• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Challenger Pack 11 Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I played Smash 64 before some of you were even born, GTFOH.

I know full well what Smash USED to be before Brawl, but the post here about expecting Sony characters in Smash 6 is exactly what I was talking about.
You know what Smash used to be, not what it is. Get over yourself.

This is a waste of time. If you wish to wallow in your ego, so be it.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
S

This will never happen of course but I wonder how many companies are now actively requesting Sora or Sakurai himself to put their characters in the game. Of course for Sora they had to pull some strings and do some convincing, but I believe for characters like Joker and Terry it was waaaay easier.
We're still missing a few icons. Crash Bandicoot, an Elder Scrolls rep, Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, Master Chief, these are all great picks for the next game and it'll simply become bigger and bigger. The focus is obviously shifting into third party representation with barely a little more of 50% of the newcomers being Nintendo's and that makes absolute sense.
I always predicted Smash was going to go full force into third party more and more. At this point I'm expecting Nintendo reps in Smash 6 being the bare minimum with obvious reps meant to marketing a new game (such a new Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Xeno or new franchise rep), a few picks to fill the most wanted ones (Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Impa, Geno) and then go full on third party. Everyone will want to jump on the train now, being left out is almost like saying they're not good enough for Smash.
That’s a very good point. We could get console competitors, indie studios… man, I love this franchise.
Speaking of which, have you seen me gush about my own MW on the speculation thread? Once I can access my computer, I’ll share some of the things I’ve made for her!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They would. You would understand that if you actually knew how niche Persona and even Persona 5 was before the Game Awards and Smash.

I am angry about Disney getting into Smash and the wasted marketing potential on Nintendo’s end, not about Sora getting in or Nahobino not getting in specifically.

Ok? That is kind of the whole reason why I wanted a SMT rep in Smash.

Social media is pure trash. Most of them have never even played Kingdom Hearts.
-persona 5 niche, when Alpharad one of the biggest gamers shilled the hell out of it and gave it a lot of new fans

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A while back, I made up a hypothetical Fighters Pass 2 if spirits and Mii costumes meant that a character was ruled out, since this was still in the ARMS guessing game phase and it was unclear if base game spirits would get promoted or not. I was preparing for that scenario, so I picked my most wanted if that wound up being the case, including an ARMS character since it was already confirmed that we'd be getting one:

...So, yeah, that didn't age well.

Still, congratulations to Sora fans, Kazuya fans, Pyra and Mythra fans, Sephiroth fans, Steve fans, Min Min fans, Banjo and Kazooie fans, Simon and Richter Belmont fans, K. Rool fans, Ridley fans, Inkling fans, fans of any veterans... It's been a crazy game, and I'm glad that it went out on a high note with Sora being added to Smash Bros. (rather than a low note, which I was fully expecting)

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
General Thoughts:

I don't have any personal attachment for the series, but he was one of the big three in my head for the game to have gone out on alongside Master Chief & Crash so I have no complaints. His moveset seems like it'll be fun and I'm curious to see what players like ESAM will be able to do with his side special. I still don't have much interest in the series, but the PS2 original has been on my to-get list for a while now.

The lack of Disney content is not surprising in the least but naturally still a tad disappointing. It does feel like though that Sakurai was able to do more here than he could with Dragon Quest at least. There is more music overall and his victory theme is actually a new arrangement; English voice acting too.

Only thing that makes me angry is locking the extra music track behind buying a separate game. Considering this is already paid DLC, it's definitely something that's in a weird position but also not really considering Disney. Hopefully it'll be made available for free down the line or that the free Demo version on the eShop will work to unlock it.

His stage seems like it'll be great for competitive play. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to harzardless Smashville. It's a bit of a bummer there aren't any extra cameos or background appearances though. It was minor but Slimes/Mimmicks on Yggdrasil's Altar were a nice touch.

The Mii costumes were kind of a bummer at how few there were; I was expecting at least 4 more. Doom Slayer is a big get though and will be an automatic purchase if only so the Isabelle meme can be made real. I wonder how the copyright will look now that Doom is owed by Microsoft; I don't think it affected Dragonborn but that was months ago.

It's nice that Amiibo were brought up again. I had a feeling we'd be getting an extra Alex amiibo alongside Steve; Steve will probably be the cheapest amiibo to make alongside Mr. G&W so it's nice they threw us collectors an extra bone. It worries me that he didn't confirm that Sora will get an amiibo as well but I could just be being paranoid because Disney. I really want to make a custom display case for my collection and I hope this is the endgame. Hopefully it won't take as long as it did for Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta to release their figures.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean yea there were no Disney characters per se
But TECHNICALLY it's Disney content.
I mean, we all saw the Mickey Mouse keychain. I want to rewatch the entire presentation because I feel like I missed a few small details, such as stage details. Not sure if there are subtle Disney things they actually have.

Oh well. Still very happy.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
GamesCage's,
RogersBases's
And Keef's are my 3 favorite reactions to Sora so far.

Keep sending over the good reactions, y'all lol

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I really love how they intentionally made the trailer sooo ambiguous. I personally didn't know wtf to expect, we were literally in the dark and everyone was...trophies? those aren't even in ultimate lmao. They started with inkling's gaze (like the first trailer) and made me think DJ Octavio or even a TBA Splatoon 3 char... (plus octoling mii)

then the trophies made me think smashOC like Tabuu or Masterhand...then my bias kicked in and made me think Crazyhand...then the worst part of me thought Sandbag

the smash ball fire getting snuffed out made me think King Boo...then the lone flame on the ground made me think ****ing Dark Souls

I didn't know WTF Mario was boutta do but the thrown fireball made me IMMEDIATELY think Cinderace would kick it back...my heart sank to my gut

Its like there were multiple, or even infinite, possible timelines and we got the canon ending. The good ending.

Last edited:

DoomerRJ

Smash Rookie
Even though I wanted him as an actual fighter, I’m still pretty happy we got Doomguy and FPS representation in some capacity in this game, and his costume is pretty cute, definitely one of the better Mii Costumes imo, I just wished he at least had his Plasma Rifle instead of the Doom 2016 pistol. But I’m actually pretty optimistic that he’ll be a fighter in Smash 6, might just be me coping, but I’m hopeful LOL. I never expected Sora to get in, but he’s honestly the perfect character to end this game on, so I’m really happy for everyone that wanted him, and his trailer was incredible. Also his recovery is actually insane, this man actually defies the laws of gravity with the **** he can do LMAO.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Anyone else immediately think of Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura when the first Mii was shown?

Pretty sick looking moveset! Hopefully his light weight won't be too light lol.... I got bayo vibes with the combo game though not game breaking like smash 4 bayo...

And he counters God this character will be fun to play as. I had said no more swords please but now that I've see it how they implemented it I'm actually perfectly fine with it. Plus he has magic!

Everyone who said no way or gatekept him cause Disney reasons welp guess u wer rong!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still don’t see Sora on the banner and I cleared my cache

what do I do

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You really don't know how much you wanted a character until you actually start crying when you see the trailer. Even right now I can't believe it, it's like I'm going to wake up any moment now. But I'm probably not alone; number 1 on the ballot. It makes so much sense yet it surprised me all the same.

It's heartwarming to picture Sakurai looking at the results and making it his mission to make it happen for the next game. I know Smash isn't actually the narrative we perceive it so Ultimate wasn't made to lead up to Sora, and in fact Sora is probably in just now because negotiations didn't go anywhere until 2018 at best, but I can't help but feel like, in a way, this is what Sakurai makes Smash for. To make us, the fans, happy. And he tries his darnedest, and today I think we can all agree he succeeded.

Thank you Sakurai, thank you to all the devs at Nintendo and Sora and Bandai Namco, thank you to all the creators and license holders that pitched in... and thank you Iwata.

See you all for Smash 6!

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
God this was an ordeal lol. I had an exam at the exact same time as the presentation this morning, and of course I knew trying to look up the presentation afterwards would only result in spoilers, so I had to have a friend stream the dang thing to me through Discord. But you know what it was worth it! That trailer was so vague and I seriously thought the little ember would lead to Cinderace. As much as I'm not a Cinderace doomer I am definitely glad it was Sora instead, I don't think anyone could be mad about an inclusion as huge and beloved as that.

That said I'm kinda thinking I would have preferred Doomguy in the end

Sora's moveset looks WILD dudes. He will never ever be gimped with a recovery like that. But also it doesn't seem like he'll be toxic because he's lightweight and has a shorter reach than a lot of other sword wielders. Definitely gonna be near top tier with mobility like that. Heck, Yoshi is my main to this day partially because I love his incredible air mobility, so maybe Sora will click with me. In the same competitive vein, I do have fears that Sora's stage will be ignored because it's too similar to hazardless Smashville. We need more stages in this game competitive community! If I see PS2 one more time I'll lose it! Also the rubberhose alternate costume might be the only one I'll ever use it's so good.

I'm a little disappointed there's no real Disney content in this pack though. How could they not include Donald and Goofy? I mean it's Donald and Goofy! The whole point of Kingdom Hearts could be said to be friendship and you don't include Sora's best friend smh.

We finally get an explanation for what "realizable" meant for Bayonetta's ballot win in Smash 4. Makes sense to me lol, Disney makes everything a little less realizable don't they? I'm guessing in the end that the top 10 of the ballot was some combination of Sora, Bayonetta, King K. Rool, and then allll the cut characters from previous Smash games.

Kingdom Hearts coming to Switch is for sure the most underrated announcement to me here. I'm sure as hell not getting a PS5 anytime soon lol so I'll finally be albe to experience the series I've heard about for years and years. I hope only KHIII is cloud gaming though, since that's just annoying.

That round of numbers at the end pretty much confirms to me we'll be getting no Spirit Board events that add new games to the mix, which is sad, but there's a certain weight off my shoulders knowing that SSBU is truly and finally done. I just hope it means we'll be supported with balance patches for a while. And I hope that you've all generally enjoyed yourselves for the past three and a half years! Speculating had its wild ups and downs, but it was an exhilarating ride throughout for sure. Hope this place at least stays open til the 18th or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom