• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Update

So far, rebuilding the core model produces a working copy. It's not 1:1, but pretty close. All that's left to do is make the individual builders and decide on a format for import/export. I hope to get a release out this weekend that will have basic editing features in the resource tree, but no UI changes. This will give us a chance to experiment with different model types, and may help with the UI design.

EdgyBluz

Smash Apprentice
Update

So far, rebuilding the core model produces a working copy. It's not 1:1, but pretty close. All that's left to do is make the individual builders and decide on a format for import/export. I hope to get a release out this weekend that will have basic editing features in the resource tree, but no UI changes. This will give us a chance to experiment with different model types, and may help with the UI design.
Wow...just...wow.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Update

So all aspects of the model are successfully rebuilt (bones, materials, ect.)? If not that still far exceeds what functionality I expected so fast.

Do you plan on having a new menu separate from the model previewer for working on them or will you try to integrate it?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Update

that is just so amazing 8D

but I have a little request. a "copy all bones on one frame" and "insert the copy on all bones"
or did I missed that D:

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
How about being able to select more than one thing at a time to export using ctrl? I found that annoying for taking animations from motionetc...

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
So far, rebuilding the core model produces a working copy. It's not 1:1, but pretty close.
What is the .001% that's off? That could become pretty important.
Still, great work Kryal! I'm certain it's going to be amazing!

Also, you seemed to miss my suggestion:

E-Jolteon said:
Anyway, Kryal, I had a tick just now...
What about .FBX format for models? That format packs pretty much any resources about a model, even animations and textures in that one file, and from what I understand, it's a very popular format. I know 3dsmax uses it, and I'm about 90% sure Blender and Maya do, and those are the most popular programs.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Uh oh...**** just got real. Big time. XD

Definitely looking forward to this weekend now. :3

Kryal

Smash Ace
What is the .001% that's off? That could become pretty important.
Still, great work Kryal! I'm certain it's going to be amazing!

Also, you seemed to miss my suggestion:
No, I saw it. The problem with FBX (as I have just discovered) is that it's proprietary. There is no specification available, and the only way to use the SDK is with C++. If I wanted to use it with C#, I would have to either create a C++ DLL that would export the FBX library files, or reverse-engineer the library files. I'm not willing to do wither of those at this moment, so I think Collada will be the format of choice. All the major modeling programs have import/export plugins available for Collada, so it shouldn't be a compatibility problem.

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
how do i make the things i edited on brawl box work on my wii? do i have to save it on my sd card? and when yes could someone please tell me if i need any additional programs installed?

Isaac!

Smash Rookie
how do i make the things i edited on brawl box work on my wii? do i have to save it on my sd card? and when yes could someone please tell me in which one?
If you're replacing somthing, make it overwrite the file you're editing (If you were making a stage that went over Final destination, rename it STGFINAL.pac. If you don't know where to place the file, Go to the fully new character thread, then to the all ISO files thread, and all the directories are shown in the right order.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, download homebrew, get Gecko OS, run the file patch code in whatever gct you have, and save all your files (on the SD card) in the following:
Root>private>wii>app>RSBE>(usually)pf>
Then in the folder that the file you are replacing would fit into, such as fighter for character pac.s, and stage>melee for all the stages you are replacing. If you don't have the above folers, make them. (root isn't a folder, it's the begining of your SD card, and don't include things in parenthesis in the title)

Hope that helped! :lick:

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I'm having a problem with replacing a texture. I'm trying to take the version of Final Destination in this post and replace its texture (STGFINAL.2.TextureData[0]) with the one in this one.

The two files are both 3,255,904 bytes. I extract TextureData[0].brres, and it expands to 3,442,432 bytes. So then I open the other FD and go to TextureData[0], hit replace, put in the one I saved, and save it as a new file.

Here's the problem: the new file is only 2,870,368 bytes and crashes the game. Am I doing something wrong, or is BrawlBox doing something wrong? I'm using 0.63d.

I should note that the strangest part is that I've done this before with no issue whatsoever, but I lost the file and now I'm trying to do it again, and it's not working. :ohwell:

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
One thing I want to see in the next BrawlBox is to actually be able to export raw data files without an error message. If you could do this, that would be awesome. (sorry if you already did this, I haven't updated since .063b)

Kryal

Smash Ace
I'm having a problem with replacing a texture. I'm trying to take the version of Final Destination in this post and replace its texture (STGFINAL.2.TextureData[0]) with the one in this one.

The two files are both 3,255,904 bytes. I extract TextureData[0].brres, and it expands to 3,442,432 bytes. So then I open the other FD and go to TextureData[0], hit replace, put in the one I saved, and save it as a new file.

Here's the problem: the new file is only 2,870,368 bytes and crashes the game. Am I doing something wrong, or is BrawlBox doing something wrong? I'm using 0.63d.

I should note that the strangest part is that I've done this before with no issue whatsoever, but I lost the file and now I'm trying to do it again, and it's not working. :ohwell:
The only thing that's making the file smaller is the textures. The pack you're using compresses better than the original because of the bands in the images. This wouldn't explain the freezing though, unless the game chokes when it expects a minimum file size. Try restoring the original texture pack and see if it works again. If it does, you've found your problem. If not, send the broken file.

One thing I want to see in the next BrawlBox is to actually be able to export raw data files without an error message. If you could do this, that would be awesome. (sorry if you already did this, I haven't updated since .063b)
Don't expect unknown file types to have any support.

KickKickFlip

Smash Apprentice
ok, so i just spent 4 hours editing my character portraits for all my hacks and I put it in and now it freezes when I try to go to the brawl character select... I don't know what I did wrong I tried two out and they worked fine so I went back and did like all fourty custom portraits. Now I can't get ti to work, I'm so tired I just need help haha. All the sizes and formats are correct btw. any other ideas?

I'm editing the common5.pac btw

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
ok, so i just spent 4 hours editing my character portraits for all my hacks and I put it in and now it freezes when I try to go to the brawl character select... I don't know what I did wrong I tried two out and they worked fine so I went back and did like all fourty custom portraits. Now I can't get ti to work, I'm so tired I just need help haha. All the sizes and formats are correct btw. any other ideas?

I'm editing the common5.pac btw
Sounds like you got a file too big. Lower the quality of some of your portraits. (If you don't have the originals anymore, export and re-import with a different palette)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Yes, there's a limit on an individual BRES file size. They all use the same image but different palette, so they compress very well. If you throw in unique images the size can increase unexpectedly. When importing, turn the number of colors down to less then 128, or more/less depending. A good way to track the BRES size is to export it and check the file size. Import your image and adjust the number of colors until the saved file is about the same size.

Just a quick update: the vertex encoder works quite well and I am very pleased with the results. Vertices/Normals/UVs are compressed automatically much like animation sequences. Except, most raw data hasn't been compressed so the file size almost always drops. A model file with a size of 420KB drops to 335KB, with a maximum error of 0.0005.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Yes, there's a limit on an individual BRES file size. They all use the same image but different palette, so they compress very well. If you throw in unique images the size can increase unexpectedly. When importing, turn the number of colors down to less then 128, or more/less depending. A good way to track the BRES size is to export it and check the file size. Import your image and adjust the number of colors until the saved file is about the same size.

Just a quick update: the vertex encoder works quite well and I am very pleased with the results. Vertices/Normals/UVs are compressed automatically much like animation sequences. Except, most raw data hasn't been compressed so the file size almost always drops. A model file with a size of 420KB drops to 335KB, with a maximum error of 0.0005.
First comment: The max filesize also seems to vary from file to file... Is this Brawls doing, or the SD Loader? (My guess is the SDLoader, since some files being to large, like info.pac only affects SDLoader users.)

Second comment: HYPE. So, imported models will by smaller in filesize? Isn't that a good thing?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Vertex editor is almost done? YATTA!!

Next will you be working on UV editing, the Mapping of textures on models? Or Model builder/editor

@E-Jolteon: There good if smaller as long if their not 1kb.

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
after i edit like the color of the character on my sd card , how do I start ssbb with those changes? please can someone tell me?

KickKickFlip

Smash Apprentice
No everything loads fine, it's just when I go to group and click to go to the ccs it freezes at the screen before CS

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
If you're replacing somthing, make it overwrite the file you're editing (If you were making a stage that went over Final destination, rename it STGFINAL.pac. If you don't know where to place the file, Go to the fully new character thread, then to the all ISO files thread, and all the directories are shown in the right order.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, download homebrew, get Gecko OS, run the file patch code in whatever gct you have, and save all your files (on the SD card) in the following:
Root>private>wii>app>RSBE>(usually)pf>
Then in the folder that the file you are replacing would fit into, such as fighter for character pac.s, and stage>melee for all the stages you are replacing. If you don't have the above folers, make them. (root isn't a folder, it's the begining of your SD card, and don't include things in parenthesis in the title)

Hope that helped! :lick:
where do I download homebrew channel and gecko OS??, and by the way I have the PAL version of brawl so does that change anything?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
where do I download homebrew channel and gecko OS??, and by the way I have the PAL version of brawl so does that change anything?
Google for HBC and Gecko. And since you have a PAL version, the folder structure should go like this: SD Card/private/wii/app/RSBP/pf/

Kryal

Smash Ace
Vertex editor is almost done? YATTA!!

Next will you be working on UV editing, the Mapping of textures on models? Or Model builder/editor

@E-Jolteon: There good if smaller as long if their not 1kb.
Not editor, encoder. BBox may not have direct editing for a while, at least not until the new interface is done. I don't like the idea of spending a few days making forms that will be temporary. And yes, smaller is better.

Also, found out why some edited models cause the game to slow to a crawl. The data formats and encoding are also stored inside the polygons as pre-compiled display lists (like many other things in models apparently). The two must match, otherwise bad things happen!

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
So it will only export the Vertices/points? Im ok with that. As long its compatible with Items. I want to make you a icon for BBox using the Smash Ball and a Vertex edit that makes it into a Box.

And Das Donkey Vertex Box doesnt work with Items. And Link's main Sword. And alot of things.
So im very happy. You Kryal, are a Brawl Hacking GOD.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Now that a fix is available for such model hacks, I suggest you go forth with this new info and make Jiggs Brawl's hat rack xD (Starting with Bill's Hat of course)

Mit

Smash Ace
No! The crown! Do the crown first! D: People need to feel the pain when I dthrow them and stab them in the stomach!

Anyhow, I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already, I just can't be arsed to check through a few hundred pages looking for an answer.

I keep hearing the next more major version of BrawlBox is supposed to feature support that will allow people to get **** near any model in Brawl. Is this true?

If so, have people cracked the Melee model formats? If we could get replications of Melee stages into Brawl without having to recreate them manually, that'd be amazing :O

Plasmakirby1

Smash Journeyman
can someone help me? i open brawlbox just fine, i can open a file just fine, but i get an error when i go to preview a model. my dad has wiped out the comp, and put a few things back on for me, and it didn't work, so i removed everything but the essentials, and it didn't work. we transfered the same files to his laptop and it worked fine. plz help meh?

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I keep hearing the next more major version of BrawlBox is supposed to feature support that will allow people to get **** near any model in Brawl. Is this true?

If so, have people cracked the Melee model formats? If we could get replications of Melee stages into Brawl without having to recreate them manually, that'd be amazing :O
Yes its true. Though it is already possible to get SOME models in to brawl (New Super Mario bros Wii, Wario Wart Wii, Bleach vs. Crusade, Pokepark Wii, and a bunch of others). It requires some hexing though. If you want to know how, check this thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263127

pokelover980

Smash Ace
can someone help me? i open brawlbox just fine, i can open a file just fine, but i get an error when i go to preview a model. my dad has wiped out the comp, and put a few things back on for me, and it didn't work, so i removed everything but the essentials, and it didn't work. we transfered the same files to his laptop and it worked fine. plz help meh?
Do you have Open GL 1.1 (I think that's the one you need) or higher? You can't do any model previewing unless you have OpenGL.

Top Bottom