• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^Except that there is a mental side to the Intervention aiding it's use

And the M16 is better at close and mid ranges than the FAMAS (once somebody gets to long range, the FAMAS clearly wins out).

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
^Except that there is a mental side to the Intervention aiding it's use
If you scroll back, I've already given my opinion on this.

And the M16 is better at close and mid ranges than the FAMAS (once somebody gets to long range, the FAMAS clearly wins out).
I don't see your logic behind this, and by that property, I disagree (lol, we're not even talking about the M16 to the FAMAS). Elaborate further.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Oh, I discovered something involving the Barrett & Intervention. We all know that by calculable factors, the Barrett has a 1 up on the Intervention sans recoil and reload time. But unlike Fletch, I do not believe that the Intervention is useless. There is one factor that the Intervention beats the Barrett on downright, and alas, it is on the psyche, and thus easy tom miss with pen, paper, and practice. The Intervention's slow rof does affect the user's behavior, and in a more positive manner than the Barrett. The slow rof prevents bullet spam, promotes distance from target, and while harder to use for newbie, is easier to use for pros. In essence, the Intervention has a built in control that the Barrett lacks. I am not saying that the intervention is better, but that there is a reason why more people use it outside "oh the pros use it". The Intervention has a psychological control that the barrett lacks. This is why the Intervention is more popular.

When I switched to the Barrett, I found that I rushed more and often got poor KDs. I went back to the Intervention, The KDs got more positive.

In short, more people use the Intervention because it has more of a psychological control mechanism that the Barrett lacks.
I had this problem in a VERY large degree when I first switched to the Barrett. I still have it to a lesser extent, much time later.

When I used the Intervention, I found myself not taking so many shots and ensuring I would hit when I did fire. The Bolt Action made me think that every shot had to be a kill. I wouldn't get that second chance. With the Barrett, I find myself taking a lot more shots, and missing much more. It's kinda sad.

You bring up a good point that I also am a huge fan of, and that is the human influence. In debates such as the SCAR vs. TAR debate, strictly numerically speaking, the TAR wins. But the numbers are assuming perfect accuracy, perfect recoil control, everything. It's just not realistic, which is why I feel the SCAR is better as far as field play goes.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
FAMAS and M16 both perform the same close to mid range.One has a better hip fire spread,can't remember which one though.

The FAMAS seems to perform better for me most of the time.

I just get robbed of less kills when I'm using it compared to the M16(I've used them both super extensively)

But lets not get back into this discussion.

The Barrett does the same job the Intervention does only quicker and for a longer time.

Why would you settle for less ammo and slower rate of fire on a gun that's practically the same?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
If you scroll back, I've already given my opinion on this.

I don't see your logic behind this, and by that property, I disagree (lol, we're not even talking about the M16 to the FAMAS). Elaborate further.
1: Can't find it, can you do so?

And I am not saying that the intervention is better. I am just saying that it is not useless, since it gives a psychological assist.

The FAMAS and M16 have a weird RoF difference that assist at different ranges. The M16 has a slower burst, as in its burst is longer, hindering it's use at longer ranges (since there is a noticeable delay between bullets, one must track a target, making longer range shots harder). Conversely, it has a faster rate between bursts, as in the delay between bursts is shorter. This assists at Closer and mid ranges, since Rof is more important (especially due to the semi-auto nature of burst weapons). The FAMAS is the inverse, as in it's burst is quicker (thus aiding at longer ranges), yet the time between bursts is longer (hindering it's chances at closer ranges). The more common closer ranges gives aid to the M16, but I have trouble with both burst fire weapons, so don't ask me.

At least we aren't arguing M4 vs ACR. The difference is so miniscule that I find it amazing that people immediately choose one despite little difference from the other.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I don't really care anymore, I **** with both.

When I snipe, I'm always thinking "I WILL kill this ****er in one shot." The gun you use shouldn't give you that mentality, you should have it ALL THE TIME. If you feel more comfortable with the Intervention because you feel the need to be more accurate, you have a very stupid way of thinking that holds you back.
2. I don't see it.

3. ACR > M4. Shoots straighter for 50RPM less. But either way, they both suck nuts equally.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^This is also true with me and most other people. However, With the Barrett I find that I rush much more, grab a shotgun (not the best sniper's sidearm), and get numerous games when I start with a negative KD due to it. With the intervention, I find that I hang back more, pick up a more reliable sidearm (44 magnum this time, which is more capable of range than even the SPAS [which I used]), and more routinely get positive KDs, even on sub base (along with getting my third killstreak more often). This is what I mean by the mental crutch. Once more, this is the only real advantage over the barrett.

This is something one has to pay a bit of attention to, but it's there. The more generic ranges explains the more popularity of the M16. Just don't ask me which is better.

This is what I was talking about. There is little difference between the M4 and the ACR sans a bit of recoil for one and a slightly slower Rof in the other. But it is true that they do have problems, which is why I switched to the M16.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Anyways, lets change the subject.

What would you list as the top 10 guns in the game, any weapon at all. This is completely subjective, and I'm only interested in your opinion. You can list reasons if you want, I guess.

Here's mine:

1. FAMAS (1 burst kill, overall amazing gun)
2. UMP45 (So versatile, 3 shot kill SMG at ANY range)
3. TAR-21 (Amazing gun, great RoF)
4. M93 Raffica (What puts this over the M16 is the fact that it's a secondary, and it has a really fast swap time. One burst kill. Vastly better than most primaries)
5. M16A4 (One burst kill, wyanut?)
6. SCAR-H (Super accurate, low clip size holds it back. Great nonetheless)
7. AK-47 (OMFG AK-47 SUPAH AWESHUM)
8. RPD (Two shot kill at any range, low mobility)
9. SPAS-12 (Secondary, insane range)
10. PP2000 (Secondary good enough to be a primary)

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
LOL. People are asking me to get them into 10th prestige lobbies ever since I got to 10-70.
People have done the same to me recently. Either that or they ask if you're legit or not. A lot of the time people don't care what you say and call you a hacker, but it's all good. Once you destroy them in the game they'll be able to tell if you're legit or not.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Just prestiged today, and I just found out how good the Overwatch class is. Hell, I'm using it now at level 25 :O

LSW is now my fav weapon.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I separate things into primary and secondary, but still:

Best AR: M16

The burst fire weapons are certainly powerful. The light Autos are too weak, The Heavys suffer a severe flaw in accuracy sans the SCAR, the SCAR has too small a clip (I still have a class with it, but it is reserves), and the FAL is too range dependent. The FAMAS and M16 are the best at this, and the M16 is better at close and mid ranges than the FAMAS. So my vote goes to that.

Best SMG: UMP45

Need I say more. This is possibly the most versatile weapon in the game, capable of being as powerful with a silencer without stopping power as a stopping power backed unsilenced one.

Best LMG: AUG

Look, I don't know much about LMGs, outside that right now they are the least tapped weapons group and possibly the only contenders to the UMP's throne as best weapon. The AUG is certainly the best bet, but the RPD does well. However, the RPD has a reloading flaw, as in it is ridiculously long. The AUG has the smallest LMG clip, but when has that stopped us?

Best Sniper: Barrett

As to show that I am not biased towards my fav. The Barrett has the power of the Intervention, and the Rof of the other semis. The perfect balance between them all, with only it's recoil, reload time, and psychological effects being it's downfall (again, it makes one more rush heavy, and a manner of self control is required).

Best MP: G18

When one thinks of "best akimbo weapon", one might think of the 1887. They are wrong, partially due to the nerfs, and due to this mother****er. these bullet hoses are actually better at mid range FROM THE HIP! A pair of them with **** **** up. One might be able to fit all ****s*c*ng 7 dirty words talking about these ****s, and they will p*** on one's enemies, and one don't even need the ****S.

Best Shotgun: SPAS-12

Again, the 1887 only do well in pairs, and thanks to the nerfs, it no longer holds this role. Then comes the second most popular, the SPAS-12, comes on top. The range is amazing, and after the rise and fall of the 87s, the SPAS 12 still holds out.

Best handgun: the Magnum.

General Shepherd clearly knew which handgun was best since he wields this thing around, even early on. The rest of the population certainly agrees. The 44 magnum challenges the Deagle, and the other one has too much recoil to be competitive. It is almost no contest (well, sans ammo...)

Best Launcher: AT4

Behold the flames! While one might argue the stinger, which can take out killstreaks, the Javelin, which is effectively a mortar strike, the RPG which has 2 rockets to fire at people, and the thumper, aka noob tube 2.0. But the AT4, is just plain flexible, which is why it gets my vote.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
LOL. People are asking me to get them into 10th prestige lobbies ever since I got to 10-70.
lol, never saw that one coming
/sarcasm (or is it?)

for challenges, yes, they do count for double. only reason why i'm at lvl 70 was because i got about 20 challenges (including some BIG challenges like a Pro VI, a Fall camo, a weapon mastery, an all-pro/collateral 2-for-1) during the last double exp weekend...

EDIT: whoa, 1 post from 3k. gotta make it count. :/
That's basically one of my classes exactly, except with the L86 because i never bothered to check out the rpd.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

S

smash brawl player 99021

I separate things into primary and secondary, but still:

Best AR: M16

The burst fire weapons are certainly powerful. The light Autos are too weak, The Heavys suffer a severe flaw in accuracy sans the SCAR, the SCAR has too small a clip (I still have a class with it, but it is reserves), and the FAL is too range dependent. The FAMAS and M16 are the best at this, and the M16 is better at close and mid ranges than the FAMAS. So my vote goes to that.
Sure.
Best SMG: UMP45

Need I say more. This is possibly the most versatile weapon in the game, capable of being as powerful with a silencer without stopping power as a stopping power backed unsilenced one.
I guess.
Best LMG: AUG

Look, I don't know much about LMGs, outside that right now they are the least tapped weapons group and possibly the only contenders to the UMP's throne as best weapon. The AUG is certainly the best bet, but the RPD does well. However, the RPD has a reloading flaw, as in it is ridiculously long. The AUG has the smallest LMG clip, but when has that stopped us?
Whatever.
Best Sniper: Barrett

As to show that I am not biased towards my fav. The Barrett has the power of the Intervention, and the Rof of the other semis. The perfect balance between them all, with only it's recoil, reload time, and psychological effects being it's downfall (again, it makes one more rush heavy, and a manner of self control is required).
Don't care.
Best MP: G18

When one thinks of "best akimbo weapon", one might think of the 1887. They are wrong, partially due to the nerfs, and due to this mother****er. these bullet hoses are actually better at mid range FROM THE HIP! A pair of them with **** **** up. One might be able to fit all ****s*c*ng 7 dirty words talking about these ****s, and they will p*** on one's enemies, and one don't even need the ****S.

Best Shotgun: SPAS-12

Again, the 1887 only do well in pairs, and thanks to the nerfs, it no longer holds this role. Then comes the second most popular, the SPAS-12, comes on top. The range is amazing, and after the rise and fall of the 87s, the SPAS 12 still holds out.
I honestly think Akimbo 1887's are still good. Marathon, Stopping Power, Ninja with the UMP as the primary, and I can still do well.
Best handgun: Akimbo Deagles

Two shot kill with Stopping Power, and you don't notice the terribad recoil on it. Plus it's pretty ******.

Best Launcher: AT4

Behold the flames! While one might argue the stinger, which can take out killstreaks, the Javelin, which is effectively a mortar strike, the RPG which has 2 rockets to fire at people, and the thumper, aka noob tube 2.0. But the AT4, is just plain flexible, which is why it gets my vote. True, it's capable of performing anything the other Launchers can do.
Edited my thoughts in.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
No official time has been given when today's DLC will be available to purchase via the XBLM. I will update you guys when someone has knowledge of the exact time or when it is up.

Fletch

Smash Master
When I snipe, I'm always thinking "I WILL kill this ****er in one shot." The gun you use shouldn't give you that mentality, you should have it ALL THE TIME. If you feel more comfortable with the Intervention because you feel the need to be more accurate, you have a very stupid way of thinking that holds you back.
Exactly... I don't know how people let guns "psychologically influence" them anyways, you can do everything with the Barrett that you can with the Intervention and more, don't limit yourself.

What would you list as the top 10 guns in the game, any weapon at all. This is completely subjective, and I'm only interested in your opinion. You can list reasons if you want, I guess.

Here's mine:

1. FAMAS (1 burst kill, overall amazing gun)
2. UMP45 (So versatile, 3 shot kill SMG at ANY range)
3. TAR-21 (Amazing gun, great RoF)
4. M93 Raffica (What puts this over the M16 is the fact that it's a secondary, and it has a really fast swap time. One burst kill. Vastly better than most primaries)
5. M16A4 (One burst kill, wyanut?)
6. SCAR-H (Super accurate, low clip size holds it back. Great nonetheless)
7. AK-47 (OMFG AK-47 SUPAH AWESHUM)
8. RPD (Two shot kill at any range, low mobility)
9. SPAS-12 (Secondary, insane range)
10. PP2000 (Secondary good enough to be a primary)
1. UMP
2. FAMAS
3. TAR
4. M16
5. Barrett
6. SPAS
7. SCAR
8. Rafficas (don't use them, know that I should, love G18s too much)
9. RPD (I like the AUG more, but this is probably the better gun)
10. F2K Akimbo G18s

Your list is good Leafy, but any gun that has sway added with attachments is no good.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Anybody hear that Ozzy Osbourne and his kid are gonna be playing on Tuesday next week on Xbox?

Bad thing I can't participate because his friend's list is already full :(

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The Resurgence Pack DLC is now available to purchase for 1200 MSP or $15 in real money. It contains 5 maps: 3 new and 2 old ones. No new spec ops missions or weapons are in this map pack.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Subjective lists are EXTREMELY subjective.

There really is no need to put any guns in order, just put some guns down in any random order and just call them the best.

And even then, it's still subjective.

Fletch

Smash Master

There really is no need to put any guns in order, just put some guns down in any random order and just call them the best.

And the point of this post was? Of course it's going to be subjective, it's an opinion, like everything else pretty much in this thread and even this forum. Still doesn't make it any less fun to discuss, and gives insight to what people think are the best guns in the game. Also, even though this is subjective, I think it's a pretty **** accurate representation of which guns are the best.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
We basically all know which guns are best that most of us can agree on. It's just a matter of who has the best logic to back it up :3

In other news, I'm out of my slump :D

And my KD has gone up :3

EDIT: Plus it's mah birthday x3

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In the process of downloading the map pack now, I'll give my thoughts after exploring the levels and playing a bit. I'm worried about chokepoints like Skidrow's hallway or the Crash 3-story.

Fletch

Smash Master
To all 360 Users: I hate you.

I won't have internet anyways for a bit (new apartment), so I'll be off MW2 for a week or so.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master

A post so stupid, that it doesn't even warrant a response... Yet I feel the need to do so anyways. Learn to read please.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Carnival is absolutely incredible. I love this map.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
LMAO SERIN. Wow.

Exactly... I don't know how people let guns "psychologically influence" them anyways, you can do everything with the Barrett that you can with the Intervention and more, don't limit yourself.

1. UMP
2. FAMAS
3. TAR
4. M16
5. Barrett
6. SPAS
7. SCAR
8. Rafficas (don't use them, know that I should, love G18s too much)
9. RPD (I like the AUG more, but this is probably the better gun)
10. F2K Akimbo G18s

Your list is good Leafy, but any gun that has sway added with attachments is no good.
Mine would go:

1. UMP
2. TAR
3. FAMAS
4. M16
5. Raffica
6. SCAR-H
7. RPD
8. SPAS-12
9. PP2000
10. AK 47

TAR just barelyy beats out FAMAS, imo. Honestly, I didn't really know what to put for my bottom 5.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
The Resurgence Pack DLC is now available to purchase for 1200 MSP or $15 in real money. It contains 5 maps: 3 new and 2 old ones. No new spec ops missions or weapons are in this map pack.
15 bucks sounds like a waste of money to me for only 3 new maps and 2 maps that I could just pop in the cod4 disc and play the 2 maps for free.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I really enjoy it. There's just so much to it, by no means is this a linear map with predictable gameplay. There's so much detail and so many routes to take. Trailer Park is very fun, Fuel doesn't seem like a good map to me. It's very intricate, but the size is going to promote a lot of camping. Strike and Vacant are decent.

@Xanthan - The maps play very differently in MW2. 5 maps for $15. That's $3 per map. This is for keeps, something that has a guaranteed year+ of replay value. You spend more money on food at a theatre, call it a waste if you will but for the sheer entertainment it's brought to my drab week, I would say it's well worth the money.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I just don't think $15 is a lot to spend in the first place. Think of what you pay for live and what you pay for just the game. It's not that much and the maps are fun. If you don't buy them you run into little replay value as well.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
$15 bucks again?! As if "I'm broke" wasn't enough of an insult, both map packs are $30, which was my initial plan to put in anyway. **** YOU ACTIVISION!

Top Bottom