• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

D

Deleted member

yeah although i used to be good regardless at tech chasing falcos i got ****ty at it while getting really good vs fox

think i'll go look at some falcon vids for inspiration

legion598

Smash Ace
One of my biggest problems is auto pilot. Like u said it works out for me a lot of the time but against players who mix up their game a lot and who have impeccable spacing I feel that auto pilot is a terrible idea. Against players like that u really need to recognize patterns they fall into and at the same time make urself as unpredictable as possible. This is prbly most devastating against falco because if u go on auto pilot u react to lasers and other spacing tools incorrectly and then get shined and lose all ur stocks

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
having a longer techroll is irrelevant, what matters is the speed of the get up in place, or rather, the earliest frame at which a get up in place can be determined and whether they have time to queue a roll/spotdodge. even marth is fast enough to reactively chase a tech roll with almost anything he wants whether it be an aerial or grab...falcon is more than fast enough to reactively techchase all of his aerials on fox or falco's tech roll...isn't he?

I just can't understand what you guys are suggesting? how does a slightly longer roll make it any harder unless the roll itself is faster (covers more distance in less frames)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok, well while that makes sense to me i still don't see what you could be using that would be slow enough that it would be unable to hit on a reactive techchase...for marth, a falling dair might be hard to hit, but everything else is easily timable. falcon's dair can be done rising at most percents so I don't see why you can't reactively techchase any move you like

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
well no one is saying it's impossible, it's just harder

edit: falcon's dthrow is also affected by weight, so when throwing falco there is slightly more lagtime (idk what the official term is here) before you can start moving than there is for fox

edit2: looks like it's ~1 extra frame that you are stuck in lag when dthrowing falco vs fox

S l o X

Smash Champion
because we're human and . . . just play vs fox long enough and transfer to playing vs falco and you'll see the difference. theory crafting really doesn't help in these situations.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
i find puff difficult to grab. she can crouch and you whiff and she is just generally in the air a lot

edit: dthrow--> knee good ofc, but fishing for grabs seems more dangerous in this mu than most
yeah, getting grab-happy is a bad idea, but there are good opportunities to grab to look out for

the one i have the most success with is grabbing out of a tech-chase/roll-read
its part of why i like dair in this matchup, cuz when jiggs hits the ground, if she doesnt tech shes ***ed because its easy as pie to chase her out of any roll
if she techs, theres still a good chance you can chase her on reactions iirc

Twinkles

Smash Lord
too bad s2j got worse at falco/wes got really, REALLY good in a short amount of time lol

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Wow so many johns and very productive matchup opinions.

Falcon most manueverable character in the game. Super dash (i can chase you down as fox, but for a price) you can also jump across FD. Other characters with this same horizontal get scooped. you guys are the hero in every matchup,crowds got ur back.

Captain Jack vs Isaiah at Apex is a deep video...

Isaiah showed he didnt have to approach if he didnt want to, even if he was down, even if the crowd hungered for it. Until you get hit by something solid, you have the most freedom in the game. Keep yourself safe, Keep ur falcon **** at the ready, and most importantly,dont make your approach direct and personal. That **** makes falcon free as ****.

PS. really cool when i have to play falcons who want sympathy for being bad with a sweet character. Thanks for filling the pot.

:phone:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
where did u get this idea of me getting good in a short amount of time? im confused
cuz all i see is ur tournament vids and from what i see, you got 3-0ed by johnny at WGF, then a few months later, i see u drop, like 1 set to johnny out of five or something

tl;dr u look like ur really getting better to me
but i guess i was being dumb
sorry man

S l o X

Smash Champion
mango is the best falcon vs falco in the world :awesome:

harriet needs to come back so i can play him @ no johns. the last time we played was really close.

Violence

Smash Lord
I've started getting to the point where my main and secondary are too good for most new players learning to L cancel, so I decided to pick up Falcon.

I can kinda see why you Falcon mains tend to ***** the most. He's quite fragile.

But he teaches so many useful things. He stresses technical consistency(reactive L canceling is hard to develop without a fast faller), and rewards a good understanding of your opponent.

Tech chasing with Falcon, for example, is so much fun compared to doing it with Samus, because you can literally cover every single option, and there's a lot of times when your correct read or timely reaction turns into a sick combo. Also your mobility is insane.

S l o X

Smash Champion
did harriet enter that time @ no johns?
Yea. Game 1, I believe I won fox dittos then went Falcon (the second tournament i went falcon and got *****) and got ***** two games? Then he had to leave so I got a bye in the bracket instead. ):

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I've started getting to the point where my main and secondary are too good for most new players learning to L cancel, so I decided to pick up Falcon.

I can kinda see why you Falcon mains tend to ***** the most. He's quite fragile.

But he teaches so many useful things. He stresses technical consistency(reactive L canceling is hard to develop without a fast faller), and rewards a good understanding of your opponent.

Tech chasing with Falcon, for example, is so much fun compared to doing it with Samus, because you can literally cover every single option, and there's a lot of times when your correct read or timely reaction turns into a sick combo. Also your mobility is insane.
You have made a very wise decision to pick up Falcon.

D

Deleted member

don't like falcon dittos that much

but if really want to win i will...

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Wait I thought for the most part that most Falcon's thought Fox was his hardest matchup. Like half the people in the last page or so seem to be saying its Falco and I thought he wasn't as bad as Fox...

Windrose

Smash Lord
Most of the time, you can't cover every option as falcon. Playing as falcon is not about covering every option. It's about adapting, reading, and taking risks. It's about playing smart.

You can't tech chase re grab forever fast fallers, there are all these little things good people do like sliding off the edge to escape.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Yea falcon is all about playing with your opponent and avoiding their stuff until you can get some hard read. When you get a hard read with falcon it is almost guaranteed stock. Otherwise it is jsut figuring out what youre opponent is trying to do.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Wait I thought for the most part that most Falcon's thought Fox was his hardest matchup. Like half the people in the last page or so seem to be saying its Falco and I thought he wasn't as bad as Fox...
Falco's lasers and ability to lock falcon down, as well as his vicious combo's make it a bit worse matchup than fox. Pretty certain s2j/hax / the best falcon's agree on this.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Falco is definitely harder but high level foxes are equally as hard. They both **** falcon.

On top of the lasers, falco's combos are very automatic and effective.

Still, I'd rather fight space animals then some fat woman with an umbrella that can defy gravity and deal combo damage by pressing down c.

taylosun

Smash Cadet
Falco is definitely harder but high level foxes are equally as hard. They both **** falcon.

On top of the lasers, falco's combos are very automatic and effective.

Still, I'd rather fight space animals then some fat woman with an umbrella that can defy gravity and deal combo damage by pressing down c.

lol. Thought that was going to be a real life story for a second.

ORLY

Smash Master
there are so many falcon videos i watch thinking, "man, if i were this guy i would've done X or chose not to do Y"

that doesn't happen often with johnny

you're like **** lightning

Top Bottom