• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New MW2 commercial coming on TNT soon!
Expect the best trailer we've had yet!

I'll have the trailer on the front page asap.
I'm very excited for it. I hope it's as intense and awesome looking at the first MW's trailer.

Btw, I got the Game Informer which has the MW2 article in it. Looks so epic.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
Omg I came on just in time. :o

Awesome trailer dude! Can't wait for this game now!

edit- Watching it for a 3rd time, is that really a snowmobile level that I see? :o

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Omg I came on just in time. :o

Awesome trailer dude! Can't wait for this game now!

edit- Watching it for a 3rd time, is that really a snowmobile level that I see? :o
I died of happiness after seeing the trailer. It looks so flipping epic.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Bumps topic - Reason : Possible New Information*

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362863

"So the Dutch videogame magazine Power Unlimited is seemingly the first mag in the world with a thorough hands on preview of Modern Warfare 2. Without wasting anymore of your time, here's the gist of it:

Singleplayer:
- To handle the pressure, Infinity Ward put up a selective filter on community feedback, and at some point simply decided: "this is how the game is going to be."
- Both bullets and grenades now have realistic physics. Bullets will ricochet off walls and grenades will realistically fall down stairs.
- It is now possible to hold a handgun in one hand and a knife in the other, comparable to how Solid Snake holds them together in MGS3 and 4.
- There will most probably be an underwater level, since a heavily armed Navy Seal diver was shown off (as in the trailer).
- One of the levels is called 'International Cyber Space Lab'. Will CoD go into space, or is this some derelict Russian missile base?
- Bullettime is featured in the game, but will only be triggered at key points. It's not some super power which you can activate with a press of a button.
- More innocent bystanders and civilians will be present in the warzones, and though it isn't your mission, you wont be punished if you shoot them down.
- Every time you finish a level, a Challenge will be unlocked. These challenges are comparable to Horde Mode from Gears 2, only with a time element added to it. The faster you kill everyone, the higher your rank will become.
- You can play the Challenges in split screen and they will most probably be playable online as well.
- New weapons will be introduced (while some others will be dropped), and since you're part of Task Force 121, you will have access to the most advanced weaponry available.
- One example of such an advanced weapon is a gun equipped with a heartbeat sensor, which you will use in the 'snow level' to detect enemies from dozens of feet away.
- Existing weapons are completely remodelded and as such are much more detailed this time around. For example, a scope can get smudged while a red dot sight will dissappear when you aren't targeting anything.
- You can destroy much more of your environment. For example, you can shoot at a firefighters pump which will cause a huge geiser to errupt, blocking part of your sight.
- Another example: you can shoot at a gas station, which not only causes an explosion, but the gasline will then flail around like crazy while flames erupt from it.

<!!level spoilers start here!!>
- The 'snow level' takes place somewhere in Kazakhstan and is called 'Cliffhanger'.
- The level starts off with climbing a ridge which, from their description, sounds mostly scripted, though you do the climbing yourself by pressing the triggers.
- General MacTavish makes a return and is featured in this first level.
- Once you've climbed up the ridge, you will make a trek through the snow, while your sight is slightly blocked due to falling snow, so you'll have to make use of your weapons' heartbeat sensor.
- This level is described as an infiltration mission, where you have to use stealth to advance, comparable to Ghillies in the Mist from the first game.
- After a couple of stealth kills and the placement of several explosives, you get caught and are forced to trigger the explosions early. Now **** hits the fan and all hell breaks loose in true Call of Duty fare.
- During the huge firefight, with soldiers, helicopters and jets all over the place, you make your escape on the well known snowmobile, racing downhill while fighting off pursuers.

- The 'Brazil level' takes place in Favela, a shanty town in Rio de Janeiro.
- Level starts out with you sitting in a car when suddenly you get fired upon.
- You are forced to leave the vehicle, as your driver got shot and bullets are still flying all over the place.
- Your mission here is to chase down some guy while not killing him, so it's a capture mission.
- Loads of stuff happening in this level too: civilians screaming and running away, exploding cars, dead bodies everywhere, it's utter chaos.
- After shooting the target in the leg, the demo ends, which is because they haven't finished the level yet.
- Infinity Ward now uses texture streaming, which enables them to construct much bigger levels. They show this off by zooming out of the Favela level.
- The lighting is greatly improved, with much more subtle details everywhere.
- The entire level is described as having loads of detail, with lots of shacks everywhere and alleys going in every direction, as well as newspapers blowing in the wind.
- The developer hints to Favela being a multiplayer map as well.

- A third level takes place in the desert.
- You drive off to a cliff, which you will rapel down from.
- After this, you will enter a cave and fight underground.
- The scene in the cave strongly resembles the scene from the Iron Man movie where Tony Stark constructed his first suit, which is something the developer was shooting for intentionally.
- The cave consists of a seemingly endless amount of corridors, and numerous large rooms.
<!!level spoilers end here!!>

Multiplayer:
- A couple new multiplayer modes will be introduced, but they wont be revealed until after E3. All modes are completely new and have never been featured in any other game.
- New perks will be introduced.
- The riot shield will be a perk. It will be possible to carry the shield with two people, while a third shoots from behind it's cover.

There's also numerous screens in the magazine, but it's basically all scenes from the recently released trailer."

Puddin

Smash Lord
*Bumps topic - Reason : Possible New Information*

- Both bullets and grenades now have realistic physics. Bullets will ricochet off walls and grenades will realistically fall down stairs.
- It is now possible to hold a handgun in one hand and a knife in the other, comparable to how Solid Snake holds them together in MGS3 and 4.

- New weapons will be introduced (while some others will be dropped), and since you're part of Task Force 121, you will have access to the most advanced weaponry available.
- One example of such an advanced weapon is a gun equipped with a heartbeat sensor, which you will use in the 'snow level' to detect enemies from dozens of feet away.
Because I took the time to notice a grenade falling down the stairs...

What exactly is the purpose of having a Knife/Handgun combo? Besides looking cool, the CoD guys can perform their melee faster than you can say "I no, someone is about to stab me"

Most advanced weaponry, even though the enemies can customize their weapons but you can't.

Sounds like it's shaping up nicely.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
UPDATE : Two map packs will launch FIRST on Xbox Live.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/modern-warfare-2-map-packs-hitting-xbox-live-first/

"Modern Warfare 2 has officially joined the somewhat exclusive Microsoft DLC club. Infinity Ward's relentless first-person shooter will offer downloadable map packs (duh!), the first two of which will launch first on Xbox Live. The news came via Microsoft's E3 press, where Microsoft's John Schappert was keen to emphasize that the Xbox 360 version would lead the way in Modern Warfare 2's online component."

Gameplay clip : http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50040.html

Looks intense. Especially the ice pick climbing. Also note the "in the interest of time" part...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Sucks to hear that PS3 will be getting the short end of the stick =[ I sold my Wii to avoid such mishaps lol

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd like to take this bump as a chance to apologize for not keeping this thread up to date. Despite the fact that hardly anyone seems to want to comment on the game :p, I'll make sure I work harder to update you guys with as much info as I can. As long as I know people are using the thread for information, I will be happy.

Anyway, I made some changes to the thread (the most notable one is the change of the title, so bye bye call of duty). The best MW2 footage is out now thanks to E3, so make sure you check it out!

Oh yea, in case I die for some unknown reason, F8AL will be in charge of the thread >_>

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Infinity Ward backs away from Call of Duty subscription rumors

"With rumors pointing to a Call of Duty subscription service under consideration at Activision Blizzard, developer Infinity Ward hopes to remove itself from the idea as much as possible. The company's community manager, Robert Bowling, noted on the developer's forum, "This rumor has absolutely nothing to do with Infinity Ward or our games, including Modern Warfare 2. We would never introduce such a system for Modern Warfare 2 so don't worry. Multiplayer will always be equal and free for everyone as always."

The survey, allegedly sent out by Activision, asked "how likely" players would be to purchase or subscribe to a system that provides "new in-game content like map packs and betas," and "team-management services." It appears Infinity Ward's statement doesn't overrule the rumors completely -- Bowling appears to be addressing pay-to-play multiplayer more than anything -- but it's good to see such rapid response to a concerned community. "

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/18/infinity-ward-backs-away-from-call-of-duty-subscription-rumors/

I for one, would not pay for this. 360 owners, already have to pay for Xbox LIVE...why on earth would we want to pay another fee on-top of the standard Xbox LIVE Gold Membership fee?

EDIT : Thanks to "The Real Gamer" for updating this thread! Better late than never eh? Haha. And yeah it sucks how not that many people want to comment on this game...

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
OMG the gameplay looks amazing! The same as CoD4 but w/ some better tweaks and stuff. The guns looked awesome too.

I'm also pumped that the AK47 is back. :)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
OMG the gameplay looks amazing! The same as CoD4 but w/ some better tweaks and stuff. The guns looked awesome too.

I'm also pumped that the AK47 is back. :)
I'm just glad that the M16 is back. I hope it's still a 1 burst kill with stopping power. ;)

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
I'm just glad that the M16 is back. I hope it's still a 1 burst kill with stopping power. ;)
Where did you see an M16 at? I looked at the E3 video and I didn't see one anywhere.

Now that I think about it... I didn't see a P90 anywhere either.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Where did you see an M16 at? I looked at the E3 video and I didn't see one anywhere.

Now that I think about it... I didn't see a P90 anywhere either.
http://forums.infinityward.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34838&hilit=*UPDATED*+Confirmed+weapons+w/+pics

Both the M16 and the P90 are back! I for one, am happy but n00bs/"pros" are complaining on how both those weapons are "cheap" and take "no" skill. (they are both in the game, get over it) We all know that 99% of all of the MW2 suggestions on the Twitter account are made by people who are bad at the game and want anything which kills them to be nerfed. I hope they don't make MW2 into another WaW...(vehicles.....*shudders*)

i hope MW2 requires skill. then again COD4 required little :p
COD4 required skill....at least it requires more than Halo 3 where all you do is rush the power weapons and camp with them. *holds up +9,001 flame shield*

If u are even HALF as good as this kid, then I guess you have the right to say that, however, I highly doubt u aren't. Remember this is just ONE of his vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpt0UHx2904&feature=PlayList&p=A419D7C528CD2F7C&index=1
**** that guy is a BEAST! My highest skill streak in COD4 is 17 and I got that in TDM on Wetworks and I died by a random grenade...cause Wetworks is the worst MP in the game...IMO...

The AK-47 is a good weapon! You just need bandolier on it cause it only has like 60 bullets? (I think?)

Darkslash

Smash Master
At this point of time I can see why there can be no MW2 on the Wii.

The Conduit

So far the Conduit has every thing more than World At War. Also there's a 4 month gap between the conduit and both games use modern weaponry. If MW2 looks watered down possibly no one would buy it due to the fact that the Conduit looks better. Also if the CoD name isn't on it then no one would recognize it except fans. The possible Lack of Voice Chat and game modes could be a factor as well.

To be honest Mw2 doesn't seem like a good idea on the Wii...CoD:Vietnam on the other hand...

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

The Conduit

So far the Conduit has every thing more than World At War. Also there's a 4 month gap between the conduit and both games use modern weaponry. If MW2 looks watered down possibly no one would buy it due to the fact that the Conduit looks better. Also if the CoD name isn't on it then no one would recognize it except fans. The possible Lack of Voice Chat and game modes could be a factor as well.

To be honest Mw2 doesn't seem like a good idea on the Wii...CoD:Vietnam on the other hand...
Or because the Wii has bad graphics. Infinity Ward probably doesn't want to water/dumb down their game because it would take away from the game experience and lower the quality of the game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

The Conduit

Why is everyone so interested in the next CoD being Vietnam? Imo that would just be another step backwards from Modern Warfare 2. Just like how I felt WaW was from Modern Warfare 1.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Or because the Wii has bad graphics. Infinity Ward probably doesn't want to water/dumb down their game because it would take away from the game experience and lower the quality of the game.
I think I said that in the form of

Darkslash said:
If MW2 looks watered down possibly no one would buy it due to the fact that the Conduit looks better
If your engine isn't built up from the ground for the Wii, no chance you can have your game looking good.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Why is everyone so interested in the next CoD being Vietnam? Imo that would just be another step backwards from Modern Warfare 2. Just like how I felt WaW was from Modern Warfare 1.
WaW was a step backwards in the series. Modern Warfare was the first game in the CoD series to go in a new direction : not WW2. But then Treyarch felt the need to go back to WW2...

I'm just glad that Infinity Ward has already moved away from the CoD series and "jumped from the burning ship" because the CoD series is turning into the GH series...really bad.

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Halo 3:ODST has nothing on MW2 but unfortunately it will sell way more copies than MW2 because more people know about Halo and less people know about MW2. It's because the "Call of Duty" title is missing...the only way they could fix that is if they have a "From the makers of Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare" sticker on the box.

And PC shooters are good and all but I still like my console shooters better. :D

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I have a question, has dismemberment(ala WAW) been confirmed? I know they said something about "no dismemberment" but it could have been targeted towards the E3 demo, since they were being interviewed while playing it. I don't remember the context in which they said it though.

There's a terrible debate going on at the xbox.com forums for MW2 and these people have HORRIBLE arguments. "No dismemberment to preserve disc space," when I bring up the fact that WAW ran at 60 fps AND included some very realistic ****, they start coming up with illogical fallacies because they're choked.

I love this argument, " Oh, no gore because the developers are paying respect to those who have fallen." Immediately, my brain goes: HUH?!?! Because KILLING each other in the game, whether there was gore or not is NOT disrespecting the fallen according to your ****ty logic?

TERRIBLE stuff on those forums, stay away if you have any cardiovascular problems!

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet
Xbox gamers seem to generally be less intelligent and capable of viable arguments over any topic. You would think that 13 year old Halo3 wanna-be pros could concoct legitimate points :)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't argue with people over Xbox LIVE anymore because it's a waste of my time and accomplishes nothing. Most of the responses are basically insults, racist remarks and jokes about your mother/sister/dog etc.

Thank goodness for the Xbox LIVE party system now, I don't have to hear this crap anymore when I play games on LIVE.

Oh and 13 year old kids aren't generally smart. When you beat them at Halo 3, they accuse you of hacking, cheating, camping etc and then proceed to insult you. I never say "good game" anymore when I beat someone because most of the time they get mad at me. o_O

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yea I agree with you guys Xbox does have a lot of a holes. Gears of War is the worst out of most of them though in my opinion. Every game where you do good you get blamed for being the "host."

I got so annoyed when I pulled off an amazing blindfire, and a kid replied by saying "the only reason you got that shot was because you were host."

Host or not it was an amazing blindfire. :(

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Well what I meant was xbox.com as in the MW2 forums. Anyway, is it just me or does the AK47 have less recoil now?

That baby looked so sweet in the demo.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ahhh where would we all be without you dude? Good stuff. I'll post it on the front page.

Anyway, is it just me or does the AK47 have less recoil now?

That baby looked so sweet in the demo.
I noticed that too. The AK47 was my best gun in CoD4, so I hope it hasn't changed too much. I'm loving its new look though. :D

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
the game looks sweet.i like sneaking around in the snow
That level looks awesome, can't wait to play it! I love it how you use the little motion (heat?) sensor screen on your gun to dodge/engage enemies! Gonna be fun to first sneak past them and then replay the level again and go rambo! (as in killing all of them if it is possible)

And your welcome "The Real Gamer"! Always a pleasure to help you out! :)

UPDATE :

Infinity Ward says 2 is the magic number for Modern Warfare co-op

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/23/infinity-ward-says-2-is-the-magic-number-for-modern-warfare-co-o/
http://kotaku.com/5301585/modern-warfare-2-co+op-sweet-spot-is-exactly-two

"When asked by Videogamer.com why Modern Warfare 2's co-op was limited to two players, spokesman Robert Bowling said, "Two player seemed to be the magic number for co-op. That's when it stayed really fun and intense without becoming a clusterf**k of things."

Top Bottom