• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Brawl Stage Studio] v0.8.03 Beta - Updated 02/25/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Bug Report- 8:37 AM, January 27th./Stage Studio Version _v0802

First Bug

Here are the stages this happened on.
Link to the three stages Download the Carnival Stage. You already have the Test Pillar Stage.

Final Smashes having wierd effects...
In two stages I made with your stage builder Final Smashes would become messed up.
It didn't freeze or damage my Wii in anyway.

Falco's Final Smash got stuck in the wall of the Carnival stage.
After I rapidly fired the lazer I moved a little and then it got stuck on the Ferris Wheel thingy.
On the Test Pillar Stage Lucario would freeze when he breaks the Smashball with the shards of green around him.
It would teleport to the Lazer firing sequence where the first few frames would skip (I took pictures of the sequence).

Here are some screen shots:

Second Bug

This bug is disappearing stage pieces. It's in the Mokudon stage where you can download from the above link. As always the files are from before the resave on the Wii.

I had to open these stages in the Brawl Stage Builder and save them to see them in Stage Select just like before.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Bug Report- 8:37 AM, January 27th./Stage Studio Version _v0802

Second Bug

This bug is disappearing stage pieces. It's in the Mokudon stage where you can download from the above link. As always the files are from before the resave on the Wii.

I had to open these stages in the Brawl Stage Builder and save them to see them in Stage Select just like before.

This should be the result of a stage file name which is too long. I once has "st_Fountain of Dreams.bin" as the file name, and it shows up in the stage builder but not in the select screen.
But after I changed the file name to "st_F of Dreams.bin", it worked. Maybe your file name is just too long.

Lightningboalt

Smash Rookie
So, will it ever be possible to flip objects in all 4 directions? Like Upside Down Spikes, for example?

And will it ever be possible to make fully walk off-able stages, instead of just on the right side?

brawllegend

Smash Rookie
I tried to make a horizontal moving platform going off the edge of the stage to the right, but when I switched from large to small stage size, it disappeared. The only time it doesn't is when the entire space the platform takes up is within the small stage's boundaries. So I think it still deletes those when they're outside the boundaries.

And will it ever be possible to make fully walk off-able stages, instead of just on the right side?
To answer your question:

Xane said:
But I can tell you that it's impossible to save [blocks outside of the boundary to the left or above] due to the custom stage's grid.
It's a bit complicated to explain but.. I'll try.
You know, the block's position in the Stage Format is being stored in one dimension using one byte (0 - 255).
Every stage, regardless of it's size, is using a grid-width of 18 for the block's positioning, which equals the size of a big custom stage.
In small stages, the viewport is just cropped down to 10.
Sadly, the cropping is "left-aligned" and thus always starting from 0.
So we have 0 - 17 for big and 0 - 9 for small stages.
As you can see, there's a gap from 10 - 17, and this is what you can use for those walk-off ledges.
So.. since there's no way of placing a block to the left beyond 0, you can only do those walk-off ledges on the right.
And yea.. you can only do it on small stages, and maybe mid, haven't tested it yet.
(A PM from Xane from a while back)

Lightningboalt

Smash Rookie
So its more or less impossible then? Oh well, at least half the stage can have it.

Any idea on flipping objects around in every direction though? Upside down spikes and springs would be awesome.

brawllegend

Smash Rookie
Err.. as far as I know, you would need Gecko OS (or at least Ocarina) if it were even possible..

I'm 95% sure you can't flip objects by modifying the Stage file tho..

EDIT* I have a suggestion: Could you make it possible to perfectly sync two moving platforms? I have two that I want to have the same x coordinate while their y coordinate changes, but remain equal to the other's y coordinates (two vertical). Also, there's an instance where I want a platform to reach its lowest point at the exact same time the other reaches its highest point (also vertical).

Horizontal sync would be nice as well.

Yeah.. I'm horrible at explaining things..

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie
A feature I'd like to suggest is the option to turn overlapping on/off.
Even though that's one of the main points of this program, I was trying to make a stage the old fashion way,
and it was a bit hard not to overlap them out of habit.

The only reason I would suggest this, is because Stage Studio is a lot faster than the real game...

triforceguy1

Smash Rookie
It would be cool if it was compatible with macs, but I bet long enough it will be available for macs :)

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
On the point of the 'death-respawning', the game calculates the respawn point by using the farthest right, left, top, and bottom object and finding the middle of that. When you place it to the right/top it loops the value to be at the 'far-off' side of the stage. Though from what I can tell, that's only calculated by the 'size' given to the object, so your program can actually work around that. In short, if you have an object bigger then its 'physical' stage builder size boundries, it won't be put into the respawn calculation. Shouldn't be anyways, since I've made a stage with upward-elevators-of-death and a ferris wheel that kills you to the right and top.
On that fact, I might as well prove my point about how it calculates respawn points, as well as the fact it is possible to work around the problem:

Stage Download (Don't bother trying to edit it, since 'Test' and 'Ok' will freeze on Brawl, and on the current Stage Studio stuff will revert to normal size.)

Edit: Also, I'd assume the P5-P8 spawn points on custom stages are alternate spawn locations for P1-P4, since in stages built in the game, most of them actually have it so P1 can spawn both in P1's spot and PX(Depends on how the game generates it)'s spot. So Xane, being able to place the other 4 where you want would be an easy way to test that.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
MAN! this is one nice polished program.

the only things i can think of adding to it would be an easy way to place multiples of the same object, just like in the in-game editor. perhaps make it the default way of placing objects, or it would be best if it was toggled by holding down a button.

and this would be the ultimate program if someone ported it to the DS so people could make/edit stages on their flashcards on the go

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
This should be the result of a stage file name which is too long. I once has "st_Fountain of Dreams.bin" as the file name, and it shows up in the stage builder but not in the select screen.
But after I changed the file name to "st_F of Dreams.bin", it worked. Maybe your file name is just too long.
"st_Mokudon" is less than "st_F of Dreams".
Can't be the file name. I have a feeling it has something to do with what region your in and how long ago you got your Wii.

what do i need to save the stage as?
The Stage Studio automatically saves it as ".bin".
As for your file name, just type a name and the Stage Studio adds "st_" to it.

EDIT* I have a suggestion: Could you make it possible to perfectly sync two moving platforms? I have two that I want to have the same x coordinate while their y coordinate changes, but remain equal to the other's y coordinates (two vertical). Also, there's an instance where I want a platform to reach its lowest point at the exact same time the other reaches its highest point (also vertical).
You can do this with fairly good timing.
Just wait until the already set item reaches its maximum range then click the new one so it will come out on the same time track. I used to do this in the old Stage Builder. Same thing for horizontal timing.

D

Deleted member

the only things i can think of adding to it would be an easy way to place multiples of the same object, just like in the in-game editor. perhaps make it the default way of placing objects, or it would be best if it was toggled by holding down a button.
That's already in there:
1. Place an object.
2. Right Click it.
3. Left Click where you want to place objects like that one
4. ?????????

BlankShot

Smash Rookie
When I finish making a stage, the program closes/crashes. Is it supposed to do this?

I'm using Vista btw.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
to Xane:

it's no particular pieces. For instance, if I used the orange bricks theme, I get columns that go up a grid but some that don't. In the futuristic theme, some features are moved and some aren't. The same with the nature theme. Some mushrooms go up a grid, others don't. I don't know why.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
to Xane:

it's no particular pieces. For instance, if I used the orange bricks theme, I get columns that go up a grid but some that don't. In the futuristic theme, some features are moved and some aren't. The same with the nature theme. Some mushrooms go up a grid, others don't. I don't know why.
The same happens to me, so far only with the Medium-sized grey sphere-ish-column-things in the futuristic theme. They end up placed 1 square above where they are displayed on the computer.

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
so what are the odds of being able to use pieces from one theme with another theme? Like, using a conveyor belt with the temple background. Or better yet, using all three types of blocks (nature, temple, futuristic) in one stage. Could really provide a lot more variety. My Saffron City stage would look so much better if it had the nature background rather than the futuristic one.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
That's already in there:
1. Place an object.
2. Right Click it.
3. Left Click where you want to place objects like that one
4. ?????????
ah, now i see

so what are the odds of being able to use pieces from one theme with another theme? Like, using a conveyor belt with the temple background. Or better yet, using all three types of blocks (nature, temple, futuristic) in one stage. Could really provide a lot more variety. My Saffron City stage would look so much better if it had the nature background rather than the futuristic one.
conveyor belts aren't background specific, they can be used in any theme

i guess some other suggestions would be:
-selecting back for music (despite having arrows both ways, it seems to always go forward)
-expand the object selection scroll area, so that we don't have to scroll much or at all, the images of the stage objects on the right side can be shrunk a bit

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
yeah, I wasn't sure about that. The fact that they look 'futuristic' threw me off. But the question still stands. :p

also, you can scroll back by placing the mouse over the music bar, then using the arrow keys

BioGenx2b

Smash Rookie
yeah, I wasn't sure about that. The fact that they look 'futuristic' threw me off. But the question still stands. :p

also, you can scroll back by placing the mouse over the music bar, then using the arrow keys
Just use Right-Click

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
Just a small bug here, but the original stages made on the program won't upload to any of the "stage browsers" (BS, AiB, etc). Previously made stages, after editing them with the program, don't seem bothered, but those initiated with it have problems.

Screencap with error and stage

EDIT: I receive the same error no matter what the stage is like. The same problem occurred with a simple 6-block wide stage.

Disco_Peach

Smash Cadet
The same happens to me, so far only with the Medium-sized grey sphere-ish-column-things in the futuristic theme. They end up placed 1 square above where they are displayed on the computer.
could that be caused in part by forcing the boundaries to go neither up or to the left and only down and right? i know it might have nothing to do with it, but sometimes changing a part of a code can mess up another one. if you still have the previous versions, see if the objects don't move up when you play them on the wii. because, like we've noticed, this bug isn't unique to certain pieces - or certain places on the grid for that matter (checked it out).

Megaflareon

Smash Rookie
Hmm....very cool looking stage. If you e-mail it to me,I might be willing to give it a shot :D

Eldiran

Smash Lord
could that be caused in part by forcing the boundaries to go neither up or to the left and only down and right? i know it might have nothing to do with it, but sometimes changing a part of a code can mess up another one. if you still have the previous versions, see if the objects don't move up when you play them on the wii. because, like we've noticed, this bug isn't unique to certain pieces - or certain places on the grid for that matter (checked it out).
Hmm, well, I don't think it has to do with the boundaries, because the stages I've made have all been with the edge passing option off. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean...

When I reload the map with the displaced objects, they are back in their original position. In other words, the StageStudio consistently places them 1 square beneath their corresponding Wii positions. The data isn't changed at all. From what I can tell it seems like the program is simply misassigning/misreading coordinates for these specific objects.

Let's compile a list of objects affected by this:

- Medium futuristic grey cylinder object
- Small cave stone pillar

That's all I've noticed so far. Anyone else?

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
Hmm, well, I don't think it has to do with the boundaries, because the stages I've made have all been with the edge passing option off. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean...

When I reload the map with the displaced objects, they are back in their original position. In other words, the StageStudio consistently places them 1 square beneath their corresponding Wii positions. The data isn't changed at all. From what I can tell it seems like the program is simply misassigning/misreading coordinates for these specific objects.

Let's compile a list of objects affected by this:

- Medium futuristic grey cylinder object
- Small cave stone pillar

That's all I've noticed so far. Anyone else?
I'll save everyone the trouble with a picture. All objects in the picture should be aligned with the blocks directly below them.

If the stage-specific(forest/ancient/future) object is an odd numbered height the alignment will be off (This includes blank space); An easy enough fix for Xane I'd assume.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Wow, thanks for all your support and bug reportings, I really appreciate that.
I'm getting my Wii back tomorrow, so I'll finally have the opportunity to test things.

EarthLord_CJ

Smash Cadet
You and your friends have outdone yourselves with this, Xane. The features, the posssibillities, and the menu, too!

Mad props to you and your team, and many, many thanks for this blessed thing you guys have created.

PS: I want that Brawl theme remix so badly. @_@

brawllegend

Smash Rookie
I just noticed something - the date the stages were created are really messed up like how they were when made with Ocarina. It says it was created on 617/616/2676 or something weird like that. lol, Ocarina was close though (well, compared to the other). It said 1/1/2000.

edit* It doesn't really bug me, but if you're a perfectionist...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BcydMIJfE (not sure where an mp3 is though)

but yeah the only things i can think of besides fixing the few glitches would be a bit easier to understand menus (i diddn't know you had to press left arrow or right click to go back in songs) and also make selecting objects a bit easier maybe. and maybe make a DS version... if anyone had too much time on their hands...

Fuhreak

Smash Rookie
(not sure where an mp3 is though)
You can just use Dragon Unpacker on the music file thing, it'll give you the original file.

... or if you're too lazy you can get it here.

It's .ogg so you'll need something like Winamp or XMplay.

Edit: Eh, WMP can do it too, I wouldn't know cause I never use it... too bulky.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Yay, Xane gets his Wii soon :D
Now he can put all of our bug reporting to the test.

I'm experimenting with things that effect respawn points...

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I have a problem where it closes the program every time I start to make a new stage, anyone know why? Also, all the text is just blocky white crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom