• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Vincent Vega

Smash Journeyman
Lol I don't really do the fancy upb stuff off the stage, I like just hogging the ledge and taking what I can get :p. It seems like I get punished realllly hard for fsmash too, just wd out of shield to grab is killin me lol. You should put up some vids of your Marth vs Sheik ^_^

Cort

Apple Head
The only Sheik I have to play is with Spawn, and I usually destroy him. PC is coming over tomorrow and I'm recording a buttload again.

TelQuel

Smash Cadet
I have seen many videos in which people like Cort use the dair to spike people off the stage with marth. He seems to be able to recover almost immediately and use his up + B attack to grab the side of the stage however when I try this I end up simply falling in the dair animation to my death. Is it because if you do not immediately hit someone with it it takes longer to recover from or is there a way to l-cancel even without touching any ground? Neither of those seems to be the case. Maybe it can only be used off the edge on certain stages and I am just not used to the timing.

I also wondered about chain throwing upwards with marth vs fox. I have been trying Marth's chain throws and I can successfully irritate my friends using his side chain throws but have not yet mastered the up throws. At what point should I grab again? Only use at low damage and get them just as they are starting to recover?

Cort

Apple Head
I was in that video too. That sandwich was probably the biggest sandwich I've ever attempted to eat.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Been playing Roy a bit lately (Red > Blue btw) and it's helped my Marth out more than playing anybody else ever did. The fact that I need to be so careful with Roy in my approach and move decisions helps my Marth overall. Red still > Blue though.

Anyways, an actual QUESTION. My friend (a bit better than me I'd say) usually changes characters every other match. He'll usually win the first, and then I'll come back with something to win the second. My issue is that... I can usually win if he's being aggressive, but the match gets a lot harder when he goes into a defensive style as well.

QUESTION HERE FOR LAZY PEOPLE

Details aside, as a general rule of thumb, is it better to wait for somebody to get impaitence with a defense game and come at you or change into an aggressive-type game instead? I'll normally keep my distance and fair / jab (slashjab>>) any projectiles until they get impaitent and run in.

Of course it all depends on the character I'm facing and I'll end up learning what works best against who in the situation but... yeah, as a rule of thumb.
Playing defensive and campy is generally more advantageous. I hate campy players and styles though and generally play an aggressive pressure game (camp in your face).

Erm, well, even though this is in the Marth forums, the thread tells you to ask stuff about... stuff, so imna ask a Fox question xD.

What the hell can you do against a Yoshi? Uthrow to Uair doesn't work well, as Yoshi can nair out really fast. And that darn invincible second jump stops most of my shinespike attempts. Usually I nair or drill -> shine then dash backkwards and to a RSHDL. Don't know if its the best thing to do really. Any tips?

And just so it IS a legitamate post, how would yoy go about approaching in Marth Dittos?
Pay attention to spacing. Don't jump into the ****.

Cactuar who is more bishounen out of the two of us and why?

Do we even classify as bishounen?

I have never thought of myself as such, but lately more and more smashers are calling me out on my long eyelashes and my large eyes, whatever the hell that means.

Should I be offended by this, since I always considered myself more traditionally handsome then bishounen?
You have the body of a 12 year old girl. You would be more bishi.

I only classify as bishi in the sense that my skin is incredibly soft and smooth.

You should be offended. You got dealt a girly hand in the grand scheme of chromosomes.

I have seen many videos in which people like Cort use the dair to spike people off the stage with marth. He seems to be able to recover almost immediately and use his up + B attack to grab the side of the stage however when I try this I end up simply falling in the dair animation to my death. Is it because if you do not immediately hit someone with it it takes longer to recover from or is there a way to l-cancel even without touching any ground? Neither of those seems to be the case. Maybe it can only be used off the edge on certain stages and I am just not used to the timing.

I also wondered about chain throwing upwards with marth vs fox. I have been trying Marth's chain throws and I can successfully irritate my friends using his side chain throws but have not yet mastered the up throws. At what point should I grab again? Only use at low damage and get them just as they are starting to recover?
I don't cg space animals with fthrow?

The timing for regrab isn't really complicated off the up throw. Just practice it.

Cactuar why are you so cool seriously?
I do drugs. And we all know that all the cool kids do drugs, then tell others not to.

Cactuar, how did that sandwich taste?
F-ing amazing. Best sandwich ever. And thickest.

hey Cactuar what tournies to plan to go to in the next months
Dunno really. Whatever people tell me to go to.

Levitas

the moon
Hey cactuar, come to U of Michigan for one of our biweeklies. We generally have a pretty good turn out, I mean Dope's come to like two and we've had Mikey Lenetia before.

Michigan's not too far of a drive, after all. (of course this is in response to the last question of the most recent round of questions).

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Michigan to... Germany? That happened to my best friend, he lives in Germany for 2 years. Now he can't speak a word of german.

Cactaur: How should I DI out of the "ken combo"? Also WTF is your sig?

princetoma

Smash Cadet
well i have a question my marth has got alot better and combo well. the thing is that i feel i need help on playing defensive a bit. and stop falling for the same trick. even tho i win most of my matches with friends and bro.

princetoma

Smash Cadet
my opinion is i pretty much agree with emblem lord they do seem to be eqal unless u really play against a good sheik. plus having a smart marth, sometimes sheik can **** marth. if the person plays at a high skill. one thing i hate with sheik is her cc.:(

technomancer

Smash Champion
I don't hate the above at all.

I think a shiek's max power level is capped at 9000
I think a master Marth or Fox's power level can be over 9000, but against a sheik I don't think Marth's body could take it

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I've been a fanboy of Mew2King ever since I can remember...

Cactuar, how can I reach M2K (who in turn plays marth so this post counts) in terms of like Phone Numbers or something.

Sincerely Mew2King's Biggest Fan,
Nintendoking.

P.S: Jason can't deny it, he wants my **** soooo bad it hurts.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Michigan to... Germany? That happened to my best friend, he lives in Germany for 2 years. Now he can't speak a word of german.

Well, I was born in germany, and then we moved to the US, and then we moved back because Americans are pricks. JK, I didn't want to move.

How hard is it to shieldgrab falco out of his pillar? Iirc, there's like a 3 frame timing to grab an ideal (typical) pillar. That combined with the fact that they can mix up their pillaring styles, how difficult/useful is it to learn to shieldgrab a falco?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
cactuar..
Why are u so awesome?
I am awesome because of my cactus-like nature. And because I won't hesitate to flirt with anyone that crosses my path. Watch out. I have Cactus seduction skillz. :laugh:

DI fairs away. His sig is a scene from American Psycho, one of the greatest films ever.
I love it when Cort answers questions for me.

well i have a question my marth has got alot better and combo well. the thing is that i feel i need help on playing defensive a bit. and stop falling for the same trick. even tho i win most of my matches with friends and bro.
The best defensive tools are dash dancing (putting pressure on while retreating) and crouch cancelling. CCing things makes you take a hit for like 10 damage and get a grab for it. Marth ***** with grabs.

emblem lord told me marth was the same as sheik on the tier list in how good they are what's ur opinion of this? Also marth dittos are random.
What's an Emblem Lord? I've never heard of it so it must not be that good at smash.

Marth dittos are amazing.

I don't hate the above at all.

I think a shiek's max power level is capped at 9000
I think a master Marth or Fox's power level can be over 9000, but against a sheik I don't think Marth's body could take it
This is incorrect. Sheik's power level remains at 9001 consistently, like the android's power levels. Marth and Fox can go above and beyond, but it is impossible to keep that kind of pace.

cactuar's not even that good
Who are you? I guess I could interpret this as "I want to mm cactus-face", so I will accept. :laugh:

Aesir, visit Scar's Grammar Corner, located conveniently in my signature!
Scar + Cactus = Impossibly complete source of knowledge for anything involving anything.

Cactuar, how can I reach M2K (who in turn plays marth so this post counts) in terms of like Phone Numbers or something.

Nintendoking.

I think his new sn is something like OOTittyLoverOO.

Well, I was born in germany, and then we moved to the US, and then we moved back because Americans are pricks. JK, I didn't want to move.

How hard is it to shieldgrab falco out of his pillar? Iirc, there's like a 3 frame timing to grab an ideal (typical) pillar. That combined with the fact that they can mix up their pillaring styles, how difficult/useful is it to learn to shieldgrab a falco?
I don't usually try to shieldgrab Falco out of the pillar unless they visibly messed up the dair timing on my shield. Shieldgrabbing Falco is not the best strategy.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
ok mr cactuar i think i have a decently ok technical fox not great but not like terrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdpn5mKIdpo

but i main marth and secondary fox, but like i always lose matches... is there anything i can practice with either character thats going to help me win matches considering i dont have anyone near by to play smash with... or am i just doomed to lose all my matches?

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i want to mm cactuar =). we got some friendlies in at SCC where you ***** me, but I got a lot better + it's hard to find a good Marth that challenges Sheik

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Cactuar, I was watching a video of you vs. Dave, at Evo East? I think Evo East. Anyways, basically it looked like you were fair camping, and at one point you were playing really defensive, and then all of a sudden you just started double fairing and attacking with fairs, and eventually ended up with an fsmash, due to dave missing his techs. I just wanted to know a little bit about fairs vs Sheik, cuz I've never seen another Marth play vs. Sheik like you do. That sounded gay, but you know what I mean.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord

Nintendoking.

lol thats so creepy

Vincent Vega

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh, actual Marth question!? Wtf do you against a pro laser camping Falco? It's never been a problem for me to get through Falcos lasers but lately I've been playing the best Falco in Socal and basically what he does is goes under a platform if available and just spams the **** out of it. If I try to jump over he ***** me. And if I space it perfectly I can get the dash attack in but it's tough. o_0

Top Bottom