• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikpikcarrotmon

Smash Rookie
Great work on StageStudio. I've been having a blast with it making all sorts of crazy stages. For some reason, though, the MGS2 Big Shell stage I made is crashing the Wii after a minute or two of gameplay.

It's frozen up twice now and I don't want to freeze it up again with further play tests, but both times it happened while I was in the air to the left, just above the tower there. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, though. Anyway, the first time it happened I had overlapping blocks that acted weird so I changed them and tried it again. I'm not sure what else could be causing it, though, but that IS twice on the same level.

Other notes about it -

Yell Dead Cell soundtrack
Custom image (this)
Large size map

My Wii has never crashed before this and all other custom stages appear to work fine, even with more overlapping parts than this stage. The Parts-O-Meter is about a quarter full, so I don't think it's overloaded or anything.

(If anyone has a good file-hosting source of some sort, I'll upload the stage file itself)

EDIT: It crashed again, this time when fighting toward the right. I think it may have something to do with enemy AI, it seems to behave strangely on these levels since it probably wasn't programmed to deal with it. This doesn't make a noticeable difference for a lot of you who have friends around to play with but it may be worth looking into and mentioning for the few of us who have to play one-player.

Baloo

Smash Ace
OK, this probably sounds really dumb, but it won't let me open it. It says Windows can't open this file, and to select a program to turn it on.

In other word,s my computer doesn't recognize the file. What do I do?

pawnch

Smash Cadet
I can open it and everything, but when I press OK, the grid pops up for half of a second, and the file closes. I have a Windows XP laptop if it matters.

Flynch

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to say thanks for the Stage Studio. It rocks and I understand you must have put a lot of time into something like that. I appreciate it!

EDIT - I even use Vista and I DON'T have to run the program as administrator.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I can open it and everything, but when I press OK, the grid pops up for half of a second, and the file closes. I have a Windows XP laptop if it matters.
That's what happens to me. Supposedly, its a graphics card issue, but I still don't get why it works up until then.

Saber Mage

Smash Rookie
As for vertically flipping them, it'd be impossible to do because of how Nintendo saves and loads the block data (Only positive size values) and just a binary flip in the 4th byte for if it's horizontally flipped or not.
This is kind of a long shot, but it seems possible: Could Xane possibly coordinate with some experienced Brawl hackers/code-makers to slightly reformulate the in-game stage loading mechanism via hacks/codes? One great use for this kind of thing would be a code that allows negative scale sizes to be applied to all stage pieces, therefore allowing the use of negative vertical size-scaling to v-flip objects such as spikes, springs, slopes, and etc. The code that uses the 8th spawn point as the new re-spawn (post-death) point reinforces my confidence in the ability for this sort of coordinated effort to be successful...

Even more of a long shot: Taken to extremes, a coordinated effort between Xane and some Brawl hacker(s) could result in a truly reformulated stage loading process - one that loads files that couldn't even be loaded with the original loading process, because the new files (could) support extra features such as piece rotation and etc., which would be data nonsensical to the original stage loading, but useable for the potential revamped stage loading. My thoughts are, use codes to interperet the extra data in the stage file OR, perhaps add a separate file that contains all of the extra feature data like piece rotation, so that the original loading process could be used to load a perfectly load-able stage file, and then the additional features loading process that was hacked in could be initialized to read from a different file of the same (but slightly altered) name to apply all available extra features. As an example, there could be the st_blah.bin, a perfectly normal saved stage, and then an ex_blah.(bin?), which contains information regarding the hacked extra features.

So, in retrospect:
- Hacks/codes supply the means for the Stage Studio to include new, previously impossible features. Said hacks/codes interperet extra files generated by SS, and applies the features defined within to the stage that is being loaded.
- Stage Studio seamlessly incorporates previously impossible features into its UI, most likely in an enhanced, user-enableable editing mode. Upon saving a stage, SS generates not only the saved stage .bin, but also the extras file needed for the hacks/codes to work correctly.
- Stage Studio thus provides the means to everyone else, the users, to take advantage of potential extra features.

Whew - Went from pretty feasible to way out there a little fast, huh? Ah well. I'd like to know others' thoughts on these ideas. And pardon me if any of these ideas seem foolish; I'm not sure exactly what the limits are with hacks via codes, but I feel that I understand them more fully than many.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of a long shot, but it seems possible: Could Xane possibly coordinate with some experienced Brawl hackers/code-makers to slightly reformulate the in-game stage loading mechanism via hacks/codes? One great use for this kind of thing would be a code that allows negative scale sizes to be loaded for all stage pieces, therefore allowing the use of negative vertical size-scaling to v-flip objects such as spikes, springs, slopes, and etc. The code that uses the 8th spawn point as the new re-spawn (post-death) point reinforces my confidence in the ability for this sort of coordinated effort to be successful...

Even more of a long shot: Taken to extremes, a coordinated effort between Xane and some Brawl hacker(s) could result in a truly reformulated stage loading process - one that loads files that couldn't even be loaded with the original loading process, because the new files (could) support extra features such as piece rotation and etc., which would be data nonsensical to the original stage loading, but useable for the potential revamped stage loading. My thoughts are, use codes to interperet the extra data in the stage file OR, perhaps add a separate file that contains all of the extra feature data like piece rotation, so that the original loading process could be used to load a perfectly load-able stage file, and then the additional features loading process that was hacked in could be initialized to read from a different file of the same (but slightly altered) name to apply all available extra features. As an example, there could be the st_blah.bin, a perfectly normal saved stage, and then an ex_blah.(bin?), which contains information regarding the hacked extra features.

So, in retrospect:
- Hacks/codes supply the means for the Stage Studio to include new, previously impossible features. Said hacks/codes interperet extra files generated by SS, and applies the features defined within to the stage that is being loaded.
- Stage Studio seamlessly incorporates previously impossible features into its UI, most likely in an enhanced, user-enableable editing mode. Upon saving a stage, SS generates not only the saved stage .bin, but also the extras file needed for the hacks/codes to work correctly.
- Stage Studio thus provides the means to everyone else, the users, to take advantage of potential extra features.

Whew - Went from pretty feasible to way out there a little fast, huh? Ah well. I'd like to know others' thoughts on these ideas. And pardon me if any of these ideas seem foolish; I'm not sure exactly what the limits are with hacks via codes, but I feel that I understand them more fully than many.
*drools*
10drools

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Can someone please post a link of it on megaupload or mediafire? My mom has website blocks so i cant use the download site..... Please?

Shernoubi

Smash Rookie
Lol, you're welcome. I'm unable to use it so atleast someone can be happy in my place. Thanks for this great item Xane.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
It works PERFECT for me. Thats why i love it, but Stage doesn't show up on select if Image is smaller than needed. IM LOVIN IT! *bah bah bah bah BAAAHH!*

someonewhodied

Smash Rookie
AWESOME

what you should add though
custom background
use ALL blocks from all backgrounds on any background
RESPAWN points

Saber Mage

Smash Rookie
This may not really be my place, but...

@someonewhodied:
- Custom backgrounds are only feasible by use of USB Gecko, a.k.a. direct hacks to the game's image, and maybe burnt onto a new disk. This is because the 3 available backgrounds are part of the game disk's (note: READ ONLY) memory - they aren't taken from an external source of any kind.

- I'm not sure (as Xane hasn't yet replied to this request) but I don't think the use of stage pieces from say nature on a futuristic stage is possible, or at least without hacks. Note that the Stage Studio is NOT a hack per se, but more of a modified stage editor with less restrictions than the in-game one. Relatively, and to an extent, it simply writes to a file what the in-game editor is restricted from writing, and nothing more. What you request, if possible, would likely require either codes or direct hacks similar to those mentioned above.

- The respawn point (note that every player respawns at generally the same place after death) is modifiable, but only via codes. A code has been released recently that modifies the respawn point to be the same place as the 8th spawn point, but unfortunately the latest version of the Stage Studio no longer allows the user to define the location of the 8th spawn point. Older versions did, I believe.

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
[...] (as adding custom respawn point or custom pokemon trainer position) [...]
Both of which are calculated on the game depending on the position of objects and not saved anywhere in the stage's bin file, kinda like item spawn points; The only way it'd be possible to build in stuff like that without the use of USB Gecko/Gecko OS would be to find a way to make it that when the stage is loaded it does a similar hooking function like Gecko OS and applies temporary codes that unhook when the stage isn't being called anymore.

Though how one would go about building in such a function to a stage save is beyond me, and has a likely chance that it's impossible.

Baloo

Smash Ace
Is there any way to make walk off stages? When I try to change the size, it only walks off on one side.:confused:

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
stuff can only go out bounds on the right and bottom of the screen, in this editor (version) so you can make stuff like melee's yoshi island, but not something like ssb64's mushroom kingdom

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Can anyone create a code so that way you can choose what ledges should be grabbed and not? Meaning that the piece itself doesn't affect whether it is grabbable, you get to do something where you click on a side and make it grabbable and you can do this with any open side. This means angled and go through platforms could be grabbed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom