• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Sleepy

Smash Ace
okay specific questions,

Marth vs Fox First:
1) What % can fox break chainthrow? I only know the old style PC Chris shine at around 20%?
2) What % after a uthrow is best to go for a tipper fsmash?
3) at around 70% is uthrow reverse fair > bair a worthwhile combo?
4) can the opponent always tech counters on firefox now? Or only if they're going into the stage? (ie. straight up assuming they run into the counter)

Marth vs Shiek:
1) What % is sheik not able to jump out after a uthrow?
2) If a sheik is throwing out tilts at marth's point blank, how do you get away, besides eating a combo? (assuming you're shielding, and the opponent knows proper tilt timings/spacing)
3) If sheik has charged needles, and you're not around a platform is it better to stay away from her diagonal needle range/in front of her?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I am sort of curious how you see things from your point of view. I'll just give an example of what I mean to explain that comment.

To me, the reason I keep losing is because I feel I keep making poor decisions or execution mistakes. For example, I'll CG fox/falco and drop the CG half way through or mess up my timing on an Uair. Likewise, I might Fsmash tipper at 40% fox/falco towards the inside of the stage rather than go for a continued Uair set-up into say a tipper ffmash to put them offstage (given appropriate bad DI) for the smart decision. Perhaps I have been incredibly passive in my attempt to push my opponent into a bad position, so instead I get pushed into a spot I cannot reasonably get out of without my opponent making a mistake. In short, I keep trying to improve to have a sort of flawless play. Sort of maximize everything I can guarantee in the game to the best of my ability.

However, as a frequent top 8 player what is your driving principle for improvement? Or to be worded differently--What things do you value that is required to improve as a player or be able to contend with other players of your caliber? As far as I can tell from playing Tennis and playing Smash, the person who makes the most least mistakes on their end is the biggest component to success. However, when you start to reach a pinnacle of other players I was wondering if there was anything else important that I had not considered.
You are flirting with a very dangerous philosophy my man. Playing for perfection is surely what governed my rise to the top initially(along with the desire for respect from others) but it's not something I would advocate now. Before I continue, I would like to note that playing optimally is encouraged no matter what motive you use to play the game. It is your deviations within optimal or mostly optimal play that are important to the discussion at hand.

There are two driving principles to my improvement: fun(love of the game) and learning. I still play to win, but that is test my skill and also see how much fun I can have while learning and competing with the best. The challenge should be exciting, not like taking a big exam(well the exam could be exciting too, but you get what I'm going for here hopefully haha.)

I could write a lot about this, but I will begin/end this discussion by saying that your view on competition, or your internal game, is very important to play in addition to your external game(frame data, CGs, etc.) If it feels overwhelming, you're doing it wrong. If it feels like work, you're doing it wrong. It should be a natural process, improving and competing. So when you're at the top, having all elements of your gameplay itself refined is highly ideal, we all need to work on that for sure! However, no one will win if they walk up worried about their reputation, or they feel like they're better than their opponent anyway. So I really like how on top of frames and efficiency you are. We need that and Melee needs that! Just do not forget to enjoy yourself and perhaps remember why you started playing along the way. It may open you up to new possibilities or faster improvement. It has for me. =)

lol I guess since you ended the discussion its time to move on.

Thought its nice to hear some insight on some player values. So much seems dedicated on "How to do XXX", or "What is better XXX or YYY". Something like why do you play the game is often times overlooked.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It can be a full discussion I just know it tends not to be, hence the "/" lol.

Internal game is very important and very different but extremely difficult for top players as well. It bears looking at always.

I'm starting to feel better from the antibiotics I have, so maybe this weekend or a bit later I will be writing a lot about what the switch was like for me over in my Falco thread. I invite everyone to go look =)

It can be a full discussion I just know it tends not to be, hence the "/" lol.

Internal game is very important and very different but extremely difficult for top players as well. It bears looking at always.

I'm starting to feel better from the antibiotics I have, so maybe this weekend or a bit later I will be writing a lot about what the switch was like for me over in my Falco thread. I invite everyone to go look =)
Well, I think you should start out by explaining what you meant by an inner and outer game more efficiently. From my point of view and your examples I would describe the internal as being things which refer to your mental state in regards to the game. lol What is "mental state" too. Well, I'll explain with some more examples. Principles you might hold which dictate the choices you make in regards to attending say smashfests or tournaments. Feelings or thoughts which affect you both during and outside of a match. Notions which guide the direction you make when you want to make some changes to yourself. These sort of things I would think of as the internal game at least for now. The external game which you mentioned from you examples makes me think of the physical aspects of one's performance with competition. How would you treat others both in and outside of a match. Your overall ability to execute things. Knowledge about the game and the people you are facing. That to me makes up the external game.

With the internal game in mind, I believe I recall noticing a number of traits about some people in the past. For myself, I believe I hit a plateau for a long time. At the time, I believed I knew the right direction which was trying to increase my efficiency with the game in general from decision making in neutral to maximized punish game. Although, it still seemed like a barrier was around. Took some time off and started to not care about competition anymore. Simply wanting to play my best since the game's pretty fun. Then, I noticed an overall improvement in my performance. Anyway, from other players I have meet I really notice some similar symptoms to what I was feeling awhile back. Many players I notice had really good performance would openly berate themselves about mistakes they made in the middle of a match. As I had continual matches with them I noticed what seemed to be self-destruction. Which ultimately lead to poorer performance as matches went on.

Now that I think about it I originally thought that a good match consisted of keeping stocks close or your relative dominance in a game. Now, I am thinking that a good match is more how efficiently you can work with the other player. As an analogy, playing a melee match seems a lot like a strategy game. Between each moment you cannot move either due to hitstun or in the middle of an action you take in information about the situation and make an execution of some move when you can move again. A good match is just how many of these small decisions you can successfully "win" over another player. Even if you do not get stocks for it. You could technically win a majority of a neutral ground interactions, but they might not simply be in ways to convert into large rewards. While your opponent simply gets the few wins to convert into large punishes. Either way, I think a good match was played.

RittJumper

Smash Rookie
Hey Dr peepee I'm a big fan of your marth and your psychological style. I'm a psych major as well and I used to play starcraft1 and poker competitively . I find that your approach to the game was quite similar to mine. It's just cool to know that I'm not the only one with this psych approach to the game. I studied all the top pro athletes and read multiple books related to sport psychology in order to find any competitive edges I could find. All that aside, I recently got into competitive melee using marth. and I'm wondering how do I study/take notes on my opponents? Do I just take notes on their strengths/weaknesses and then create a way to counter their style?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Very cool to find someone with a similar view to my own! Always a pleasure =)

The shortest, and most primitive, version of my video watching I can give to you is this: watch when they get hit. Use what happened right before the hit as clues. It really expands your understanding of matchups and players in snapshots and I find that incremental learning quite helpful.

Edit: Kadano, I'll reply to you hopefully this weekend after I sleep more. I've had a hard week lol so sorry for my weak reply to you initially. I'm waiting to give a better one.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Do you WD'OOS with two or one shield triggers? Do you have any thoughts on people starting out to use X or Y to jump for Marth/Falco? Do you multi-shine using the jump buttons or the control stick? Do you prefer White controllers?

Last edited:

RittJumper

Smash Rookie
Very cool to find someone with a similar view to my own! Always a pleasure =)

The shortest, and most primitive, version of my video watching I can give to you is this: watch when they get hit. Use what happened right before the hit as clues. It really expands your understanding of matchups and players in snapshots and I find that incremental learning quite helpful.
thanks for replying drpp. I watched all your marth games and my style is based on that. Another question is, how I'm I supposed to do the running dtilt I see you, m2k, ppu do? Do you guys just wavedash first then dtilt? that's what I've been doing. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right technique. Don't want to teach myself bad habits.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Do you WD'OOS with two or one shield triggers? Do you have any thoughts on people starting out to use X or Y to jump for Marth/Falco? Do you multi-shine using the jump buttons or the control stick? Do you prefer White controllers?
one trigger, but it's preference. jump button is preference, I prefer X but efficiency says Y, I would multi shine with the jump button if I could lol

white controllers are cool, other controllers are cool. they both feel similarly after breaking them in imo. white ones are just easier for me to find.

thanks for replying drpp. I watched all your marth games and my style is based on that. Another question is, how I'm I supposed to do the running dtilt I see you, m2k, ppu do? Do you guys just wavedash first then dtilt? that's what I've been doing. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right technique. Don't want to teach myself bad habits.
Depends on the situation, but we dash until it becomes a run and then immediately press down and A out of that(run cancel Dtilt.)

Sometimes we dash then WD then Dtilt. It just depends on how quickly you want the Dtilt out and where you want to position yourself.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Something I'm wondering, how helpful do you guys think it would be to carry a secondary to help refocus? That is to say, if it's one of those days where you can't tipper F-smash to save your life, do you find it helpful to just play another character for half an hour or so and then return to Marth?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well i know who i'm not playing marth vs falco against for a while lol. ether practice op; i'm going to have to wait till you forget

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Is an L-canceled, sour-spotted Fair into a Sword dance safe at low percentages? Which would be the best direction to sword dance and until which percentage do you think this would work, if it is indeed a viable approach?

When chain-grabbing and up-throwing space animals, is there a benefit to jump canceled grabs?

For dealing with shield pressure from aggressive Falcos, I usually wavedash OoS. Is this the best method to avoid being chipped away?

Is it possible to buffer a shield drop? or is it only possible to buffer a shield to pop up at the most left/right position?

Thank you for all your help! This thread is an amazing tool for aspiring smash players. Keep it up. :cool:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is an L-canceled, sour-spotted Fair into a Sword dance safe at low percentages? Which would be the best direction to sword dance and until which percentage do you think this would work, if it is indeed a viable approach?

When chain-grabbing and up-throwing space animals, is there a benefit to jump canceled grabs?

For dealing with shield pressure from aggressive Falcos, I usually wavedash OoS. Is this the best method to avoid being chipped away?

Is it possible to buffer a shield drop? or is it only possible to buffer a shield to pop up at the most left/right position?

Thank you for all your help! This thread is an amazing tool for aspiring smash players. Keep it up. :cool:
1. It depends.

2. The only purpose JCing your grab serves is to do a standing grab instead of a dash grab. If you are only turning around then JCing simply wastes a frame and input, but if you have to pivot grab, you may want to also input the JC in case you mistime it.

3. WD OoS is a good go-to option vs. shield pressure, but as with most things, it's situational. Watch top Marth players to see how they get out of pressure.

4. Shield drop inputs will buffer for 3 frames, so if you input it during the last 3 frames of landing lag or shield stun it will work.

Based on the second half of your question, it sounds like you are confusing shield drops with shield tilting/angling. You can hold-buffer any direction on the control stick and when you hold the trigger your shield will be tilted that way as soon as possible.

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Ah, shield drops only buffer for three frames? So strict! So to buffer a shield drop, during the last three frames of landing lag I should input down+shield? I feel that this would cause a spot dodge. Does the landing lag prevent a spot dodge from happening and skips right to a shield drop?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ah, shield drops only buffer for three frames? So strict! So to buffer a shield drop, during the last three frames of landing lag I should input down+shield? I feel that this would cause a spot dodge. Does the landing lag prevent a spot dodge from happening and skips right to a shield drop?
If you input down+shield, you will hold-buffer a downward-tilted shield. You still have to input the shield drop properly.

Eivysaur

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm having trouble with a Peach player and was wondering how to improve. I'll list a few troublesome situations I often find myself in. I've been playing to get better maybe 1-2 a week since December last year. So I have little knowledge about specific matchups and might not be aware of some fundamentals and clever tricks.

1. Off stage at mid-high %. Peach floats out with me and I have little chance of coming back unless I am lucky/clever with fastfalling and upB.

2. Sometimes I get hit onto a platform and have trouble getting down. Trying to jump off to safely gets me into situation 1 too often.

3. Peach dashes into my shield. I try to shield grab but get double jabbed. What can I do if I don't try to shield grab?

4. I usually edgeguard Peach by trying to read the float and a float canceled attack onto the stage but I don't feel very successful in doing this. Short hop fair is my goto attack. How can I improve when in this situation?

5. After a grab, is uthrow - > uair the best way to capitalize off the grab?

6. Which stage should I take Peach to when Yoshi's is banned? I prefer FoD, but so does Peach. I don't like the edges of BF.

Thanks for helping a scrub out! :)

Hi, I'm having trouble with a Peach player and was wondering how to improve. I'll list a few troublesome situations I often find myself in. I've been playing to get better maybe 1-2 a week since December last year. So I have little knowledge about specific matchups and might not be aware of some fundamentals and clever tricks.

1. Off stage at mid-high %. Peach floats out with me and I have little chance of coming back unless I am lucky/clever with fastfalling and upB.

2. Sometimes I get hit onto a platform and have trouble getting down. Trying to jump off to safely gets me into situation 1 too often.

3. Peach dashes into my shield. I try to shield grab but get double jabbed. What can I do if I don't try to shield grab?

4. I usually edgeguard Peach by trying to read the float and a float canceled attack onto the stage but I don't feel very successful in doing this. Short hop fair is my goto attack. How can I improve when in this situation?

5. After a grab, is uthrow - > uair the best way to capitalize off the grab?

6. Which stage should I take Peach to when Yoshi's is banned? I prefer FoD, but so does Peach. I don't like the edges of BF.

Thanks for helping a scrub out! :)
For 1 & 2, these are situations where you are disadvantaged to begin with. In those scenarios you do not have a guaranteed method to get out of everything. You sort of have to hope your opponent messes up. There are things you can do to minimize the damage done to you or things you can do to help mess up your opponent. Things like making sure you hit techs (sometimes not, seriously), DI'ing correctly, choice timing of SideB/Jump to stall, or how early or late you UpB to the ledge/stage/platform.

1) Offhand, I cannot say why peach floating out to you should be a problem. You have a sword which outranges her aerials. If you are sufficiently high enough in the air or have your 2nd jump you can Fair her away with proper timing/spacing. Turnips are things you really cannot do much about other than grabbing them (which is difficult and risky for failing).

2) Sometimes the best thing to do is to avoid getting placed on platforms such as DI to avoid them. Or picking the tech option which avoids you getting hit when on them. If you have the ability to move while on the platform, you can shield, and you could have an advantage while on them if you choose your options wisely. You can drop from shield while on the platform to immediately go into an aerial. So, if peach jumps up to attack your shield you can drop through the platform while in shield to hit her during the lag she might have. Otherwise, you can simply run off platforms to avoid her rather than jumping up higher. Oh, you can angle your shield as well to avoid poking through your shield.

3) Her dash attack is really slow. There is plenty of time to grab her before getting jabbed. Make sure you are not light shielding since light sheilding undergoes more stun time for yourself compared to full shielding. Maybe that is messing with your timing.

4) Think of making a read as betting. Its not always going to be successful. You can sometimes increase your odds of success by taking into account your opponents past actions. However, reacting to most scenarios will provide you the most consistent success once you get good at it. Peach will have to come back to the stage eventually. Rather than reach out to her by attacking from reads, keep yourself at a positions where you cannot get hit, but you can retaliate when she attacks you, air dodges, or the float runs out.

5) In general, Marth is pretty good above him while pretty much any character in the game is bad underneath them. So, yes. Uthrow is generally the best option compared to other throws. Now, I would say your follow-up directly after Uthrow depends. Sometimes doing Uthrow -> FH Uair Immediately gets you hurt after using Uair because your opponent's not in enough stun or knockback. Therefore, hitting with tippers or falling with Uair is preferred. There is some nuance with this and just best to experiment and play around with it to see for yourself.

6) I am not too certain about stages. I believe most stages are good for Marth except for Dreamland.

7) No scrub calling on yourself. Do not compare yourself to others. Even if you are starting out now or for awhile.. in months time you might be the best player in the scope of your community.

Eivysaur

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your input Xeylode, especially 7) :)
I know I need a lot of training on DI and tech landing. Btw, here is a video from saturday's event S@NG 3 (Trondheim, Norway):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bmRupUtN2Q

Sorry for the audio being really messed up, sounds like it was recorded in a swimming pool :p
Some obivous mistakes I see myself is excessive rolling and fsmash usage. I'd be happy if anyone would point out more mistakes/bad moves and/or suggest how I can improve :)

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone enlighten me on the use of dtilt in neutral game?

From what I understand is that dtilt is not really used as an actual approach but instead a zoning tool used to set up an area to where your opponent is forced to jump or telegraph an attack that can be easily reacted to and punish, putting themselves in a situation that is favorable to Marth. Aka making your opponent respect the dtilt without actually having to use it that much into react and grab or push them to the edge. And this is where you actually push for space instead of in neutral game.

Is this accurate? flawed? Both? Is there a post that someone can link me to that has already discussed this in depth?
Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

Hagakure623

Smash Rookie
How does marth incorporate platforms into his general movement game? From my understanding platforms are largely used to set up punishes since they can set up tilts/tippers/aerial combo things/tech-chase waveland, but is that all? I also understand that marth generally doesn't like being above, especially in some match ups, but do things like wavelanding onto/off of platforms have any use in the neutral?

Marth cannot do anything to people when he is on the platform and they are not approaching him. Not like what Ylink, Doc, or Sheik could try to do. However, you can push someone to approach you if you hold the percentage/stock lead. In the extreme case you are both not engaging at each other at all Marth could stay on a platform until the timer runs out and wins this way. Indirectly, he can force approaches. If you can get platform dropping while in shield with high consistency you can counter pretty much any aerial approach at you while in shield. Otherwise, your main focus is to just get down from the platform while they are going up, then take advantage of that. Otherwise, going to platforms I believe shouldn't be taken unless you are already cornered or trying to get over projectiles quickly without hindrance.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
How quickly can you D-tilt out of a dash? I'm trying to figure out the spacing for dash dance into D-tilt, but I'm not really sure what's the earliest I can crouch and D-tilt out of it.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
How quickly can you D-tilt out of a dash? I'm trying to figure out the spacing for dash dance into D-tilt, but I'm not really sure what's the earliest I can crouch and D-tilt out of it.
pretty sure you can only crouch -> dtilt when you enter your running animation, so it would be the moment you lose your dash dance

or you could pivot dtilt, which is a lot harder but would give you a lot more freedom to choose when to dtilt out of a dash dance

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i mean

i personally think shield-stopping is situationally useful for making fine-tuned adjustments in your spacing, but a lot of people overuse it nowadays without understanding how it limits a lot of your strongest choices cuz they try really hard to be pewpewu

i also think it's situationally useful for dealing with various options with short startup and long-ish cooldown (e.g. most dash attacks, marth's dtilt when you trick your opponent into misspacing it), but in order to use it like that, you need to restructure the way you think about shielding, i.e. you need to think of shield as an attack that works in specific cases, rather than thinking of it as a way to block.

mynameisdog4

Smash Apprentice
You can only crouch > attack after you start the looping running animation (so the same time you can no longer dash dance). If you want to dtilt in dash dance you need to learn how to pivot dtilt which is hard, or you need to wavedash in your dash dance then immediately dtilt.

Hughie

Smash Lad
Can someone explain to me the general playstyle to play against Jiggs? I really don't see much on the Jiggs/Marth matchup anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom