• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

SSBF

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I think you should pick when to offensive or defensive, it's a very interesting way of faking out opponents.

:jigglypuffmelee:People can't BAIR it:jigglypuffmelee:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I want specifics tho, what should falcon do:
Vs Fox
Vs Falco
Vs Marth
Vs Sheik
Vs Peach
Vs Puff
Vs IC's
How is Falcon supposed to play for each individual match up that I just named? What are guarantee's on each character? How should I play if I am put in to sheild? All the specifics for offensive and defensive options

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
This is all very barebones, but it's something. To fully explain these matchups would take far too much time than I'm willing to put into a simple response, but here it is:

Vs All:
  • RUN
  • RUN FASTER
  • Make sure you're exploiting your movement options as much as possible, as that is one of Falcon's greatest strengths (utilizing all trajectories of jump, shield stops, pivots, dash-> WD, moonwalk, sticky walk, etc.)
  • Make sure you properly space/time your aerials (hit with the tips of your hitboxes/make sure you hit low on shield)
  • Stomp-> Knee
  • 0% Stomp-> Regrab
  • Stomp through platforms (Marth, Peach, Sheik, Falco/[Fox]) the other top tiers are too short (if they start crouching, mix up with fall through aerials/edge cancelled stomp-> aerial)
Vs Fox:
  • Tech Chase with up throw (check out Gravy's tech chase on spacies)
  • It's not hard to reaction tech chase with grab on spacies, way easier on Fox than Falco IMO
  • Space with Nair and Late/instant Uair
  • SDI shine towards stage when shined near ledge to snap to it, or in to try and force them to go the other direction when Wave Shining
  • You're usually waiting/baiting for an opening. Once you get it, tech chase/combo to death. Fox get's bludgeoned like mad, it's his only true weakness.
Vs Falco:
  • Tech chase is similar to Fox, but down throw at lower percents can help, it's preference really
  • Trades are almost always favorable
  • Early knees usually convert to stocks
  • Powershield laser-> nair if the laser hits them (have to call it usually, depends on spacing)
  • Space with toes of nair and late/instant Uair
  • Make sure your platform movement is solid, and are able to change your approach trajectories to respond to lasers
  • Raptor Boost goes under high lasers, nair goes over low lasers
  • Falco cannot defend his forehead, except with pivot utilt
  • Always be watching for utilt/bair
  • Ledge tech fsmash edge guards (it goes under the ledge, and it's almost impossible to sweetspot)
  • SDI out of pillar combos. This takes some finesse, but always be looking for escapes (edge cancel on platforms, anything to get you out of hitstun)
Vs Marth:
  • Give wide berth until you find an opening, Marth's range, and greatest strengths come from proper spacing
  • There are a large number of combos that you can pull out on Marth that well help you effectively 0 to death without too much difficulty (dthrow-> regrab-> dthrow-> SH nair-> regrab-> uthrow-> FJ instant uair-> falling uair-> knee) <-one example (pivot grabs help extend these combos more, and give you the tools to adapt to ambiguous DI)
  • nair leads to more nasty combos
  • Powershield Fsmash-> SH knee
  • 0% knee-> regrab
  • Raptor boost is not a bad response to a Marth in the air
  • carry across stage with uair/nair
  • Edge guard with Marth Killer/bair
  • If deciding between DIing in or out, keep Fsmash tipper range in mind. Sometimes it's better to just eat the non tippered Fsmash
Vs. Sheik:
  • Don't approach/keep moving to bait and understand habits
  • late/instant uair combos well into more uairs and other combos (similar in weight to Marth). When properly spaced it's safe on shield as frame perfect late uair is frame neutral, allowing you to dash away
  • When being tech chased: SDI jab resets up (between ~15-32%), mix up tech options, pray
  • You can punish ftilt's ending lag with super precise timing/spacing with uair
  • Tech chase her back, yours is better
  • Hold ledge to edge guard, remember that only the first part of her Up B has a hitbox. If she lands on stage, ledge hop reverse knee/stomp-> reverse knee
Vs Peach:
  • Don't let her pull turnips
  • stomp/knee dsmash
  • Don't challenge Dsmash on platforms from below
  • 0 to death (dthrow-> SH nair [first hit rising, second hit falling]-> regrab-> uthrow-> FJ instant uair-> falling uair-> knee) I believe, this is off the top of my head. Magus has a post where he goes pretty in depth on this combo
  • Watch for Dash Attack, it leads to her tech chase and many of her combos
  • edge guard by grabbing ledge at the right time if she's trying to sneak to the ledge with her parasol
  • If she is on ledge you can pressure as her double jump makes it very difficult to cover with a ledge hop aerial
  • Bair works well to wall her out
Vs Puff:
  • Space with Bair and Uair
  • Low single hit nair->grab on crouching Puff
  • Stay away from edges
  • Don't edge guard/just hold ledge and try to cover their recovery on stage, make them eat their jumps
  • once you get an opening, uair is usually a good option to rack up damage
  • sweet spot bair is a good kill move (around 80%)
  • SDI uthrow/utilt/uair away to avoid rest
  • Watch for duck under jab/grab to rest
  • Try to get under Puff
Vs IC's:
  • Knee
  • uthrow breaks them up for easy knee setups
  • If you can, eliminate Nana early (unless Popo's attempts to save her place them in more dangerous situations, then just punish their foolishness)
  • Cross up with Bair
  • Watch for desynchs, Falcon really messes them up when they abuse them too much
  • Don't get grabbed/make sure you properly space aerials
That's just a start.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
This is all very barebones, but it's something. To fully explain these matchups would take far too much time than I'm willing to put into a simple response, but here it is:

Vs All:
  • RUN
  • RUN FASTER
  • Make sure you're exploiting your movement options as much as possible, as that is one of Falcon's greatest strengths (utilizing all trajectories of jump, shield stops, pivots, dash-> WD, moonwalk, sticky walk, etc.)
  • Make sure you properly space/time your aerials (hit with the tips of your hitboxes/make sure you hit low on shield)
  • Stomp-> Knee
  • 0% Stomp-> Regrab
  • Stomp through platforms (Marth, Peach, Sheik, Falco/[Fox]) the other top tiers are too short (if they start crouching, mix up with fall through aerials/edge cancelled stomp-> aerial)
Vs Fox:
  • Tech Chase with up throw (check out Gravy's tech chase on spacies)
  • It's not hard to reaction tech chase with grab on spacies, way easier on Fox than Falco IMO
  • Space with Nair and Late/instant Uair
  • SDI shine towards stage when shined near ledge to snap to it, or in to try and force them to go the other direction when Wave Shining
  • You're usually waiting/baiting for an opening. Once you get it, tech chase/combo to death. Fox get's bludgeoned like mad, it's his only true weakness.
Vs Falco:
  • Tech chase is similar to Fox, but down throw at lower percents can help, it's preference really
  • Trades are almost always favorable
  • Early knees usually convert to stocks
  • Powershield laser-> nair if the laser hits them (have to call it usually, depends on spacing)
  • Space with toes of nair and late/instant Uair
  • Make sure your platform movement is solid, and are able to change your approach trajectories to respond to lasers
  • Raptor Boost goes under high lasers, nair goes over low lasers
  • Falco cannot defend his forehead, except with pivot utilt
  • Always be watching for utilt/bair
  • Ledge tech fsmash edge guards (it goes under the ledge, and it's almost impossible to sweetspot)
  • SDI out of pillar combos. This takes some finesse, but always be looking for escapes (edge cancel on platforms, anything to get you out of hitstun)
Vs Marth:
  • Give wide berth until you find an opening, Marth's range, and greatest strengths come from proper spacing
  • There are a large number of combos that you can pull out on Marth that well help you effectively 0 to death without too much difficulty (dthrow-> regrab-> dthrow-> SH nair-> regrab-> uthrow-> FJ instant uair-> falling uair-> knee) <-one example (pivot grabs help extend these combos more, and give you the tools to adapt to ambiguous DI)
  • nair leads to more nasty combos
  • Powershield Fsmash-> SH knee
  • 0% knee-> regrab
  • Raptor boost is not a bad response to a Marth in the air
  • carry across stage with uair/nair
  • Edge guard with Marth Killer/bair
  • If deciding between DIing in or out, keep Fsmash tipper range in mind. Sometimes it's better to just eat the non tippered Fsmash
Vs. Sheik:
  • Don't approach/keep moving to bait and understand habits
  • late/instant uair combos well into more uairs and other combos (similar in weight to Marth). When properly spaced it's safe on shield as frame perfect late uair is frame neutral, allowing you to dash away
  • When being tech chased: SDI jab resets up (between ~15-32%), mix up tech options, pray
  • You can punish ftilt's ending lag with super precise timing/spacing with uair
  • Tech chase her back, yours is better
  • Hold ledge to edge guard, remember that only the first part of her Up B has a hitbox. If she lands on stage, ledge hop reverse knee/stomp-> reverse knee
Vs Peach:
  • Don't let her pull turnips
  • stomp/knee dsmash
  • Don't challenge Dsmash on platforms from below
  • 0 to death (dthrow-> SH nair [first hit rising, second hit falling]-> regrab-> uthrow-> FJ instant uair-> falling uair-> knee) I believe, this is off the top of my head. Magus has a post where he goes pretty in depth on this combo
  • Watch for Dash Attack, it leads to her tech chase and many of her combos
  • edge guard by grabbing ledge at the right time if she's trying to sneak to the ledge with her parasol
  • If she is on ledge you can pressure as her double jump makes it very difficult to cover with a ledge hop aerial
  • Bair works well to wall her out
Vs Puff:
  • Space with Bair and Uair
  • Low single hit nair->grab on crouching Puff
  • Stay away from edges
  • Don't edge guard/just hold ledge and try to cover their recovery on stage, make them eat their jumps
  • once you get an opening, uair is usually a good option to rack up damage
  • sweet spot bair is a good kill move (around 80%)
  • SDI uthrow/utilt/uair away to avoid rest
  • Watch for duck under jab/grab to rest
  • Try to get under Puff
Vs IC's:
  • Knee
  • uthrow breaks them up for easy knee setups
  • If you can, eliminate Nana early (unless Popo's attempts to save her place them in more dangerous situations, then just punish their foolishness)
  • Cross up with Bair
  • Watch for desynchs, Falcon really messes them up when they abuse them too much
  • Don't get grabbed/make sure you properly space aerials
That's just a start.
Magus420? :D Thanks for all this

Twinkles

Smash Lord
magus420 indeed

Against Peach, it's actually a mixup at 0%. Peach can SDI a SH nair up and escape the 2nd hit, in which case you do FH nair instead, rising first hit, falling second hit, into either uair or regrab depending on her DI after the 2nd hit of nair.

B Link

Smash Lord
So I've slowly been getting into melee. Since I can't do the fancy technical stuff with fox & falco I've been maining Falcon/Marth. I watched Ken & Isai back in the day and pretty much copy their play style. Not like I'm anywhere near a true imitation though, lol.

One of these days I've got to learn how to moonwalk.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
So I've slowly been getting into melee. Since I can't do the fancy technical stuff with fox & falco I've been maining Falcon/Marth. I watched Ken & Isai back in the day and pretty much copy their play style. Not like I'm anywhere near a true imitation though, lol.

One of these days I've got to learn how to moonwalk.
Learn how to pivot. So much more useful. Not to say moonwalking doesn't have its uses, but pivots just feel SO GOOD. I feel like the true Falcon jollies come from slick movement. Combos are nice too.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm a peach/Luigi user that wants to pocket Falcon. I feel as if the Fox MU is a lot easier for him than it is for either of the two characters I have now. Any advice and/or general tips on how to use Falcon (basic combos to start with would work wonders too.)? Anything you gave would be appreciative.

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Does anybody know the percents where you can follow up after gentlemen's? Like gentlemen grabs, gentlemen knee, etc. I usually just react to how far the gentlemen sends them before I go for the grab

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm a peach/Luigi user that wants to pocket Falcon. I feel as if the Fox MU is a lot easier for him than it is for either of the two characters I have now. Any advice and/or general tips on how to use Falcon (basic combos to start with would work wonders too.)? Anything you gave would be appreciative.
index thread is the best place to start. lots of info on basics & mu specific stuff. fox is one of falcons worst mus so i dont know if picking him up as a counter pick is really gonna do you a whole lotta good.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Hi.
I was a marth main in melee, but I'm kinda in a bit of a limbo here. Tried fox, tried sheik, but they didn't work all that well. I'm too aggressive, love pressure, and I prefer getting a sick disrespect over getting some kind of lame shine spike or something. I found falcon and he fit so nicely.
What do you guys recommend for starting out? Any really good falcon videos of tournament play? There's so many, and I don't know where to start...any help would be appreciated.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
He missing a bunch of Gravy/Ghatzu sets from the CFL weeklies on Polarity's youtube channel. I think those sets are dope usually, but they're not majors or anything so I get it if they're not a part of the group.

Nonetheless, this **** is sick. Thanks dude

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
Started playing seriously again and finally broke through my mental block v Fox I think :D

Last edited:

3HUNA

Smash Rookie
Started playing seriously again and finally broke through my mental block v Fox I think. Was close to taking game 3/the set from Gravy in my CEO pool and making top 64 but still did pretty well and got 65th so pretty stoked I could pull that off with my Falcon (beat and outplaced some seriously good players). These boards seem dead man...hopefully I can make some more content and help change that
Congrats! It's good that Falcons are getting results not only at the top level of play but also at the mid level. As for the boards being dead, I personally don't post super often because I'm often just lurking, trying to read and sponge up as much information as possible. That being said, I really do enjoy the content that you've put out so far. I'm really trying to level up this summer and carve out a bit of a name for myself in the Saint Louis area, so I really do enjoy reading and getting different opinions on matchups or move utilities.

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
Is there any write up about reacting to spacie up b/full write up about covering spacie recovery options? I saw the sfat v wizzy set and blur casually referenced all of the "reactable angles" and it sounded like he was referencing something

Audos

Smash Apprentice
Is there any write up about reacting to spacie up b/full write up about covering spacie recovery options? I saw the sfat v wizzy set and blur casually referenced all of the "reactable angles" and it sounded like he was referencing something
I think what our crimson overlord was trying to say was that fox has reactable positions ("angles" as he called them were probably the angles they are from the ledge when they begin to firefox, bad phrasing likely on his part) to start his up-b. Normally for most characters you lose options the further away you choose to commit to covering these positions. With marth, for example, mew2king likes to preemptively jump off bair to turn around and cover them with backwards dairs. But for marth to do this he risks losing stage from an opponent fox quickly side-b'ing from certain locations instead. Thus those positions the fox up's are not reactable for marth, due to his limited horizontal movement.

Falcon on the other hand, if fast enough, can
cover much more options and react to much more of the up-b locations, which is what blur was trying to highlight. It requires very fast reactions, yes, but for somebody who is used to reacting to the subtle nuances of tech animations, the giant flaming up b is probably little problem.

Wizzy excels at a ton of very flowchart methods
to killing, and his edgeguards are almost certainly the best of the falcons. Whether or not you like the crazy swag style of s2j and n0ne, or the precise, clean style of the 20gx movement, I'd highly encourage falcons to look at the way Wizzy covers options offstage, like what spacings he is committing to actually jumping off and when he stays on stage and reacts. It's really impressive actually.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
This thread is dead, hopefully i get some sort of response. a Doc main just moved to my area from Florida and is demolishing everyone in my area. Can someone summarize the doc matchup for me?

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
This thread is dead, hopefully i get some sort of response. a Doc main just moved to my area from Florida and is demolishing everyone in my area. Can someone summarize the doc matchup for me?
in my (limited) experience, doc gets a majority of his big hits on falcon off of forcing missed techs and fsmashing or dsmashing, then following up with an edgeguard

so a big part of the matchup is learning when the doc can follow up with another uair juggle, and when you are able to tech

lightpressing for lcancel is important because then if doc stuffs your approach unexpectedly you dont miss the tech window (this is something i am still trying to implement lol)

i am by no means an expert in the MU, nor is this a complete rundown of the MU, but hopefully that can mitigate some of his KO potential

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
Thanks pimp. yeah thats how he has been been taking the majority of stocks off me, the missed techs to the edgeguard. Im getting closer to beating him and while he is the clear best in my area now, he actually told me Im his biggest threat lol. Soon.

Rachman

be water my friend

made this fun little image, barely played or practiced last year let alone worked on falcon stuff but I'd like to start again. this is just a fun little thing comparing an example of the lowest fox could go while still landing on stage from that angle vs just walk off weak knee. Some food for thought, I'd like to theorycraft a lot on edge guarding spacies and neutral vs them

edit: also worth noting is falco just ff off ledge and dj back to it does not seem to be able to go beneath a properly timed falcon utilt even if Falco does it as perfect as possible. Probably won't use much but worth keeping it mind because spacies who can't ledge dash confidently play very cautious on the ledge once you've punished LHDL once or twice

Last edited:

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Looking how @Wizzrobe plays C.Falcon, especially against M2k in the WTFox 2 , made me realize the huge room development C.Falcon possess, in the other hand,Wizz is practically a child and so gifted with him, I never saw a better C.Falcon after witnessing that game, I think C.Falcon is a successful choice for gifted people while I start believing that Wizzrobe is the chosen one, he has still a lot of room development, I even start suspecting that Wizzrobe sees his opponent's movements in a slow motion, which isn't a wonder, he's so precise with the grabs, he precisely runs though its opponent without even being touched mostly times, I mean C.Falcon is way faster than Fox, if possessing gifted reflexes beyond common developed standards, the chosen one, will someday reveal C.Falcon's full potential, 80% knee hit chances, a magnificent timing beyond understandings, etc...

I think I was in coma, thank you Wizzrobe, may you will transcend common limits.

Kodu02

Smash Rookie
The most straight forward way of explaining Falcon is that he intercepts you directly or mix up and gets half a stock or the rest of one.

Top Bottom