• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Alright, cool.

Back on the subject of competitive Pokemon, does anyone else have one of these?

If you do, let's play competitive Digimon using them. Now that's a real game.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
It's probably because they recognize items and some stages aren't good competitively, but don't want to have to disable those features for tournaments.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Now that I think about it, that's probably not correct. I mean, they disable items in Pokemon, so why wouldn't they do that in Melee/Brawl?

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
no I don't really compete in pokemon. it's too much to keep up with. but honestly, it's not overwhelming. there's a rather limited number of pokemon used in each generation. and there's only so many teams and strats. you can predict the movepool and other team members just by seeing how your opponent is currently playing. it's the guys who play unpredictably (i.e. creating a team that pulls from different tiers) that make it hard. but like waldort said no single strategy beats all other strategies. which has it's plus sides and it's downsides. it's like playing falco in smash. you have lots of great matchups and you're really good with him. you expect to go far. then your first two matches are a pikachu and an ice climbers. but it's even worse than that. with enough skill you stand to win those matches. but in pokemon, some strategies downright counter your strategy. you really have nothing in your arsenal that *should* work. usually you hope for a big mistake (which isn't likely to happen) or crits (i.e. luck) or perhaps you do have unique movesets that give you a fighting chance (but then that calls into question your team viability in the first place; how did you justify substituting move x that is good in 90% of cases for move y that really only aids you in this specific case right here?).

also, it is a very interesting point that nintendo supports competitive pokemon but not smash. I really can't think of a single justification so I'm perplexed to say the least. perhaps because pokemon is their biggest franchise, they try and milk it for all it's worth.....and that's why they turn to the tourney scene? but bear in mind, sakurai has been quoted that he is making this smash with competition in mind.

also, an update. wii u will probably not be on the market until the fourth quarter of this year (much later than th anticipated 2nd or 3rd quarter). and it's doubtful smash bros will be a release title, with estimates that it will be in production for at least the next year and a half.

but on a more important note: does anyone think this smash update will catch on competitively any time soon. the wii u's price point is estimated to be significantly higher than the wii's. We're looking at the ~$400 range, possibly ~$500. But another difficulty is that the wii had a price cap for it's games....$50. But with the significantly increased power of the system, we can expect games that deliver a lot more...at a lot higher price. Point is that smash bros all ways starts out at the price cap and stays at that price cap for nearly the entire life of that console generation.

Personally, I have no problem affording 400-500 for a system and 60-80 for a game. But from my experience with NC smash, I don't suspect that is the case for most people. Since I didn't come into the smash scene until late 09, I never saw what it was like when brawl first came out. Did the economic difficulties hinder the start of competitive brawl? Would it even be worth purchasing the system and game when they come out if my peers aren't going to have them for several months, possibly even a year after they come out?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Maaaan 400-500?

Anyway, smashers(any fighting game player really) seem to have a way of affording what they want to afford if they really have to. This is said regardless of current economic times, as spending on entertainment in general(and smash seems to be entertainment) didn't seem to slow down much since 09. Turnouts got smaller because of the way we ran(or didn't run), advertised(or didn't advertise) tourneys, not because of economic difficulties.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
I'm just concerned how a tourney could even happen. are people going to bring their mad expensive system to a tourney, knowing there is a chance (even a slim one) where it could get stolen or damaged. assuming that the wii u doesn't turn out to be compatible with the gamecube controller (it's only been confirmed to be not compatible with gamecube games, no word on peripherals yet), are people who do not own the system going to go out and buy a new controller to bring to tourneys that may or may not have enough systems to run the tourney?

i know at the time I entered competitive smash, the tourneys were having a hard time getting 3 or even 4 setups there. that's half the reason I started hosting and bought several systems...just so tourneys could be run efficiently and have plenty of time for friendlies. but now our community is much larger. do we expect to run into the same problem of only 3 or 4 setups per tourney with some tourneys topping 30 entrants? trying to run singles and doubles with 30 entrants is......well......ambitious. needless to say, there will never be time for friendlies.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If people want the tournament to run well, then they'll bring it.

I never thought that people wouldn't bring a setup on purpose. Everyone takes the risks together.

I suppose this will be something that the newer guys will need to be told.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
considering I've had 3 controllers stolen and 1 copy of brawl....I'm growing more and more weary of bringing my systems to tourneys. also, I've met 2 people in the community who have legit had their systems stolen at tourneys. I can say if I brought a $4-500 system to a tourney, I'd be guarding it like a hawk. there's thieves in the community. it's a sad fact. and it disincentives bringing systems.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'd bring a setup and record/stream it, assuming I get the new game. Considering how different Brawl was from Melee, there's really no way to tell what he's going to do with the next game, and I wouldn't buy it until I had a good idea what it was like. Who knows, he could go all PSO on us and make it a turn based card game,

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
considering I've had 3 controllers stolen and 1 copy of brawl....I'm growing more and more weary of bringing my systems to tourneys. also, I've met 2 people in the community who have legit had their systems stolen at tourneys. I can say if I brought a $4-500 system to a tourney, I'd be guarding it like a hawk. there's thieves in the community. it's a sad fact. and it disincentives bringing systems.
How did you lose 3 controllers? I've only ever heard of M2K pulling that off lol.

But the Brawl copy is more understandable. Maybe taping Wiis shut or chaining their systems to the table if they're so concerned about it being stolen would be decent ideas.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
no no no....understand i did not LOSE 3 controllers. I let someone borrow a controller from me at my first tourney I held. It was never returned. I don't even remember who I let borrow it. My second controller was placed on a table at a state tourney. When I returned from the bathroom, gone. My third controller was taken out of the bag of wiis I brought. These were not lost. They were stolen.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yo, I'm about to take the next step in my quest for Bowser supremacy.

All Bowser, All The Time, even in ****ty MUs (Friendlies, Side Tourneys, & Doubles are excluded). I don't care where I place anymore, because I want to be the best damn Bowser in the world. I know I have a long road ahead of me, even though I'm the current #4. I realize that I have a lot to work on.

So yeah, play as gay as you want against me. I need to master every MU in order to be the best Koopa King. Bring out your D3s, ICs, Warios, Snakes, Marths, Pikachus, Falcos, Diddys, Olimars, or anybody else that wants a piece of me. No mercy. :bowser:

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
the only time ur wolf fought my oli, i won. and it was on brinstar. and stigners came in the room and laughed at u.

but ur wolf beats all my other chars :(

except my mk :)

archer.

Smash Lord
LOL Sushi's Wolf.

I am actually very curious as to how much farther in bracket Sushi would have gotten at the last tournament if he hadn't left early.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
there is no such thing as a better oli in dittos.

every olimar player knows that.

and i know ur talking about dittos

cause ur from atlantic north

and all yall do is dittos.

normally of the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom