• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I really hope they include online (and offline) split-screen like Halo 3. When I want to play some COD4 online with my brother, I have to borrow my friend's 360. Saved films (ala Halo 3, again) would be awesome as well because I've had some pretty epic moments while playing COD4 online.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I really hope they include online (and offline) split-screen like Halo 3. When I want to play some COD4 online with my brother, I have to borrow my friend's 360. Saved films (ala Halo 3, again) would be awesome as well because I've had some pretty epic moments while playing COD4 online.
It would also be nice if the split screen would actually take up the space not being used on the screen, honestly what the hell was Treyarch thinking when they made the split-screen like that? Oh right, I forgot, it's Treyarch.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
New gameplay footage out guys. Just came out recently too.

I'll update stuff on this thread as time goes on.

I also made the thread look a little more organized.

Have fun discussion. :)

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
ZOMG.

We get to flip Russians now! >:)<

Btw, if there is a level where we are shooting enemies underwater, then I will flip out.

The game is looking good!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
This game, from the little bit I've seen, looks like its going to have one heck of a campaign.

I just finished the original the other day, so I'm pretty excited about this one. ^_^

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
ZOMG.

We get to flip Russians now! >:)<

Btw, if there is a level where we are shooting enemies underwater, then I will flip out.

The game is looking good!
Possible harpoon gun as a weapon? :laugh:

This game, from the little bit I've seen, looks like its going to have one heck of a campaign.

I just finished the original the other day, so I'm pretty excited about this one. ^_^
The original's campaign was AWESOME. Have you beat it on veteran yet? :D

EDIT :

New Game Informer Offers First Look At Modern Warfare 2

http://kotaku.com/5249591/new-game-informer-offers-first-look-at-modern-warfare-2

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Possible harpoon gun as a weapon? :laugh:

The original's campaign was AWESOME. Have you beat it on veteran yet? :D

EDIT :

New Game Informer Offers First Look At Modern Warfare 2

http://kotaku.com/5249591/new-game-informer-offers-first-look-at-modern-warfare-2
OMG thanks for the find F8AL!!! I was waiting anxiously for the next GI with MW2 on it.

BTW: I recently changed my xbox live account due to various reasons. I'll give you the info on Friday when I can get back on xbox. :)

Puddin

Smash Lord
I'd like to know what the achievements are going to be early on, if I have to rage one more time because of a Vet. achievement...I'm going to rage, but as long as they don't touch Multiplayer achievements I'll be fine...**** Multiplayer achievements.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to know what the achievements are going to be early on, if I have to rage one more time because of a Vet. achievement...I'm going to rage, but as long as they don't touch Multiplayer achievements I'll be fine...**** Multiplayer achievements.
They are probably going to be similar to those of the original. (Example: Beat the campaign on normal mode, beat the campaign on hardened/veteran mode, finish level one on veteran mode etc.)

And yeah, I hate multiplayer/online achievements as well. Most of the time, people boost for them.

Btw, I hate being the bearer of bad news but Modern Warfare 2 is not going to have co-op in the campaign.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/12/modern-warfare-2-intel-captured-in-latest-game-informer/

"A smattering of new revelations are covered, including the flat-out refusal of co-op play in story mode (said to break the narrative experience). Additionally, Captain "Soap" MacTavish returns, bringing with him distinctly more open-ended gameplay, and a significantly fleshed out "special forces" mode (one that will mimic and expand upon the final "Mile High Club" airplane battle in CoD4)."

I'm disappointed that there will not be a co op mode but I'm hoping that they will have a theater mode (save epic moments in multiplayer) and online split screen (ala Halo 3)

EDIT : First 5 pages of the Modern Warfare 2 info in the latest GI (Game Informer)

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...ern-warfare-2-info-imageshack-links/242063/#1

EDIT 2 : The June 2009 cover of GI

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200905/N09.0511.1318.40671.htm

EDIT 3 : More information

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...ern-warfare-2-info-imageshack-links/242063/#1

6th post : "Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh)."

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
*Steps into a fail-puddle* No co op? Treyarch managed to pull it off without hindering the story. Honestly, the only games I enjoy without co op are RPG'S, otherwise, I'll give the campaign 2 runs at max.

Especially since I'm not an achievement-*****.

Edit: Special Forces Mode makes me happy:). Maybe it's like R6: Vegas' Terrorist Hunt mode.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Jesus Christ F8AL...

I don't know what to add to the front page. lol

Thanks a bunch for all the info. I'll try hard to post the important stuff.

I'm sad that there will be no co-op, but I can't WAIT to see what they have done with the multiplayer. THAT is where the juicy stuff will be. :)

EDIT: Ok. Most of the juicy stuff is added. If I missed anything important plz tell.

I really want to see this new special forces mode in action! Sounds insanely fun!

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
Awwwwwww...

No co-op. :(

Man I was really getting pumped for having co-op too. I guess my brother and I will be taking turns on the campaign. :(

Puddin

Smash Lord
Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.
Well if they can eliminate infinitely respawning enemies, it just MIGHT make up for the lack of Co-Op, taking away infinitely respawning enemies would remove the "luck" factor from playing on Veteran that everyone complained about (or at least I did...)

Uhm...why the enemies ? Don't we deserve customizable weapons?

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.
That's nice.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
@ Puddin

COD4's campaign mode on veteran wasn't that hard. Only certain levels make you weep. And infinite spawning enemies is to stop the player from hiding like a girl from far away. It forces you to advance. If you want a game which is easy on the hardest mode, play Halo 3. (legendary mode was a joke IMO)

EDIT : And yes I do have 1000/1000 GS in COD4.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
@ Puddin

COD4's campaign mode on veteran wasn't that hard. Only certain levels make you weep. And infinite spawning enemies is to stop the player from hiding like a girl from far away. It forces you to advance. If you want a game which is easy on the hardest mode, play Halo 3. (legendary mode was a joke IMO)

EDIT : And yes I do have 1000/1000 GS in COD4.
Not on Cortana...

That was the only level I could not beat by myself. I had to have one of my friends playing with me throughout the whole level.

The last one was pretty easy though.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hmmm CoD 7 eh? Not interested atm.

Lets try to keep the discussion on MW2, cause Treyarch won't ever be as epic as Infinity Ward tbh.

Puddin

Smash Lord
**** yeah! Captain Price? Win.

Wonder if it's based on the events before or after 4. Awesome if he survived the end of that game.
Captain Price has been in almost every CoD Game, the only difference is that this one is an actual "sequel" sequel instead of just another installment that follows its own story in the series.

Plus, if Seven IS in production, what happened to 6?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Captain Price has been in almost every CoD Game, the only difference is that this one is an actual "sequel" sequel instead of just another installment that follows its own story in the series.

Plus, if Seven IS in production, what happened to 6?
People consider WaW as "Call of Duty 5" (came after COD4) and MW2 is considered to be "Call of Duty 6". Even tho they were never officially numbered, people just label them as those numbered games. You don't see those other CoD games as numbers do you? (i.e. Call of Duty Big Red One)

Puddin

Smash Lord
People consider WaW as "Call of Duty 5" (came after COD4) and MW2 is considered to be "Call of Duty 6". Even tho they were never officially numbered, people just label them as those numbered games. You don't see those other CoD games as numbers do you? (i.e. Call of Duty Big Red One)
Big Red One was CoD 2, just on a different system, and if any of the spin-offs had been considered cannon to the franchise then the current number would have been much higher than it is now.

I know cannon is a bit trivial in a series with no relative story holding each game together besides WWII, but obviously portable spin-offs didn't add to the number.

I'm just saying, the official titles of the CoD games that weren't numbered, even when considered by fans as the next installment and therefore the next number in the franchise, did not add to the current number. So it's kind of weird that IW would drop CoD, and then Treyarch would call theirs CoD7.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Good lord, I am going to wet myself in anticipation for this game.

If Soap dies I don't think I'll be able to take it. First Griggs, then Gaz and *sniff* Captain Price so far from home...no one knowing that they sacrificed themselves for the lives of millions....:(

But anyway, this game's gonna be AWESOME!

Puddin

Smash Lord
He better not pass out again. He's already proven to regenerate heath!
If you don't know that's Soap. He's back..and as a Captain
So that's the guy we've been playing as. I suppose it doesn't really matter, we never see his face anyway we just kind of feel like another face in the crowd.

But still, he looks pretty Hardcore, like he's getting ready to wrestle a bear or something.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yea I didn't think Soap looked that cool tbh. lol

It seems like IW is really going all out with the campaign this time, which is awesome.

I just hope they don't slack off with the multiplayer at all, cause that's where a lot of people will be at.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
IW dropped the "Call of Duty" title from "Modern Warfare 2" because everyone knows that Treyarch is milking the series for all it's worth. (i.e. The GH series, oh boy GH Van Helen! Why not release DLC packs with their songs instead of making a WHOLE NEW GAME?)

Also, alot of people were getting tired of playing WWII games anyways (I was sick of WWII games after CoD3, thank you very much) but Treyarch felt the need to continue and make another WWII game while CoD MW went in a whole new direction which many people liked. Most people like COD4 over WaW anyways (in terms of both campaign and multiplayer) but I am not here to start a debate, this is just my own personal opinion so if you like WaW over MW, good for you. It has good things about it, like the first CoD to have Co-op.

I was really impressed with MW1's campaign mode, I beat it so many times lol. I beat it on normal first, then hardened then veteran. I haven't done the "arcade mode" of it yet. The MHC took me forever to beat on Veteran mode lol!

The multiplayer is where MW1 really shined IMO. The whole "perks system" really made it different from your other shooters (i.e. Halo 3) and it won me over. I much prefer CoD4 over Halo 3 now anyways. :)

Oh and who says that Captain Price is dead? For all we know, that russian medic could have revived him and then he could have been air lifted and transported to a hospital and fixed up.

And wouldn't it be great if the character who died of the nuclear bomb actually lived and makes a guest appearance in MW2? I forgot his name, haven't played MW1's campaign in a while.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Also, alot of people were getting tired of playing WWII games anyways (I was sick of WWII games after CoD3, thank you very much) but Treyarch felt the need to continue and make another WWII game while CoD MW went in a whole new direction which many people liked. Most people like COD4 over WaW anyways (in terms of both campaign and multiplayer) but I am not here to start a debate, this is just my own personal opinion so if you like WaW over MW, good for you. It has good things about it, like the first CoD to have Co-op.
Since World At War was really the back up game if MW1 fails, there's a reason why it was WWII. But then I like both MW and W@W.
Oh and who says that Captain Price is dead? For all we know, that russian medic could have revived him and then he could have been air lifted and transported to a hospital and fixed up.
It would be total awesome if Price was your C.O(Commanding Officer)

And wouldn't it be great if the character who died of the nuclear bomb actually lived and makes a guest appearance in MW2? I forgot his name, haven't played MW1's campaign in a while.
Jackson was his name..I think.

Also any one noticed Soap's cliche eye scar? I wonder how he got that.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Also any one noticed Soap's cliche eye scar? I wonder how he got that.
Probably got it wrestling a bear with that hardcore look on his face. Just got my GI with the MW2 article today, not sure how you have wide-open gameplay with an on the rails story. Whatever.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
You see the Russian guy giving CPR to him and then smacking the ground in frustration. I'd say he's dead and if they brought him back it would ruin the impact of the ending

Oh God, no. That also would completely ruin the message of that part of the game.

Puddin

Smash Lord
You see the Russian guy giving CPR to him and then smacking the ground in frustration. I'd say he's dead and if they brought him back it would ruin the impact of the ending
Agreed, too bad this is an actual sequel with a story related to a previous installment, otherwise they probably would have just brought Price back to life like they always do.

Also here's a little tid bit I found from the CoD Wiki on Captain Price

"If you look to your left while being taken care of by Sgt. Kamarov, you will see that the Russian medic slams his fist on Captain Price´s chest, a maneuver called precordial thump, which is administered only once if ventricular fibrillation is witnessed with an electrocardiogram monitor, before CPR is started and not afterwards. Therefore it has to be assumed that Captain Price died on that bridge, with the Russian medic slamming his chest in despair, instead of performing advanced or even basic life support as taught today."

Darkslash

Smash Master
Here's a weapon list so far from the CoD wiki.
* AUG (definite, seen with scope) YES
* FAMAS (definite, seen with red dot sight) HELL YEA
* UMP (definite, seen with red dot sight) w00t
* Glock 22 (or some other Glock variant, definite) broken handgun is broken? (If its the GLOCK 18 prepare for screaming n00bs
* KRISS Super V Vector SMG (definite, seen with no attachment and possibly seen with suppressor) Broken SMG is broken? I wonder how the damage will balance out seeing this gun has little recoil
* M4 (or some other AR-15 variant with a sliding stock, definite, seen with just a suppressor in one part, ACOG and Grenade Launcher together in another) Meh
* M16 (or some other AR-15 variant with a solid stock, seen on cover art, highly probable, seen with a red dot sight) If its still broken :mad: and :laugh:
* AK-103 (or some other modernized AK-47 variant, definite, seen with red dot sight) I think the Russians will get the AK-103 and the militia the AK-47
* Dragunov (definite, seen with sniper scope)
* RPD (definite)
* M21 (highly probable, seen with sniper scope)
* MP5 (possibly the MP5K variant, definite) Maybe both?
* M1911 (definite) The legacy continues
* Shield (definite) THIS IS RUSSIA
Comments in bold.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
"All this week, leading up to the Eastern Conference Finals on May 24th there are 15 second ads for the World Premiere gameplay trailer of Modern Warfare 2.

Thursday, May 21st -

GTTV on Spike TV will be showing a sneak preview of the full trailer on their show and reminding you to be on the look out on May 24th for the full trailer to hit. Their sneak peak will have some exclusive scenes from the full trailer & will remind you to check out the full version on May 24th.

Sunday, May 24th -

This is when it all goes down. If you're watching the Eastern Conference Finals you'll get the first look at Modern Warfare 2 gameplay which tells you to go to ModernWarfare2.com for the full unedited trailer.

Immediately following that, ModernWarfare2.com will be updated with the glorious full & unedited version of the first gameplay trailer for Modern Warfare 2. THIS IS THE ONE TO WATCH!

I just wanted to make sure you all we're up to speed with what to expect and what to be on the look out for this week! See you May 24th!"

http://forums.infinityward.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33286

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Tomorrow is the day the full trailer is released! Too bad I can't catch the channel it'll be on : "TNT" (sports?), oh well it'll be on youtube, gametrailers and modernwarfare2.com anyways.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
New MW2 commercial coming on TNT soon!
Expect the best trailer we've had yet!

I'll have the trailer on the front page asap.

EDIT: HAWTNESS!!!

LINK TO THE EPIC TRAILER ON FRONT PAGE NOW!!!

Top Bottom