• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
I just noticed something - the date the stages were created are really messed up like how they were when made with Ocarina. It says it was created on 617/616/2676 or something weird like that. lol, Ocarina was close though (well, compared to the other). It said 1/1/2000.
(..)
The date is being extracted from the filename, but since you're all using your own filenames, it can't calculate them properly.

I have a problem where it closes the program every time I start to make a new stage, anyone know why? Also, all the text is just blocky white crap.
This has to do with your graphics card, but as it runs fine on all computers I have access to, I currently can't do anything about. :/
Maybe I'll find the issue by surprise.

Megaflareon

Smash Rookie
I'm dying to see how a stage like this would work, but I don't have an SD card...
Hahaha,I tried a stage like that. It was very entertaining,pretty fun,but lagged like a REALLY bad online match. I'll have a replay saved on my SD card :D.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
This has to do with your graphics card, but as it runs fine on all computers I have access to, I currently can't do anything about. :/
Maybe I'll find the issue by surprise.
Do you think that at some point you could make a crappy graphics version? It looks great, but I can't use it:(

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
are you going to make any completely new objects? or alter the effects of blocks? or oooh thisd be good could u make it so u can place items on it that are always there wen a match starts? or make item spawn point manipulators so u choose where items are spawned at? or make activated items like pitfalls or bumpers and etc to put on the stages?

EDIT: also, what blocks are the beta blocks?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
making new objects has not been implemented by anyone, and it would only be even possible with usb gecko or burning another copy of brawl.

i don't think you can "alter the effects of blocks" by which i think you mean, say make regular blocks slippery, or make the blocks more slippery, again without intensive hacking.

but i think you can spawn items pretty specifically with hacks; of course not with this editor alone

gamepro2

Smash Rookie
i need a better card =[=[[=[[=[=[[==[=[=[[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[
ima try another pc

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Hey Xane, I was thinking today, and I thought of something that might enhance the editor. Something that would be a big help (at least for me) would be a button that turned on red/green outlines around the edges of blocks showing what can or can't be passed through. I don't know if it's been suggested already, but if you're feeling particularly ballsy, you could try your hand at adding a music preview feature like in Brawl (thus making the file size SUBSTANTIALLY larger).

Just something you might want to do. Thanks again. ^_^

EarthLord_CJ

Smash Cadet

blowuptheking

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to second the fact that saving in Vista is not working correctly. It starts to save the file (evidenced by the 5kb file I have afterwards) but crashes partway through. I ran a quick debug and it mentions that it triggered a breakpoint (if that means anything to you).

Great job by the way! Good luck with this.

*EDIT*
Actually, you can load the saved file with the studio, but I haven't tested it on my Wii yet as I don't have my SD card handy.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Alright is it me or when I make a huge stage in this thing it turns out...pretty **** HUGE?

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
are you going to make any completely new objects? or alter the effects of blocks? or oooh thisd be good could u make it so u can place items on it that are always there wen a match starts? or make item spawn point manipulators so u choose where items are spawned at? or make activated items like pitfalls or bumpers and etc to put on the stages?

EDIT: also, what blocks are the beta blocks?
beta block is the weird hump shaped one listed after the stairs and such in the top section of pieces (the one with your basic blocks). It should stand out to you because it's not normally accessible.

I wish you could change the dimensions of blocks more than just "small medium large" (as in stretch them, maybe), and also that you could vertically flip them as opposed to horizontal only, but I guess you can't win them all. :dizzy:

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
[...]
I wish you could change the dimensions of blocks more than just "small medium large" (as in stretch them, maybe), [...]
Patience, that's for things to come:

As for vertically flipping them, it'd be impossible to do because of how Nintendo saves and loads the block data (Only positive size values) and just a binary flip in the 4th byte for if it's horizontally flipped or not.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
The stage I made doesn't show up when I want to start a match, and it freezes when I try to open it in brawl stage builder.

Anything I might have done wrong?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
(...)

As for vertically flipping them, it'd be impossible to do because of how Nintendo saves and loads the block data (Only positive size values) and just a binary flip in the 4th byte for if it's horizontally flipped or not.
This is correct, thanks for explaining everyone.

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
An awesome idea if it could be implemented (I doubt that).
A second layer for background. That is, you could place blocks in a layer behind the blocks of the actual stage to form a background. Possible uses include making the tower in a Hyrule Castle clone.

Also some questions before I go to the trouble of downloading this for possibly no reason.
Firstly, Is it possible to use these stages on a non-hacked wii?
Secondly, is it possible to send these stages between the friends thingy in brawl?

Thirdly (depending on the first two answers), I do not have an SD card or an SD reader, so would anyone be willing to download stages I make, put them on their wii, and then send them to me through the wifi friends stage sender thing?

please pm me if you are willing.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
A second layer for background. That is, you could place blocks in a layer behind the blocks of the actual stage to form a background. Possible uses include making the tower in a Hyrule Castle clone.

Also some questions before I go to the trouble of downloading this for possibly no reason.
Secondly, is it possible to send these stages between the friends thingy in brawl?

Thirdly (depending on the first two answers), I do not have an SD card or an SD reader, so would anyone be willing to download stages I make, put them on their wii, and then send them to me through the wifi friends stage sender thing?

question 1 = yes
question 2 = yes
question 3 = you really need to get an SD card/reader

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie

One: Yes, it is possible. The only reason you would need a hacked Wii would be for spawn fixes or something, but you shouldn't be needing that.

Two: Not sure, although it should be do-able.

Three: It all depends on how much time a person is willing to put aside for someone they do not know. Generally, people don't mind going too far out of their way.

Edit: What MeleeMaster said, you really should get a SD card/Reader, as they are standard on computers now.

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
question 1 = yes
question 2 = yes
question 3 = you really need to get an SD card/reader
1. thankyou for answering
2. thankyou for answering
3. I will as soon as I can afford it but in the meantime if someone is willing to help me out that'd be nice.

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
what are the odds of being able to use block types from one theme with another? Like futuristic blocks with the nature background? Highly likely or not very?

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I'd say not very, as the Brawl has specific blocks for specific backgrounds.
Loading a "nature" stage with a "factory" background might confuse the Wii.

Don't take only my opinion though.
I know very little about most new games inner workings(the old ones are easy to figure out xD).

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
And the 8th byte goes directly back to the original format, if I recall correctly.

But seeing how you are currently stretching blocks, is there anyway to flip them that way? Or maybe such an event will make the game crash because it would probably be a negative value. I can understand if I'm not explaining this well, so if you don't understand, ask again.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
First off, absolutely fantastic work. Really, this is a pleasant surprise.

My only two requests are probably doable, given hackers have done so already with stages:

Customly stretched objects, as demonstrated by the picture above, and custom stage sizes, instead of the standard small, medium, large.

Keep up the great work!

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
First off, absolutely fantastic work. Really, this is a pleasant surprise.

My only two requests are probably doable, given hackers have done so already with stages:

Customly stretched objects, as demonstrated by the picture above, and custom stage sizes, instead of the standard small, medium, large.

Keep up the great work!
He's working on stretching, but only three sizes are possible.

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that block stretching is based off the ice block sizes, correct?

Chaofanatic

Smash Rookie
I cant wait for the custom streaching blocks and such!
Imagine a brawl on a vertical slope!

Chaofanatic

Smash Rookie
No its not actualy...
Just take the little unused speed bump as I call it and verticaly stretch it to the top of the level and you have an easy 90 degree angle.
NOW YOU CAN BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR FRIENDS SIDEWAYS!

Mumfie

Smash Rookie
Think i remember hearing about it when you started this project, i want to congratulate you on the sucess.
This project seems very interesting, and i wish you good luck upon it in the future. Maybe this can be used with the GeckoOS hackers in the future, who knows?

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that block stretching is based off the ice block sizes, correct?
Here's some food for thought:
Objects that don't get bigger then 4 width/height naturally, are limited to a 7 width/height size maximum (respectively), but those that do are limited to a width/height of around 20.

So by stretching, most objects are limited to anything in the range of 1 width and 1 height to 7 width and 7 height. The exceptions are the moving platforms (up/down is 7 width limited and 20 height limited, side-to-side is 20 width limited and 7 blocks high (Though it ends up only totaling one block visible), and the Ferris/water wheel, which is the range of a width of 1 and a height of 1 to a width of 20 and a height of 20.

Then of course you can have mid-range sizes (Not sure on the exact values), such as 1/4th, 1/2th, etc, so really, it's a lot more then just 'based off the ice block'.

Though, since you mentioned ice blocks:

Edit: As for vertical slopes, just take a normal slope and give it a width of zero. Problem solved. [Note: It won't work as you'd think it would. It'd either splatter your players graphics, freeze your game, or teleport you somewhere else]

BioGenx2b

Smash Rookie
I'll save everyone the trouble with a picture. All objects in the picture should be aligned with the blocks directly below them.

IMG removed from quote.

If the stage-specific(forest/ancient/future) object is an odd numbered height the alignment will be off (This includes blank space); An easy enough fix for Xane I'd assume.
I'm having the same issue with 2 of my levels.

Chaofanatic

Smash Rookie
Wait...
So streching could possibly have 1/2 and 1/4 values and whatnot?
That would be awesome!

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I just downloaded this program and made a stage. Thank you for making this available. The menu remix is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom