• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
@Tactician
I'll try out wavelands on my empty hops. And yeah, I spaced out way too much in my shield like an idiot lol. Still working on shielding less in general.

@Wenbo
Do not know why I forgot about uthrow uair lol. I am awful at instant uairs though, so I'll def. work on that in regards to tech skill. And lol, my reactions against AC aerials definitely suck donkey balls. In general, I think I'm still learning how to not approach like a moron (and instead, approach like a smart person lol).

Thanks for the critique guys, you've given me a good amount to think about/work on.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Uthrow Uair is Falcon bread and butter vs floaties
Even characters it doesn't combo on Uair will usually beat out their moves from below anyway

Approaching Sheik is pretty different
Just keep in mind that you have the mobility advantage
Often baiting with shield is actually quite good if you think they're going to Ftilt, you can get free Nairs that way
Just don't get too predictable with it and know when to get out fast if they don't just Ftilt your shield like a dummy

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
He needs to not do useless wavelands / nonthreatening doublejumps all the time and apply real pressure instead

Maybe he should try dashdancing while working around lasers so you actually feel threatened instead of ... doing nothing and getting *****

Just tell him to watch the video and ask himself
Did that move have a snowball's chance in hell of hitting you
The answer will probably the no 90% of the time
He should learn to correct that
By doing moves that might hit you

At least he can gentleman pretty good ... I can't do that

oksas

oak-sauce
good advice. i had bamesy give me some advice based on my PM wolf months ago and he essentially gave me the same advice... need to work on like, only doing effective stuff

thank you wenbo. and gentleman isn't that hard lolz

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
^this.

You weren't really using it when you and I played, and I noticed your pretty good at WDing after them. Its pretty slick. I can barley buffer a dash/generally opt to shield and drop it cause its a lot more consistent for me

:phone:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
We played? Was this at Apex? Or are you talking about Oksas? I don't remember everyone I play haha

I don't think you can really buffer the dash ... you just dash whenever you're in the IASA frames for the gentleman and hope it works

I'm thinking about going back to AA(A+Z) and just tapping them so I can dash without holding <_<

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
it was for Oksas, lol.

He was here early december-ish and we played a few hours of friendlies. Pretty dope. It was about... 60:40 his favor, but i was pleased considering SD is probably the most dead state of all for smash.

Many Falcon dittos occured

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I have new matches to get critiqued from Apex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9uwqn3up98 My matches start at 26:14.

Yo that uair underneath the stage was amazing. You displayed some pretty great movement too. I also thought you tempered yourself great in your jumps (meaning you did not throw out useless or unsafe aerials). You also get your uairs out so fast out of a sh.

Nice tech at like 32:09 lol. I'm taking notes from you though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Man did I not post my critique of gravy's Falcon ... sigh I don't remember what I said anymore

Please learn how to time the neutral stand from the ledge on Sheik though that was painful to watch

gravy

Smash Ace
Yo that uair underneath the stage was amazing. You displayed some pretty great movement too. I also thought you tempered yourself great in your jumps (meaning you did not throw out useless or unsafe aerials). You also get your uairs out so fast out of a sh.

Nice tech at like 32:09 lol. I'm taking notes from you though.
Thanks man :) That uair made me lol, that was the first time I'd ever done that. I'll keep working on my Falcon, hopefully at Evo he'll be pretty dope.

Man did I not post my critique of gravy's Falcon ... sigh I don't remember what I said anymore

Please learn how to time the neutral stand from the ledge on Sheik though that was painful to watch
I'm trying! I blow at edgeguarding, but I've been working on it a lot. Hopefully I can get some good Sheik practice soon and get a bit better at killing that ******.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It makes the Sheik matchup so much easier if you can just kill her all the time when she gets put offstage

Vs Falco (I swear I've already made this post argh)
I hate dtilt edgeguarding vs illusion, I'd much rather hard call it with uptilt or go for a DAFT (down angled ftilt) if you're going to try to react

You're getting hit by Bairs he's throwing out ... if you're looking at the back of his shield or he's doing a dashdance to try to bait you in, Bair is THE move you're looking to dodge because it's huge and basically every Falco will do it

Good Falcos will start turnaround lasering and tricky things like that but you can't just run into Bair all the time

You sit in shield a lot ... not a good habit in general
I know it can be tough against Falco but you just have to be really good at taking a laser and moving out of it immediately

Some of your defensive habits involving coming down from the air with unsafe attacks and double jumping a lot when cornered also need work I think ... if you watch the FD game there are a few times where you just doublejump and get wrecked

If you feel the need to jump, you can buffer fullhop and try to react to what they're doing ... drifting back with your fullhop while keeping your DJ is a very powerful tool for escaping the corner unless you do it too predictably

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah you did make this post, but I think it was in the Falcon help thread. As for using dtilt, I was just going through a phase where I wanted to experiment with it. I acknowledge that utilt and DAFT are better, but I always want to try new things. I should have done it in pools just to get the win, but alas, I did not.

As far as avoiding bair and staying out of shield, I've been thinking about learning how to use CC better, I can probably CC grab bair if it's an early one right? And I also need to get much better at powershielding lasers and moving around them in general. But all in all, I'm putting a ton of work into my Falcon. I'm going to try to post critique videos more regularly, I want to improve as much as humanly possible before Evo. So I'll try to keep getting your opinions. Also, is holding shield and c stick up the only way to buffer jump?

Zhea

Smash Ace
Yah you did make this post, but I think it was in the Falcon help thread. As for using dtilt, I was just going through a phase where I wanted to experiment with it. I acknowledge that utilt and DAFT are better, but I always want to try new things. I should have done it in pools just to get the win, but alas, I did not.

As far as avoiding bair and staying out of shield, I've been thinking about learning how to use CC better, I can probably CC grab bair if it's an early one right? And I also need to get much better at powershielding lasers and moving around them in general. But all in all, I'm putting a ton of work into my Falcon. I'm going to try to post critique videos more regularly, I want to improve as much as humanly possible before Evo. So I'll try to keep getting your opinions. Also, is holding shield and c stick up the only way to buffer jump?
So something that helped me against Flaw's bairs(when I remember do it) was to just F-Smash. I'm talking about the wall-o-bairs where falcon just does 2-3 fade back bairs.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'd rather just bait the Bair and grab them
You don't need to CC it if you space tight enough ... I'd rather avoid hits than taking them to the chin and trying to grab them afterward especially because it's not an option when Bair breaks your CC

You just need to run in as soon as they miss you

gravy

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/ticosmash/b/365439327?t=1h22m38s

This and any Pink Falcon thereafter or before.

I main Samus, but I always find myself tapping into a different realm of skill every now and then when I play Falcon. Looking for general tips, more of this, less of that, you don't do this, you shouldn't do this etc.

= )
Alright, from what I saw, your Falcon is pretty good, you just need to practice getting his speed up. But, there are some things you should be doing. First and foremost, you should use nair more. It's a great tool for the neutral game, and it's also great for continuing combos and putting an end to them (nair to knee.) A good example of a time you could do this is when you uthrew that falco onto the yoshi's platform, instead of covering their tech with uair, you can do a quick nair to knee to end his life. You can also nair over falco's lasers, and rapter boost under the high ones. Also, you should practice covering multiple tech options with one move, like raptor boost, down smash, nair, stomp (in some situations.) Once you can do that, you have a guessing game that's a lot more heavily balanced in your favor. Also, at high percentages, you should uthrow knee falco if he DI's like that instead of uthrow uair. But all in all, it's a pretty good Falcon.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Hey man thanks for the critique I really appreciate it. Eventually I'll get fast enough to cover options on reaction but until then I'll work on covering multiple options.

:phone:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's kinda funny that the Samus main likes to grab

Other than general tech skill stuff (mostly JCing your grabs I'm sure that's a Samus thing haha) one thing I don't like is using raptor boost a lot

I think it should be reserved for when you have a clear read on where they're NOT going to roll but aren't sure if they're going to tech in place or techroll
Also when you hit one they should die because going for them before it launches is pretty mediocre

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well I just see you using it a lot when you won't get a clean 2nd hit off it even if it connected

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
More like when they're at like 30 below a platform or something like that iono
I think it was just that one techchase where you tried like ... 3 of them in succession <_<
At some point it also puts them into the floating animation if they don't tech I believe

Point is I like going for raptor boosts when it sets up upsmash or knee

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Yea I know what point in the video your referencing lol. Hopefully if I play tonight I'll have some better skill to display.

oksas

oak-sauce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZcvv1X-Vw

any advice would be appreciated. already got some from jackie but more never hurts. i've been trying to be more "efficient" etc as suggested by wenbo et al, not sure how much i'm actually doing anything differently though

rewatching it myself i can pick out a lot of my major problems/stupid **** i did. definitely some bad habits in there though

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZcvv1X-Vw

any advice would be appreciated. already got some from jackie but more never hurts. i've been trying to be more "efficient" etc as suggested by wenbo et al, not sure how much i'm actually doing anything differently though

rewatching it myself i can pick out a lot of my major problems/stupid **** i did. definitely some bad habits in there though
You dair a lot on Marth from above. If the Marth player realizes you've used your DJ already and they have decent timing, you will never land a dair on them. You also half-commit a lot of approaches which winds up with Marth dashing away or just plain getting outspaced. Recently I've learned this matchup is pretty dumb because Marth can put up this invisible wall like friggin Mr. Mime(Pokemon Reference). You have to dive in between the whiffs rather than flat out out-space them in this matchup. Pick your approaches more carefully.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Whats the best throw vs spacies at Mid Percent to set up combos. I've been doing up throw buts its not going so well or just tech chasing d-throw.
mix it up. Up throw can get you ftilt/dtilt which can lead to a no-tech if it catches them off guard. Down throw will get a more instinctual response whereas with Up throw you can "force" a response based on how you move while they're still airborne.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
http://www.twitch.tv/tm9001/b/373174254 starts at 6:30
http://www.twitch.tv/tm9001/b/373184308 1:30:35 - 1:37:28 and 1:56:42 - 2:05:50 (Sound is desynced, listen with music preferably.)

Im basically wondering what I could be doing better with Falcon vs Sheik/Falco. I find that I have a hardtime to determine where I'm safe and where I'm not so im trying to refine my movement and precision but I think I'll need some help with that. It's this Falco matchup that gives me the most problem with any character it seems so anything you can point out where I can defend myself better or where there are opportunities i've missed would be really nice.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Consider stomp OoS if the Sheik is gonna do a bunch of low attacks on your shield after aerial

Good Sheiks will catch on but you'll just randomly destroy stocks if they Dtilt your shield after AC Fair ... but don't do it if they're Ftilting / Utilting

I don't like Uair as a platform techchase, it isn't even a guarantee if they tech the other way so I'd much rather do rising stomp cover half the platform and miss the other techroll

DI away from Sheik is generally better when you're getting techchased, if you DI behind her she doesn't have to move to react and can just Dsmash you at higher %

Nair is kinda sucky a lot of the time .... if you're not hitting their shield with the tippy toes you get shield grabbed, but if they're just standing there they can just Ftilt your feet or Fair through it when the hitbox disappears

Vs Falco you're just getting Baired out of shield every time, dashdance bait it and grab him or shield it and Nair OoS / wavedash OoS toward him (you have to be real fast to not get shined / uptilted if he fades away, you can just shieldgrab if he's moving toward you)

Game 2 as unfortunate but you could have gone for the much safer weak knee upair, the most standard of Falcon gimps

Might watch game 3 when I get back home

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Don't have any videos atm but i'm just wondering what the best approach against a sheik would be on FD
Are aerials out of the question considering sheik has over 9000 things that could beat any of your aerials? Would I only be fishing for grabs?
I hate how low her crouch is though...I feel like falcon just flat out loses this match up //emo

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Consider stomp OoS if the Sheik is gonna do a bunch of low attacks on your shield after aerial

Good Sheiks will catch on but you'll just randomly destroy stocks if they Dtilt your shield after AC Fair ... but don't do it if they're Ftilting / Utilting

I don't like Uair as a platform techchase, it isn't even a guarantee if they tech the other way so I'd much rather do rising stomp cover half the platform and miss the other techroll

DI away from Sheik is generally better when you're getting techchased, if you DI behind her she doesn't have to move to react and can just Dsmash you at higher %

Nair is kinda sucky a lot of the time .... if you're not hitting their shield with the tippy toes you get shield grabbed, but if they're just standing there they can just Ftilt your feet or Fair through it when the hitbox disappears

Vs Falco you're just getting Baired out of shield every time, dashdance bait it and grab him or shield it and Nair OoS / wavedash OoS toward him (you have to be real fast to not get shined / uptilted if he fades away, you can just shieldgrab if he's moving toward you)

Game 2 as unfortunate but you could have gone for the much safer weak knee upair, the most standard of Falcon gimps

Might watch game 3 when I get back home
Ya vs Falco.. I guess I really have to make him do something first and then punish him for it, I realized it's pretty hard to maintain that dangerous position for Falcon since if you move away too far you just keep getting stopped but if you move too close you get hit. Would you know how to lock down Falco like that effectively?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Stay too close for him to laser effectively IMO
If he's doing low lasers you can jump over them, otherwise you can stuff lasers if he does them too close to you with Nair
When he starts respecting your Nair range and does more aerials you can start playing against him like he's a normal character without a dumb projectile

Basically you need to work yourself to the distance where he can't comfortable laser while still being able to dashdance ... it does you no good to get close to him and have to shield an aerial

Just space really tight and it'll work out hopefully haha

@Yakal - same concept applies, except you're staying close enough to bait out tilts while still being able to punish them
Just don't get hit by dash attack

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya having to call that shot kinda close is pretty hard for sure, lol. If you make a bad decision, it's very damaging. =(

So if Nair stuffs lasers, how would you stuff Falco's nair? DD or WD grab or straight up counter attack him with something?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If you're in the air first you'll stuff everything Falco does if he jumps but it's not very good if he's grounded

I just go on trying to figure out my opponent's rhythm and jumping right before they jump because you get to pressure them a lot in that kind of situation
Just experiment more I guess <_< I can't say I'm the best vs Falco

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
As a sheik main, what is the motivation for ever doing that lol? I can't see a reason unless you know you can shield stab
fair->jab
fair->jab->grab
fair->dash away
retreating fair->spaced ftilt
(random uptilt possibility)
and tomohawks

that's what you should expand on and have a plan against or try to avoid as falcon. That's like saying stomp is good versus fair->fsmash but why would that ever come up lol?

Windrose

Smash Lord
can't sheik also dodge grabs by ducking/dtilt in some scenarios?

implementing hax's well timed soft knee --> upair edge guarding technique works great against falco and helps guarantee kills when falco is off stage and needs to do more than double jump to grab the ledge. It will probably be especially good vs BAM since he likes to side-b a lot and shorten.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
can't sheik also dodge grabs by ducking/dtilt in some scenarios?
Yes, and if the goal is to avoid the grab then chose a punishment of your choice (a.k.a. 99% of the time dthrow lolol) just crouching is a better option

One more thing that makes Falcon Sheik impossible imo. She basically does everything Falcon does but safer and better.

Top Bottom