• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon video thread. (NEW UPDATE 7/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Finally have a capture card; posting a bunch of replays I have saved mostly for clips in them going into a combo vid. After I get the ones I have saved already (19 of them) uploaded I'll be uploading my better matches as I play them (the really good ones don't like to make the 3 minute mark). All of them are WiFi and many of them are too laggy for Hadoken edgehogging and other lag-unfriendly techniques, so sorry if we appear to be playing a bit slowly and not always getting a shield or a dodge in time. At the time of this posting I have like 3 or 4 up, and I will hopefully finish uploading the rest of those 19 in the next several hours (it takes like 1/2 hour each upload to Youtube). So anyways here's a link to my channel, and I'll edit this post once I have them all up.

My Youtube Channel

Make sure to click the "watch in high quality" button under the view count.

Edit 1: I'm going to finish uploading the ones I have captured tonight and save the other 7 for tommorrow.

Edit 2: The last one's uploading right now, please no comments on any of these as to how bad my opponent is.

Most of my future vids will be either ones against an opponent whom I have determined to be good and not laggy so I start recording at that point, or if I have a game that I wasn't already recording but I did something worth saving in it (and I'm able to save it).

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Alright, I played 10 matches against an Olimar I've played before (so I knew he was pretty good), and I recorded them all. Of course these arn't meant to make me look good, and I sure didn't do too well, but at least you guys might learn some stuff about fighting Olimar from them. Match # 1 got rejected as a duplicate somehow so I'm going to shave off a tiny bit of it and re-upload it tommorrow.

My YouTube Channel

Iwan

Smash Ace
Alright, I played 10 matches against an Olimar I've played before (so I knew he was pretty good), and I recorded them all. Of course these arn't meant to make me look good, and I sure didn't do too well, but at least you guys might learn some stuff about fighting Olimar from them. Match # 1 got rejected as a duplicate somehow so I'm going to shave off a tiny bit of it and re-upload it tommorrow.

My YouTube Channel
Bookmarked the page :). lol nice vids though....Olimar is such a ***** : /. His grab game is ridiculous, not to mention he's short which makes it one of Falcon's harder matchups.

At least his recovery sucks.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Bookmarked the page :). lol nice vids though....Olimar is such a ***** : /. His grab game is ridiculous, not to mention he's short which makes it one of Falcon's harder matchups.

At least his recovery sucks.
On some of my edgegaurds though he could have aerialed to get me off the edge and then used his up-B, which would have saved him.

Iwan

Smash Ace
On some of my edgegaurds though he could have aerialed to get me off the edge and then used his up-B, which would have saved him.
Oh, believe me...i wasn't saying there was much you could have done against an Olimar (a good looking one as well). I guess that's the main disadvantage Olimar has that came to mind.

You're a trooper for putting up videos against an Olimar dude.

Watched the other videos too though....very nice.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I'm uploading 10 more matches I just played (so based on previous rates they should all be up by around 5:30). I'm a bit rusty since I havn't played in a week, my opponent was IC 9/10 games and Pikachu the other one, and they were progressively laggier, so they are pretty ****ty but I feel unproductive if I don't upload matches (especially since I paid 50 bucks for the capture card) so I recorded them anyways. You probably shouldn't even watch them unless you want to pick apart the IC matchup, although you should pretend every time I get grabbed I die since this one needed improvement in the grabbing area (not to mention desynching).

My YouTube Channel

Wogrim

Smash Lord
26 Matches recorded this morning/early afternoon (I forgot to record a few of them so I played like 29 or 30). Most of them my opponent was Falcon, which means they're really more for entertainment since I can get away with different things vs a Falcon that would be a lot less safe against other characters, so I really don't learn much. Therefore I wouldn't recommend specifically watching any of the Falcon dittos except the 15th one against Falcon because there is a wierd knee hit at about 1:27 which was sort of like the tripping knee except I was at 117%. I don't really have time to look into it yet (although by the time it's up I might because there's a lot of vids being uploaded before it). The last match is also worth watching and the ending is good (the one on Hyrule, which I think was either an accidental pick or random by me).

Fortunately on all of these they had super low lag (at least for me). My time estimate for when they'll all be up is about 10 pm PST (California time).

My YouTube Channel

Wogrim

Smash Lord
In preparation for a "combo"/montage video, I've extracted all the best clips from my first 19 matches that I had saved on my Wii before I got a capture card. You'll probably enjoy it whether or not you've seen those matches and will probably enjoy it more than those matches. Please no comments about the music....

My YouTube Channel

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm not the best brawler and I do a lot of stupid things in matches, but if you guys are bored and feel like watching some matches:

YT Page
My Falcon Playlist

I just uploaded quite a few yesterday and I'll be putting up more today. Most of them are Falcon, but I do use a lot of other characters if you guys are interested in how I play. I also have all of my Character specific matches listed in my Playlists, so click "View All" to find the characters you want to see.

P.S:. It also has MOH for the Wii if any of you have that. :p

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Too many slow moves: Falcon Punch, DAir, Falcon Kick, FSmash
Not enough fast moves: NAir, Jabs
If you pick up your play speed you'll also be able to follow up Dash attacks, DTilts, and DThrows sometimes.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
In preparation for a "combo"/montage video, I've extracted all the best clips from my first 19 matches that I had saved on my Wii before I got a capture card. You'll probably enjoy it whether or not you've seen those matches and will probably enjoy it more than those matches. Please no comments about the music....

My YouTube Channel
Since some people apparently arn't appreciating it (I'm not sure if they're from these boards or not) I've added explanations for all of them in the video description. I encourage you to read through them if you don't understand why they worked, as you might learn a tactic or two to try. I'm also working on a similar thing based on my other matches that should be done either tonight or tommorrow (although they will probably be generally less epic since I recorded them in real time, not because of something I did in them).

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Too many slow moves: Falcon Punch, DAir, Falcon Kick, FSmash
Not enough fast moves: NAir, Jabs
If you pick up your play speed you'll also be able to follow up Dash attacks, DTilts, and DThrows sometimes.
Yeah I have a huge bad habit of using Kicks too much...Not sure why but I just like it as an approach and if it misses I can sometimes spot dodge and dtilt from there. As for the many PAWNCHes...well I always try because you never know when an opponent will be dumb enough to roll in the wrong direction and hit it. :p

I've been using jabs more, but Nairs...not so much. I always miss both hits even if I short hop them, and it leaves me open to get punished.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I might have part 3 (which will get me up to date with all my matches) of my "epic" footage series finished tonight. Some of the stuff I'm noticing with how my C. Falcon opponent played is leading me to include things about what NOT to do, and a couple tactics/move uses that should probably be used more often, as well as some matchup-specific stuff.

Edit: Sorry it's not done tonight. It's definately turning into a sort of moves and matchups thing that could complement my guide though.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Sorry this should have been up a couple hours ago but the descriptions was too long so it didn't upload. I have some tips that even the best of you all might learn from, so I'd recommend all Falcon mainers watch it. As per the usual, no comments about it not being epic or about the music.

It seems there's not a high quality version, perhaps since it's so long. The high quality button has magically appeared.

Epic Footage 3

Since the comments were so dang long I can't put them in the description as per the usual, so here they are; I suggest having 2 windows open so you can look back and forth between them

#01 At low percents opponents will sometimes fall into an USmash after DashA
#02 Opponents knocked down at the edge of the stage are pretty limited, so if you Falcon Punch from a little too far away they will often think they're going to get hit and roll into it. If you're closer to the edge the roll will go behind you
#03 A similar time to Falcon Punch is when someone reaches the ledge and you Falcon Punch. Make sure you're far enough away to not get hit by ledge attack, but will hit them if they try it, which they often will if they think you're jumping within it's range. Spaced properly, it will also catch ledge get-ups and ledge rolls most of the time
#04 By knowing your opponent's maximum range of his air moves assuming forward DI you can land a lot of FSmashes with it's leanback. For UTilt, when spaced well (especially with the shield pushback given here) UTilt keeps opponents at a range from which a roll is easily punished. It also works pretty well with DSmash
#05 Notice the odd hitbox on UTilt
#06 If you pull away on your followups your opponent will sometimes do silly stuff that you can punish
#07 Random Falcon Punches don't work, and it's sometimes better to let your opponent go for the first attack
#08 BAir seems very chainable at low percents, once again FSmash pwns if you know your opponent's aerial range, and don't Raptor Boost from that high up
#09 Jabs and FSmash are especially sexy on Kirby because of his short range
#10 Falcon Punch isn't very punishable if they shield because of shield pushback. Opponents who expect Falcon to be aggressive and meet them half way will get pwnd if you just wait patiently. Avoid that type of suicide by waiting to Falcon Dive so that it sweetspots
#11 Nice kill, but if it causes you a suicide at 0% and costs you the game, probably not worth it. Knee has a lot of lag after the sweetspot part, so it's not very safe below the stage if you're falling at full speed. Use DAir instead or use the Knee right after the second jump so you don't lose tons of vertical distance. UAir is also usually safer and better, which we will see later
#12 People NEVER expect shield pushback, so shield-grabbers will hate you if you do stuff like this
#13 It's a bit hard to hear the sound with the music, but he accidentally uses his second jump right away (you can tell by the way he curls up also). Using a move after such will often suicide you as is seen here. It's better to just recover right away if you accidentally do this (I recommend Raptor Boost for the potential meteor)
#14 More expectations of a non-existant followup getting punished, Falcon Kick being a non-approach, and the best part is the last part. The jump over them makes them do something, because if they stay there they can get stagespiked with BAir (if you want to do that though it's better to just dash off the stage and BAir immediately). Falcon's second jump curls him up over the ledge attack perfectly for a Knee, and if they ledge hop something instead you can punish similarly. Ledge jumps can be punished with UAir. I wouldn't recommend trying to punish ledge roll with Raptor Boost because you'll do the whole bounce/landing lag thing
#15 This Falcon Punch works because people often instinctually want to punish Falcon Punch quickly, so I space it so that the only move that will reach me that fast is aerial Kick, but I'm at an angle where it puts him right in the Punch; Kick is too slow
#16 Non-existant followup baits another punishable move, shield pushback confuses him as he thought I went through him so goes the wrong way to grab, and right between the arrows is perfect positioning to punish most ledgehopped aerials
#17 Standing at about the same spot also works great for punishing ledge attacks
#18 Don't use DAir like that, and no random Falcon Punches. Note the not-often seen reverse Falcon Dive knocking him offstage. Don't Falcon Dive from that close to the stage, since nonsweetspotting the ledge will get you killed (unless you're sure you're going to land it on someone)
#19 More random Falcon Punches; don't do that, seriously. Note how easily avoided aerial Kick is
#20 Note the first hit of DSmash hitting shield and the second hit landing. When you trip and your opponent is near enough to punish any getup, take advantage of invincibility frames. NAir is the best way to stop strong attacks when you're in the air because of it's double hit and no landing lag, so if it misses you havn't really lost anything. Refrain from using the Knee to try to punish startup lag
#21 First, note how I dodge the DashA but since I'm at the ledge it holds him there, so I get hit by the end of the move. Shielding would shield-pushback me off, so rolling is the only decent option against it. Therefore DashA is a pretty good move when your opponent is at the edge. Don't use your second jump straight towards the stage if you don't have to, because many players try to spike you during your second jump. Jumping away and Raptor Boosting punishes this tactic very well. For his second life, running off the stage and using his second jump to try to hit me is a very bad choice. Falcon Dive doesn't make it back onto the stage, so if you miss and your opponent grabs the edge, you're going to die. 3rd life: Another DSmash double hit (there was one in #20 with the first hit shielded). If someone is really close to you the first Kick will hit them (even when slightly behind you), and at low percents it hits them into the back kick. 31% damage with one move: sweet. The easiest way to catch an opponent in this is if you get them to try to roll behind you, do a DSmash when they're right in the middle of you. For the last part, notice how he grabs my foot during the DSmash(he still gets hit though). That's one of the problems with nondisjointed hitboxes
#22 Obvious approaches like that are easily countered using Falcon Dive (if they arn't going to attack they won't DI straight towards you like that). Then notice the early Knee hit setting up for an FSmash perfectly. It's not a trip knee and bad DI may have been a part of it, but non-sweetspotted Knees can set up for kill moves so it's sometimes worth it because you won't get massive landing lag when you miss.
#23 When people shield and you don't do a move right away, they will usually drop their shield pretty quickly (and sometimes roll away), which can be punished with Falcon Kick pretty well. Rarely will someone hold a shield more than 1/2 second. Notice the BAir comboing/chaining to grab (at 0% here). Then there's a roll after a shield that eats a Raptor Boost, and watch how obvious, avoidable and punishable aerial Kick is
#24 Like earlier, someone committed to an approach like that can be countered with Falcon Dive (assuming their move doesn't outprioritize it). Waiting for the right moment makes it latch on almost instantly. Also notice how he doesn't realize right away that he doesn't have his second jump back, which gives him a suicide
#25 DTilt chains to FSmash pretty well unless they jump away, and a Falcon Dive intercepts his landing
#26 Falcon Dive stagespike to Raptor Boost: an easy killer at low percents (higher percents kills with the Falcon Dive stagespike)
#27 Using his second jump offstage to try and get me: he can't even recover if I wasn't on the edge. First off use UAir because it easily kills offstage at those percents, and second it's better to just wait until your opponent is closer so you can actually recover if you miss
#28 The very top of UAir has some sort of sweetspot spike that rarely hits (you have to be spaced much farther apart than I usually am when I UAir), but it hits your opponent off at a tremendously sexy angle
#29 Falcon Diving that close to the stage doesn't sweetspot the ledge and will get you punished hard
#30 More running off the stage and using a second jump, only to miss and be unable to recover with someone on the ledge. Seriously don't do that
#31 My favorite new tactic for Falcon Punch: when your enemy is falling towards you from around full jump height, short hop towards them and reverse Falcon Punch in a manner tha passes underneath them, while they thought you wanted to go head to head with FAirs or something, so they attack while you go under them and end up getting hit. I'll call this the Backdoor Punch for now, and you'll see a couple more attempts in this vid
#32 Another great tactic for the Falcon Punch is just a straight up short hop when an enemy is using a move that will strike down where your feet were. It works great for DAirs like G&W's or aerial Falcon Kicks, where you know the angle at which they'll come in. I'll just call it a SH Punch for now, although I think it needs a cooler name
#33 The only weakness I've noticed in G&W's recovery: his aerials are way long and he can't use them to grab the edge with, so he's somewhat vulnerable if using an aerial will prevent him from making it back on the stage. Otherwise his up-B is top tier, and you'll see him use it all the time onstage instead of his second jump because he won't lose it if you knock him offstage
#34 Another spaced Punch that the opponent simply can't punish, even though he really wants to. Whenever you know your opponent's DI + attack range can't get you, go for it
#35 A G&W specific thing, Raptor Boost can hit G&W's head over his FAir. If you go straight into his FAir you will lose though, so be careful
#36 Backdoor Punch again. Sexy
#37 Notice how laggy his sausage is (har har har)
#38 I messed up on this Backdoor Punch but wanted to show it anyways, as I think it's a really great Falcon Punch tactic to try
#39 I used to think USmash sucked until I noticed this... It sucks him in or we have a wierd disjointed hitbox like Snake's UTilt or something. Backdoor Punch doesn't work if they're not coming towards you
#40 Surprising recoveries
#41 UTilt apparently ***** his DTilt, which is extra good because most G&W's seem to do 2 or more DTilts in a row when they do them
#42 Don't Raptor Boost recover into projectiles, as this really sucks

Ganon thing: yeah stuff like that keeps me from thinking he's an easy matchup, even though I won the match
Pillow360 thing: DThrow to run off the edge Knee; may not work on short opponents and was most likely escapable, but it sure killed me

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Sorry guys for slacking off but my sister is being a beoch and not letting me hold her laptop. im only able to post from my wii ATM.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
hey wogrim, can you record? if so, would you mind recording a replay i have of my falcon? me vs a friend's ganon where i win with 3 stocks left (complete with a 0% first stock kill with a knee combo :D)
i cant record it and not recording such footage is such a waste :S
(and btw, i have no sd, so leave your wii code and ill send you it, mine is: 4956 7255 6934 1430)
anyone else, whoever can record, lemme know please :O

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha.... that sucks though.
Nice videos wogrim. One thing i noticed though is that you stand still a lot? Tactic you use because falcon sucks at approaching or because it was Online and you didn't feel like risking aerial pursuit with lag?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Nice videos wogrim. One thing i noticed though is that you stand still a lot? Tactic you use because falcon sucks at approaching or because it was Online and you didn't feel like risking aerial pursuit with lag?
I stand still alot I think generally out of laziness :laugh:

Particularly in my recent videos, I stand still alot just since Falcon and G&W like to approach, and when they approach in the air FSmash usually does pretty well, which I can't do unless I'm standing still. People also do some really stupid things when they expect you to approach, like if they whiff an attack they sometimes will roll right into you because they were expecting some sort of punishment (like Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost, dash grab, dash attack). Empty crouches are sometimes really useful in getting them to do silly stuff like that (if the opponent is standing around also, an empty crouch will sometimes make them think you're approaching). On any opponent with a decent projectile (as in not G&W's) I obviously can't stand around.

For aerial pursuit, most of the time my UAirs get airdodged so I often just let them come back at me. In my experience when I don't followup, instead of cutting their losses and getting back to the ground enemies will often DI right towards me for a pitifully obvious aerial approach. It's like they think they're going to punish me for not keeping the pressure on or something, I don't know. Most of the time it ends up with them taking a Smash or something more powerful than my typical aerial followup.

young wus

Smash Journeyman
Your video's suck

Man ur video's suck....... do u even play Captain Falcon??? Do me a favor and dont post anymore C-Falon video's unless u get good wit him, cause u make Captain Falcon look so bad!!!!
PS: ness...... u need 2 step up ur game cause wit a C-Falcon playing like that u should **** him!

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Man ur video's suck....... do u even play Captain Falcon??? Do me a favor and dont post anymore C-Falon video's unless u get good wit him, cause u make Captain Falcon look so bad!!!!
PS: ness...... u need 2 step up ur game cause wit a C-Falcon playing like that u should **** him!
yeah it's not like Wogrim to play agressive and fast, which is cool cause safe damage is necessary in tournies, if your looking for epic sh*t just wait for my vids, im constantly on offense somtimes it's my own weakness but w/e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom