• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bumper Preference?

Shake

Smash Rookie
First of all, I'm new to the forums so hello! :) Second, I searched for a similar thread but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Just went to my first tournament in Maryland and noticed differences in what bumpers people use for shielding, wave dashing, and "L"-cancelling.

For me, the right bumper is used for shielding and wave dashing. I like to do a sort of light shield, and then I can use the "click" to wavedash out of shield. The left bumper is just cancels.

What are your preferences?

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I'm new to the forums so hello! :) Second, I searched for a similar thread but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Just went to my first tournament in Maryland and noticed differences in what bumpers people use for shielding, wave dashing, and "L"-cancelling.

For me, the right bumper is used for shielding and wave dashing. I like to do a sort of light shield, and then I can use the "click" to wavedash out of shield. The left bumper is just cancels.

What are your preferences?
Same here but I also use L to buffer sheild out of L-cancel and wd oos

stelzig

Smash Lord
I have used R for rolling onto the stage and for powershielding a few times. But I pretty much only use L also for those two things. Like ajp, I don't use Y either (I do use the c-stick though :p)

Beat!

Smash Master
I use all buttons.

Y is the least used by far, though, and I don't think I ever use it with Marth so...

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I tend to use R the most but I use L for cancelling just because it's called L-cancelling. I use x for all of my jumps except for a few.I dont know if I've ever used y except like once.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
It's strange how much variety there is here. I use L for L-cancels and shielding, and R for wavedash and waveland. I used X to jump at first (for maybe 2-3 months) then switched to Y and have never switched back. Also use c-stick for many things. I use L and R for powershields.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I use L only.
I use x for jumping almost exclusively except when I am jc upsmashing/grabbing out of sheild and shine then i use the control stick.. But jc grabbing from dash and shines to nair i use x (Shine to bair i use control stick)

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I use L for everything and X for everything

I wish I learned Y instead of X for jumps just because it's more comfortable when "clawing"

Spyro

Smash Ace
Could you explain your style? It sounds like a claw style.
Alright sure, this is from a post I made on the Pikachu boards.

My left and is the same as it was befor, I just have my pointer finger on the :ltrigger: and thumb and the :stick5:. However the way I hold it with my right hand is pretty weird. I put my thumb on the :cstick5:, my pointer finger on the :bbutton:, my middle finger is on the :abutton:, my ring finger is on the :ybutton: and my pinky is on the :zbutton:. So yeah, its going to take a lot of getting use to.
Keep in mind that I've been holding it like this for a while so I'm use to it.

*EDIT*: I started holding the controler like this so I could be as technical as possible.

dkuo

Smash Lord
I do exactly what you do except everything I do everything on the L button. Sometimes I use R to powershield...thinking about removing the spring so I just use R all the time.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
No, I have not but I know he basicly holds the controler like a fighting stick.

Here is how i've been trying out holding my controler, my left and is the same as it was befor, I just have my pointer finger on the :ltrigger: and thumb and the :stick5:. However the way I hold it with my right hand is pretty weird. I put my thumb on the :cstick5:, my pointer finger on the :bbutton:, my middle finger is on the :abutton:, my ring finger is on the :ybutton: and my pinky is on the :zbutton:. So yeah, its going to take a lot of getting use to.
I want vids of you playing, both of your hands and the actual gameplay. I have to see this.

Spyro

Smash Ace
I HAVE TO SEE YOUR PLAYSTYYYYYLE. Next time I roll down to Tennessee, (I live in WV) I'm going to find you.
Right now I'm still working on my tech skill, but in a couple of months, you should see me doing stuff that you would see Dark or Silent Wolf doing :).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
R for L-Cancel, WD, ledgeroll, Air Dodge
L for light shield.

They're called triggers, btw.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
R for wavedashing/wavelanding
L for L-cancelling, shielding, ledgeroll, pretty much everything else.

Massive

Smash Champion
I think I use R for L-cancels and wavedashing.
I use L for general shielding, but sometimes R.

My hands really don't care. I just know that wavedashing OoS always feels really awkward because I have to use both triggers.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
R for shielding and WD, and L for L-cancelling and WD out of shield.

I personally find it awkward to WD out of shield with the same trigger. Maybe it would help if I took the spring out, but the current method works for me nonetheless.

LittleBoyLarry

Smash Journeyman
so i'll ask my question again since some mod locked that other thread...

there appears to be a Wizzrobe and a Mr Wizzrobe
is there a Mrs Wzzrobe?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i am currently working on using both trigger buttons. I used to only use L for everything. I had an idea last month and ran with it. I use the R trigger when i intend to Power Shield something. My powershield game has actually gotten better since the trigger is newer and more responsive to pressure. Now i'm working out WD OoS after a successful power sheild...

:phone:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
L for everything.

lol id feel weird using R to Lcancel .... cuz you know... its L canceling ... not R canceling :awesome:

Top Bottom