• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Challenger Pack 11 Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
One missed opportunity: they got permission to include a Disney character in Smash, and yet we couldn't get this gem:

(I realize that they almost definitely couldn't include any content from the Disney animated canon, but come on!)

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I can't believe Smash actually ended on the most requested character in its history. I can't believe we didn't get a random or bewildering pick, but someone that Sakurai actually promised Iwata he'd get.

Man, the ending really is both illuminating and bittersweet.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No but like Sora definitely has the best reveal trailer. No lie. The tension, the build up, the sheer insanity of seeing the Mickey Mouse symbol, him flying around awakening the rest of the cast as Simple and Clean plays.

It absolutely nailed what a big moment it is and also the magic of Kingdom Hearts/Disney and the central themes of both. It's gonna be hard to top that one come next go around.
100 percent agree. It brings the game full circle, while making you question where its going, and then you see that mickey mouse chain and go

"HOLY ****"

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
No but like Sora definitely has the best reveal trailer. No lie. The tension, the build up, the sheer insanity of seeing the Mickey Mouse symbol, him flying around awakening the rest of the cast as Simple and Clean plays.

It absolutely nailed what a big moment it is and also the magic of Kingdom Hearts/Disney and the central themes of both. It's gonna be hard to top that one come next go around.
Dunno if it was better then Sephiroth's, but Square sharing the top 3 trailers counting :4cloud:'s trailer, :ultsephiroth:'s trailer and now Sora too is nuts.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think, the fact that he kept that secret, and worked with Iwata to try and get him, is what really did it for me, and genuinely did hit me.

Those guys really were all about fullfilling people's MOST REQUESTED characters, but it took them so long.
But they did it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Eh, not entirely. We got a fire themed tournament before Sora who clearly has a fire attack. It wasn't exactly accurate.
Yeah but when you think sora, you think keyblade first, not fire.

But we see don't his spirit event, so who knows.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't believe Smash actually ended on the most requested character in its history. I can't believe we didn't get a random or bewildering pick, but someone that Sakurai actually promised Iwata he'd get.

Man, the ending really is both illuminating and bittersweet.
I'm going to be that ***** and say that the most requested character in Smash's history will likely always remain as Sonic.

Not to impugn Sora, who was also a request since Brawl that only grew over time.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I wonder just how hard it was for Sakurai to get Sora into Smash?
Probably very hard, considering Sakurai repeatedly mentioned how shocked he was they pulled this off. Plus it took him, Iwata, and several years for this to all come together.

Then again, Disney did say awhile back, they wouldn't have any issues with letting Sora in. I imagine it was still a little hard though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm gonna say it first.

I still want Lara, Frogger, Rayman, Crash, Scorpion, Bomberman, Agumon, Isaac, Eevee, Captain Toad, and 15 others.

Well, about 50 others, but truly... there will always be more.

Still, I am so grateful; this was as satisfying as any single choice could be.

____

Disney has been trying to break into the video game industry for decades- it is the fastest growing source of entertainment, year after year. The one market they havn't truly breeched. This should have been simple (I'm sure it wasn't).

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Not a Kingdom Hearts fan by any stretch but I’m happy for Sora fans. He looks surprisingly fun to play. Great reveal to end on.

Personally, I’m relieved that the speculation can come to an end.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It’s almost depressing to think about where Smash goes from this point onward; you all know how many hurdles it had to go through. I just hope the next game can have even a fraction of the magic this one did.
Every single time a Smash Bros. game "ends" we think next one's gonna disappoint.
Smash has become too big to fail. Smash 6 will be huge, I'm actually expecting Sony jumping on board at this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Imma let you finish but Sephiroth had the best reveal trailer of all time

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
If you genuinely think people would give a **** if the SMT 5 protag was in smash, then I don't know what to tell you. But they wouldn;t.

The game has a strong fanbase that will carry it. Its not the type of game to have broadened appeal because not everybody likes action rpgs like it. They would see the protag as a shill pick that stole thousands of other characters slots and absolutely hate them.

Just like every FE character. Because that game series falls in a similar boat with its fanbase.
They would. You would understand that if you actually knew how niche Persona and even Persona 5 was before the Game Awards and Smash.
I thought Nahobino was one of the doomer memes. I didn't think anyone actually wanted them, let alone enough to get actively angry about them not making it. Huh.
I am angry about Disney getting into Smash and the wasted marketing potential on Nintendo’s end, not about Sora getting in or Nahobino not getting in specifically.
Yet it is still far more popular than SMT has ever been.
Ok? That is kind of the whole reason why I wanted a SMT rep in Smash.
The million views on the presentation throughout the entire presentation, and the cheers on social media beg to differ.
Social media is pure trash. Most of them have never even played Kingdom Hearts.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Every single time a Smash Bros. game "ends" we think next one's gonna disappoint.
Smash has become too big to fail. Smash 6 will be huge, I'm actually expecting Sony jumping on board at this point.
No telling if everybody is coming back, but you’re right. Exponential growth is one of this series’ greatest strengths. I actually want the franchise to go multiplat next time.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
They would. You would understand that if you actually knew how niche Persona and even Persona 5 was before the Game Awards and Smash.

I am angry about Disney getting into Smash and the wasted marketing potential on Nintendo’s end, not about Sora getting in or Nahobino not getting in specifically.

Ok? That is kind of the whole reason why I wanted a SMT rep in Smash.

Social media is pure trash. Most of them have never even played Kingdom Hearts.
Hear me out, maybe if you actually bought Smash you’d see that it’s more than a high budget marketing machine?

Nah, that’s crazy isn’t it? Gamers don’t actually play games.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Hear me out, maybe if you actually bought Smash you’d see that it’s more than a high budget marketing machine?

Nah, that’s crazy isn’t it? Gamers don’t actually play games.
I played Smash 64 before some of you were even born, GTFOH.

I know full well what Smash USED to be before Brawl, but the post here about expecting Sony characters in Smash 6 is exactly what I was talking about.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
S
No telling if everybody is coming back, but you’re right. Exponential growth is one of this series’ greatest strengths. I actually want the franchise to go multiplat next time.
This will never happen of course but I wonder how many companies are now actively requesting Sora or Sakurai himself to put their characters in the game. Of course for Sora they had to pull some strings and do some convincing, but I believe for characters like Joker and Terry it was waaaay easier.
We're still missing a few icons. Crash Bandicoot, an Elder Scrolls rep, Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, Master Chief, these are all great picks for the next game and it'll simply become bigger and bigger. The focus is obviously shifting into third party representation with barely a little more of 50% of the newcomers being Nintendo's and that makes absolute sense.
I always predicted Smash was going to go full force into third party more and more. At this point I'm expecting Nintendo reps in Smash 6 being the bare minimum with obvious reps meant to marketing a new game (such a new Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Xeno or new franchise rep), a few picks to fill the most wanted ones (Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Impa, Geno) and then go full on third party. Everyone will want to jump on the train now, being left out is almost like saying they're not good enough for Smash.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Aight I'm gonna say it
I really want to try a Kingdom Hearts game.
Everyone loves the series and Sora. I want to see and feel this love myself and I look forward to this.

What an ultimate ending.
SuperWiiBro08 is probably making a Hoes Mad vid for this.. but who can be mad?
Why be mad at Disney? Who was willing to do this?
Why be mad at Square?
At SAKURAI?
At Nintendo?

Why ignore the tears of joy you'd see in people's reactions?

#ThankYouSakurai
And farewell, Ultimate.

I hope the World Video Game Hall of fame recognizes your talents and gifts.

And the dude comes out before my birthday.
What a gift, Mr. Sakurai.
What a gift...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom