• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
There is no crews!! Get that ugly word out of your smash vocab. I don't want people going around saying that. This is teams. And get off your high horse. Hopefully Oos will come. You will be locked into a character and can't counter pick(pikachu or ice-climbers, u decide).

And if you are going to 3-0 every team then it is meant to be. U don't see the UMvC3 pros not entering teams.

Also, I am not sure the format yet. This might be 2 stock 6 minutes for example. I have to create the perfect rules for this teams format. It is going to be something different. NOT CREWS or a BABY VERSION OF CREWS. I HATE CREWS!! lol

It's going to be very fun and fast paced. U just wait! People need to just give it a chance and not be stuck in the past.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
***** it is a 3 man crew, idgaf what you say. Just because you call it something different doesn't make it not crews. Just call it 3v3, makes it easier.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Nicca get on board son. It is 3v3 or 3v3 teams. Same thing. But it is not crews. It is NOT gonna be played the way crews is. Think more like traditional fighters teams.

For change to happen you sometimes need to let the old things go my friend. If you go around saying crews people will think "crews" will be played at the tourney. People need to understand that something new is being done!

The mouth is very powerful. If such an amazing and respected player such as Esam starts going around and saying good things about 3v3 teams, others will hop on board.
But if that same player goes around saying negative things and is like "it is the same as crews, just 3 people blah blah blah", people won't take it seriously. U get what I am saying.
I need u on board partna (Resident evil 5 Sheva voice).

We all got to work together. Team spacing

V1CE

Smash Champion
crews is...you keep paying till ur knocked out 3v3 in what mekos is rying to do is
you can have:

esam, Archer, mekos

vs

V1ce, Kadaj, stingers

Esam plays v1ce... Esam wins 1-0
Kadaj plays Archer... Kadaj wins 1-1 now
stingers plays mekos... Stingers wins 2-1 to V1CE, Kadaj, Stingers and they win the teams match...

So even tho you are esam you cant win just cause your 1 great payer... Everyone has to do there part.

I think good rules for this is best of 3 for each 1v1 i the team
2 stock 5 min each and a ledge grab limit of like 20 for all characters.

also bring smashballs back :troll:

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Nah Vice that is not how it is in traditional fighters.

Esam is right he could potentially knock out a whole team by himself
Go watch the CEO stream and watch the SF4 teams matches

But your right about the stock count and the timer. That is the main thing that will separate it from crews.
In crews your stocks don't reset with each match. In teams it will.
Your team loses when all teamates have lost a match.
In singles a it is best out of three. Teams is elimination.

Sorry guys this 3v3 teams format isn't an avenue for "non-pros" to win. Like a side tourney where people who didn't make it out of pools can enter. Not at all.
I will consider "special" rules when Oos is not coming tho. For example, 1 pr player allowed per team, top 4 pr'd players can't be on the same team, or whatever makes you guys more comfortable.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
So there won't be any melee 3v3's?

Take that melee players!

Nah jk.

But I do like this idea and the format behind it. The character lock idea is cool because not everyone can just run to mk and it be 3 mk's vs. 3 mk's.

Edit:Now when you say stuff about stocks clarify. For example, if Dr.Yogi had to play ESAM first and he took off 2 stocks from Eric, but still lost to and I decide to go next do I have to fight a pikachu with 1 stock or a pikachu with 3 stocks?

:phone:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
mekos how do crews showcase top players? how does your format resolve this?

why not have 4 or 5 person "teams?" why 3?

saying crews is "dumb" does not make you look good btw. you should be more respectful if you want to be taken seriously.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Sorry if I came off strong. People understood where I was coming from. I explained it in earlier posts pee pee. One guy said crews made sense when it was played by actual crews(and I agree with that)

I joined the tourney scene in 2010 and ALL i have seen for crews is EC vs WC. Or USA vs the World(or things similar). The top singles players are picked to represent. Other players aren't allowed to participate. They expect the common man to get hype and watch them. No one every cares to watch crews and most don't unless they are forced to(TO's turn off all other tv's). In teams EVERYONE is allowed to enter as long as they have a team. Crews imo has proven to be a past time event. It is time for something knew. It can't hurt to try.

I'm creating something more like traditional fighters. I'm pretty sure "teams" for traditional fighting games started in Japan and America now does it to. From what I have seen on American streams, they do 3v3 and that seems perfect. Matches don't take too long and it remains hype throughout the matches.

Yer right about the "respect" thing. I'll watch my language.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wouldn't the better "teams"(we need a new word for this lmao) still just get most of the playing time anyway? Honestly, crews could be brought back at any time but people don't feel as passionate about them now. Either your idea takes off or crews come back or another similar type of thing works out. I don't really care which happens but I'd really like to see it happen because it's an awesome thing to have for the game.

I agree about the time/hype restraints involving 3v3. Seems solid, but if there are more good people in one group/area then they will certainly feel left out. Some variation to this idea could be interesting.

And no problem @ the last part =)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i've always enjoyed watching FGC teams function. with that being said, at locals it doesn't work out very well i imagine, and really is something that tends to function best at the national scale, when you have things like Brokentier vs Col. CC and things of that sort. And until late bracket, it tends to be one person OCVing everyone until someone worthwhile shows up. I find the stock method of traditional smash to be useful in decreasing the idea of crews being wiped out by one player, because the method of FGC teams doesn't test the depth of one's crew, it simply tends to determine which crew has the best singular player. This to me is an unfortunate side effect of how traditional fighters score is kept through matches, because a team mate can come very close to taking out an opponent and it has no effect on the actual team battle.

/2cents

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Black Chris awesome input. But this is why I stated this earlier....

"Sorry guys this 3v3 teams format isn't an avenue for "non-pros" to win. Like a side tourney where people who didn't make it out of pools can enter. Not at all.
I will consider "special" rules when Oos is not coming tho. For example, 1 pr player allowed per team, top 4 pr'd players can't be on the same team, or whatever makes you guys more comfortable."

I also see your point and agree. I'll probably consider keeping the way stocks are handled in crews. I was just trying to get completely away from how crew battles are ran. But I guess it can't be helped that some things are similar.
I'm definitely right now feeling two stock battles tho.

@pee pee - I agree this can be something really amazing. I feel it! I'll come up with a ruleset and get yall's input.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
lol I think crews aren't coming back because after brawl happens or people are lazy there's not nearly enough time for a 5 on 5 crew battle.
also mekos I would not suggest that whole 1 pr per team thing, you said you were following traditional fighters, and you don't see the top marvel players getting split up lol

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
yea I know. That is what I was explaining to Esam. I was just offering a suggestion for if it was only local players who entered. This would be an incentive so that local players would not be scared to enter. No point in running the event if no one enters. U know. Another example was top 4 pr'd players can't be on the same team. If the first tourney gets good oos hype which I hope it will these suggestions will definitely not happen. NC needs to defend it's turf the best it can!

People would be happy to get a chance to team with Esam, the great Kadaj, or Waldorf!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I wasnt born here...y'all are on your own

If there was a True NC team what would it be? JD PP and Waldorf? idk who all was born here XD IIRC u were born in NY right mekos?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
lol u guys are complicating things. I just meant the people who currently live here. I currently live in NC because of college but could technically rep Ohio or KS. I was born in MI. Raised in OH(elementary/middle school) and currently my family is in KS(middles school/high school). My girlfriend goes to Columbia grad school in Harlem, NY. I go to visit her and enter smash tourneys in NJ. That is where yer confusion comes from Stingers.

The way the tourney will be ran is....
Doubles
3v3 Teams (will start when doubles is 3/4ths done)
30-40 minute dinner break (when 3v3 teams finishes)
Singles (immediately after the 30-40 minute break)

@Stingers - How come MD/VA sometimes has music on their PR front pg. We should have some tales music playing :)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
it really all depends on the scope of the event.

sometimes we don't even have enough people to make 2v2 teams worth it (local).

but with the proper scope, 3v3 teams can work. and i'm looking forward to attending an event large enough to make that happen.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
We can do it Black Chris. We need everyone's support. We can make NC a hub for smash. Esam will be here for another 3 years, PP just entered college in Greensboro, and I'm kinda known now. We gotta take advantage and make our scene the best we can. Smash 4 will probably come out in a year and a half(the tourney scene will explode then. Melee players, brawl players, and new comers will all try out the smash 4 tourney scene in the beginning). Also, Greensboro is basically the center of NC and the EC.

I wanna start a legit awesome tourney series that players across the US respect. I can do it with yalls help. What the local players will get out of it is that they will get a chance to play amazing players that decide to travel without having to travel far themselves. That comes with time tho and is simply a numbers game. If people support the tourney and we have great numbers, OOS players will be more willing to come.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
*shrug* i already ran a tournament that ended up being too successful for my own good in greensboro and that didn't even have any oos attendance. every time i think about hosting again, i also think about that 5 page paper on responsibility i had to write.

basically, it's very possible to get good attendance and hype, just make sure the venue is okay for both lmao.

also, i'm sure greensboro will be willing to help you with running things. myself and kevin are both interested in having a large event close to home i'm sure, and greensboro already has a ton of local players either way. should be good.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Mekos, I understand where you are coming from. However, as somebody stated, on a local scale it just doesn't work. There is normally one player who consistently beats the other players, hence making him the best. That would be me in NC when I'm there. I could literally team with the 2 little kids who came for doubles and win just because I wouldn't lose to anybody. I would literally sweep entire events.

However, on a national scale it works...but it is a lot of time and a huge commitment of people. Crews are one match, although they can take a long time. If a 3v3 tournament were to unfold, pretty much nothing else could happen simultaneously since 6 people are occupied during a 3v3 match, and multiple matches would be going on at the same time. It is a huge time commitment and, IMO, not worth it since people already know who the good players are. You might as well just have exhibition matches like "Nairo vs DEHF" randomly streamed.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
got shut down cause i did it in a dorm basement and we got too hype. everyone had to scatter because alcohol and things. vzakats roy was getting off, and we got scoped out by an RA who didn't approve even though it was a saturday night. ended up having to finish at someones apartment off campus, and it ran completely out of my control. they could've thrown me out of the dorm for it according to them, due to "gambling" and alcohol things, and the fact that i wasn't up front about the whole thing, but they just gave me a 5 page paper about responsibility and integrity.

i think we had over 20 entrants for melee only. i'll have to look up the getting in the green thread for full details.

edit: yeah fiz basically nailed it lmao. good times.

double edit: once our scene matures and we start having jobs, streaming some sort of salty suite at nationals should be a regular. it's SO entertaining to watch random high profile MMs on a stream somewhere.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
we used to have music in our thread too, but it only lasted like 1 go around before youtube embedding broke and I forgot about it.

but yeah tales music sounds like a good idea.

JD pick a good one for me

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Black Chris - Ah I see. Well this tourney will definitely have a venue. I am currently talking to business owners. Won't be a dorm or college building issue. Hopefully haha

@Esam - Esam I love you but you my friend are too results/facts based. Have a little faith(some people once believed whites and blacks would forever be segregated). With everyone's support it will go well. I don't think you understand the vision since u said have something like an exhibition match of Nairo vs Larry. It WILL work. Gain the WILL of Fire!!

And gosh I know you are cocky but get off your high horse. You don't even know the rules yet. I KNOW I can beat your pikachu in a 2 stock match with my lucas. I like teams and will definitely give 100% mental power while I play in it. Even you have never seen me give that mental strength in singles(Super Saiyan 4). And I am leaning toward the way crews manages stocks(they don't reset). Sorry buddy but me and Kadaj can both take ONE stock off of you(Remember it is 2 stocks). Calm down buddy. And please don't say you will just go ice-climbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOamABB9ED8

I've never lost to an ice-climbers except for you at the last tourney we played. We were going even pika vs lucas(friendlies) and during tourney u picked ice-climbers. This was extremely smart because I was not mentally prepared to play gay enuff to beat your ice-climbers. But playing 3v3 teams I will give the same determination that I do in doubles. I love being part of a team and working together

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You just said I would come back with both of my stocks, otherwise it is just 3v3 crews. The way the japanese do it is that they come back with all of their stocks, hence the reason people like 9b sweep the tournaments. If I don't get my stocks back, then it is just altered crews, and don't fool yourself otherwise.

Also, I've gotten significantly better over the summer, you wouldn't stand a chance. Hell, you can't even beat my Samus in a set.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Nicca the matchup chart is real. Samus vs lucas is hard.:urg: I'd rather play your pika

But you forget I'm a Saiyan I get stronger after every fight. Our last match lucas vs Samus was extremely close. I figured out the match but it was too late. And if you pick Samus in 3v3 teams we will just get Luckay :awesome:

But I'm proud of you man. You have gotten better. I admit that. Your a great player. But realize as you get better you will automatically make me better(I'll get stronger each battle) Good for our team I guess :)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if esam gets his stocks back, i think he would win just like it's singles.

if esam doesn't get his stocks back, then he'd have to team with kadaj and mekos just to keep chu/boss/logic/lie/etc from coming down and taking our money as they've been known to do.

but esam you do seem cocky. deservedly so though lol.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
lol Esam has always been cocky. He admits this.

I disagree. 2 stocks is different than 3 stocks. Seagall would beat m2k in a 2 stock 6 minute battle.

@Esam again - Hmmm that is why I kinda want to do it like the Japanese. I want people to get crews out of their mind. I admit it is altered crews but I still have the right to not call it crews...lol

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...?

do you say that because m2k goes super saiyan on his last stock? cause i figure he'd just look down on stock number 2 and be like "well i guess i should kill this wolf now" and then end things properly. while i do feel that 2 and 3 stocks are slightly different battles, unless things get influenced by SD or a strong gimp, the outcome shouldn't look starkly different...

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
But that is smash my friend. SD's and strong gimps are a regular.

And M2k doesn't go Super Saiyan on his last stock...if he is going to definitely win he starts playing around.
If he is losing or unsure if he is going to win, he starts playing really scared.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Smash is a mental game. With 2 stocks there is less time to alter your strategy and lose mental focus. At a recent tourney Seagull was slightly outplaying m2k. M2k just resulted to tornadoing and grabbing the ledge. The ledge grab limit was 35 and m2k grabbed the ledge 33 times. He barely won by a timeout.

The 2 stock battle will be organized in such a way that it will discourage timeout gayness and encourage aggro. M2k wins alot of his matches against fellow high level players(certain matchups) by out gaying them. With just two stocks and a low time limit the match will be over before people even get a chance to result to trying to timeout. It's hard for me to explain it but I sense it. I have the gift of hyper intuition/foresight. This helps me in doubles ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom