• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Bizarro looks like he's sandbagging prettty hard haha

I think the main thing is that he's just better than you at the moment, which is nothing to be ashamed of really ... but there are a few things you can take away from this set to try and improve on

You don't really punish any of the aerials he throws out with dashdance grab, nor do you really exert much pressure with your dashdance
Basically you let him dictate the pace when he's a lot faster than you ... the entire set it looks like you're just trying to get the hell away from him but he just keeps tapping you with random Nairs and stuff

When you do manage to get position on him you don't stay on him closely enough to make him feel pressured
Example at 2:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bUM08aeOr98#t=122s

You hit him with a Nair but he techs in place and you wavedash back to center ... you're so far away that he has time to put up his shield, and then drop it (before attempting some stupid aerial side b, but that's besides the point)
As you get better you can't afford to throw away free pressure situations like that, space closer and get in his face and then you can start going for things like reading rolls / jumps when he has to respect you actually doing something to him

You never really hold down on Nairs so they often lift you -> grab techchase ... that applies for basically every weak aerial you get hit by, learn how to hold down to minimize followup potential and this will give you more openings to escape back into neutral game

When edgeguarding Falcon, try to meet his up-b before he starts falling to limit how much he can trick you and don't be afraid to just Uair him off if you feel like you'll miss the knee
If you see that he can make it back using his double jump, be comfortable stealing ledge when he attempts a doublejump sweetspot. Falcon has no stalls like Marth side-b so you get a free attempt to punish his up-b

stuff about Nair in Falcon dittos

Learn Falcon's Nair spacing and try to never be caught at the awkward distance where you're too close to him to dashdance grab it but too far from him to do some kind of CC punish / pressure him in some way that prevents him from Nairing

Nair is a very strange move in Falcon dittos in that the first person who attempts an aerial will often get stuffed by an opposing Nair ... including Nair itself because you can just kick him in the junk between the hitboxes

The reason why mono Nairs isn't the best is that it's extremely vulnerable to getting CCed and isn't great on shield, plus it's also prone to getting dashdance grabbed if the opposing Falcon happens to be dashing away from you when you start your jump

IMO the best use for Nair in the matchup is pivot Nairing your opponents aerials if you're caught at the wrong distance and can't dashdance grab

*edit*
dunno why it made the first 2 lines big that's weird

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
As always, thanks for the help Wenbo

And **** bizarro, I'll get him next time >:[

(hopefully, anyway haha)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Advocating awareness is a universally helpful thing, considering awareness is universally helpful. ;)

I was summoned on various occasions to join the boards again, and heard Oksas plays Melee Falcon, so I came here to say hi. Watched the set with SK too.
Cool stuff, keep up the work with awareness and you'll continue to catch exactly what you need to catch. It will always translate into better play and... essentially better everything you can ever do.

Thanks to you too for being there for people, Wenbobular.

Good, good.
Continue.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I watched for approximately 1 minute

It looks like you are literally doing moves and hoping your opponent runs into them

I mean that also looks like what the Falco is doing too but he has lasers is Falco

You should like ... learn how to hit them
Then learn how to be fast and implement stuff like wavelands into your game

I watched the rest of it and didn't really see and decisions that I liked
Or I should say ... it looks like you're not making decisions at all

Watch your opponent, do things that might hit him ... one time I think you literally just did a Nair in the opposite direction when he was too far to even roll into it ... ???
When you're edgeguarding, watch him and think about what options he has .... I don't think you picked an option that made sense that game

That's all I have to say
Not trying to be mean, but I think you should learn the basics before trying to implement things

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very good, so I can't offer much insight, but Wenbo is right that you should work on the basics. Your tech chases are impatient and greedy.. try to go for more reactions, especially against Falco, where his tech roll isn't as good as some others and you need to make the best of every opening. Try to punish harder, especially with regards to ledge guarding, where you let him back on for free quite a lot. No specific advice for the ledge guarding, just try to focus on improving that and figure it out. The nair at 1:40 when he whiffs a forward smash is really really bad. Do a better punish like a grab, knee, or stomp.

Zhea

Smash Ace
So hey I finally got a mediocre streaming setup and played some friendlies with Clnr(San Antonio's resident active Falco main) and would appreciate feed back, especially against his falco.

http://www.twitch.tv/zheamourth/b/382391674

Marth
3:38:34 - 3:56:46

Falco:
3:56:47 - 4:16:11

There are definitely a ton more games than these, but I feel these ones are my more middle of the road matches and show what my average is against his characters. If you would prefer to review other parts I am still down for that.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Watched 3/4 of the Fountain match, here's some starters for now

You're too slow out of your aerials to really do them and be safe ... one time you landed a Uair on him and he hit you without even CCing it
So part of this is techskill, the other part is you're not using your toolbox effectively
If you're not very good at aerials, try just dashdancing more

It also looks like you're just not used to a lot of common situations and don't react nearly fast enough to get out of pressure / janky attempted followups like Fsmashing the air

Look for where you just pause for a good halfsecond sometimes where it looks like you're just totally bewildered

In line with this is sitting in shield when he shoots you with a laser from too far to punish; laser has no stun so you should never take two advancing lasers in a row without doing something in between them regardless of whether or not you're shield or dashdancing
Wavedash OoS is basically your best friend in this regard

And once again I feel like I should stress this - watch your videos again and look for any significant pauses in neutral game and try to identify what your options are and how you could react

Zhea

Smash Ace
Watched 3/4 of the Fountain match, here's some starters for now

You're too slow out of your aerials to really do them and be safe ... one time you landed a Uair on him and he hit you without even CCing it
So part of this is techskill, the other part is you're not using your toolbox effectively
If you're not very good at aerials, try just dashdancing more

It also looks like you're just not used to a lot of common situations and don't react nearly fast enough to get out of pressure / janky attempted followups like Fsmashing the air

Look for where you just pause for a good halfsecond sometimes where it looks like you're just totally bewildered

In line with this is sitting in shield when he shoots you with a laser from too far to punish; laser has no stun so you should never take two advancing lasers in a row without doing something in between them regardless of whether or not you're shield or dashdancing
Wavedash OoS is basically your best friend in this regard

And once again I feel like I should stress this - watch your videos again and look for any significant pauses in neutral game and try to identify what your options are and how you could react
Thanks Wenbo, I think it would have taken me awhile to catch that slowness with aerials. I took me a few watch throughs to catch what you meant, but then looking through the rest of the games you were right. I do have one question thought, when I am on the platforms and falco is lasering under one of the far ones, what do I do? I think that's part of the reason I hang down there so often (well that and trying to learn how to power shield), is because Once I shield and jump onto those platforms I have no Idea how to approach him when he is sitting under one.

gravy

Smash Ace
It's tough to approach a falco hiding under a platform because you can't really approach from above him, you either have to use the top platform to approach at an angle, or jump over his lasers and choke his space so he can't get another one out. An important aspect of this is actually making him afraid to laser, you have to condition him to do what you want or you can't win. A good punish for a laser is instant uair, since if he tries to jump it's even easier to hit him with it, and it always puts you in a good situation. You can also try to nair him as he's about to jump. But either way, you have to stay close enough to make him feel afraid, you still have better range and movement than he does, it's all about actually utilizing it.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
your aerials and movement are still pretty awkward. i remember you did like a double jump dair but timed the fastfall and the dair wrong so you fell in front of fox's shield before the dair even came out. your wavelands got better as the matches went on. having said that, it seems like you don't really know how to use your movement yet, cuz it feels like you paused in certain really awkward situations where you could exert pressure or advance, but started moving when you really didn't need to.

as far as tech chases and grab combos go on fox, well, here's how i see it. uthrow lets you cover any tech roll with ease. uthrow -> wait for tech -> follow. reacting to tech in place though is really flipping hard. dthrow, however, is a bit easier to cover tech in place, especially if they DI away. if they tech roll out though while you're trying to cover tech in place, it's a lost tech. note that the closer you are to the edge though, the less space they have to tech roll, so stage positioning also plays a big role in all this.

don't randomly dashdance around after you throw them. if you're going to dashdance, think about what options you're trying to cover or what you're trying to bait. in general, it's not great for tech-chasing imo. if you feel like you're going to miss the follow-up on the tech though, you can dash-dance around their wakeup options and see if they'll commit to anything stupid. this generally only works after you've shaken them up quite a bit though.
just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it all.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I have a vid you guys can critique... I am seriously trying to become a respected contendor.
And yes the inactivity of Hax and S2J is troubling since they are the front runners for showing what knees can do with intelligence applied.
Scar not being here is almost eery.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sIrQlgolUo

p.s. I am better now.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I have a vid you guys can critique... I am seriously trying to become a respected contendor.​
And yes the inactivity of Hax and S2J is troubling since they are the front runners for showing what knees can do with intelligence applied.​
Scar not being here is almost eery.​
p.s. I am better now.

UThrow is way better vs Sheik above like 30% (whatever % combos into Uair)
Stop jumping out of shield every time you get caught a lot by Ftilts
I don't think you really understand the Falcon combo tree very well and you're just doing a bunch of aerials ... think about what you're going for when you start an aerial and you'll be better at hitting followups

I feel like you're also passing up opportunities to grab / space whenever you do some defensive backwards Nair, which basically beats nothing really
If you want to do defensive aerials, stomp is a much better defensive aerial because it will jump over dash attack and will actually lead to easy knees

Overall you don't pause too obviously looking clueless, but I also don't really like your decision making in general in terms of when you choose to aerial a lot of the time
There are times where you do some decent aerials into Sheik's dashdance, but there are also a lot of times where you just don't try attacking her

One example is at 13:05 when she does a DJ Bair super high for no reason ... and you shuffle a Uair
Just kinda shows you're not paying attention to your opponent I think

@bert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qKVtx-9_P38#t=90s
Example of time where I just have no idea what you're trying to beat here
Stomp in place beats approximately 0 options that G&W would reasonably try there unless you think he's trying to run up dash attack / grab or something crazy but you do nothing to entice him to do either

Also 100% of the random Uairs you did when he wasn't really jumping or above you in any way, or he was on a platform and you just did a Uair that wasn't anywhere close to him

You should try aiming moves at him perhaps
If you're trying to predict movement there will be times where you look kinda dumb when you miss, but I don't really think you were trying to predict anything and just wanted to do aerials

Do less of them and try to make the ones you do count

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Looking to pick up a CF secondary against Peach and maybe some others. Only got one game recorded so far, but any feedback is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v4E38BVpmhY#t=229s

Hi Wenbo!
it's not the quickest looking falcon, but it was looking pretty solid, especially early into the match

when you got the lead, i thought you coulda done a better job of holding it. peach should get pretty antsy when they don't have the lead, and against falcon, if you play safe, they shouldn't be able to kill you for a while. Remember DI up against nair/bair edgeguards and you'll live to ridiculous percents

look for more grabs on peach. at above 50%, i start looking for dthrow -> knee. this can work well into the 100% range, just variable DI means you'll have to look for what DI to hit. if they DI far away, but offstage, you can go for a deep knee and kill her and immediately jump back and up-B to recover. this DI is almost always a kill, because usually they are super close to the blastzone and probably still holding a really ****ty direction for survival. DI high up, you need a straight SH, FH, or quick double jump depending on percent. DI diagonal is usually a pretty easy SH or FH knee.

uthrow can be good at low percents for setting up uairs. i usually go for it around 10-20% and try to do FH uair -> falling uair.

IMO playing against Peach and winning is about not getting hit by her and not getting the bad end of a trade. know what hitboxes she can throw out at any given moment and think about how to cover, bait, or not get hit by something from her. you got hit by a lot of Peach fairs, and that's pretty bad news for any falcon main. either run away and don't challenge it or stuff it before it even comes out, but make the decision fast.
falcon's movement is one of the biggest advantages he has over peach, abuse it to avoid her dumb **** and get grabs. it's really good.

(after scanning through game 3) or stick with Samus. pretty solid stuff.

Amaya

Smash Rookie
Please critique my falcon! matches start at 1:20:00 and onwards. (Jeff) some games were vs Kage. Hopefully some of you can point out alot my my mistakes or what i'm doing less of, and how I can better approach in the spacie match up. Thanks!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfmmp8Go9Ls

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Vids from me at KoC2 are out!! Please watch and critique, and be as brutal as inhumanly possible, because reviewing my own gameplay, I have so much work that needs to be done lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDZZWc64qs vs. SHROOMED. Holy **** this was a fun set. Shroomed pretty much did whatever he felt like outside of my shield and got away with it. Still practicing wavedashes/aerials OOS. Hopefully won't suck at it next time I play someone. I also still need work on my anti-combo DI from what I can tell. Don't think any survivial DI helps me much against Doc's bair anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicezY2zWYs vs. GEM. Holy **** this was NOT a fun set. Gem completely scared the sht out of me when he tippered me, and I honestly think I played pretty subpar here (-*insert ****ing johns RIGHT HERE*--).Didn't space well against Marth and did stupid desperation stuff in situations where I wasn't even really under pressure (saw a few random rolls and ugly side-B's...someone plz kill me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYLOCeZdBM vs. PIKAZOO. Strange set. Falcon dittos. A matchup I dislike, but am getting better at, slowly but surely. One heartbreaking moment in this set. If you watch, you'll know what I mean.

Despite me being negative about my gameplay, I had boatloads of fun at this tourney. Pretty sure some of my sets from day 2 will be uploaded too. When they come, I'll update to include those too.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@Amaya - I don't hate it, you do need to get more solid decision making in terms of not burning your double jump when they're standing there clearing baiting something and having more KILLER INSTINCT
By that I mean you drop punishes because you either choose an option too wimpy for the situation or you give up advantageous positioning when you have it (honestly I just wanted to say killer instinct)

If you have a platform techchase, wimpy Uair below the platform at 40 is not going to get you anything vs competent opponents but it's a perfect time to try to set up stomps that cover multiple options and we all know how good techchase stomp is at setting up kills

Capitalizing on advantageous positioning is a matter of knowing your opponent's range and options - edgeguards, slightly slow reactions on techchases, your opponent shielding - examples of when you can abuse your opponent if you keep his options in mind, choose properly and execute

You also played pretty good in those Yoshi's games so good job ~_~ (unless that wasn't you)

If you have a set vs a space animal you want critique on, link the time

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@Amaya - I don't hate it, you do need to get more solid decision making in terms of not burning your double jump when they're standing there clearing baiting something and having more KILLER INSTINCT
By that I mean you drop punishes because you either choose an option too wimpy for the situation or you give up advantageous positioning when you have it (honestly I just wanted to say killer instinct)

If you have a platform techchase, wimpy Uair below the platform at 40 is not going to get you anything vs competent opponents but it's a perfect time to try to set up stomps that cover multiple options and we all know how good techchase stomp is at setting up kills

Capitalizing on advantageous positioning is a matter of knowing your opponent's range and options - edgeguards, slightly slow reactions on techchases, your opponent shielding - examples of when you can abuse your opponent if you keep his options in mind, choose properly and execute

You also played pretty good in those Yoshi's games so good job ~_~ (unless that wasn't you)

If you have a set vs a space animal you want critique on, link the time
One thing I'm reminded of as I move on to Ziodyne - stop jabbing in your combos (this applies to Ziodyne too) when you have a followup
It's really important that you just grab instead of jabbing if you can because every character can escape with CC -> something

Also Nair is not a very good move to do in neutral unless you're really trying to turbo someone down (it's pretty good at stuffing Ganon's aerials I'll admit)
If you're not actively trying to catch someone jumping you should probably just overshoot knee instead of Nair

Incoming accidental quad post - I'll finish Ziodyne later tonight hopefully

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Vids from me at KoC2 are out!! Please watch and critique, and be as brutal as inhumanly possible, because reviewing my own gameplay, I have so much work that needs to be done lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDZZWc64qs vs. SHROOMED. Holy **** this was a fun set. Shroomed pretty much did whatever he felt like outside of my shield and got away with it. Still practicing wavedashes/aerials OOS. Hopefully won't suck at it next time I play someone. I also still need work on my anti-combo DI from what I can tell. Don't think any survivial DI helps me much against Doc's bair anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicezY2zWYs vs. GEM. Holy **** this was NOT a fun set. Gem completely scared the sht out of me when he tippered me, and I honestly think I played pretty subpar here (-*insert ****ing johns RIGHT HERE*--).Didn't space well against Marth and did stupid desperation stuff in situations where I wasn't even really under pressure (saw a few random rolls and ugly side-B's...someone plz kill me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYLOCeZdBM vs. PIKAZOO. Strange set. Falcon dittos. A matchup I dislike, but am getting better at, slowly but surely. One heartbreaking moment in this set. If you watch, you'll know what I mean.

Despite me being negative about my gameplay, I had boatloads of fun at this tourney. Pretty sure some of my sets from day 2 will be uploaded too. When they come, I'll update to include those too.
I only watched the Falcon ditto because that's my best matchup. There were a lot of small things that could use improvement, but I don't have too much to say. One thing is that you should try to tech chase more. Regrabs are amazing in falcon dittos because his tech is so ****ty you can almost always follow him and regrab. You didn't get too many grabs and didn't make a lot of them. The other thing which was really glaring to me is that you don't edge guard well. Here are some rules of thumb for edge guarding in this matchup. Ledge guard with knee. If he doesn't have a good angle for getting back, don't waste time with bair or uair. Just knee him. If his angle is harder to hit, just use utilt--it's easy as hell. This would be good for you because you liked to stand at the edge a lot. bair is easy to hit as well, but knee is usually better. Grabbing the ledge and using ledge hop stomp --> knee or just ledgehop reverse knee is good. Stop wasting time trying to reverse uair him, it's ****ty in this matchup, and you missed it most of the time, hitting him back on the stage.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $

How long have you been playing? All things considered you looked pretty well for someone new, like myself.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Not really that new, just that this account was made fairly recently.

I'd say I've been playing seriously for a year or so now, so I'm not really that new.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
oh, haha well that just means I should expect to play longer before getting good. Darn you were almost really motivational
haha, sorry to burst your bubble! personally, it would've been demoralizing to know someone was naturally talented enough to just quickly and naturally get good at the game, and to find out that person isn't me

Bu$

HoC
Hey guys looking for feedback on my falcon, I'm pretty horrid at the game i know but just wanted to know what things i should be trying to work on during practise. Btw this crew battle is the only footage i have myself playing so hopefully i will get more at a later stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZHbRXxzdSM My first match is at 26:55 and i'm the white falcon with the BuS tag. My movement and FF'ing most of my aerials have gotten better since then.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'd really appreciate some feedback. I just decided to start maining (sort of...) falcon recently and I'd like to get all of my stupid habits knocked out of me as soon as possible. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxw3HbjpZ4
Jose Ole is the name of the guy I was playing
Also, excuse Alex Strife talkin about stuff, he didn't think it was a tournament match.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'd really appreciate some feedback. I just decided to start maining (sort of...) falcon recently and I'd like to get all of my stupid habits knocked out of me as soon as possible. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxw3HbjpZ4
Jose Ole is the name of the guy I was playing
Also, excuse Alex Strife talkin about stuff, he didn't think it was a tournament match.
Ok assuming this was a tournament match aka serious business.

1. don't just randomly guess a tech after you get a grab at the beginning of a set!!!! you have absolutely NO IDEA what your opponents tech patterns are like. TECH CHASE REGRAB. Against good players you will have hard time reading but tech chase regrabbing gives you a chance to try to pick up some patterns and everyone has patterns once they are in panic. Tech chase regrab is also a great way to break up an opponent's momentum.

2. when an opponent is lying on the ground from not teching (or missed tech), don't just jump in with a careless attack to try to hit him. you are at an advantage when they are lying down. wait. be patient you can punish anything they do if you go second. but if you jump in first, they're just gonna roll, get up attack, or w/e. You can try to do double jump tricks to bait out a get up attack and then hit him with a stomp or knee but good people anticipate that. just wait to move second and abuse your advantageous position. sometimes a wavedash in place can bait out a reaction, there's all sorts of little tricks to bait out your opponent but jumping in wrecklessly is not the right choice.

3. when you land a stomp on a falco at high percents where a knee is pretty much a guaranteed kill (with easy ledge hog) DON'T UPAIR for longer uneccessary combos. it's a tournament match. falco gives no mercy to falcon. he'll down air your mother at 0% when she's off the stage if he could. just give the knee to falco in return and take the stocks as quickly and efficiently as possible. (PS, this also applies for other situations where you have guaranteed knees such as raptor boost)

4. when a space animal is up-b'ing from below the stage. don't do nothing and let him get back on. hit him some how. either with a back air as he pops his head up (assuming poorly spaced fire bird/fire fox) or grab ledge --> ledge hop invincible aerial). Space animals have very limited recovery options (like most other characters) when they are up-b'ing from below. Punish them for it.

That's all I can say based on the short set I guess. You have very nice movement with falcon :)! The above things were stuff I picked out that bothered me given this is a tournament set and you wanted to address your bad habits.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
http://youtu.be/bCytmp9QYCk

only tournament match that got recorded this weekend... Lots of obvious stuff I noticed, but it helps to hear it from someone else.
Nice set. I think the biggest improvement you could make would be better ledge guarding. Do something more systematic. When you are hanging on the ledge, you never refresh your invincibility. Reverse knee ledgehop is often the best ledge guard if Fox is recovering from below the stage. Bair from the ledge if he's below you can also be good (I remember you missed a ledgehop stomp at some point).

I also think you should be more systematic with your followups after side b. There are a lot of guaranteed options, so just pick a couple and do them consistently. There's no excuse for missing followups after that move.

Top Bottom