• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nub Slayer

Smash Rookie
You know what would be cool? A peek of the source code :p

I was thinking...When I saw the song list posted I wondered, it is possible to tell the stage to point to another part of the game disc, right? Like 286B is the last track on the disc, 4F56 would be something entirely different . If so, would it be plausible to tell the stage to point to another location, possibly the SD card...?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I know that I've asked this a couple of times already, but can this thread please be stickied? This is a tool that many people have used and are using and it's very helpful to have it in the beginning of the forum. That way it's easier to find in order to keep track of this work in progress. Thank you.
Yeah, this is a good idea. Someone contact the Mods! I can't, mods hate me lol, jk

I hope you guys are enjoying my tutorial!

StrikerX22

Smash Rookie
Geez, I've been looking for this. Google apparently doesn't cut it very well. This thing needs more publicity. That and the fact that uploading here automatically parses some information from the map... like a snapshot, so you don't have to identify them all by transferring 50+ maps 1 by 1.

Thanks a lot for this.

[Edit:] First impressions:
-Great looks and atmosphere.

-Bug: round block (beta block I assume?) does not delete properly, but makes a copy when you click it.

-I'd like to be able to spam the same block without clicking the icon again. Suggestion - force right click to stop placing an item, and every left click places another. Very fast and convenient still. (Also, allow right click to work when mouse is outside placement field. It doesn't now.)

-Perhaps give an indicator that toggling the music brings a remixed version =P...

-Full screen (fit to screen, without stretching) would feel much better, even if a bit pixely/fuzzy.

-Future: I've listened through most of the music when making custom stages many times, but I still don't remember some very well. It would be nice to be able to listen to each track through this editor, but I know that'd take some work and space. It'd really add to the usefulness and professional quality though.

It'd be epic if you could listen to the track while making the stage, which is what I've always wanted. I mean, why the hell not (in brawl's editor)? It helps me capture the feel of the level, at times I start with music. Besides, the original stage builder music will drive me mad someday. (If anyone happened to have a pack of the brawl music correctly titled/categorized, that'd be a great initial step/work around.)

In any case, I'm very pleased and impressed with the product. Wish I had found it sooner, and that it had more publicity outside this board... somehow I've missed it.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Actually, StrikerX22, you can right-click a block to be able to start placing a whole bunch of 'em. Try it out.

I also haven't noticed the bug with the beta block -- it seems fine to me... perhaps you've been right-clicking by accident?

As for having the soundtracks in the editor. Unfortunately that's not even remotely possible, as it would add at least a gigabyte to the download size (and would be mildly illegal, methinks). The best thing for you to do is download the soundtrack yourself and listen to it while you work.

StrikerX22

Smash Rookie
Actually, StrikerX22, you can right-click a block to be able to start placing a whole bunch of 'em. Try it out.

I also haven't noticed the bug with the beta block -- it seems fine to me... perhaps you've been right-clicking by accident?

As for having the soundtracks in the editor. Unfortunately that's not even remotely possible, as it would add at least a gigabyte to the download size (and would be mildly illegal, methinks). The best thing for you to do is download the soundtrack yourself and listen to it while you work.
You're right, I misclicked somehow because I was thinking "right-click = delete" and right-clicked an already placed block which activated the copy function, instead of left-clicking then right-clicking. Maybe that should have something in the icon as well, eh?

And it's about as illegal as having the original intro song in there, isn't it? > > Besides, maybe it might be technically illegal, but I'm pretty sure anyone with this program actually owns the game, which essentially has the exact same access to the music, no special features like shuffle or what have you for listening for enjoyment.

If it ever did happen, it might add a GB, but it'd be a great add-on (optional), and it doesn't have to be great quality either. Youtube isn't a great option since it takes about as much effort as turning on the game, finding the track there, and actually having better access. Youtube doesn't loop, it isn't organized, you have to know the title (so only good for checking ones you've forgotten), you have to type it out, it's bad quality, and I haven't tried, but it might not have all the tracks uploaded either.

Not that I'm trying to force this.

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
Do you have any idea about when an update is coming Xane? Not that I'm rushing or anything..

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
Do you have any idea about when an update is coming Xane? Not that I'm rushing or anything..
Rushing...? Naw... of course not! You're not rushing him. Who would even dare to think so?! After all, you posted the same exact question practically as cookieM0Nster who, by the way, posted it a full 35 minutes before you did.

DevonS

Smash Rookie
what kind of features do you want to add in the future?
I'd like to be able to insert my own background graphics and music. (I think "Dan dan kokoro hikaraiteku" would make a decent BGM theme.)
And perhaps a 90-degree part rotation feature.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
I'd like to be able to insert my own background graphics and music. (I think "Dan dan kokoro hikaraiteku" would make a decent BGM theme.)
And perhaps a 90-degree part rotation feature.
You can't make any of those a feature unless you practically recode the whole game and burn it on a disc.

DevonS

Smash Rookie
You can't make any of those a feature unless you practically recode the whole game and burn it on a disc.
Well, the songs are encoded on data files (.dat) and they were able to program a little bump, which works, So I don't see why they can't modify a .dat file to include your own music. And uploading your own background graphic can be as simple as loading a .png or .jpeg file and putting the blocks over it. I've even seen texture-hacked stages, so it can't be that big of a farcry.

koldstare64

Smash Rookie
I'm having a problem with it D:
Whenever I play on a stage that I've built using your AWESOME program, my wii freeze right before it gets to the post-game placement screen. Have any idea why?

StrikerX22

Smash Rookie
Updates! Updates! Updates!

Hey Xane, what are you planning for the next update?
Stop saying updates. Having even a bug fix in the next update would be good. Maybe asking for what he plans for in the future at some point maybe... would be less pressure-inducing.

The editor's already very good. It would be fine ONLY receiving bug updates, though anything else is much appreciated. I am interested knowing more about there being a post-game bug... I've yet to try one.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
^^^
This. Xane already said that he would work on it as much as he can. He intends to add "extra large" parts, and stretched out parts. Just wait guys!

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
Well, the songs are encoded on data files (.dat) and they were able to program a little bump, which works, So I don't see why they can't modify a .dat file to include your own music. And uploading your own background graphic can be as simple as loading a .png or .jpeg file and putting the blocks over it. I've even seen texture-hacked stages, so it can't be that big of a farcry.
Texture hacks are totally changing the game. Just cuz you can texture hack by ****** the sh*t out of the game doesn't mean you can do it easily with an editor. This is a stage editor, not a texture editor or a song editor. If you want to edit stage textures you gotta edit stage textures. If you want to import your own music into a game (which believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds) do it via hacking. This program is for editing stages and nothing else. And even with this, it's an amazing program. I've made literally dozens of stages with it - even without stretching being implemented for public use.

to Xane:
Thanks for the program, bro. Either way, a word from you and we just use the updater to get the latest installment of your mastery. I can't wait for the implementation of stretching :D I'm gitty with anticipation!

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
^
that. Seriously, this creates custom stages and NOTHING MORE.

Yeah, me too! I cannot wait until we can stretch our parts! That will be so sweet!!!!

trickmaster

Smash Rookie
You guys are right about that this program only creates stages, but the background is part of the stage- right? I mean, it just truly would make the game way more awesome than it already is if i could customize my background and music. This is a very good program, with an awesome interface, but once again we shouldnt just forget about this possible feature, it would be really cool if it is developed in a future update. Just saying.

Keep up the good work, developer guys!

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Trust me, it will not be able to work. You cannot add extra data (besudes saved data) to the game. You can use the custom stage texture swap code, but it is bright green, and is only available on one stage. Don't waste your time trying.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
You guys are right about that this program only creates stages, but the background is part of the stage- right? I mean, it just truly would make the game way more awesome than it already is if i could customize my background and music. This is a very good program, with an awesome interface, but once again we shouldnt just forget about this possible feature, it would be really cool if it is developed in a future update. Just saying.

Keep up the good work, developer guys!
Don't assume that just because the background is part of the stage then you can edit it. Because then, by your flawless logic I would be able to change the textures of the blocks. I would be able to change the blocks in the nature setting to say... blocks of silly putty. I might even change the trees into tin foil.

You CANNOT change the backgrounds.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Don't assume that just because the background is part of the stage then you can edit it. Because then, by your flawless logic I would be able to change the textures of the blocks. I would be able to change the blocks in the nature setting to say... blocks of silly putty. I might even change the trees into tin foil.

You CANNOT change the backgrounds.
You can texture hack blocks, though. You have to load the code EVERY TIME, and must have a cetain stage. No backround, though. Just drop it people.

BACKROUNDS WEREN'T PROGRAMMED INTO THE GAME, OTHER THAN THE THREE ALREADY GIVEN TO YOU IN THE STAGE BUILDER! Music, however, can be edited. It is very difficult, though.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
You can texture hack blocks, though. You have to load the code EVERY TIME, and must have a cetain stage. No backround, though. Just drop it people.

BACKROUNDS WEREN'T PROGRAMMED INTO THE GAME, OTHER THAN THE THREE ALREADY GIVEN TO YOU IN THE STAGE BUILDER! Music, however, can be edited. It is very difficult, though.
Either way, not worth the time or the hassle. And to do so would be to directly hack the game. Which would mean that you'd have to practically burn a new copy of your edited game. Something the Stage Builder does NOT do, WILL NOT do, and doesn't HAVE TO do. If you want texture hacks, see all the amazing work done by texture hackers with their codes and tools. Once again, done by HACKS and OTHER tools. This tool does what needs to be done and can be incorporated into ANY SSBB game on ANY wii, without having the wii modified, without having to use ocarina, and without using Gecko. THIS is a great program as is.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Either way, not worth the time or the hassle. And to do so would be to directly hack the game. Which would mean that you'd have to practically burn a new copy of your edited game. Something the Stage Builder does NOT do, WILL NOT do, and doesn't HAVE TO do. If you want texture hacks, see all the amazing work done by texture hackers with their codes and tools. Once again, done by HACKS and OTHER tools. This tool does what needs to be done and can be incorporated into ANY SSBB game on ANY wii, without having the wii modified, without having to use ocarina, and without using Gecko. THIS is a great program as is.
Yeah. Texture hacks could give you a custom backround, if you wanted to spend your time that way...

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Is there a way to use Japanese letters in the stage name?
No, not currently~ I didn't know it would make it's way to Japan.
If any Japanese is willing to translate the program I might consider doing it sometime.
But I have other things higher on the list right now.

xnamkcor

Smash Cadet
For some reason, whenever I run the program, my computer has a critical error...... I ran it on my laptop fine but it causes my desktop to shut down.
If you want help, try posting something relevant to your problem instead of just hoping one of us is psychic.

GPU Model
CPU Model
OS/OS Build

Turn off "Automatically Restart" in Control Panel>System>Advanced(tab)>Startup and Recovery.
Note what halted the system.

PS: My blurry graphic issue fixed itself. I blame the driver updates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/xnamkcor/SSBBSmiracle.png

Khanartist

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a video of actually playing on a stage studio stage. That would be pretty cool to see (I cant because I dont have an SD card...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom