Developer | Infinity Ward
Publisher | Activision
Platforms | Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows PC
Genre | First Person Shooter
Release Dates | NA: November 10, 2009 for Xbox 360 and PS3. November 13, 2009 on Steam.
MSRP | $59.99 Standard Edition (Xbox 360, PS3, PC). $79.99 Hardened Edition (Xbox 360 & PS3). $149.99 Prestige Edition (Xbox 360 & PS3) £119.99 Veteran Edition (Xbox 360 & PS3)
PC Minimum System Requirements:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
DirectX: Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
Hard Drive: 12GB of free hard drive space
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Internet: Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation
Box Art and SKUs:
- Steelbook Case
- Art Book
- Voucher to download Call of Duty Classic for XBLA/PSN
- Same contents as Hardened Edition
- MW2 branded Night Vision Goggles
- Stand shaped like Soap's head to display goggles
Xbox 360 250GB MW2 Bundle:
- MW2 branded Xbox 360 console
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Standard Edition game
- 250 GB HDD
- Two black wireless controllers
Xbox 360 Achievements:
Playstation 3 trophies:
PS3 version - CTF playlist returns and Hardcore Moshpit has been added, which has all modes in Hardcore. Info here: http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/20489976613
360 version - Single player demo releases with Cliffhanger level.
PS3 version - Single player demo releases with Cliffhanger level.
360 version - CTF playlist returns and Hardcore Moshpit has been added, which has all modes in Hardcore. http://fourzerotwo.com/post/881317346/mw2ctfhcmoshpit
PC version - Resurgence Package added to all playlists: http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/19607914360
PS3 version - Resurgence Package added to all playlists: http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/18453455966
PC and PS3 versions - Resurgence Package released worldwide on PC and in NA for PS3. Double XP has been turned on. New playlist update includes Resurgence playlist and Barebones Pro playlists. Info here: http://fourzerotwo.com/post/778675002/the-resurgence-package-dlc-for-modern-warfare-2-is
360 version - Two new playlists were added. Barebones Pro and Objective Barebones Pro, in which killstreaks are disabled. PC and PS3 will receive this update on July 5th along with Resurgence Package. http://fourzerotwo.com/post/723560718/barebonespro
PC and PS3 version - Resurgence Package has been confirmed for July 6 for PS3 (NA) and PC (worldwide). EU PSN is July 7th. http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/15941272375
360 version - Resurgence Package maps added to all playlists.
360 version - Release of Resurgence Package. Additional notes incoming.
PC version - Stimulus Package maps added to all playlists.
360 version - Double XP remains ongoing as of this day to celebrate Resurgence Package release on Thursday, June 3rd.
All versions - Memorial Day Double XP weekend. Also, some playlist updates went live that fixes some exploits. Details here: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=332994
Resurgence Package map pack announced for June 3rd for Xbox 360. On a Major Nelson radio podcast, Robert Bowling (Fourzerotwo) has confirmed Resurgence Package will cost 1200 MS points ($14.99) and include 3 new maps and 2 returning CoD4 maps, similar to Stimulus Package. Those maps are Carnival, Trailer Park, and Fuel being the new maps, while Vacant and Strike are returning CoD4 maps. In addition, two double XP weekends will happen on May 28th and June 4th.
PS3 and Xbox 360 versions - Playlist update that adds Search and Destroy in 1st Person Team Tactical playlist UPDATE: As of 05/11/10, this playlist update was also released on PC version.
PS3 version - Stimulus Package maps added to all playlists
PS3 and PC version - Stimulus Package released on both platforms, worldwide for PC and in NA for PS3. Worldwide PS3 owners will get Stimulus Package on May 5th. There is also Double XP week and patches that will follow, similar to Xbox 360 version. Double XP lasts until May 10th. PS3 patch 1.10 notes can be seeing here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...s-psn-tomorrow/comment-page-3/#comment-395393
It was announced that the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package DLC will hit PS3 in North America on May 4th, everywhere else May 5th. PC gets it worldwide on May 4th.
360 version - Playlist update with First Person Team Tactical returning and Third Person Cage Match being removed.
Stimulus Package maps and double XP were added to all playlists.
360 version - Release of Stimulus Package DLC. Will also see new playlist updates, double XP, and a title update. More info here: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=302450
360 update - Playlist update to fix "super-speed" games. More info here: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=298416
Double XP Weekend confirmed for April 2nd to 5th for Xbox Live only.
Robert Bowling (Fourzerotwo) confirmed on Major Nelson Radio #353 that Stimulus Package is coming March 30, 2010 first on Xbox Live for 1200 MS points ($15). Also confirmed a playlist update that adds new map rotation for Harccore HQ and said Harcore Mosh Pit will be added. List of maps can be found here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ccf0001-0000-4000-8000-000041560817?cid=SLink
First map pack teaser site opens: http://www.mapathy.com/
PS3 patch 1.09 - "Permanent" fix to infinite CP glitch. Patch notes here: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=260502
360 patch 4 - Patch notes here: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=260502&p=3829920#p3829920
PS3 patch 1.08 - Patch notes here http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=260502
PC version - A Steam update was released that should fix a crash based on hosting and matchmaking. http://store.steampowered.com/news/3363/
PC patch 4 - Patch notes here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3338/
PC patch 3 - Patch notes here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3331/
All versions - Playlist update to fix "ice skate"/speed hack matches.
PS3 and 360 - Playlist update to fix Chopper Gunner ammo hack.
360 patch 2 - Rebalanced Akimbo Model 1887 shotguns, fixed prestige hack, fix for Private "Public" match glitch, and fix for infinite ammo glitch.
PS3 patch 1.07 and PC patch 2 - Rebalanced Akimbo Model 1887 shotguns, fixed prestige hack, fix for Private "Public" match glitch, and fix for infinite ammo. Fixed texture hacks for PC version.
360 patch - Fixes for several glitches (i.e. Javelin glitch, Care Package glitch, etc.)
PS3 patch 1.06 - Fix for several glitches. (i.e. Javelin glitch, Infinite Care Package glitch, Afghan rock glitch)
PS3 patch 1.05 - Matchmaking improvements implemented.
Hardcore Headquarters Pro playlist added and new maps added in FFA rotation.
PS3 patch 1.04 - "Network functionality related to friend invites; if you weren't having problems then you won't see a change."
New playlists added for all platforms. Mosh Pit, Team Deathmatch Express, and Third Person Team Tactical.
PC patch 1 - Improved IWNet Matchmaking.
PS3 patch 1.03 - "...has the fix that makes our PSN presence updates (used for friend invites and status) less frequent so that we aren't clobbering all of PSN with them. Invites should work much better now."
PS3 patch 1.02 - Fixed trophies.
PS3 patch 1.01 - Day one patch that apparently broke trophies.
Overall Game Features:
Single Player Campaign
Special Ops Mode:During the single-player campaign, the player will take on the role of Sergeant Gary "Roach" Sanderson, a young member of an elite, multinational commando unit known as Task Force 141. The player character in Call of Duty 4, Sergeant John "Soap" MacTavish, returns as a non-playable character; promoted to captain in the Special Air Service. MacTavish is now the head of the Task Force and Sanderson's superior officer. A third member of the Task Force is Ghost, a mysterious character who conceals his face with a skull-imprinted balaclava.
Competitive Multiplayer:A new mode introduced in MW2, Special Ops mode will include two-player cooperative play. Special Ops mode will include 23 action missions similar to Mile High Club which will be more difficult than normal campaign missions and will not be related to the main storyline. It will supposedly pick out certain parts of the single player campaign that "work well with co-op". Missions are unlocked by earning stars, which are acquired by playing levels at certain difficulties. Regular difficulty earns one star, hardened earns two, and veteran earns three. Missions will be divided by groups, called Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo, the last said to be the hardest. Within the groups there are types of missions such as "Breach and Clear" and "Elimination". There will even be special enemy types, such as those using riot shields, or even Special Ops exclusive "Juggernauts" wearing heavy armor.
The general Spec Ops missions fall into the following categories:
Assault – Sends you through a level to take down targets while avoiding civilians.
Stealth – Has you sneak past enemies.
Wave Defense – Spawn’s five increasingly harder waves – similar to Gears 2 Horde Mode.
Elimination – Drops you into a level with a set number of spawning enemies.
Snowmobile Time Trials – Get to the finish line as quick as possible.
Snowmobile Combat – Race against and shoot your friend.
AC-130 – One man in the gunship handles fire support, while one man on the ground has a laser sight on his rifle calling down death from above.
- Spec Ops mode can be played alone (via split-screen) or with another player online.
- Spec Ops mode will be invite only, there is no matchmaking.
- Each player can play Spec Ops missions at different difficulties. However, you cannot earn stars any higher than the player playing the lower difficulty. For example, If player one is playing on Veteran (three stars) and player two is playing on Regular (one star), both players will only earn one star if they complete the mission. Both players must play on Veteran to earn all three stars on the mission.
Multiplayer across all platforms will be very similar to CoD4 on consoles. You can expect the following:
- Team Deathmatch - Use teamwork to kill enemy players and reach the score limit.
- Free-For-All - No Teams, everyone for himself. Kill everyone.
- Domination - Three flags need to be captured and held for as long as possible. Hold the designated positions to gain points.
- Ground War - Rotating game modes (Team Deathmatch, Domination etc.) with a 18 player limit (on consoles) instead of 12.
- Sabotage - 1 Bomb in the center of the map. Grab it and destroy the enemy objective.
- Headquarters Pro - Capture the headquarters and defend it from the enemy.
- Search and Destroy - Two teams take turns in defending and destroying an objective. Offense will carry a bomb that needs to be planted on either one of the two plant-sights defended by the other teams. On half time teams switch, defense will be offense. There is no respawning.
- Capture the Flag - Capture the enemies flag and return it to your teams base to score points.
- Demolition - Defend and destroy both objectives. Teams switch sides after every round.
- Hardcore Team Deathmatch
- Hardcore Search and Destroy
- 3rd Person Cage match Hardcore - Third person 1 vs. 1
- Team tactical - Domination, TDM, Demolition, CTF and SnD.
- Barebones Pro (kill streaks disabled)
- Objectives barebones pro (kill streaks disabled)
- Hardcore Domination
- Hardcore Demolition
- Hardcore CTF
- Hardcore Sabotage
Perks:- Matchmaking, private matches, party system, invites, voice chat, different ranked playlists, and more.
- A new third person mode and matchmaking playlists has been added to the game.
- In-game host migration has been added. When the host of the game quits, the game will automatically pick the next best host and the game will continue.
- In private games, you can invite your friends/other players and customize the game settings as necessary. These private games are unranked and no XP can be earned.
- New perks are introduced and certain old perks have been removed. Perks can also be upgraded to a “Pro” version which adds new benefits in addition to the normal function. For example, Marathon Pro, in addition giving unlimited sprint, allows you to vault over obstacles faster.
- New Death Streaks are introduced, which gives players a certain perk when they die a certain number of times in a row. An example is Copycat, which copies the perks and weapon setup of the last person who killed you.
- New killstreak rewards have been introduced, from the 4 killstreak Care Package, which drops a random ammo box or killstreak reward to the first player to pick it up, to the powerful 11 killstreak AC-130 of “Death From Above” fame in CoD4.
- Players can now customize their killstreak rewards. They can decide what three rewards to have and in what order they appear in.
- As expected, a ton of new weapons will be introduced to MW2, but some old weapons will not return.
- Pistols aren’t the only secondary weapons now. Shotguns and machine pistols have been made secondaries.
- A riot shield has been added. The riot shield acts as your primary weapon, with which you can block attacks and melee enemies, but significantly slows down your movements and your back is exposed. A secondary weapon can still be equipped, but not wielded at the same time as the shield. When the secondary weapon is out, the shield will be slung on your back and protect your back from bullets.
- New equipments have been introduced that can replace your basic frag grenade.
Some of these include:
- Throwing knives, which can be recovered from your dead enemies.
- Semtex, which acts as the sticky grenade for MW2.
- Tactical Insertion, a flare that provides the owner a new spawn point.
- There will be new attachments for your weapons, such as the Heartbeat Sensor, Thermal Scope, and many other new variations of the Red Dot Sight.
- With the Bling perk, you can now equip more than one attachment on weapons.
- You can now go akimbo and dual wield pistols, SMGs, and certain other weapons.
- A ton of new challenges are introduced to constantly reward players for actions such as double kills, rescuing teammates, stopping an opponent’s killstreak, etc.
- New accolades will be shown after matches to see who had the most knife kills, most UAVs used, and many more.
- A new customizable call sign and emblems will be introduced. These call signs and emblems will show up on screen as you kill opponents. As players gain XP, level up, and perform certain actions, they will unlock new specific emblems. Do you like to make knife kills? You can get a specific emblem for that. There are tons of call signs and emblems to unlock.
- The max rank/level cap has been raised to 70.
Weapons damage chart
Time to Kill and Bullets to Kill of all the weapons
- The first MW2 map pack was released as a timed exclusive (30 days) on the Xbox 360 on March 30th. The 'Stimulus Package' DLC became available on the PS3 and PC on May 4th and 5th. It costs 1200 MSP ($15) on the XBLM/PSN and Steam and will include 5 maps. (3 new and 2 old) (Bailout, Salvage, Storm, Crash and Overgrown)
- The 'Stimulus Package' DLC has been confirmed to be priced at $15 on all platforms. (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC)
- The first 2 map packs for MW2 will be a 30 day timed exclusive on the Xbox 360.
- Official Mapathy DLC preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0A3NgyJBc
- Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPh317-yNo
- The second MW2 map pack was released as a timed exclusive (30 days) on the Xbox 360 on June 3rd. The 'Resurgence Map Pack' DLC will also be available on the PS3 and PC on July 6th.
- The Resurgence Map Pack DLC will contain 5 maps, 2 of them are CoD4 maps. This map pack will include: Carnival, Trailer Park, Fuel, Vacant and Strike and will cost 1200 MSP ($15) on the XBLM.
- The Resurgence Map Pack DLC is now available to purchase on Steam (currently 10% off pricing it at $13.49) and $15 on the PSN.
- A new multi-player mode called "Global Thermonuclear War" has been rumored to be a new addition. Players have to "capture" a nuke (which looks like a bomb site) until they reach 100 points which then the nuke blows up, kills everyone and wins the match for the team which captured it. It does not matter how many players are around the nuke capturing it. The capturing speed does not increase.
- Also, additional Special Ops mode missions are being considered for future DLC. No other information has been revealed as of yet.
(Smashboards username :: XBL GTs, PSNs and Steam IDs)
Xbox LIVE Gamertags:
:: AIex Bear
F8AL :: II F8AL II
The Real Gamer :: TEH 4pp1e SEED
ODIN :: Big Boss 0DIN
Grunt :: The Fear Bros
o-Serin-o :: xSerinx
Deltacod :: Deltacod
omis :: jmshdmn
Maniclysane :: Maniclysane
Icydeath :: Prime Badger
smashman90 :: JHaas90
TigerWoods :: Arcturus Stream
Master Xanthan :: Master Xanthan
Tranzworld :: TranZworld
GreenFox :: Zoob man
smash superstar :: rep217folife
Attractive Aidan :: Tornado Aido
BanjoKazooiePro :: TiptupTurtle20
Charizard92 :: Gray Wolf1992
Ophy :: mileyfan2436
CA5H :: Stealthy Gunnar
emilywaves :: emilywaves
Xianglian :: Temari25
SnackAttack :: vI Snack Iv
Player-1 :: uber fatwad
RuNNing Riot :: DE Thel Vadamee
Cherry64 :: Willzasarus
Fuelbi :: Fuelbi
-ANTi- :: LORD OF GOONS
YarsRevengerson :: bigmix
Chacotaco :: RimGoblin
★Malik★™ :: Zamness
Gifts :: Gifts of Sin
Hot_ArmS :: HotArmSies
Shallow :: i8SumChiknStrips
GwJumpman :: GwJumpman
Tri Brow :: GoNadBlaster
Grandeza :: gr4ndeza
Thunder44 :: Thunder044
flaco :: legacytempo
Pluvia :: Our Last Scene
Ozz :: Usman_A
cyan_ :: TdotThai
Icydeath :: MrXBrightside
Lobos :: lobos12
BelgianWaffle :: RhinoMuffin
Blu3r :: the_turtl
AnDaLe :: ANDLE7
Werekill :: WerekillV
Fletch :: ClownMafia
Colonel Cuddles :: Elitezer
LumpyCPU... :: SweepsX
xLeafybug =D :: NiightShade-
MK26 :: NestiXXVI
BABYEATER :: BABYEATER18
AvaricePanda :: xAvarice___
-ANTi- :: SacredWhip
UltimateRazer :: Grim_Turtle
SilverDoc :: bumbaclottt
Matt07 :: Price_07
kr3wman :: SummerLullaby
arcane9211 :: arcane1129
bowser king :: BKing177
LuiMan20 :: VerasBrothers
D13 :: Aputee53
MASAHIROx :: WHT_KNGT
Martian :: AerodynamicDuo
Shallow :: HolyShazaaam
P D :: Co_Captain_Jack
SnackAttack :: iSnackers
Sariku :: FDSariku
Faithkeeper :: Faithkeeper_
Cyan_ :: TdotThai
First Teaser Trailer
E3 Press Conference Gameplay Trailer (CAM)
Alternate E3 Youtube Version
First Multiplayer Trailer: AC130
Multiplayer Trailer: Flag Runner
Campaign Infamy Trailer *Contains Spoilers*
Special Ops Interview
Special Ops “Breach and Clear” Gameplay (CAM)
Prestige Edition Unboxing
Fight Against Grenade Spam PSA
2. dback28 or TheOnlyGangster
8. The competitive team OpTic
Gametrailers - 9.5
Eurogamer - 9/10
Edge - 9/10
IGN - 9.5
Giant Bomb - 5/5
1UP - A
Gamespy - 5/5
Gamepro - 5/5
Game Informer - 9.75/10
Gamespot - 9/10
Boomtown - 8/10
Member submitted guides/strategies:
Delta-cod's SMG guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9219556&postcount=1835
Big Boss O D I N's "Shank and Gank" guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9248828&postcount=2040
IcyDeath’s Guide to Kill streaks: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9249694&postcount=2051
Charizard92's sniper guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9257783&postcount=2091
If you would like to create and submit a guide, please send me (F8AL) a PM or post a visitor message (with a link to your guide) on my visitor wall here at SWF.
Contributors/Special thanks to:
The Real Gamer
O D I N
Q: Is there any difference between the game versions?
Q: Where can I find all the intel?
A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCy4pRQ61rs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCQiM7Uhyo
Q: Do you get any in-game cheats for the campaign if you collect all of the intel like in CoD4?
A: Unfortunately, no. The only things you get for collecting all of the intel are achievements/trophies.
Q: How long is the campaign?
A: About 6-7 hours on normal difficulty.
Q: I can't beat [special ops mode mission] on veteran difficulty!
A: Post a reply in this thread and someone will help you.
Q: Do you get anything if you're a 10th prestige gold cross in CoD4 and you start to play MP in MW2?
Q: What do you get if you prestige in this game?
A: An extra custom class slot every other prestige (1, 3, 5, 7 and 9) and some new emblems, titles and prestige challenges.
Q: The music in this game is awesome! Where can I find the official OST?
A: MW2's main music composer; Hans Zimmer is currently creating the OST. The OST is now available to purchase on the iTunes music store. It contains 17 tracks for $0.99 each.
Q: Is Microsoft planning on selling those 250BG HDD Xbox 360 hard drives separately?
A: Yes, Microsoft has recently started to sell the hard drives in Japan for $170. It is also being planned on being sold in other countries for $130.
Q: Will Infinity Ward release a 'CoD4 map pack' for MW2?
A: It's possible. Two maps from CoD4 (Crash and Overgrown) are being included in the 'Stimulus Package' map pack. Don't expect it to be free through.
Q: What is the max level cap in MW2?
A: It has been increased from 55 to 70.
Q: Does Smashboards have a clan?
Q: Does the campaign in MW2 have co-op like WaW?
A: Unfortunately, no.
Q: Does the multiplayer have split-screen online/theatre (film) capabilities like Halo 3 or Gears of War?
A: Unfortunately, no.
Q: How come there wasn't an external/public beta for this game like they did for CoD4 and WaW?
A: Infinity Ward felt that their internal beta was enough and that an external one was unnecessary.
Q: Will there be some sort of "zombie nazi mode" in MW2 via some sort of future DLC?
Q: When is the first MW2 map being released?
A: March 30th on the Xbox 360. (30 day exclusive) Then May 4th for the PS3 and May 5th for the PC.
Q: How do I play the "Michael Myers" game type???
A: explains it in this post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10478223&postcount=7198
Q: Is there a demo for this game?
A: Yes, a demo has recently been released on the XBLM and PSN to download. It contains one level: "Cliffhanger". It is 1 GB in size. You can download the Xbox 360 demo here:
Q: Can you purchase this game from the "games on demand" section on the 360?
A: Yes, for $59.99 here. (I would recommend buying elsewhere because you'll save money.)
Q: Are there going to be anymore map packs for this game?
A: Unfortunately, no. Fourzerotwo confirmed this via Twitter here.
Note: All credit goes to their respected owner(s), I do not take any credit for any of the above information/images/videos etc.