• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Noobpwnsxperts

Smash Rookie
These are the original falcon fights again im sorry for the horrible quality and noise these are about a year and like 8 months old but im around this level right now because i just restarted my game play like 2 months ago and i want to improve m0ore to join a tournament i will later on upload better quality with recent material i need to know what i need cause i feel stuck >.< i want a better falcon to get known

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y-vfxNLSBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKBfX8zNprQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNDvWXAhYI&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqROjigG3MU&feature=relmfu

oscarmalherbe

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grpyg...ature=youtu.be

How ya'll doin. This is mojo. representing Houston's finest as well as *ranked* best player in texas.this is a compilation of my falcon vs two of my friends playing spacies. The fox and falco are two different people that don't play each other very often. Tell me what you guys think, I'm open to anything. thanks

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grpyg...ature=youtu.be

How ya'll doin. This is mojo. representing Houston's finest as well as *ranked* best player in texas.this is a compilation of my falcon vs two of my friends playing spacies. The fox and falco are two different people that don't play each other very often. Tell me what you guys think, I'm open to anything. thanks

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
These are the original falcon fights again im sorry for the horrible quality and noise these are about a year and like 8 months old but im around this level right now because i just restarted my game play like 2 months ago and i want to improve m0ore to join a tournament i will later on upload better quality with recent material i need to know what i need cause i feel stuck >.< i want a better falcon to get known
You use stomp recklessly. You attack wayyyyy too much, make your approaches smarter, better spaced, etc. If someone sees you throw out a badly spaced nair in falcon dittos, they can trade knee with the second hit on reaction. By the same token, stop grabbing when it doesn't have any chance of working. Also, try to capitalize more when you are in advantageous positions. The times when it would be beneficial to go really aggressive are the only times I see you back off -.- It looks like you are trying to play really balls out and not gay, which is respectable, but you really have to make tech chases count more often. Don't go for a read every time, try to cover options and regrab sometimes. It's also terrible to tech chase with nair when you are going for a read and only covering one option anyway.

Raptor boost is almost never good in the situations where you use it. You might want to not use it at all for a while and then try to slowly work it back into your game, based on when it seems like a good idea, rather than just being a "go to" option.

edit: also, I wasn't paying too close attention, but I think you need to DI out more. Some of the combos seemed a bit fishy

more edits to not double post:

heyy guys theres a tourney coming up in my area and i actually want to make it out of pools this time lol ive been working really hard and am now starting to see improvement with my falcon
Stop using raptor boost. You need to figure out when it's good before you use it. It's the most punishable move you have, and you aren't using it well, so give it a break and start working it back in eventually once you have a better feel for which options you have.

Your movement is good, but your punish game is really lacking. You need to try to convert when you have chances. e.g. that stomp on the last stock was one of the easiest reverse knees you will ever get. Also, you use nair too much. It is definitely an important move, and can be a go to option, but there are a couple problems with how you use it. Fox can crouch cancel it at low percents and punish you, even though his CC game isn't the best most scary in the world. Worse yet, he can run in and up smash and trade with the second hit. It's REALLY easy for him to do this. The trade is bad, and he has a chance of following up if you are both at low percents. Try jumping and not doing an aerial, then doing a last second uair or nair if he gets close. This will make you a little scary--like it seems you are trying to do with your nairs--but won't be as easily punishable.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noo8xeKr0R4

Sup guys this was a few weeks ago in Georgia. Any and all advice would be appreciated thxx

Things I think I should improve on:
More patience and clogging up the space above him with uairs or something IMO.
Not rolling into him like a ***** when I feel scared on the edge.
I think I reset too much.

D

Deleted member

commentators are pretty dumb first thing im gunna say.

general advice:
unless you have a history/good read on him, regrab more/ go for up-air in tech in place option/ side-b rather than going for big knee/ stomp every time. read his tendacies in first match or so before going big

even if you did regrab 1-2 times --> then go for read you woulda did a lot more dmg

and that by far is your biggest downfall. You got the grabs and except for very few times you didn't capitalize much

many small mistakes that are obvious IMO i don't wanna point all of them out

1:35 commentators are being ******** here but even if you hit them with strong knee he could crouch --> get to you in time for shine

2:45 big spot to go for either a commit or side-b. tech chasing when they land at the edge should be 80% guaranteed punish

3:22 nice f-tilt lol i woulda never got that

3:45 if you block up-smash its a free knee if ur quick

3:59 a lot of times you try to attack back onto the stage, it's good if you do it once in a while and it works, bad if he keeps expecting it and punishing you which he is everytime

just double jump grab edge

5:08 when he up-airs you in your shield, borderline grab spot i think its worth going for the grab here

5:54 considering he never get-up attacks sometimes its worth chillin next to his body on the floor and doing a react --> regrab

6:22 could drop off b-air which you do a few seconds later

7:00 commentators are ********, but if you don't like rock stage I'm not sure about stadium being the right pick for you. Fire is pretty god awful, but I think Rock is personally good only if you can play on it. I think its AMAZING

don't counterpick stadium if you can't play on rock, its not worth it

plenty of little mistakes that get u clipped by stuff. What I do is try to escape quicker (buffer roll, wavedash out of shield quick) read the situation so he doesnt punish you for rolling etc

a better counterpick for your style I'd say is battlefield. I would personally consider Yoshi's if I was playing because I don't think his pressure is top class at all. Dreamland also not bad

SO, #1 advice. Regrab more, and if you go for commitments make sure you don't miss that option. Sometimes you just miss outright what you wanted to cover which is dumb for me to critique on because its obvious but you get the picture

I hate regrabbing too, but I think a grab or so makes your big committment more likely to hit. And if you miss your big punish option you can still let on pressure if you space fairly close to him

For example: you knee tech in place but he techs away --> you run at him most foxes will up-tilt/shine/ do something or they might just shield.

It's this setup where even if you miss you can still space/zone them to keep putting them in a sticky spot

Commentators are mediocre as hell

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Brush up on your tech skill. There's some other stuff I could say, but I feel like it'll come along with the tech skill practice. I think the main thing you should work on is smoothing out those SHFFL's. I don't think you hit them very consistently and when you did, you didn't take much advantage of the small lag reduction.

Practice running immediately out of your l-cancels! I'm very sure this will help you out a lot in the long run.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
Could someone rate my CF? I would appreciate tips and advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww62exex2ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDEtZtlu2aA

Sorry for the quality.
Didn't watch much of it but right off the bat I can say just work on basic techskill+movement, stuff like getting your fast falls and L-cancels consistent. I can see that both of you guys are aware of ATs and stuff but right now it's important that you guys just focus on the smoothness+quickness of your movements. Try to find friends who are more experienced in the game to help you guys practice, too. Attending local smash scenes and playing against better players will help your development/growth in the game and give you an idea of the speed/control that you should have with your characters.

But yeah, just keep practicing and you'll get better in no time. I think the most important things you can work on right now are getting your SHFFLS/fast falls consistent, platforming (wavelanding onto platforms, Isai drops->aerials, etc.), Dashdancing, shorthops/aerials out of shield, and JC grabs.

Stijn

Smash Cadet
Brush up on your tech skill. There's some other stuff I could say, but I feel like it'll come along with the tech skill practice. I think the main thing you should work on is smoothing out those SHFFL's. I don't think you hit them very consistently and when you did, you didn't take much advantage of the small lag reduction.

Practice running immediately out of your l-cancels! I'm very sure this will help you out a lot in the long run.
Yeah, I get it. I am sort of still working on them and i want to see that there isn't a lag. And indeed sometimes I miss the L-cancels. Thanks I'll work on it.

Stijn

Smash Cadet
Didn't watch much of it but right off the bat I can say just work on basic techskill+movement, stuff like getting your fast falls and L-cancels consistent. I can see that both of you guys are aware of ATs and stuff but right now it's important that you guys just focus on the smoothness+quickness of your movements. Try to find friends who are more experienced in the game to help you guys practice, too. Attending local smash scenes and playing against better players will help your development/growth in the game and give you an idea of the speed/control that you should have with your characters.

But yeah, just keep practicing and you'll get better in no time. I think the most important things you can work on right now are getting your SHFFLS/fast falls consistent, platforming (wavelanding onto platforms, Isai drops->aerials, etc.), Dashdancing, shorthops/aerials out of shield, and JC grabs.
Thanks, I'll work on my L-cancels and movement. Just for the record the M2/Falco in these videos was my little brother who just does what I do. He doesn't even want to be good XD. I'll be visiting dutch tournaments in a month so there are some better players out there. (Amsah, Remen and Ice for example) I can probably learn something from the players there.

S l o X

Smash Champion
people should post more falcon videos. i think i learn just as much from low-mid level play as i do from high level falcons.

i will be posting a few videos up soon.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I take my Falcon seriously sometimes
These games were not at all serious though haha

I've mostly been playing Fox in tourney, but I break out the Falcon on unsuspecting newbies that have Fox training when I don't feel like playing for real ;)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You're doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff
A lot of the time on the FD match he'll be recovering and you'll be doing random *** moonwalks into the stage ... onstage you'll be dashdancing and not react to whiffed moves, which seems to me like you don't really know why you're dashdancing, you're just doing it because people told you that Falcon is good at it <_<

So yeah, figure out why you're doing stuff
When you're playing, watch your opponent, look for punishable things, stop just doing stuff because you feel like it

Also you're slow at moving out of aerials and stuff but that's honestly not the biggest problem you have

@Marth vids
Grats on the win but I feel like the Marth was getting more hits in neutral but couldn't capitalize (all he was really going for were Fsmashes which don't do **** against Falcon)
You did a lot of aerials out of getting juggled that just resulted in easy dashdance grabs and it felt like you were just throwing moves out a lot of the time even if they hit him

I think if the Marth knew how to do up attacks a little better / edgeguard with something other than Fsmash / not randomly double aerial like a moron he would've beaten you

Random note - lightshield edgehog works by holding away from the stage, not ... down or wherever you were holding haha

Mononoke

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice !

I see... So, I waste too much time in useless moves.
I have to be more efficient and pushing ? Can you gave me so common example ?

Yeah I know about that, but I don't know how to approach a Marth correctly ( or maybe I know but I fail all the time ahah x,D )
I have to be more unpredictable I guess...

( Okay thanks for the trick ;p )

Anything else is wrong in my game ? ( any good things in my game too ? x,) )

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You just like ... don't space very well

When Ness is coming down with an aerial and misses you should be able to grab it if you're close enough, but you just miss all those opportunities to get grabs and stuff

Some of it is bad spacing and some of it is not JCing your grabs

Just watch your videos again and pay attention to when your opponent whiffs moves

Alternatively if you get hit, try to understand how you got hit

Although I suspect the answer will often be "I was dashdancing around but not really watching my opponent" haha

D

Deleted member

vs marth (recent) vid:

1:00 sweet pivot grab

1:06 no plat punish, probably a mistake on ur part but u can cover this ez with a sh knee

1:10 u can avoid d-tilt if u sweetspot better

1:22 find a better way to cover this spot, a late flying knee isnt gunna cut it here

1:50 IMO a bad time to hail mary side-b, easy/obvious swat from marth

2:10 approach with knee not n-air

** u suk at covering platform options either your timing/ spacing is off or both

6:35 bad time to go for a knee

==

overall you lack smoothness of technique. When comboing out of throws you are not fast enough. Overall you are not as fast as you could be, which is FINE for this case because the marth u faced is mediocre.

You also **** up platform follow ups pretty often. Space/time it better, don't just use Up-air like all the n00bs do learn how to cover options with stronger/ laggier moves

7:57 you can get a free knee out of blocked non-tipper f-smash. Here, even though you get it, you are slow but got lucky

13:22 wtf puzzy, mono dik guy y did u run and camp here

==

if u read my posts in this topic http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327479, and watch isai vs marth vids you can see the fundamental falcon vs marth metagame that is mostly the same except marth is a lil gayer now

ur pivot grab stuff when close is very good (get behind marth)

u sometimes, but don't always knee approach, just KNEE

i like doing random dangerous hail mary side-b from the front, but try not to do it when it is almost always guaranteed it won't work

==

people should post more VIDS, but ideally not vs NESS or your REALLY OLD **** or random ****** FRIENDLIES

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha ****** friendlies

Slox was complaining that there were no vids ._.

@Boatmode - if you're both trying then that's the stuff he's (probably) looking for haha

S l o X

Smash Champion
yea but serious friendlies aren't ****** friendlies.

yo wenbo i think we're being housed by the same person for big house. ****

Mononoke

Smash Rookie
vs marth (recent) vid:

1:00 sweet pivot grab

1:06 no plat punish, probably a mistake on ur part but u can cover this ez with a sh knee

1:10 u can avoid d-tilt if u sweetspot better

1:22 find a better way to cover this spot, a late flying knee isnt gunna cut it here

1:50 IMO a bad time to hail mary side-b, easy/obvious swat from marth

2:10 approach with knee not n-air

** u suk at covering platform options either your timing/ spacing is off or both

6:35 bad time to go for a knee

==

overall you lack smoothness of technique. When comboing out of throws you are not fast enough. Overall you are not as fast as you could be, which is FINE for this case because the marth u faced is mediocre.

You also **** up platform follow ups pretty often. Space/time it better, don't just use Up-air like all the n00bs do learn how to cover options with stronger/ laggier moves

7:57 you can get a free knee out of blocked non-tipper f-smash. Here, even though you get it, you are slow but got lucky

13:22 wtf puzzy, mono dik guy y did u run and camp here

==

if u read my posts in this topic http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327479, and watch isai vs marth vids you can see the fundamental falcon vs marth metagame that is mostly the same except marth is a lil gayer now

ur pivot grab stuff when close is very good (get behind marth)

u sometimes, but don't always knee approach, just KNEE

i like doing random dangerous hail mary side-b from the front, but try not to do it when it is almost always guaranteed it won't work

==

people should post more VIDS, but ideally not vs NESS or your REALLY OLD **** or random ****** FRIENDLIES
Thanks, yup I try to work on my pivot sometimes, i like to use it on Marth ^^.

All right, all right... I'll take care of these advices and use it on my future matches.
I'll show the true power of Penis Guy >D
( oh and about the campy thing, me and my opponent were laughing... I don't remember why but it was too hard to play seriously during this transformation x,)... btw )
It was a MoneyMatch with some friends, we tried to play seriously sometimes so...

Anyway, thanks a lot ! I'll try to send another videos when I can ^^

@ryankam10 : I try it, but I fail a lot ><

S l o X

Smash Champion
our trip was 12 hours lol

tutu is THE man and so is his mom. all falcons should 1$ mm me at this in dittos. I'm gonna try to get recorded a lot at big house so that real videos of me get put up.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3n3uozhb0g
Game 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTeeg_Q_bAs
Game 2

I tried using annotations to critique this vid
Going to try to do this for the two others (maybe not immediately)

Tell me if you think this style is effective or not
And if my advice is helpful or not

Tried to give advice based on falling for illegitimate stuff, combo goofs
I'll try to critique neutral game too but I'm still not very good at that myself haha

Some overall advice:

Some of your combo choices could use some work, I tried to point those out in the videos

Sometimes you're just like ... doing random aerials that will never hit him ... work on not randomly kicking the air (probably easier said than done)

Work on getting off the ledge better, a few times you just die to him SH Fairing

There are times where you can use Falcon's horizontal movement in the air to change your spacing so that you fall on them with an aerial instead of whiffing, look for those opportunities (or watch Mango's Falcon)

Top Bottom