• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The conductor of Cloud's hype train in the Ring of Fire is Komokiri using him as a serious secondary for his Sonic. Last tournament he entered (I think) he got fifth with Cloud.
Komorikiri's sets involving Cloud for anyone interested; Komorikiri's Cloud vs. Saiya's Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5HiRFTZ0Y.

Komorikiri's Cloud vs. Paseriman's Black Pit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpke-NF4tPU.

Komorikiri's Cloud vs. ikep's Rosetta & Chiko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09_JPhpwgg.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Obligatory comment about Japan's very high opinion of Pit (no doubt due to Earth being one of their finest players) and prediction that Dark Pit will rise a bit when the full impact of his side-b buff is felt...

Now that that's out of the way, what really catches my attention is Cloud's placement: he's been out for barely a couple of weeks now and he's considered a potential threat in the Japanese meta. I don't know exactly what the west thinks of him right now (too early to tell, I know), but I recall him causing a few upsets in both regions. Very interesting. Will have to keep an eye on this new challenger.

Can somebody remind me what exactly he's done in Japan to generate that kind of hype? I know there were a few sets with him recently, but I'm tired and can't remember who played him and who was beaten by him.
Komorikiri used Cloud to eliminate Edge and RAIN at Sumabato Niconico Qualifiers. RAIN also used Cloud at Umebura 20. Kamemushi eliminated Choco with Cloud at Umebura 20.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
>Pacman lower than the likes of toon link and lucario
>Robin in C+ tier after all his buffs

image.jpg

Maybe Pac-Man will get some unneeded buffs after all?
And Robin is going to ascend to top tier after all the extra buffs he will receive in February lol.

Edit: And for some reason, Yoshi is still in A with meager results.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Didn't someone ask about Japan or SHI-G's tier list? I don't have a source nor do I remember who asked for which, so take this with a grain of salt until someone can confirm it... Of all the places to see this first... the Zelda social.

Once again, I really don't understand why the Pits aren't just lopped together. They're barely different compared to Dr. Mario and Mario and Lucina and Marth. To me, it's more like a "legalized custom Pit" where yes, because you have different functioning moves that also includes a randomly weaker Ftilt, you will have to deal with things differently, but because you're barely any different, might as well have them be considered the same fighter. Also, I fail to see how Samus is considered that bad. I mean, really? Oh, and finally! Ike's actually considered good. Meanwhile, Marth... Oh, and Bowser's placing seems a little too... optimistic. Don't know much about Nintendo of America's Vice President of Sales, but I feel like he should be at most in B for now since while his U-throw is now a fantastic setup, Bowser still has his other old troubles.
Just so everyone knows, it says on the chart "characters are unordered within each rank."

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The shot placement of each fsmash is randomized and some angles cause the "slide out" or otherwise don't catch opponents the same way, at least i think that's what he means. Also, his smashes have deadzones around him to where they won't quite connect.
Just messed around with him a little, didn't realize the position of FSmash's shots varies. That's annoying. I still think FSmash is a decent landing trapping tool though.

Still might learn the character a bit more. I like the retro-source characters in general and I have a Duck Hunt amiibo so... I might as well. Even if he sucks.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
People do realize this is Japan right? Their Metagame is more then slightly different.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
People do realize this is Japan right? Their Metagame is more then slightly different.
I suppose I can understand pacman's placement since Abadango was the last well known pacman out there, and I guess I can understand Robin's placement as well because the amount of Robin mains out there is severely lacking.

What I don't understand is why Yoshi continues to be held in such high regard. Even in Japan, his impact is minimal and in theory, he's a rather decent character overall. Good strengths (high damage, amazing aerial mobility) but big flaws (weak approach, very unsafe attacks all around, no kill setups, minimal ways to get past shield...)

But I could be selling Yoshi short, so I would love to be corrected.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I'm gonna have a bad time against a frame 14 move that has a purely horizontal hitbox and is very easy to predict that it's coming out.

Yeah.

Sure.

I'll be more scared of Toon Link's almost 100 BKB 13 damage F-Air which hits like a truck KB wise for how much better his moility is.

Here's the other issue. You're trying to talk about using a frame 14 move to edgeguard with. That requires either a bad play on the opponents part, or a strong read on your part. No one is gonna jump into a frame 14 move, hell they won't even jump into a frame 12 move like Ike's F-Air. Even if Ike's F-Air starts on frame 12 it'll hit in the same area of Link's either on frame 13 or 14, depending on if they are slightly above or below Ike, which is either 1 frame faster or same frame as Link's. You also have air speed. Link's air speed is abysmal, and with a frame 7 jumpsquat, like Ike, it's much harder to go out and edgeguard compared to other characters with better jumpsquat and/or air speed.

How do you set up these F-Air edgeguards? You can't use a projectile, as they take far too long for you to be able to follow-up on unless you're going out and putting yourself at risk. Do you just jump out and try to hit them with it? That's predictable, so if they react correctly now you're massively at risk with a poor recovery and bad air mobility leaving you wide open to a reversal.

Yes, Link's F-Air hits hard, is it easy to use like how you describe? No. It'll kill Mario at quarter screen about the same as Ike's Dash Attack kills with no rage at the ledge percent wise.

Buffing can KB would also have a massive down side like @outfoxd said.

Can combo breaker -> suicide?

10/10.
When Larry says Link's edge guarding is good, you're treating it like a baseless statement. Honestly, I don't know how you can justify that when you look at the tools he has objectively. Fair is good off stage, but it's his nair that's so good. The knockback and angle throughout the move, startup and lingering hitboxes, it's nothing short of a great off stage move. Dair is pretty good, though Link has to make a decision to use this move or nair off stage, and will usually opt for nair.

Every aspect of Link's edge guarding game is good. All of his projectiles can be used for harassment, zair (and zairs in general are always good off stage), strong lingering hitboxes, bair semispikes... And if Link stays on stage to apply pressure, he can cover a multitude of options with bombs, ftilt at the ledge, usmash has a huge hitbox, etc.

Whether or not fair is amazing doesn't matter as much when you look at it in context of the rest of his off stage options, but then again, his fair is good off stage, and it does kill super early. Link's only drawback off stage is his fast fall speed, which is too fast if you want to use more than one move (which you probably do).

No way Link isn't good off stage, regardless of where his fair falls in some comparison.

Edit: For what it's worth, Mario said, "You keep praising Link's edge guarding," to start his earlier post, which is definitely saying he is dismissing Link's edge guarding. But anyway, I realize that they are comparing fairs, but I'm talking about off stage game as a whole. It might be a topic changer, but it's because how dangerous Link's fair is compared to Ike's doesn't matter when you look at edge guarding as a whole, which is what we should discuss instead.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
When Larry says Link's edge guarding is good, you're treating it like a baseless statement. Honestly, I don't know how you can justify that when you look at the tools he has objectively. Fair is good off stage, but it's his nair that's so good. The knockback and angle throughout the move, startup and lingering hitboxes, it's nothing short of a great off stage move. Dair is pretty good, though Link has to make a decision to use this move or nair off stage, and will usually opt for nair.

Every aspect of Link's edge guarding game is good. All of his projectiles can be used for harassment, zair (and zairs in general are always good off stage), strong lingering hitboxes, bair semispikes... And if Link stays on stage to apply pressure, he can cover a multitude of options with bombs, ftilt at the ledge, usmash has a huge hitbox, etc.

Whether or not fair is amazing doesn't matter as much when you look at it in context of the rest of his off stage options, but then again, his fair is good off stage, and it does kill super early. Link's only drawback off stage is his fast fall speed, which is too fast if you want to use more than one move (which you probably do).

And when we are talking about Link's off stage game, please don't make random comparisons to Ike's dash attack that has nothing to do with this context. Don't make random comparisons to Ike's moves in general. Just getting that out there.

No way Link isn't good off stage. Larry isn't making this up.
But the entire conversation is about whether or not Link's Fair is the most dangerous in the game and whether or not Link's Fair, and only Link's Fair, is very good at edgeguarding. Nothing more, nothing less. There's been talk about setting up Fair, but that's pretty much it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Taking a set off Luigi isn't much of an achievement compared to pre-patch. Have a DH take a set off Sheiks, ZSSes, or 'insert top tiers here', THEN we can scream.
Oh, I'm not screamin' or anything. Just found it funny that we were talking about how bad DH was while one was beating ZD. And ZD IS a pretty good Luigi...

DH is definitely still bad, though. No idea why the Japanese tier list places him that high...

And Japan thinks Bowser is B+ tier?! Then why have I never seen a Bowser in a Japanese tournament, ever...? (maybe I've not been looking hard enough)

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
This has been something I've been wondering for like, more than half a year
Think of it as a bouncing fish with even lower penalty for missing with it(actually still net positive for missing with it due how mega gunmen and zigzag trap, just not as positive as a hit). It can't be used in neutral but allows for really potent follow-ups/horizontal pressure.

It pretty much needs mega gunmen to make up for the loss in neutral, though. Which is why I think people failed to see how good it was, without mega gunmen DHD's neutral is garbage and he doesn't win it enough to take advantage of his superior combo game.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
On the topic of edge guarding, I don't know if I can ask this since it's open ended, but I've never seen people discuss who the strongest edge guarders are in the game and I've always wondered what people think. I know there's no solid criteria for what makes a good edge guarder, but we can still have a general idea.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
On the topic of edge guarding, I don't know if I can ask this since it's open ended, but I've never seen people discuss who the strongest edge guarders are in the game and I've always wondered what people think. I know there's no solid criteria for what makes a good edge guarder, but we can still have a general idea.
Good edge guarders typically have quick aerials with low enough endlag/good enough recovery that they can make it back after going in for the kill. Solid ledge trump options also help here. A subset of edgeguarders, like Little Mac, have the advantage of a strong hit with good KB angle (Dsmash) hitting below the ledge and straight walling out a lot of recoveries/ledge snaps.

Most of the high/top tiers have excellent offstage play. Sheik is completely safe when she goes off the ledge with a plethora or moves (and side b if she opts to stay on stage), ZSS has flip kick and a really good ledge trump/bair. Rosaluma can use Luma to cover options, dair through the ledge, or trump/bair, though fair's huge hitbox is also an option. Sonic has a good Bair/general trickery with spring placement, and Mario has fireballs to gimp low opponents, solid ledge trump options with bair, and cape/FLUDD/fair spike (occasionally) to mess with anyone who dares stay above the ledge when recovering. I can't say as much for some characters like Fox and (to a degree) Ryu, but high tiers are pretty set when it comes to edgeguarding.

I won't discredit lower tier characters here, though. Duck Hunt has an interesting ability to cover multiple recovery options with can. The Links have enough projectiles and strong, fast, disjointed aerials to interfere with most recovery paths. Bowser Junior can be absolutely menacing with the Mechanical Koopa, and Peach's turnips can steal a double jump while her float covers their recovery path. Zelda, my main, is one of the best in the game at following deep for an aerial and recovering, as well as having dtilt under ledge to lightning kick as one of her most potent kill options.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Didn't someone ask about Japan or SHI-G's tier list? I don't have a source nor do I remember who asked for which, so take this with a grain of salt until someone can confirm it... Of all the places to see this first... the Zelda social.

Once again, I really don't understand why the Pits aren't just lopped together. They're barely different compared to Dr. Mario and Mario and Lucina and Marth. To me, it's more like a "legalized custom Pit" where yes, because you have different functioning moves that also includes a randomly weaker Ftilt, you will have to deal with things differently, but because you're barely any different, might as well have them be considered the same fighter. Also, I fail to see how Samus is considered that bad. I mean, really? Oh, and finally! Ike's actually considered good. Meanwhile, Marth... Oh, and Bowser's placing seems a little too... optimistic. Don't know much about Nintendo of America's Vice President of Sales, but I feel like he should be at most in B for now since while his U-throw is now a fantastic setup, Bowser still has his other old troubles.
Although I am glad that there are people who see Mii Gunner's potential, I also would like to know who uses Mii Gunner in Japan to justify the placement (it would be interesting to learn something new about my main). Then again, this ranking does explain why the list of possible buffs for Gunner on reddit has been completely ignored.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Good edge guarders typically have quick aerials with low enough endlag/good enough recovery that they can make it back after going in for the kill. Solid ledge trump options also help here. A subset of edgeguarders, like Little Mac, have the advantage of a strong hit with good KB angle (Dsmash) hitting below the ledge and straight walling out a lot of recoveries/ledge snaps.

Most of the high/top tiers have excellent offstage play. Sheik is completely safe when she goes off the ledge with a plethora or moves (and side b if she opts to stay on stage), ZSS has flip kick and a really good ledge trump/bair. Rosaluma can use Luma to cover options, dair through the ledge, or trump/bair, though fair's huge hitbox is also an option. Sonic has a good Bair/general trickery with spring placement, and Mario has fireballs to gimp low opponents, solid ledge trump options with bair, and cape/FLUDD/fair spike (occasionally) to mess with anyone who dares stay above the ledge when recovering. I can't say as much for some characters like Fox and (to a degree) Ryu, but high tiers are pretty set when it comes to edgeguarding.

I won't discredit lower tier characters here, though. Duck Hunt has an interesting ability to cover multiple recovery options with can. The Links have enough projectiles and strong, fast, disjointed aerials to interfere with most recovery paths. Bowser Junior can be absolutely menacing with the Mechanical Koopa, and Peach's turnips can steal a double jump while her float covers their recovery path. Zelda, my main, is one of the best in the game at following deep for an aerial and recovering, as well as having dtilt under ledge to lightning kick as one of her most potent kill options.
Lasting hitboxes/multihit moves are also very powerful edgeguarding tools. They can catch airdodges and tend to cover more options. Large, arcing hitboxes are also helpful. Not to discredit projectiles, either. They can be very potent at restricting options and helping to set up for a satisfactory gimp.

Browny

Smash Hater
I suppose I can understand pacman's placement since Abadango was the last well known pacman out there, and I guess I can understand Robin's placement as well because the amount of Robin mains out there is severely lacking.

What I don't understand is why Yoshi continues to be held in such high regard. Even in Japan, his impact is minimal and in theory, he's a rather decent character overall. Good strengths (high damage, amazing aerial mobility) but big flaws (weak approach, very unsafe attacks all around, no kill setups, minimal ways to get past shield...)

But I could be selling Yoshi short, so I would love to be corrected.
I'd say Yoshi is in the same viability as Falcon, oppressive towards low and mid tiers but doesnt really beat any of the top 10 or so characters. Sometimes you do have to give credit to the fact that they have such an overwhelmingly positive matchup spread while many other 'highly viable' characters have the odd weak matchup to mid tiers and go down to the likes of megaman and dk.

Routa

Smash Lord
Did someone say edgeguarding?

I would say Mii Swordfighter is up there with the top tiers when it comes to edgeguarding. He/she/it might lack Ike's Fair or Ganondorf's Dair, but what he/she/it has is a versatile set of edgeguarding tools. He/she/it can: Drag you to hell with Dair (which is really hard to challenge), Fair right in the face (pretty much Pit(s)'s Fair but with higer kill power), ledgetrump into Bair (not Ike stronk, but still very stronk), forbidding you from grabing the ledge with Chakram, spike you with Up-B, mess up your recovery with Tornado etc. He pretty much has tools for everything. But the thing is that his edgeguarding game is very moveset specific. You wont see 1111 Guest going for an edgeguard as lets say 1331 small/small.

Edit: Totally not Biased at all. But hey it is Mii so why should we care, eh?

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I have to say something about that tier list.
It's actually very bad, if not abysmal, for a tier list.

Here, I'll do the honors of making a corrected version of this tier list:

:4sheik::4zss::4sonic::rosalina:
:4pikachu::4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4fox:
:4mario::4yoshi::4diddy::4luigi::4darkpit::4pit::4ness::4peach::4falcon:
:4wario::4rob::4miibrawl::4myfriends::4link::4lucario::4olimar::4cloud:
:4megaman::4pacman::4tlink::4greninja::4dk:
:4wiifit::4lucas::4bowser::4gaw::4mewtwo::4drmario::4shulk:
:4ganondorf::4robinm::4feroy::4palutena::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4falco::4samus::4miisword:
:4duckhunt::4marth::4charizard::4lucina::4miigun::4kirby:
:4jigglypuff::4zelda::4dedede:
This often goes one of two ways. Either I created a somewhat agreeable tier list or a complete joke list. Either way, this list mocks what the former tier list above did.

No way Link isn't good off stage, regardless of where his fair falls in some comparison.

Edit: For what it's worth, Mario said, "You keep praising Link's edge guarding," to start his earlier post, which is definitely saying he is dismissing Link's edge guarding. But anyway, I realize that they are comparing fairs, but I'm talking about off stage game as a whole. It might be a topic changer, but it's because how dangerous Link's fair is compared to Ike's doesn't matter when you look at edge guarding as a whole, which is what we should discuss instead.
Oh, I do have something to add about Link's edge-guarding prowess. Link's D-Air is good not for FF (don't do it), but instead for having the chance to stage spike the opponent. I'll admit, Link's meteor with D-Air is...abysmal, but that doesn't stop him from beating opponents who recover from under the stage. His D-Air is his best stage spike tool, like how his N-Air is his best horizontal edge-guard move and his F-Air is pretty good for opportunistic and early kills. His F-Tilt is also good for getting getups outside of a jump (sometimes outside of a jump).

Link has the off stage game and possible setups that could allow him to have a pretty dangerous game against his opponent.

Now I know I said Link's F-Air is pretty powerful, but it is a very good tool when applied. It's one of his many edge-guarding tools that he has going for him and its buffs make it all the more dangerous against opponents.

But I do agree with all what you're saying, Link has a multitude of good edge-guarding setups on opponents. D-Air and Downward thrown Bombs are good against below-the-stage recoveries (depending on your opponents position, it can stage spike), N-Air is just good for wrecking recoveries, F-Air is a good kill option off stage and admittedly, Z-Air can also wreck recoveries.

But the entire conversation is about whether or not Link's Fair is the most dangerous in the game and whether or not Link's Fair, and only Link's Fair, is very good at edgeguarding. Nothing more, nothing less. There's been talk about setting up Fair, but that's pretty much it.
It's not the best F-Air, but it's one of the most dangerous F-Airs in the game. It's not as dangerous as Ganondorf, Sheik or even Ryu's, but it's very dangerous to the point where Link can score rather great KOs against his opponents. Link's F-Air is very good at edge-guarding if you look at his kit, but I'm not discrediting or disregarding his other aerials like D-Air and N-Air. I know they're much better for usage, and I only went to the F-Air speak due to how the attack was buffed tremendously and how it is a more viable edge-guarding or KO'ing tool.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin being ranked low suits me fine. Hopefully the buffs keep on coming in response, but I can deal in the event that they don't.

LancerStaff said:
Pretty sure the buffs are running out for these characters... Considering that Marth and Lucina got nerfed even though they're typically seen as bad characters.

They're not stupid. Ike's not going to become a god because Japan doesn't care about him. Actually, Robin might end up nerfed next patch just to balance out the new shield mechanics.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently, I messed up everyone's recovery frames... by 1 frame. At the same time, since I don't trust myself as seeing how I entered 66 for Falco's Fire Bird when it's 25 and even entered Sheik's U-throw and F-throw data with Shulk's F-throw... This is going to be fun. Also, Cloud's Uair and Dair have insane lingering frames at 19 for Uair and 25 for Dair. To note, Uair's clean hit does 13% and stays out for 3 frames and the late hit does 9.5% and stays out for 16 frames. All of Cloud's aerials have high active frames except for Bair which only has 3. From highest to lowest, it's Dair at 25, Uair at 19, Nair at 11, Fair at 8 - literally a DK Fair that spikes during the initial frames instead of the later and has 3 more active frames, but with much less landing lag and better auto-cancel windows in return for lower damage -, and Bair at 3. They all also have massive hitboxes where Uair and Dair are fat slabs of metal, Fair and Bair are sweeping hits, and Nair is an arcing swipe. Boy, oh boy, does Cloud wish his Bair has Marth's active frames. Right now, with the sweeping motion, it's like Roy where it looks like it should hit lower or something, but it doesn't. Both Cloud and Roy's are 3 active frame moves while Marth's is 5. Imagine Cloud's Bair having 5 active frames... Let that sink in for a bit... Have I brought you... despair?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Apparently, I messed up everyone's recovery frames... by 1 frame. At the same time, since I don't trust myself as seeing how I entered 66 for Falco's Fire Bird when it's 25 and even entered Sheik's U-throw and F-throw data with Shulk's F-throw... This is going to be fun. Also, Cloud's Uair and Dair have insane lingering frames at 19 for Uair and 25 for Dair. To note, Uair's clean hit does 13% and stays out for 3 frames and the late hit does 9.5% and stays out for 16 frames. All of Cloud's aerials have high active frames except for Bair which only has 3. From highest to lowest, it's Dair at 25, Uair at 19, Nair at 11, Fair at 8 - literally a DK Fair that spikes during the initial frames instead of the later and has 3 more active frames, but with much less landing lag and better auto-cancel windows in return for lower damage -, and Bair at 3. They all also have massive hitboxes where Uair and Dair are fat slabs of metal, Fair and Bair are sweeping hits, and Nair is an arcing swipe. Boy, oh boy, does Cloud wish his Bair has Marth's active frames. Right now, with the sweeping motion, it's like Roy where it looks like it should hit lower or something, but it doesn't. Both Cloud and Roy's are 3 active frame moves while Marth's is 5. Imagine Cloud's Bair having 5 active frames... Let that sink in for a bit... Have I brought you... despair?
Cloud's aerials are dumb, I always thought so. Especially with that weight and mobility.

Roy has a lot of "he had this trait in Melee so let's make it the same here". That's why in comparison to Marth his Uair has more active frames but his Bair or Fsmash have less. Or how he has one Jab while Marth has two.

Of course they also threw all of that out the window when they decided to bless Roy with more mobility and weight than Marth (and even less end lag). The opposite of what it used to be.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I'm still on the 'Give back Brawl Ike down air' train.

If a 25 active frame down air that combos into other moves, auto cancels the frame after the hitbox ends move can be in the game why can't Ike have:

A 14 active frame down air that would combo into other moves, does NOT auto cancel the frame after the hitbox ends and would not be usable like Cloud's is, where they can FH Down air and kinda just yolo it because auto cancel.

Not to mention Ike still does exactly the same animation from Brawl, when his sword is still stabbing down but there's no hitbox, unlike Brawl where there WAS a hitbox, just it didn't spike.

I have a ton of 'Balance team why' comments about Cloud but when his kit doesn't synergize well to get kills I'm a-ok with him having decent neutral but can't close out stocks.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The way I see it, there's three "regions" of edgeguarding: deep offstage, near offstage and onstage (ledge traps, sniping poor snaps, projectile harassment etc.)

:4jigglypuff:,:4metaknight:,:4mewtwo:,:4peach:,:4pikachu:,:4villager:, :4zelda:(at least vertically), :4shulk: (with jump), :4sheik:

:4bowserjr:,:4dedede:,:4falco:,:4drmario:,:4ganondorf:,:4kirby:,:4marth:/:4lucina:, :4megaman:,:4falcon:,:4greninja:,:4link:, :4samus:, :4gaw:, :4miisword:, :4lucas:, :4pit:

:4cloud:, :4duckhunt:, :4myfriends:, :4littlemac:, :4lucario:, :4wario:, :4pacman:, :rosalina:, :4rob:

Obviously there's some overlap, characters who can go deep can usually edgeguard near the stage too, and it's not uncommon for those good at near offstage edgeguarding to have strong options for punishing getups as well.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
"Stageguarding" (aka the opponent is on the ledge and tries to get on-stage) is much more prevelant in Smash 4 than Edgeguarding imo. Most of the time you will make it to the ledge anyway.

Good Stage Guarder are characters that can cover multiple options at once. I think Fox, Diddy and ROB are the best stage guarders in the game but there might be more. (Fox for his fast option selection, Diddy for banane on the ledge covering, same for Robs gyro)
People don't talk much about this subject but I think it's one of the most important aspects of Smash 4.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"Stageguarding" (aka the opponent is on the ledge and tries to get on-stage) is much more prevelant in Smash 4 than Edgeguarding imo. Most of the time you will make it to the ledge anyway.

Good Stage Guarder are characters that can cover multiple options at once. I think Fox, Diddy and ROB are the best stage guarders in the game but there might be more. (Fox for his fast option selection, Diddy for banane on the ledge covering, same for Robs gyro)
People don't talk much about this subject but I think it's one of the most important aspects of Smash 4.
I mean... almost everybody is proficient at "stageguarding" to some degree. Key moves being those that are either fast and/or have generous active frames (Flamethrower/Fire Breath, Chomp), or the ability to place a harmful object on the ledge (Gordos, Trick Shot, Luma).

Pac-Man is unique in that he can outright FORCE the opponent's option to be "jump" with trampoline. If they opt to wait it out instead he gets charging time, or a hydrant on their head.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I mean... almost everybody is proficient at "stageguarding" to some degree. Key moves being those that are either fast and/or have generous active frames (Flamethrower/Fire Breath, Chomp), or the ability to place a harmful object on the ledge (Gordos, Trick Shot, Luma).

Pac-Man is unique in that he can outright FORCE the opponent's option to be "jump" with trampoline. If they opt to wait it out instead he gets charging time, or a hydrant on their head.
While every character could have proficient stage-guarding, there are obviously those who have it better than others. I believe it can be argued that :4littlemac: has it good because he is quick like :4fox: but he almost always goes for the 2 frame with D-Smash. If Little Mac mains become more proficient in hitting the 2-frame with D-Smash it could be quite scary...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

If a 25 active frame down air that combos into other moves, auto cancels the frame after the hitbox ends move can be in the game why can't Ike have:

A 14 active frame down air that would combo into other moves, does NOT auto cancel the frame after the hitbox ends and would not be usable like Cloud's is, where they can FH Down air and kinda just yolo it because auto cancel.

Not to mention Ike still does exactly the same animation from Brawl, when his sword is still stabbing down but there's no hitbox, unlike Brawl where there WAS a hitbox, just it didn't spike.

I have a ton of 'Balance team why' comments about Cloud but when his kit doesn't synergize well to get kills I'm a-ok with him having decent neutral but can't close out stocks.
idk what world you live in where Cloud cant close stocks.

Mess with him bro.

He is a killing machine. Limit Cross Slash is an amazing punish and safe on block. He has ledge trap set-ups that are untech wall bounces as well as ledge trump limit cross slash.

He can seal stocks far better then the majority of the cast.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
idk what world you live in where Cloud cant close stocks.

Mess with him bro.

He is a killing machine. Limit Cross Slash is an amazing punish and safe on block. He has ledge trap set-ups that are untech wall bounces as well as ledge trump limit cross slash.

He can seal stocks far better then the majority of the cast.
I'm mostly talking non-limit. Most of Cloud's moves are good in neutral, but for getting the kill his main options require a good read or high percent to get them. Komorikiri was getting kills with dash attack at like 150+, unless he was getting the fraudulent Reverse N-Air Up-Air FT finish or people run into Limit Cross Slash. Limit Cross Slash is amazing, no doubt, but it's more of a hard punish/damage racking tool. FT has no real set-ups into it because it being frame 16, and limit blade beam is limited to ledge traps/recovery punishes.

It's one of the reasons I think Ike vs Cloud is either even or slightly in Ike's favor. Cloud racks up damage insanely well, one of the best DPS machines in the game, but sealing the stock after ~100-110 becomes much harder because he doesn't have that decent kill confirm or a good throw to use to set up a finisher, and Cloud can only go so far off-stage without putting himself in danger.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Because he just got thrown off the stage and had to UpB his way back on stage.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Wait wait..

Back up here?

Why doesnt Cloud have limit?
Because Limit is not a infinite state of being for Cloud, and regardless of how easy or hard it is for him to build it back up it's probably not a good idea to simply assume you'll have it every time you need it. Especially since if he ends up thrown offstage or something he's forced to burn it on his recovery.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
How often Cloud has limit, relatively speaking, has a tight inverse correlation with how well his opponent understands the matchup.

(Little Mac and Ganon and maybe Robin aside.)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Cloud is going to get it. Alot. He really is not vulnerable charging it.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Speaking about Cloud's matchups, I find Shulk vs Cloud really interesting to think about/play, mostly because of shield art.

While Cloud's dtilt is often good at punishing SH aerial approaches, for once in the entire game the fact that Shulk's starts below him is a good thing. Unfortunately for Shulk, since Clouds legs are intangible during dtilt (or something to that effect) the attacks only cancel out.

The Shield art seems to do a pretty good job of making some of Clouds limit a non factor for awhile. Finishing touch can't kill Shield Shulk before 120% (For reference, it kills everyone else from ~60-70%). It also reduce the damage of cross slash.

Shulk can act out of regular climhazzard before it finishes (if you choose to use the second hit, he can act in between).

Shulk's Nair (and other attacks, but mostly Nair) eat through blade beam and continue on.

Speed and Jump make it harder to try to camp him out to charge limit. Camping out for limit also has the effect of giving Shulk time to get the shield Monado art back.

Even with Cloud's step forward, Shulk's Fmash outranges all the hits of clouds. Shulk also outranges on Fair, unsure about Nair.

Shulk's jump art allows deep gimps even against a limit holding Cloud off stage.

Cloud gets to juggle Shulk for days with uair though. I just talked about the Shulk pros in this matchup, since I'm sure everyone else can already/would want to speak on Cloud's. Perhaps it could be Shulks saving grace matchup, ala Dr. Mario and
Pikachu.
Still completely surprised that the Nair starting below Shulk actually helps. "Never thought I'd see the day."

Any Clouds fought any Shulks yet?

I fear I'm actually starting think Shulk's not completely awful. I did, but that was before the shield stun and last patch buffs made Nair and retreating fair/bair so safe on shield...

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese

Someone has to say it...

Buddy, you're the only one here who wants Ike buffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom