio within an 18.5 mile radius of titans like Lucario, Yoshi, Greninja, G&W and PIkaman Pikachu. Toxic characters are never good aka Brawl Sonic, unless they're broken aka Ice Climbers and Metagame Knight...
Extremely large high and low tiers. Please put in a middle tier.
Charizard and DK low tier, yet Bowser is high.
DayDayDay higher than the said two, even if by a small margin.
Samus < G&W, Pac, Jigglypuff, Bowser DDD, Jr, Caharizard, DK, Ganon, and Falco.
ROB high tier, even if near the bottom of it.
Fox lower then Mega Man.
Little Mac is bottom tier.
Metagame Knight doesn't have his own tier. Go away

tl;dr

Last edited:

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
I'll admit she doesn't do well against short charachters. But her z air helps her deal with floaty charachters. Jiggs, Kirby, and Peach. She may not Be in the Highest tier, but shes top of tier below it.
I think that jigglypuff might even be her worst MU. She can crouch under 90% of ZSS moves and can shield her dtilt and dsmash. With jigglypuffs crouch to rest punish, this makes the MU so much easier for jigglypuff. She can get kills fast with the punish too. I think that jigglypuff is a really bad MU for ZSS.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I think that jigglypuff might even be her worst MU. She can crouch under 90% of ZSS moves and can shield her dtilt and dsmash. With jigglypuffs crouch to rest punish, this makes the MU so much easier for jigglypuff. She can get kills fast with the punish too. I think that jigglypuff is a really bad MU for ZSS.
Personally I think Ness is ZSS's worst match up, but i do see your point. Thing is most of Jiggly's approach game is aerial (unlike kirby), so shes not out of range "most" of the time.

Last edited:

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Down tilt beats any grounded attack puff has, if puff aproaches through the air ZSS can punish really easily with paralyzer/upsmash/ftilt/grab

Last edited:

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
Down tilt beats any grounded attack puff has, if puff aproaches through the air ZSS can punish really easily with paralyzer/upsmash/ftilt/grab
Ok even in a dtilt comes she can simply shield and punish. Nair our prioritizes or cancels out the moves U put above. It's not an impossible MU I just think it's bad for ZSS.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Ok even in a dtilt comes she can simply shield and punish. Nair our prioritizes or cancels out the moves U put above. It's not an impossible MU I just think it's bad for ZSS.
I'm fairly sure dtilt is safe on block if spaced right, and saying "you can shield and punish" a move isn't a good argument unless it has enormous ending lag.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Can we agree to a 45:55 Puffs favor on this one?

The Twinkie

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly sure dtilt is safe on block if spaced right, and saying "you can shield and punish" a move isn't a good argument unless it has enormous ending lag.
Ok but her aerials R really fast to the point I think that it's possible to punish her dtilt. She can still sheild grab before ZSS can do another action. I'm not saying that she's a bad character I'm just saying that the MU seems unfavorable for ZSS.

@ kyxsune kyxsune id say 60-40 but ok

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Don't forget about zss's zoning game with nair and paralyzer. Nair has a lot of range and jiggly can duck under paralyzer but the paralyzer is a slow moving projectile and is only used when not in range of jiggly. Down Smash is very safe on shield and dtilt is safe if spaced properly. Also if you angle ftilt down then it hits opponents while crouching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom