• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
can u clarify? cause litterally nothing about them in the cummunity patch notes.
and yes theres a whole lot of variables for a developer to consider.
According to some people on the later pages of the thread Brawler got 3% more damage on Final Smash and some other changes that they're not sure how to interpret right now. Something was seemingly done to Gunner as well.

Might not be big but it shows that at least they are adjusting them.

is the damage and kill power proportionate for each size.
I'm fairly certain there's no change.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
According to some people on the later pages of the thread Brawler got 3% more damage on Final Smash and some other changes that they're not sure how to interpret right now. Something was seemingly done to Gunner as well.

Might not be big but it shows that at least they are adjusting them.

I'm fairly certain there's no change.
theres differences from balancing them cometitivly or not. and for the most part they were just changed to match the wiiu agriculture.

BSP

Smash Legend

New Japanese tier list from Keitaro from Twitter.

Hearsay, but probably legit.

Marth bottom tier?

Surprisingly, Mario is 25th. Smack dab in the middle.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm satisfied with Mario being C-tier. Everything else about the list though feels off...

Tink being higher than Link? Marth in E-tier? Robin and Shulk in D tier?

What the eff is going on in Japan?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Olimar over Marth is jokes. Villager also likely shouldn't be that high, and I still think Gunner is a bit too low.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Japan tend to base its lists exclusively on domestic tourney results, which explains why Rosalina has dropped down below Villager [!!!] after Rain and 9B dropped her and started to play other characters. Meanwhile Ganbaranai places really well in tournament with Villager and thus he's ranked higher.

Keyword "ranked". You should probably look at this more as a tournament ranking list estimation rather than a tier list.

:059:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
can u clarify? cause litterally nothing about them in the cummunity patch notes.
and yes theres a whole lot of variables for a developer to consider.

knock back values for every size
hit stun values for every size
shield size
damage percent for every freaking move on every size
how every size corspond to other members of the cast. (the most imposible part to balance.)
what combos them at what size.
what range each move has at what size.
what different combos are there at each size.
does a the moves set cover his weakness entierly for each size ( it should not)
whats the hurt box of the miis at each size.
is the damage and kill power proportionate for each size.

this is a **** load of work just to balance one character much less three. and there so much more things this is just a taste.
I'll have to ask that you calm your fan fiction.
Miis aren't a balance concern, moving on.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman

Marth bottom tier?

The first version of this list looked suspiciously like the one that influenced patch 1.0.4. (on that initial list, Diddy was C-tier, which is probably why he escaped nerfs).

If there's ever another balance patch in this game, Diddy's downthrow will probably be the first thing to go.

Also... Japan seriously thinks that Mii Brawler without customs is better than Rosalina, Ness, and Pikachu?

We seem to have a very different consensus.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Japan tend to base its lists exclusively on domestic tourney results, which explains why Rosalina has dropped down below Villager [!!!] after Rain and 9B dropped her and started to play other characters. Meanwhile Ganbaranai places really well in tournament with Villager and thus he's ranked higher.

Keyword "ranked". You should probably look at this more as a tournament ranking list estimation rather than a tier list.

I've always found it a double edged sword to make tiers based primarily on tournament results (especially so early into the life of a game). Like, on the one hand... what's more conclusive than results? But on the other hand, what this means in practice is that the characters people prefer to play will get more usage, which in turn will lead to more wins, which in turn leads to more people picking up that character because people perceive that character to be good. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the Japanese have a preference for quick / free flowing characters just as a play style thing, which in turn is influencing their tier list.

So if Japan is really basing their tier list exclusively on domestic tournament results, I kind of just have to shrug my shoulders at it, because I don't think this list will correlate all that well with the actual potential of various characters.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord

Marth bottom tier?

I actually giggled. If not for the fact that it seems to be based primarily on tournament placings, I might've even guffawed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think Ike beats Marth pretty clearly this time around, actually. Ike wins in Neutral which is where the majority of matchups are decided in general. One of Ike's biggest problems in Brawl against Marth was dealing with Marth's pokes and pressure from a defensive position, especially out of shield. From shielding Ike didn't have too many solid responses to just about anything Marth could throw out in neutral and as we all know shielding was surpremely powerful and essential in Brawls gameplay.

Marth's pokes are nowhere near as scary as they used to be and trades are still awfully lopsided in Ike's favor. Unless Marth gets that birthday surprise gimp on Ike he'll be fighting an uphill battle. There's no way Marth wins this matchup now imo ... and that's not even taking Ike's custom specials into account.

I think you're really downplaying how important Marth's mobility and counter is. Ike also still actually doesn't have great OOS punishes for Marth's spaced aerials such as N-air and fullhop F-air. Only Ike's B-air has decent startup and range, but it also only really hits horizontally, and doesn't exactly have more range than most of Marth's stuff.

Marth does have to play carefully around Ike's autocanceled F-air and more damaging tilts which are all safe on block, but when you're as mobile as Marth, you have to realize that the difficulty of whiff punishing is sorta trivialized. If anything, both characters are likely to be forced to play super respectfully during neutral. Just Marth has an easier time getting away with moves that can't be reacted to in the air, while Ike's primary advantage is knowing that he has greater consistency in close range.

Marth doesn't have to work exceptionally hard to either gimp Ike or kill him. It's simply a matter of forcing Ike offstage. Both Ike's SideB and Up-B are very punishable by Marth, and in the few situations where Ike is close enough to the stage to recover without those moves, it's a pure guess not in his favor to defend against Marth's tipper aerial edgeguards. In the meantime, most of Ike's juggle trap options become a liability except perfectly spaced U-air to avoid Counter, but in general, Ike doesn't have a lot of good options for actually killing Marth when a lot of his best options for KOing out of juggles are much less effective in the presence of Counter.

Ike builds damage better than Marth, that I can probably agree on, but Marth actually still has many safe tools in this matchup that he used to have. And his KO options are very noticeably better and more reliable.

Custom Ike, I could buy that he beats Custom Marth with Windbox Eruption and Close Combat being generally amazing options that complete Ike's game. Default settings though, nerfs to Marth's aerials just mean Ike doesn't get crushed by Marth playing hyper aggressively, but doesn't change that he still has to put in noticeable work and commitment to get around Marth's superior mobility and air spacing options, and the fact he loses out on juggles and edgeguards very noticeably.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I know that Ganondorf is probably no better than low-mid in this game, but I don't understand how he's 4th-worst in a results-based Japanese list considering Gungnir's performance with him.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
And how do you know brawler doesn't have access to his kit? I thought it was everyone else but Miis who were subject to their custom ban.
The one JP Mii I've seen was using 3112 as Gunner, so I think it's safe to say they allow the full use of Mii customs.
Okay, that at least makes more sense then. The Mii Brawler is actually quite potent with its custom attacks and its Pichu-sized body.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Counter isn't as great as you think against Ike because of his great reward from grabs. Miss the counter and you're also in danger from dying at 70. Counter is also terrible at hitting below you in this game, so counter as an anti-juggle is likely to miss. Ike is easier to fsmash for Marth than other characters because his spacing is right at the tipper location.

I can't really say much about the MU since the general tools were switched around a lot from Brawl.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I think I've come to realize, the ridiculous prejudices to Miis based on horse **** thoroughly annoys me.

Tier placement is up in the air. Itos MK was interesting for example, as was E's Marth.
Paletuna should be afforded customs given there isn't a logistical reason against it but she's being handicapped anyways.

At least Japan sees some value in Gunner. Honestly though tier debate is getting weary to me so I rather stay out.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Counter isn't as great as you think against Ike because of his great reward from grabs. Miss the counter and you're also in danger from dying at 70. Counter is also terrible at hitting below you in this game, so counter as an anti-juggle is likely to miss. Ike is easier to fsmash for Marth than other characters because his spacing is right at the tipper location.

I can't really say much about the MU since the general tools were switched around a lot from Brawl.
Ike gets great grab reward, no doubt, but mostly at low percents. Then at higher percents Ike's grab reward is mostly just some fast pummels and F-throw/B-throw, and Ike's edgeguarding against Marth is not very strong. Marth will almost never be using counter in neutral against Ike. Counter however does make it a lot harder for Ike to secure safe KOs on Marth, meaning Ike is forced to play footsies repeatedly to KO Marth most of the time, while Marth in contrast just merely tries to confirm gimps or offstage KOs once he's able to put Ike offstage.

Ike can outspace counter with U-air, but doesn't have a lot of followups after that usually. Not nearly as likely to happen with F-air, U-smash, or U-tilt in contrast though.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike gets great grab reward, no doubt, but mostly at low percents. Then at higher percents Ike's grab reward is mostly just some fast pummels and F-throw/B-throw, and Ike's edgeguarding against Marth is not very strong. Marth will almost never be using counter in neutral against Ike. Counter however does make it a lot harder for Ike to secure safe KOs on Marth, meaning Ike is forced to play footsies repeatedly to KO Marth most of the time, while Marth in contrast just merely tries to confirm gimps or offstage KOs once he's able to put Ike offstage.

Ike can outspace counter with U-air, but doesn't have a lot of followups after that usually. Not nearly as likely to happen with F-air, U-smash, or U-tilt in contrast though.
Uthrow combos into attacks until 90%, 70% at high rage. Marth has to risk timing attacks against Ike's quick draw and he also has to deal with super armor from aether. Ike can still fair offstage before Marth goes deep, just as Marth can do the same to Ike if he's caught low offstage.

A landing uair has the same combo followups as a landing nair at low to low-mid percents. A uair in the air has jack, yes, but Marth is still going to be in the air. In addition to uair, nair and fair both hit above Ike relatively well.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
sniff srry ill move my butt hurt lol.
but seriously can we get some designated mii sizes?
Assume
Short/thin
Short/wide
Default.

Current bias against tall Miis dictates short and Default is the meta. Default only taking precedence when height customization isn't allowed. Current Mii meta is Short for all 3 Miis so if you want to be competitively aware you would make a short/thin and short/wide Mii.
My brawler is Short/wide, I have a short/thin Sword fighter and a default gunner. If you are really troubled.
Simply understand the relevant specials and normals/grabs. They generally transfer between short/default with minor changes.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I think I've come to realize, the ridiculous prejudices to Miis based on horse **** thoroughly annoys me.

Tier placement is up in the air. Itos MK was interesting for example, as was E's Marth.
Paletuna should be afforded customs given there isn't a logistical reason against it but she's being handicapped anyways.

At least Japan sees some value in Gunner. Honestly though tier debate is getting weary to me so I rather stay out.
lol i hope that i did not come off as having a predudice while i dont like miis im sure u seen me openly talk about their potential in this thread. im just concerned i guess. even if its miss placed i honesly think it will be a shame if nothing ever does change about the miis as balance goes on. i would hate to just see mii swordsman stay **** teir while brawler stay top.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
SF doesn't have a developed meta.
As we have seen with Luigi, Diddy, Paletuna, Metaknight.
Unexplored and unvalued characters have their potential which may come to light later on, with or without changes.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't understand why Miis can use customs but Palutena can't. Hers are unlocked by default as well. Why is Brawler S Tier but Palutena is D Tier? Psh, inconsistent rules for the lose.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Smash 4s has set itself with some silly rulings early into its lifespan which is unfortunate.
Kind of crazy that stage picks were/are given leniency before Paletuna...an actual character.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
people are really fickle with these rule sets. i pushed before that we cant be flip flopping on rules like this. either somthing in or somthing out.

if we ever want to be taken seriously as a competitive community we cant have **** like this.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
That guy has an account here, right? I just don't remember how the **** you spell it. I KNOW I've seen him around. Would love hearing from him again.
most player do but yeah i would love to here his opinions to. his reads were fantastic. he did pretty well against his worst match up too.

CHWDR_199

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-4727-5325
what are your opinions on kirby and how well he will do it competitive play ???

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
what are your opinions on kirby and how well he will do it competitive play ???
honestly? contrary to popular opinion. i think hes quite good. nothing spectacular but good none the less. his dair is just so good for gimping. solid low mid tier.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Yo.

Kirby over Marth? Ike? Zard?

I don't even....

Also Ike, who imo is very solid, is about to get some crazy buffs if last time is anything to go by. Shulk might even too :urg:
The first version of this list looked suspiciously like the one that influenced patch 1.0.4. (on that initial list, Diddy was C-tier, which is probably why he escaped nerfs).

If there's ever another balance patch in this game, Diddy's downthrow will probably be the first thing to go.
You're right.
brb learning swordfighter
Kappa

Shoutouts to Diddy Tier.

Last edited:

CHWDR_199

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-4727-5325
I main him and I agree ... do you think he could be viable for competitive play ???

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Just bump Doc one tier up and make some other adjustments (Zard, Marth) and I'd agree. I think he should be around where Falco and DK are, IMO.

Also why is Rosalina so lowwwwww?

Well, if Japan keeps this up Dr. Mario will surely get buffed! (One day...) Also Ike should be higher than that! At least low-mid lol. ALSO JAPAN PLS GET SHULK OUT OF D TIER HE DON'T NEED ANYMORE BUFFS LOOL

Last edited:

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
I main him and I agree ... do you think he could be viable for competitive play ???
Probably not. He has a few strengths and difficulty capitalizing on them. Then again, this game is decently balanced apparently, so maybe there's something everyone is missing.

Tierlist is interesting. Is it mostly results based?

A common trend I am seeing is people are like "Lol X is below Y? Ridiculous" but actually, it's very difficult to tell these things. Which says nice things about 4's balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom