• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Anyone know where I can find a Ninten texture for Ness? I heard Stack Smash is a good place but when I went there it said the site was suspended...

Also does anyone know who made this Ness? Because I really want it!
Ha ha... Stack Smash made that one, actually. And you can view the site now; for whatever reason, we had a little... downtime... Not exactly sure why. I think it was some server problems or something rather. But, we're back up nonetheless. :)

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
This is seriously pissing me off. There's no way that BitTorrent should take DAYS to finish my .iso, and it's impossible for me to figure out how to make my own .iso. What's everyone else using? BitTorrent as well? I've never been able to actually complete a BitTorrent download. There MUST be something more effecient out there...

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ok question i has, it would be very appreciated if i get answer soon :)

how do i convert the .pac file to .pcs lol. i is newb

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
use lz77ex. Drag the .pac file inside the lz77ex file, not the folder and then run lz77ex.
ok thanks a bunch man. i know it was kinda a nooby question :p

Edit: wait a sec here....i get only a pac file even tho i put in a pac file, all i get is a .pac out file :/

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
This is seriously pissing me off. There's no way that BitTorrent should take DAYS to finish my .iso, and it's impossible for me to figure out how to make my own .iso. What's everyone else using? BitTorrent as well? I've never been able to actually complete a BitTorrent download. There MUST be something more effecient out there...
This is kinda illegal to download .isos but I'll help you out <_<.
I suggest using uTorrent.
And check if your torrent has anyone seeding the file

jokey665

Smash Ace
This is kinda illegal to download .isos but I'll help you out <_<.
I suggest using uTorrent.
And check if your torrent has anyone seeding the file
Pretty much this. I got mine (a dvd5 iso) from mininova. I dunno what you're using but you could try that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

You can't, you turn pcs files into pac, but I dont think it can be done the other way around.

Sircubes

Smash Rookie
Can someone tell me what the textures 'nuki' and 'ref' are for, for Meta Knight? I'm making a few edits for him, and well... I can't figure out what they are even though I made them obnoxious colors xD. I have my idea of what one of them could be, but that doesn't help -sweat-

I read earlier in this thread "With nuki, ref, and siro, if you don't know what they do... don't mess with them"... don't give me that crap xD. Because I will keep messing with them until I figure it out or else it will drive me insane.

Thanks in advance :). (And of course I'll thank you later if you wish >_>)

Steelia

Smash Champion

To make a PCS file, you have to go through a... rather tedious process of hexing.

For starters, you'd need to get programs NTCompress, ActivePerl, and some hex editing program (I'd highly recommend Hex Editor Neo... if you can find a good, working copy *coughversion4.21cough*).

The entire process is explained on the guide ]SyntaxError[ made before they closed down. I don't know where exactly this guide can be found working, however.

But, if you'd rather go a *MUCH* easier route, download the ASH program (found on first page), put whatever PAC file you're needing assistance with making into PCS inside the folder with ASH... and if the textures are already edited, simply execute the ASH program... and you'll have a PCS file no problem. :) (Of course, you may need to download some of the required programs for ASH to work properly.)

Can someone tell me what the textures 'nuki' and 'ref' are for, for Meta Knight? I'm making a few edits for him, and well... I can't figure out what they are even though I made them obnoxious colors xD. I have my idea of what one of them could be, but that doesn't help -sweat-

I read earlier in this thread "With nuki, ref, and siro, if you don't know what they do... don't mess with them"... don't give me that crap xD. Because I will keep messing with them until I figure it out or else it will drive me insane.

Thanks in advance :). (And of course I'll thank you later if you wish >_>)
'nuki' and 'ref'... Unfortunately, I don't have any Meta Knight files nearby, but if memory serves me correctly, I'll try to explain whatever's what.

I know one of them is that deep brown-colored texture... correct? A small box with an Alpha Layer containing some transparency? That's shading used beneath his mask... As in, the open spot where his eyes are. Shading above his eyes. Something there.

Another one is that black box with a small blurred white spot. That, I believe is used for Meta Knight's shoulder pads... though what it does exactly, I have no idea. I tried messing with it once and it turned his shoulder pads pink (even though I never touched that piece on his original textures before). >_>

And the last... is that weird circular colorful/metallic texture. That, I have no idea. I THINK it has a little something to do with how the lighting/shading works, and perhaps making things appear more vivid... I don't know. I've only seen it on Zelda, when you make some of her gems transparent, that texture'll show up.

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
What do you do if ASH says "this texture erroneous colors! Press any key to continue"
I've pressed a bunch a key and I keep getting the same error.

Steelia

Smash Champion
What do you do if ASH says "this texture erroneous colors! Press any key to continue"
I've pressed a bunch a key and I keep getting the same error.
If I'm correct, that either means:
-it was a +1/+2 texture, and it wasn't properly indexed; or
-the +1/+2 texture WAS indexed, but has too many colors.

Simply lower the quality of the picture some, and you should have no problems. :)

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
Well, when I use ash with the files in the Original Textures link, just modified, I have all of the correct folder names, but it says "No Alpha Layer". WTF?!

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Well, everything's all nice and downloaded. I'm extracting with 7-zip, but only half of the iso will fit on one of my 8-gig memory sticks. Is this right? I don't think the iso is THAT much more than 8 gigs, if it's more at all. Of course, I get the first half of the iso, SANS PARTITION 2, which is the only part I care about. >_<

Sircubes

Smash Rookie
To make a PCS file, you have to go through a... rather tedious process of hexing.

For starters, you'd need to get programs NTCompress, ActivePerl, and some hex editing program (I'd highly recommend Hex Editor Neo... if you can find a good, working copy *coughversion4.21cough*).

The entire process is explained on the guide ]SyntaxError[ made before they closed down. I don't know where exactly this guide can be found working, however.

But, if you'd rather go a *MUCH* easier route, download the ASH program (found on first page), put whatever PAC file you're needing assistance with making into PCS inside the folder with ASH... and if the textures are already edited, simply execute the ASH program... and you'll have a PCS file no problem. :) (Of course, you may need to download some of the required programs for ASH to work properly.)

'nuki' and 'ref'... Unfortunately, I don't have any Meta Knight files nearby, but if memory serves me correctly, I'll try to explain whatever's what.

I know one of them is that deep brown-colored texture... correct? A small box with an Alpha Layer containing some transparency? That's shading used beneath his mask... As in, the open spot where his eyes are. Shading above his eyes. Something there.

Another one is that black box with a small blurred white spot. That, I believe is used for Meta Knight's shoulder pads... though what it does exactly, I have no idea. I tried messing with it once and it turned his shoulder pads pink (even though I never touched that piece on his original textures before). >_>

And the last... is that weird circular colorful/metallic texture. That, I have no idea. I THINK it has a little something to do with how the lighting/shading works, and perhaps making things appear more vivid... I don't know. I've only seen it on Zelda, when you make some of her gems transparent, that texture'll show up.
Thanks for the information :). Yea, the one that messes with his shoulder pads I think is like a shine spot on it. I made mine all yellow o-O.

And the weird metallic like texture I thought might have to do with when he goes to teleport he has a blurred effect, it kinda reminds me of heat waves. But Changing the color to bright green didn't do anything at all, so i don't know >_<.

The shading underneath the mask MIGHT be why my Meta Knight is missing an eye xD. I dunno I'll have to look into that.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have a list of all the files that absolutely need to be in my folder to properly run ASH? It keeps telling me in Step 1 a few times that it can't find certain files or certain files already exist when I try to extract a .pac file. All the files are in the appropriate folders in .tga format and I can edit them. But in Step 2 there isn't anyway to create my new .pac and .pcs files.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Thanks for the information :). Yea, the one that messes with his shoulder pads I think is like a shine spot on it. I made mine all yellow o-O.

And the weird metallic like texture I thought might have to do with when he goes to teleport he has a blurred effect, it kinda reminds me of heat waves. But Changing the color to bright green didn't do anything at all, so i don't know >_<.

The shading underneath the mask MIGHT be why my Meta Knight is missing an eye xD. I dunno I'll have to look into that.

Thanks a bunch! :D
No problem with the info.
As for him missing 1 eye... that's a +2 thing. Hopefully you're ASH-ing him.
If this is the case... some +2 textures (such as Meta Knight's eye) require some other necessary steps. You need to apply the color magenta to his texture file to make certain parts of it transparent.
So... from the beginning... (Trust me, it's not as bad as it looks... I just like to talk. :3 )

-Naturally, open Meta Knight's +2 eye file.
-Check the Index to see how many colors it is (so not to exceed when Indexing it later yourself). I believe it's 113, or close to that.
-Edit Meta Knight's eye to your liking.
~Now for the part where you might be missing out on.~
-If using Photoshop, select Meta Knight's eye with the Selection tool.
-Right-click inside the selection, "Inverse selection" (or something like that, where it deselects the eye and selects everything else around it instead).
-INDEX... Make sure Index is at least 2 or so away from original index (or lower, if you prefer).
-Go to Image -> Mode -> Color Table (located somewhere beneath the Index box).
-There should be a bunch of rows with boxes of colors, and at the end boxes with no colors. Click on one of those colorless boxes.
-Fill that box with MAGENTA (or ff00ff, or R: 255; G: 0; B: 255, whatever route works :p ).
-"OK".
-Manually select the color Magenta (ff00ff) and fill the selection AROUND Meta Knight's edited eye with the magenta coloring. Preferably with a Brush tool, or Pencil tool.
-Save your file, of course.

That SHOULD work. To sum it, all you're doing is filling in the excess black area around Meta Knight's eye with Magenta. It will go transparent... and he will have two eyes.
Hope that works out for you. :)

Does anyone have a list of all the files that absolutely need to be in my folder to properly run ASH? It keeps telling me in Step 1 a few times that it can't find certain files or certain files already exist when I try to extract a .pac file. All the files are in the appropriate folders in .tga format and I can edit them. But in Step 2 there isn't anyway to create my new .pac and .pcs files.
I believe there's the "readme" file included with the ASH program... either in TXT or HTML format, I forget which. It notes what is needed.

Well, when I use ash with the files in the Original Textures link, just modified, I have all of the correct folder names, but it says "No Alpha Layer". WTF?!
Hmm. Are you using another texture-editing program, such as GIMP? GIMP I believe deletes Alpha Layers... I'd highly recommend Photoshop, if you're not already using it.
Now, if you're using Photoshop... make sure you aren't accidentally Indexing non-palette textures (as in, do NOT Index anything that doesn't have +1 or +2 after it in the file name).
Other than that... I have no clue what could be the problem.

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
I believe there's the "readme" file included with the ASH program... either in TXT or HTML format, I forget which. It notes what is needed.
I have everything on that list except WiiScrubber and the SSBB backup. I heard those were optional though, as long as you have a .pac file that you can edit.

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
-_-
Amazingly, no one has acknowledged that they even read my question.
-_-
Kind of makes me wonder if I exist to others.
-_-

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
how exactly did the moveset swapping thing go about? couldn't we use that to find a way to, uh, do something other than just make textures? such as edit effects?

q.e.d. how exactly did he do that
Moveset swapping is usually quite creepy to see. Personally, I'd avoid that stuff and focus solely on texture edits.

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
:/

Well, personally, some are cool, and some are funny, and some are veeeeeeery unstable, such as snake w/ captain falcon's moveset.

Some of them are completely stable, such as Jigglypuff with Kirby's moveset (tho the neutral B, up B, and down B all make jigglypuff go into the T shape), and are epic win in battle! (Jigglykirby's up throw is instant KO! BAM! BAM! BAM! XD)
Tho I personally prefer texture hacks.
So, texture hacks, or moveset swaps. It's your pick.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
how exactly did the moveset swapping thing go about? couldn't we use that to find a way to, uh, do something other than just make textures? such as edit effects?

q.e.d. how exactly did he do that
Move swaps have nothing to do with effects.

Effects are similar to textures, most of them are universal so if you edit lightning for one character to be fire, every other character will be affected.

Very few are unique, like Pit's arrows which can be changed into a different color. Or Lucario's aura.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Character Images(CSPs):
X:\Private\Wii\App\RSBE\pf\system\common5.pac
X:\Private\Wii\App\RSBE\pf\info\portrite\InfFace###.brres
X:\Private\Wii\App\RSBE\pf\menu\common\char_bust_t ex\MenSelchrFaceB###.brres

I want to use CSP's via SD card...............I dont understand how it works

If I download a csp what do I do with it and where do I place it on my SD?

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ok i have a few questions that would be appriciated if they were answered

1) my friend has been trying to apply a transparent texture to our project, to my knowledge, he set everything so that it should be transparent (im not sure what they are atm...) but to no avail.

2) in this project, we are trying to set peach's eyes to her partially closed image in place of her fully open eye texture. but when he applied the changes to the open eye, and i tested it, her eye was fully open with some of her eye lashes gone.

any thoughts? if i was unclear on any of my questions, please say so, and ill reiterate.

by the way. the program he is using to edit the textures is called Creative Suite 3 in case that helps out

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to make textures for Sheik and Yoshi, but I'm have trouble with Yoshi_egg+2.tga
(contains no egg only light blue)
and EyeHigh+2.tga (is only light green). When I start the game, Sheik has these
scary gridy eye's (no iris) and Yoshi has no egg only with a round thing with lines.
I have indexed both of the files in Photoshop with and without transparency, same result.

How do I fix this?

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Step_1 tells me it can't find certain files and whatnot, but it properly makes the .pac file into .tga files. But Step_2 will give me an error every time I put y for any of the the questions, and won't make the new files that I need. This is what my ASH folder looks like prior to putting the .pac file in:

Do I ABSOLUTELY need the ISO and WiiScrubber? Or is it just for getting the .pac files? Because I don't have any space to download too much. :ohwell:

Green_Swirl

Smash Cadet
try typing yes instead of y

but that might not work

remember to type no for all the ones you dont want added to the new .pac
It didn't seem to do anything different. It only messes up when I say yes or y, I can actually make the new files by saying no for all of them, though that obviously leaves me with the files I started with. :urg: In Step_1, does it ever say anything like "______ could not be found", or "_______ already exists"?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I have been contemplating doing a menu reskin. Why is it that when I try to extract certain pacs (Sorry I can't remember which) ASH crashes?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Either way, it will take time since the Main Menu Pac is over 6MB, hence why it takes nearly an hour for ASH to extract it.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ok i have a few questions that would be appriciated if they were answered

1) my friend has been trying to apply a transparent texture to our project, to my knowledge, he set everything so that it should be transparent (im not sure what they are atm...) but to no avail.

2) in this project, we are trying to set peach's eyes to her partially closed image in place of her fully open eye texture. but when he applied the changes to the open eye, and i tested it, her eye was fully open with some of her eye lashes gone.

any thoughts? if i was unclear on any of my questions, please say so, and ill reiterate.

by the way. the program he is using to edit the textures is called Creative Suite 3 in case that helps out
anyone? anyone? bueller?.... >_________________________>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom