• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we call Armada the best now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
so and why is it that no one donated hungrybox? also this is a bit shameless in my opinion because armada travelled 5 times to usa now and only got donated once.

Beat!

Smash Master
so and why is it that no one donated hungrybox? also this is a bit shameless in my opinion because armada travelled 5 times to usa now and only got donated once.
Well, no one has started a fund for him afaik.

As for him being shameless... if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Can't really blame him for that.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Me and Taj talked about a little how to rank players and it's definitely pretty hard. It's really hard to call someone the best unless he's able to dominate tournaments after tournaments. Mango and Armada seemed pretty even and so we would rank players like this for example:

SS rank

Armada
Mango
PP

S rank

Hungrybox
M2k
Axe
Jman
Hax/S2j borderline S or A rank.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I would too
Top 3 is really tight, everyone can beat each other up there
I guess, it's true that off days happens pretty often to many players.. especially through a 3 day tournament. It's ridiculously hard to maintain focus that way with little sleep and getting burnt out. lol.

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
There is only one man with this rank.

On topic, I can't really decide on who's THE best. Mango/Armada/PP/M2K/etc. could all be the best if they play at top form and don't make mistakes. It all goes by how we judge what determines being the best.

Of course, no matter who wins the tournaments, the fans will always lose.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I guess, it's true that off days happens pretty often to many players.. especially through a 3 day tournament. It's ridiculously hard to maintain focus that way with little sleep and getting burnt out. lol.
thats why u gotta sleep at the hotel as soon as the day is done. :)

Mokumo

Smash Ace
taj makes a good peoples champ after his recent performance. he was no doubt the people's champion of genesis 2.

otherwise it would totally be darkrain

Beat!

Smash Master
This tournament increased my respect for Mango, both as a person and as a player.

His Fox was playing great. The aggressive, style, which some of us are using as johns for his loss, is exactly what got him to do so well against his opponents. He made it work for him by not giving those floaties enough space to think and properly space. But naturally there are fallbacks, and they showed up as SDs etc.

The one who was playing better won. That's Armada. Sure, you can say he's the champion and not necessarily the best. I just want you to understand that by that kind of thinking alone, there is very, very little Armada could have shown you to prove to you that he is the best. You would be expecting twisted, one-sided victories before you even properly consider that Armada is the best. But that doesn't have to be Armada's playstyle. If his playstyle, as mine does, involves the natural trade of stock, or an amount of riskiness that gets you the kill but also gets you killed occasionally, then those one-sided victories would not come by very often, and the careless critic will say that Armada is not the best because hasn't "proven" it.

Just some food for thought.
I just want you all to consider everything said in this post.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
taj makes a good peoples champ after his recent performance. he was no doubt the people's champion of genesis 2.

otherwise it would totally be darkrain
Well I do like to call out dumb people thinking rankings are set in stone because of past performances. They forget usually that everyone improves, everyone changes. Anything can happen, this time Taj is the hero. Taj is amazing, super props to him. I got to talk to him for a good while at the tournament, it was nice. =)

Stratford

Smash Champion
Do we even know that Armada's coming to Apex 2012?

Also, yea, it's hella lame to say like "Armada is the champ for now, but if he misses a huge US tourney, he's gonna slip down into a tie." In all likelihood, Armada's gonna **** BEAST II. It's not his fault Americans aren't going to that. I'm not saying Armada would win easily if M2K/PP/Mango/Hbox all went to BEAST, I'm just saying that denying him the chance to prove himself again is not fair.

Armada is operating with a huge handicap in his quest to earn the title of best in the world. He has to put in extra time and money (having to travel to the US), and adapt to the NTSC version. He has to do things that none of the top US players have to deal with. And yes these are legitimate ****ing johns. It would be great if just once we could get a decent showing of top US players at some European tourney.

This is Armada's fifth time coming to the US. Three 2nd place finishes one 4th is no joke. That is remarkable consistency. But that wasn't good enough for Armada. He was a man on a mission. And now we can safely say, mission accomplished. I don't know if Armada is "objectively" better than Mango. That is a very difficult question, and one that I'm definitely not qualified to answer. But what I do know is that Armada earned the title of world champion. There's nothing more he could have done.

Congratulations to Armada.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. No one has proven themselves like Armada. The other top 3 have still yet to even go outside of America. Armada just took one of the most stacked tourneys ever, in american territory, playing the american version of the game, under the american rules, without dropping a set. He's world champ at this current time!

Beat!

Smash Master
Do we even know that Armada's coming to Apex 2012?

Also, yea, it's hella lame to say like "Armada is the champ for now, but if he misses a huge US tourney, he's gonna slip down into a tie." In all likelihood, Armada's gonna **** BEAST II. It's not his fault Americans aren't going to that. I'm not saying Armada would win easily if M2K/PP/Mango/Hbox all went to BEAST, I'm just saying that denying him the chance to prove himself again is not fair.

Armada is operating with a huge handicap in his quest to earn the title of best in the world. He has to put in extra time and money (having to travel to the US), and adapt to the NTSC version. He has to do things that none of the top US players have to deal with. And yes these are legitimate ****ing johns. It would be great if just once we could get a decent showing of top US players at some European tourney.

This is Armada's fifth time coming to the US. Three 2nd place finishes one 4th is no joke. That is remarkable consistency. But that wasn't good enough for Armada. He was a man on a mission. And now we can safely say, mission accomplished. I don't know if Armada is "objectively" better than Mango. That is a very difficult question, and one that I'm definitely not qualified to answer. But what I do know is that Armada earned the title of world champion. There's nothing more he could have done.

Congratulations to Armada.
I'm making it a tradition of mine to quote every amazing post I stumble upon.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure Armada will go to Apex unless something weird happens. Don't worry ;)

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Tournament results are quite surprising though I am pleased with the outcome. Good Job everyone what will happen next?

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
No fair I wanna come to disney world too!! So that's the real prize after all.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This kind of threads are stupid because a lot of people make up their minds because what part of the world they are liveing in.

1: Being sick sucks and It was really bad PP was sick ( he´s better then he´s matches showed) but this people forget other people (Hbox at Pound5 and me aswell in tournaments in US)

Felt bad for you PP but I know you are awesome =)

2: "Make mistakes" Yeah that´s the reason why a person lost.

A lot of other weird stuff in this thread but Im to lazy to respond to that (came home kinda recently)

Mango,PP,m2k and Hbox <3

Edit: Would be really fun to see some of you guys in Europe now.
Most of the people are only talking about me in US kinda soon again

And someone even mention a tie if I don´t show up like Im the only that have to travel :p
respecttttttttt

I can leave this thread now

Jonas

Smash Champion
I think Armada is already planning to come to this in October:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295713

And Dr Peepee also may be going and after Genesis 2 maybe Mango will too.
Omg best venue ever. Like seriously.

^What makes you think that? From what i've learned americans are "workaholics" compared to a more laid-back europe. Of course that could mean they're more prone to taking things seriously.

Edit: A quick search on google: Americans average 25.1 working hours per person in working age per week, but the Germans average 18.6 hours. The average American works 46.2 weeks per year, while the French average 40 weeks per year. (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=706982)
Just saying :p
Yeah I wasn't under the impression that Europeans had less spare time either. Kinda opposite of what I thought actually @__@
Japan beats everyone in not having time to f*** around though, but why are they so good at games!!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom