• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl ruleset at EVO

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Here's the ruleset they decided to come up with for Brawl this year:

Despite these being beta, these will mostly likely be the final ruleset minus a few tweaks in the next week. We just wanted to put them out there so people can discuss and make valid points.

Arguing in this thread in a non-civil manner will get you a ban ( no warnings required.)

Evo Brawl Beta Ruleset Revision 16
These rules are tentative and subject to change at any time.

First game of a match to be played on Evo Custom Map. Players can decide to play on any map, if both players agree.
Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match.
Losing player can pick a new stage or new character, not both.
Winner keeps character (users of Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Shiek, and Pokemon Trainer are currently ALLOWED to change which character/mode they start in even after a win) but must select character/mode before other player has to choose stage/character.
2 Stock, 3 Min timer, 3/5 Games
Items on medium spawn.
Sudden Death will decide the outcome of the game.
Allowed Items: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, Blast Box, Franklin Badge.
Banned Stages: New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Original Mario Brothers, Mushroomy Kingdom, Norfair.

The official evo stage will be up soon also so people can start messing with it (its being tested was we speak). If you want to test the stage, you can message me and ill tell you where to get it.
SRK thread - http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=155899

To me, it seems like EVO doesn't give a **** about the competitive community because people have arguing for no items since it was brought up. A tournament that caters to the general public rather than the competitive group doesn't seem worth while in going, especially for a big thing like EVO. So I'm not going to be supporting a company that promotes randomness and hates the competitive community.

Pimp Willy

Smash Rookie
lol 2 stocks + golden hammer. how unfair is that.
Thats true, except not in the manner you're thinking. Picking up the hammer is actually a good way to get easily stocked by your opponent, yes even the golden hammer.

Race

Smash Lord
thats so. . . . .stupid.

EVO must know how things were run in Melee, why the hell do they change it with the items for brawl? I Guess they think the most random guy is the winner in this game.

That's so idiotic, they'll ban anyone that complains in the thread? I mean c'mon man . .that's pathetic. I'm pretty sure all the truly skilled players and major crews/teams of the community won't even give this a second thought. And to who ever wins .. no one will care. .it doesn't prove anything, lol.

It really pisses me off on how they'll just ignore the competitive community like that, so they can make their own rules and "Be Different" from other fighting game events. This is what you get when you get a bunch of marvel and SF fan boys to think of a smash tourney for you, haha

I'm with JTB on this, not gonna support a company that hates and ignores the competitive community.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Thats true, except not in the manner you're thinking. Picking up the hammer is actually a good way to get easily stocked by your opponent, yes even the golden hammer.
I said WTF at the golden hammer too, but doesn't it rarely rarely rarely appear? At least that's what the disclaimer is.

--GCII

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Why can't someone just make a competitive fighter where the default rules are the most competitive? And then to make it more fun you can add items, switch modes, change timers, etc.

Wouldn't that be convenient.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
wow......even Idaho thinks thats bad....
Even Sakurai thinks that's bad...
Sakurai lives for items. He wishes everyone would play 2 minute free for alls on New Pork City. He wishes for the end of competitive gaming so that everyone could be a winner.

And even through all this, he would still look at EVO's rules and say "God ****, these rules ****ing suck".

I'll only go if they pay for my trip, and if they do, I still won't enter.

Miztik

Smash Master
yesterday when glenn was talking about evo with items i considered on trying to make it...but with those rules hell no...

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
If this ruleset stays, somebody should just hold a real brawl side tournament. There are usually multiple side tournaments for games that didn't make the lineup at the evo events, so we might as well make an effort to create a brawl one, since this ruleset is too much of a joke.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
If this ruleset stays, somebody should just hold a real brawl side tournament. There are usually multiple side tournaments for games that didn't make the lineup at the evo events, so we might as well make an effort to create a brawl one, since this ruleset is too much of a joke.
That would be hilarious. Imagine the looks on Mr. Wizard's face when the Brawl main event gets 20 entrants, and the SWF side tournament gets 300+. Let's make it happen.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Ima host a slot-machine tournament next to Evo, see how many think they have better odds at winning it.

somedude123

Smash Ace
i don't understand the evo people. first they dont add melee initially because its a "kiddie, party, no skill, etc" game. then they add brawl which is arguably a "kiddie, party, no skill, etc" game, at least compared to melee. and then they want to add items which is the epitome of a "kiddie, party, no skill, etc" game.

can someone enlighten me to their reasoning ? :confused:

S2

Smash Lord
If EVO is not going to 'get' tournament smash, I wish they'd just go all the way with it.

That involves EVO personnel, dressed as our parents, walking in front of the screen during matches and then wondering why the players are getting so mad about it when its "just a game".

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
if there was ever a more obvious time for MLG to swoop in and become adored by the smash community. it is now.

too bad i dont think brawl will make it. at lest not any time soon.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
New Quote

Mr Wizard said:
Closed.

This thread has turned into a shouting match between two websites that should have no beef with each other. I asked for rule debate with backup of proof, and almost no one has done that.

As far as people that state that we never officially asked SWF to do testing. Last I checked the official site of Evo is www.evo2k.com or www.shoryuken.com. If you expect official discussion my guess would be one of those sites. I'm also 100% sure that if something was posted on SRK in regards to a Brawl tournament, it was relayed to SWF in some capacity. Smash players aren't stupid, but if they chose to ignore a request, then that is their perogative.

We will continue to do research by talking with players over various items and stages, and if you wish to state your case with evidence that isnt just your own words, my PM box is always open, or you can email me at mrwizard [at] shoryuken dot com.

Thanks.
What a ****ing idiot.

If you care about going to evo, PM him about changing the rules and see what kind of response you get.

Miharu

Smash Hero
New Quote

What a ****ing idiot.

If you care about going to evo, PM him about changing the rules and see what kind of response you get.
We should mass PM him hatemail.

That, find out his real address, flood his mailbox with mre hatemail, etc. Stupid ****.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Seriously. If EVO's making stupid rules like that, only STUPID people would go.

I don't see any intelligent smashers from our community that are going to this. Whoever that's planning to go to EVO should just quit smash.

This is such a joke.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
O M F G

Now this is a joke.

I knew there rules would be bad...but god dman.

No one couldve forseen this.

Even the gamestop tournaments had better rules than this.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ugghh, i'll get a few of my business friends to write him a professional email that details why they should stick with the standard tournament rules or at least let dmbrandon run it in a week or so, whenever i'm done with finals. if anyone wants to bring up some arguments outside of **** evo please tell me now.

if they don't listen to that then **** evo

bbb

Smash Champion
This really sucks, I was looking forward to going out there and watching some 3s and playing some smash.

but what's the point of going through all that trouble to enter in some joke *** tourney, and I could probably catch the 3s matches on youtube anways.

man this sucks

Top Bottom