• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Ballss

Smash Rookie
Probably the best desciption of Falcon is that he wobbles you in the air in to a rest. The combo game is too strong.

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Sup people!! , I always read and hear that metagame in melee is constantly evolving and that it has always been like that, so, what do you guys think have been most significant changes in Captain Falcon's metagame in the last six or seven years?

Bu$

HoC
Yo homies, i've been playing around against puff in 20XX and was thinking about playing around her ducking DD grabs and just her duck in general. Then i found something out pretty cool. You guys need to try this as well but it has worked for me every time. Try going a fast falled single hit nair while and then JC grab to whatever aerial you want. The single hit nair seems to pop her up regardless if shes ducking or not which leads to instant grab. Not sure if super great or not but try it out. I may look at implementing this into my puff matchups.

0Room

Smash Lord
Generally if you have a question about particulars involving %s it's in the Index thread somewhere

Last edited:

mysticfedora

do your f*cking sh*t and LET'S GO!
Generally if you have a question about particulars involving %s it's in the Index thread somewhere
0Room do you have a guide that can teach me how to do the semicircle pivoting technique as opposed to the flick and release one?
plas halp amm new

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about fthrow at mid percents on spacies to make them miss a tech?
It's not that good. I think every falcon player experimented with this at a lower intermediate level... Uthrow ftilt accomplishes the same but gets you more percent and you can mix up whether its upward downward or neutral ftilt as well as no ftilt for different timing and knockback. In any case, I would work on being able to cover multiple options off of the uthrow or dthrow tech chase via well placed aerials and regrabs.

yo you guys have any advice on recovering against falcos and escaping shield pressure? That whole match up f****s me up
For recovering high, learn to ledge cancel your upB lag on platforms into airdodge/waveland/double jump as well as deceptive drift back onto ledge.

For recovering low, learn to ledge tech dsmash/dair/fsmash. Riding a wall helps. If you're smart about controlling your aerial mobility as you reverse upB, you can even make them whiff sometimes.

Mix up high vs low recovery, but keep in mind that recovering high means they will probably have to bair you quite a few more times unless you're at a high percent due to falcon's high weight.

Tilt shield to throw off their shield pressure timing and pray for the shield grab. Or buffer roll. On occasion depending on how they space/ attempt to crossup, you might get out with WD OOS -> dash, but idk.

There's really only so much you can do out of position against falco. You're likely to take a ton of percent even if your response is optimal. Figure out how to reduce ending up offstage/in shield.

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
It's not that good. I think every falcon player experimented with this at a lower intermediate level... Uthrow ftilt accomplishes the same but gets you more percent and you can mix up whether its upward downward or neutral ftilt as well as no ftilt for different timing and knockback. In any case, I would work on being able to cover multiple options off of the uthrow or dthrow tech chase via well placed aerials and regrabs.

For recovering high, learn to ledge cancel your upB lag on platforms into airdodge/waveland/double jump as well as deceptive drift back onto ledge.

For recovering low, learn to ledge tech dsmash/dair/fsmash. Riding a wall helps. If you're smart about controlling your aerial mobility as you reverse upB, you can even make them whiff sometimes.

Mix up high vs low recovery, but keep in mind that recovering high means they will probably have to bair you quite a few more times unless you're at a high percent due to falcon's high weight.

Tilt shield to throw off their shield pressure timing and pray for the shield grab. Or buffer roll. On occasion depending on how they space/ attempt to crossup, you might get out with WD OOS -> dash, but idk.

There's really only so much you can do out of position against falco. You're likely to take a ton of percent even if your response is optimal. Figure out how to reduce ending up offstage/in shield.
Yo Uthrow Ftilt is the hidden truth tho.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. Finally got around to making an account. Its nice to meet you all. Ill be quite active from now on so I look forward to talking to everyone.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
alright guys i'm learning falcon and i have a good feel for him, but i'm not a 100% on what combos do to at what time, can anybody help with this?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
alright guys i'm learning falcon and i have a good feel for him, but i'm not a 100% on what combos do to at what time, can anybody help with this?
way too vague of a question, there are so many situations with DI mixups that could occur that it would be more conducive to you to just watch videos, play people, experiment, and figure out what works for you

for a general baseline though, if they are a fastfaller, tech-chase them to death with regrabs on reaction, knees/stomps on reads
if they are not a fast-faller, uthrow when they are above 30% into as many uairs as you can chain into knee

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
way too vague of a question, there are so many situations with DI mixups that could occur that it would be more conducive to you to just watch videos, play people, experiment, and figure out what works for you

for a general baseline though, if they are a fastfaller, tech-chase them to death with regrabs on reaction, knees/stomps on reads
if they are not a fast-faller, uthrow when they are above 30% into as many uairs as you can chain into knee
my b for the bad question but thanks for answering

Twinkles

Smash Lord
my b for the bad question but thanks for answering
no problem. also just want to encourage you to step up your question asking game, not necessarily stop asking questions
much better to ask bad questions than not ask at all

that said, vague questions are hard to answer in text and usually can be solved by just playing more. for example, when you've worked on your combo game enough to the point where you have the basic concept of how to combo people, you can start asking questions about more specific combo ****

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I wanna have a pocket falcon, I respect the **** outta this character and I wanna know, what is all the falcon specific tech I need to learn? I can already moonwalk, SHFFL, wavedash, waveland, and gentlemen. What am I missing? Also I wanna buy an emerald controller, since Isai used to play emerald, for falcon, and I wanna know what color controllers are good/bad for falcon?

Last edited:

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Anybody got any tips on how to practice techchasing without another player? CPUs seem to have to predictable of patterns for it to actually help.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Thx for that twinkles, I meant the timing bruh, don't get slick
the actual question when then be "how do i gentleman", and maybe you read magus's super awesome post but didn't get it. that's okay

so like, i generally just try to space my jabs out a little, little delay between the double jabs, a bigger delay between the jab and the knee. in the time i start the first jab, i usually hold a direction. this buffers walk/crouch after the gentleman so the moment i can tell i walk/crouch, it means the gentleman was successful. you can also substitute this with shield.

that's how i do it, try that and try fiddling with jab timings/buffer windows on cpu's until you get comfortable with it.

Top Bottom