• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, just bringing up what Wander said awhile ago...it kinda got lost in the sea of posts lol. This sounds like a good idea, especially since Marth's voice has already been taken out.
Why thanks. And I'm glad the Counter animation was changed back so we have more animations to work with for Flare Blade.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Flare blade is freakin awesome, good job Camelot! Though it does seem to scoot you forward each time you use it, needs fixing no doubt.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
how about the 3rd down hit of ded?? it seems like it could be a good fit for the counter or the neutral b.
but ill try the new one before i say anthing else the.
Camelot addressed that earlier. The 3rd down hit is glitchy/hard to hit with for counter.

Edit: Oops. Yeah, down hit hasn't been tried, but it def wouldn't work for flare blade.

camelot

Smash Ace
3rd down hit of DED is too fast for Flare Blade, and the animation is really hard to hit with in the air. So it doesn't really work for Counter, either.

edit: Bankai, I said the 3rd UP hit was glitchy. But the same would happen to the 3rd down hit.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Camelot, things are lookin reeal good. Just a few minor things tho--

I was messing around with Roy in melee and noticed that his blazer does nearly half the dmg it does in Brawl+. I think the dmg needs to be toned down on it. As for the hitlag, I think that's just about right.

Also, it's probly a good thing that flare blade was slowed down a tad. It was a bit too fast b4 :D

The only other issue is the forward scooting on the flare blade whilst on the ground.

***Updated List of things ta Doo:

Current .pac fixes:

-Possible blazer dmg reduction?
-Flare blade forward scoot while on ground--needs to go
-Uthrow--75 degree angle (leafgreen386)
-Bthrow should be given a much higher angle and some pretty decent growth Basically... make it a reverse of the new uthrow with a slightly lower angle (leafgreen386)

General Stuff:

-Modifications to sword swing sounds ALONG with striking sounds
-Counter damage multiplier needs adjustment
-Flare blade needs a full charge recoil of 10%
-Taunt fixes--specifically down taunt, which is too...Marth exclusive (voice already taken care of)
-Change victory poses (possibly set them to either side taunt or up taunt?)
-Find a way to use PSA to adjust frame speeds

camelot

Smash Ace
I think "nearly half the damage" is an exaggeration. Uncharged it does 8% compared to 6% in Melee, and fully charged is the same 50%, although it does hit full charge after 4 seconds instead of 5 in Melee.

The problem is, I don't have a clue how to change the damage on it. It always starts at 8% damage no matter what I set it to, and it gains 5% damage every 30 frames (or every half second). The highest it can possibly charge up without being fully charged is 43%. I can change the knockback, though...

edit: Same deal with Counter, I can't figure out how to change the damage on it.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Saying I died would just about be the easiest way to describe why I've been gone so long. Frankly when I get the time to log into Smash Boards I head to the WBR to try and figure out what we have planned next. School starts next and I only have 15 credit hours this semester. I should be better off. That being said, until we learn to do effective frame changes with PSA, Ill probably only pop in and out of this topic to keep the OP updated, work with camelot on Roy's final touches, and post a text with the newest Nightly.

Until I learn PSA, what needs to be done is out of my reach.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Neutral B: Flare Blade
Up B: Blazer

Oh and we can't do speed mods of the animation by editing the scripts. That means we can't do speed mods with the current PSA.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Seriously once we get Model hacking in we will REALLY have Roy.
You guys did a **** good job.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
I think "nearly half the damage" is an exaggeration. Uncharged it does 8% compared to 6% in Melee, and fully charged is the same 50%, although it does hit full charge after 4 seconds instead of 5 in Melee.

The problem is, I don't have a clue how to change the damage on it. It always starts at 8% damage no matter what I set it to, and it gains 5% damage every 30 frames (or every half second). The highest it can possibly charge up without being fully charged is 43%. I can change the knockback, though...

edit: Same deal with Counter, I can't figure out how to change the damage on it.
Camelot, I was referring to Roy's up b lawl, not his flare blade

@GoG: Can you post the latest nightly text with the animation bug fix and Roy's frame speed changes? Would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Me too. :) can you put the ZSS css fix in there too?

It's like the css fixes for zss/samus v2.1 or something like that.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
i tried this Roy on normal Brawl, and it brought good memories from Melee, I'm loving it! Even thought Up B's kinda faster, and his B chargen animation is weird xD, why not change it to standing up as in melee? That's just my idea, also, I hate the fact you lose Marth over Roy, wouldn't there be a eay to clone Marth and replace it to Roy from the ISO or something? Or is it still impossible to add another CSS for Roy itself. ANyways, I'm hoping for this to be possible!

PS: Great job on that Roy!

EDIT: About Roy's nB charge.. Is it impossible to make it so Roy would damage himself when fully charged?

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Just a repost/reminder list for convenience. Updated List of things ta Doo:

Current .pac fixes:

-Possible blazer (up b) dmg reduction?
-Flare blade (neutral b) forward scoot while on ground--needs to go
-Uthrow--75 degree angle (leafgreen386)
-Bthrow should be given a much higher angle and some pretty decent growth Basically... make it a reverse of the new uthrow with a slightly lower angle (leafgreen386)

General Stuff:

-Modifications to sword swing sounds ALONG with striking sounds
-Counter damage multiplier needs adjustment
-Flare blade needs a full charge recoil of 10%
-Taunt fixes--specifically down taunt, which is too...Marth exclusive (voice already taken care of)
-Change victory poses (possibly set them to either side taunt or up taunt?)
-Find a way to use PSA to adjust frame speeds

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
i tried this Roy on normal Brawl, and it brought good memories from Melee, I'm loving it! Even thought Up B's kinda faster, and his B chargen animation is weird xD, why not change it to standing up as in melee? That's just my idea, also, I hate the fact you lose Marth over Roy, wouldn't there be a eay to clone Marth and replace it to Roy from the ISO or something? Or is it still impossible to add another CSS for Roy itself. ANyways, I'm hoping for this to be possible!

EDIT: About Roy's nB charge.. Is it impossible to make it so Roy would damage himself when fully charged?
@Camelot: Regarding the charge up animation for neutral b, we could try experimenting with victory poses as well. I know in one of the really, really old .pacs released by tsunami (before the Roys were combined), the charge ups for the smash attacks were super long and made use of either victory poses or taunts (can't remember which). I recall the charge up for the forward smash as being pretty cool.

If we could implement a sick, beastly victory pose charge (that's not girly/homo) for the neutral b charge animation, that would be rather awesome. The current charge now is okay, but it could definitely look cooler :D

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master

1. the charging animation is the best one they could find. Get over it. It's fine.

2. No, making another spot for him is not possible currently. They are working on it. Get over this as well.

3.We know it's possible, but they can't figure out how to make him damage himself lolz.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
1. the charging animation is the best one they could find. Get over it. It's fine.
If we could implement a sick, beastly victory pose charge (that's not girly/homo) for the neutral b charge animation, that would be rather awesome. The current charge now is okay, but it could definitely look cooler :D
The charging pose is good, but it could be better Symphonic, that's all I'm saying, heck, I'd be glad if it was as before, no needing to move, just standing still and charging, but that's just me.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
@Camelot: Regarding the charge up animation for neutral b, we could try experimenting with victory poses as well. I know in one of the really, really old .pacs released by tsunami (before the Roys were combined), the charge ups for the smash attacks were super long and made use of either victory poses or taunts (can't remember which). I recall the charge up for the forward smash as being pretty cool.

lol
that would look weird for charging a flare blade though
i added it in as a joke, since i was doing something similar to a different character i was working on :)

camelot

Smash Ace
Some more minor stuff. I made Blazer gain slightly less height, and do slightly less damage, and I changed d-air's spike hitbox around so it's more like Melee's (basically, they have to be right on top of Roy, or be on his back, to get hit by the spike).

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
lol tsunami, yeah i thought the charging in your old .pac was a bit funky XD, but seriously, the forward smash charge was kind of cool...still, you're probably right, it might look a little funny trying to use a victory pose for the neutral b charge animation hehe

@Camelot: Hey, I was just curious--have you tried experimenting with any sounds yet for the sword swings/strikes?

camelot

Smash Ace
Yes, I've tried adding heavy swing sounds like Link's sword... but it turns out those are character specific sounds. Go figure.

There aren't really any heavier sounding strikes, the strikes right now are "generic sword hit" which is what Link, Pit, Marth, etc. use for all of their strike sounds, too. Roy, Marth, Link, etc. also used "generic sword hit" in Melee, too, but the ones in Melee were more vicious. So I'd probably wait until sound effect hacks are possible... Kryal is working on it.

Of course, Ike also has his own striking sound effects. And they sound so much better :ohwell:

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
yeah, in melee it sounded like you were ripping the opponent's face off. In brawl it sounds like the swords are made of plastic. Lolz

timothyung

Smash Ace
You are playing PAL Brawl. The sound effects numbering is different from NTSC versions... This is a NTSC pac, so the voices won't play. It might be another character's voice, so when that other character isn't loaded, there is no voice

Xis66

Smash Cadet
I've noticed something.....Althoguh I give my respects to evereyone on this project (HUGE Roy Fan) and glad that anyone would even put this much time in my Fav char from Melee. Everyone has been trying to recreate Melee Roy, What about Brawl Roy though?

Even though I am in no way complaining but has anyone been thinkin of a Melee to Brawl "Buff" (but not Broken) Roy? I mean I also love to recreate something from something else using elaborate but limited tools and the sucess is satisfying! WHat would have happened if they never replaced "The Boy" and decided to add switch up and avoid ditto char makeing (like in Melee) what would Roy have now if any changes all? What do you say?

Tried V6 and I do like the 4th DED for Neutral B but like many others I feel the hit box is a little small/odd but this is "New Roy" and I DO like it. Also aside from obvious Win and taunt animations and sounds Is it possible to have his Up B more horizontal rising one of Roys advantages over Marth?
Great job so far.....
Bump by the way!

Colin Mitchell

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. I've been looking for how to use Roy for the past 2 hours, and I really can't find it. Sorry to ask here, but could someone link me or explain how to use him? I have an SD card and brawl + working, I have the texture itself working, I just can't figure out how to make the moves different. Again, really sorry to ask here, but I've been looking everywhere and I just can't find it.

camelot

Smash Ace
Colin, you need to rename the Roy .pac (not the texture) as FitMarth.pac and have it in the same folder as the textures.

Have you done that?

Top Bottom